Turtle On The Beach

ITDC Road, Kovalam 695527 India

Good

Could not ask for Better!!!

"Five of us were on a personalized tour of South India and Maldives, when we spent two nights at the Turtle on the Beach. We were advised by our tour operator that there was no accommodation available at The Leela (we had researched on the internet) for those days. Well, I cannot say enough about this wonderful Turtle on the Beach hotel and honestly we could not ask for better!!. Greetings from the lovely representative Ann Mathew, the welcome smiles of all the front desk staff and cold drink started us off on the right foot, after a long journey. Our spacious, beautifully decorated air conditioned room and the view of the ocean from our huge balcony was breathtaking. It is true that the hotel had yet to receive its liquor license, but that did not stop us from getting to the liquor store half km away to get some cold beer and enjoy it in balcony while watching the sunset and listening to the sound of the waves. Indeed the sunset on the horizon through the palm trees was exquisite. ( check out our picture). The staff in the dining room were very pleasant and could not do more or enough to satisfy our needs. We checked out of the hotel on Nov 2 en route to the Maldives for three nights. Ann Mathew took care of our little "tea plant" while we were away and when we returned we went over to pick it up. The staff knew that our tour operator had booked us at The Leela for one night of Nov 5 (upon our return), yet they accommodated us and took care of our "tea plant". We are incredibly thankful to them for doing that for us. Finally, although our stay at The Leela was good, (bar not available as it was being renovated) for those of you that are going to Kovalam, I highly recommend the Turtle on the Beach."

• Travel date: Thu 9th of December 2010

Good - but could be better

"We chose Turtle on the Beach at the last moment as the booked hotel (Uday Samudra) had received very negative reviews.
Check In was prompt and we were shown to our room. As we had been on the road for 5 hours, a cold beer was required, and while the hotel is not licenced, 2 Kingfishers arrived within 5 minutes. The room was large with a picture window out to sea, large balcony and both ceiling fan and a/c.
Rather than eat at the hotel, we walked down the hill to Kovalam beach where we tried several of the bars and restaurants, and used a rickshaw to climb back up.
Breakfast was adequate, though nothing special.
The title Turtle on the Beach is a misnomer, as the "direct" access to the beach involves a lot of steps through the lower complex followed by a very rough, steep "path" below that. Only did it once!!
As we were checking out on my birthday, the staff had obviously checked my passport, and we were given a birthday cake when we got back to the hotel on the last night - a nice touch. I also got birthday greetings at breakfast."

• Travel date: Sun 28th of November 2010

This is the 2nd time of my Visit

Good

"Rooms: the room i stayed in was the Suite room; but when you're a guest at a 5-star hotel, even 'standard' translates to way above
"Excellent property. Very green and serene.
"Best value for money. Location, romantic view from the top floor and personal recommendation of 5 stars."
It was my Bday and warm welcome with the Pool side Candle light dinner was awesome.
The room service was splendid and all the service provided by the hotel like my ticket confirmation, wake up call, Aiport transport facility.
This hotel keeps up the 5star standards and highly recommended.
I chose to visit this Hotel becuse this was highly recommended by my Corporate office."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of December 2010

NICE PLACE TO STAY

"Beautiful location , bigger room , excellent interior in room as well as hotel . the hotel is located just in front of beautiful sea . from our room balcony we can feel the wind and hear the sound of the sea . we receive warm welcome . the front office staffs were very active and we had express check in . our room was beautiful with all modern amenities.pool and restaurant were little bit small but well maintained. again restaurant staffs were very good .
one surprise program of preparing and mixing the cake had lot of fun . over all we had great time at turtle ."

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of November 2010

Turtles on the Beach - A Real GEM of this Planet

"I had been to the Turtles in the month of December last year. Its the beast hotel I had ever visited so far. Best reception on arrival with their traditional welcome. We had booked a sea facing room. The room was fully equipped with all necessary amenities. The sight of the Arabian Sea in the evening at Sun Set time was the best thing we loved. We had been to Kerala for the first time. We just informed the Manager that we would like to do the sightseeing of all the nearby places, and they arranged it all for us withing no time. The best staff having expertise in making their guest just FEEL AT HOME....... Best food with good Service staff. OVERALL THE BEST PLACE ON THIS PLANET!!! Only one thing that we would wish that the hotel gets its licence for liquor very soon, though we did not face any problems. The managers were quite helpful to provided whatever we wanted."

• Travel date: Wed 24th of November 2010

Not a 5 star

"This hotel has many good points but it is nowhere near 5 star quality. The staff are friendly but inefficient. The gym is dangerous and the pathway down to the beach is a real hazard. It is the first 'five star' hotel I have ever been to that does not have an alcohol license (why?) so if you ask for a beer they serve it to you in a tea cup. The worst thing is the service, which is without doubt the slowest in any hotel I have ever stayed in - we frequently waited half an hour for a drink or even longer for food. On the plus side the breakfasts were good and the room we stayed in was lovely and had a great view. The attached ayurvedic spa was also excellent. Overall we were disappointed as we expected 5 star and this was 4 at best."

• Travel date: Sun 14th of November 2010

The worse 5Star Hotel I've ever been

"We booked a Hotel of the Thomas-Group and got an confimation. Once we showed up they have lost our resevation and forwarded us to an other Hotel of their Group: The Turtle on the Beach - a brand new 5 Star Hotel in Kovalam. Check in was easy, but the Room smelled very mouldy - later on we knew why. They provided us no information about the facility they just handed us the key and let us alone. It was the last day of our Vacation, so we decided to enjoy the sun set at the bar with a drink staring at the ocean and having a good time. As we asked for the Menu the water said:"Sorry we have no license for alcohol so far" - No problem, an evening with a beautiful sn set can be nice with mocktails, but all Drinks at the Menu aren't avaliable - just Coffe, Tea and Icetea. After this experince we decided to have dinner and some drinks at the Leela Kempinski right beside the Turtle on the Beach. It was then a nice evening with a beautiful sun set. When we came back to the Hotel we arranged a taxi to the Airport next for the next morning and they promised us everything is set for the next day. Returning to the room we found out why the room was so smelly. Water was running down the wall and we informed the reception - the only thing they advised us was to open the window against the bad smell - not bad for a 20.000 INR (333Euro) room. Next morning at the brakfast we were very happy about the decision NOT to have dinner at this Hotel. They are using Paper tea cloth- thats quite normal- but they don't change it so that you could emagine what the prior guest had for beakfast. We just wanted to leave this horroble Hotel and we asked after check out for our taxi - they lost the taxireservation as well and last minute we arrived at the airport(and had to pay for the ride as well) - After all: overstrained Staff and no access to the Beach - what at Turtle on the Beach"

• Travel date: Mon 15th of November 2010

Honeymoon !!! Excellent & amazing memorable life time experience "Turtle on The Beach, Kovalam"

"Hi all,

This June 2010, I got married and was bit confused over where to go on honeymoon. As the search went on for destination of honeymoon I came across with reviews over Kerala, they were excellent. Now I took a random chance over Turtle on Beach for my stay during honeymoon period and guess what, It was amazing ...reception, room service staff, restaurant of the hotel to the laundry staff everyone was like excellent and well mannered. It was fully equipped with all amenities. The best thing which needs to be appreciated is a surprise of Cake party on arrival night by managing Director Mr. Mahesh as he probably knew that we were on honeymoon.

Location of the hotel is quite approachable from airport and station. It is located on Kovalam beach itself and from rooms The vision of sea is excellent. At night you may watch the soothing sea and sound of waves clearly. Beach is on 5 minutes walkable distance from hotel.

Overall for me it was a good decision to stay, my wife was also impressed with the view we had and co operation of hotel staff specially thanks to Mr Mahesh for making a pleasant stay at Turtle."

• Travel date: Mon 15th of November 2010

Value for money

Good

"beach was great from the room i stayed, had a great business trip and food at Turtle made the day, not sure about others but had a great experience at turtle, would like to try others but certainly would come back to turtle for the food"

• Travel date: Fri 5th of November 2010

Exceeded expectations !!!

"Large room and nice staff; Delicious food; We had a wonderful time here! We enjoyed it very much! A like home feeling; Thanks for the beautiful memories

In short, the hotel was very good for the money paid. Exactly what you need from a hotel. We will go there again."

• Travel date: Sun 31st of October 2010

Heaven On Earth

"A poem written during our stay at Turtle On Beach, Kovalam, Trivandrum

Kerala is a lush coastal region,
Cool bracing climate is its season.
Palm trees and lazy waterfalls,
Golden beaches decked with sandy halls.

But Turtle On Beach is an awesome place,
It is Mother Nature with a blue bed.

Families bonding together,
Over breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I am very pleased to give my opinion on Turtle On Beach because i can honestly say that i thoroughly enjoyed my stay there. The hotel is very modern and provided all the facilities one could ask for. My room was spotlessly clean and the bowl of fruit and Daily paper provided is a nice gesture. The staff were very polite and friendly and nothing that i asked for was too much trouble. I always enjoy breakfast and the breakfasts Turtle On Beach provide are 1st class. I would recommend this Hotel to anyone and i will definitely be coming back. Many Thanks to the Turtle On Beach."

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of November 2010

worth for the price

Good

"had a wonderful stay. Rooms have sea view.Food was great.......... all a whole we loved the hotel.........."

• Travel date: Sat 30th of October 2010

Hotels near Turtle On The Beach

Stayed at Turtle On The Beach? Share your insight.

Turtle On The Beach is also called