Excellent

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"Excellent, quiet resort for a honeymoon. Beautiful and spacious suites. Excellent management.

Very reasonable , Great value for money.

Honest and friendly staff."

• Travel date: Sun 17th of September 2006

Not 4-Diamond but great for the budgeted traveler

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"This was a nice property and I would highly suggest it for the budgeted traveler. Breakfast, included w/the room, was very good. Lunch/Dinner I'd skip...too pricey when you consider area restaurants are as good in quality and less in price.
The staff was OUTSTANDING! My kudos still go to Savio, our loyal Goan waiter, and our housekeeper who, recognizing with had a toddler with us, would shape our bathroom towels into lilly pads and swans and leave them on our bed every day. She was a delight.
Our room was small but clean. I only wished there had been more closet space. The shower had running hot water and there were plenty of amenities in the bathroom.
Our stay was in August - off season without a doubt. Never was able to experience their gift shop or "spa" since it was off season and closed. Because it was monsoon season as well, the beach was too choppy to experience so only long walks were available. Pool was not heated either so that limited our pool time considering our son is only 1.
Overall though, if you want to be in a secluded area away from the touristy end of Goa I would definitely suggest it. I work for a 4-Diamond property here in the US so my tastes are particular. I'd still recommend it."

• Travel date: Sun 10th of September 2006

Great place for any one with the right expectation

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"This has been a great holiday for us. I had been longing to get away from this world and had planned out an ideal holiday. It got better by reaching Goa and then even better to see the resort. Bang on the beach, we did have some initial hiccups while checking in as I had made the booking thru' Makemytrip where there was no clarity of the room booked. Service also has been poor and hence I had to take the numbers of Varca Palms myself.

In a matter of few minutes we were helped by the reception incharge who upgraded my stay to a Garden villa. Room was close to the pool yet quite. I never missed the football world cup as they had set up a huge screen at Neels Cabana where we had dinner regularly. Weather did play a little spoil sport, as it got very hot. My wife and I had got a chance to spend enough time to ourselves on the beach..

I will definitely visit again. One more thing... I was wondering how I will manage on my own... but even before I could get there I managed to get some hosts as well.. Kenneth Silveria and Emanuel. Zoom around in their cars.. u will love it a lot."

• Travel date: Sun 25th of June 2006

A major letdown

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"We were told to expect a 4-star resort, but Varca Palms Beach Resort is nothing of the kind. It all started badly. We had arranged for an airport pickup as part of the package, but noone showed up! The hotel staff insisted that they had sent someone, but later the taxi guy said they hadn't informed him at all. So we had to take a taxi (which they did reimburse) after a half-hour wait outside the airport.

The room was rather basic, small, and poorly furnished. The bathroom was even worse -- it stank, and there was no exhaust fan. I suspect they use recycled water in the toilets, and it isn't properly treated. We found cockroaches in the bathroom too. Worse, the flush didn't work and they couldn't fix it. My repeated pleas to shift us to another room were ignored. The manager (if there is one) never even showed up to find out what was wrong, let alone apologise for the inconvenience. We were travelling with a small kid, and the bathroom problem really bugged us. The staff wasn't exactly cooperative, and they seem to live by some stringent 'rules' -- for example, your "welcome drink" must be consumed within the lobby! (I kid you not). Not only did they refuse to send it to our room, they refused to let me take it with me!

On the flip side, the location is nice. The beach adjacent to the hotel is excellent. And the food at the restaurant -- Neil's Cabana -- was fine (nothing special, but no complaints). The restaurant staff and service was very courteous, in total contrast to the rest."

• Travel date: Sun 23rd of April 2006

Very Good Experience

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"My wife and I are from California, and stayed in Varca for a weekend escape from our work in Hyderabad. My wife was weary of the hotel because of the previous reviews, but we booked it anyways because of the location in South Goa and the price.

The room was clean and nice. The food was good, although not excellent. The atmosphere was the best, and the beach is beautiful. I think this place will get negative reviews because it is frequented by Euros and unless they get 5-star quality, they --- and moan. Hello, this isn't a 5 star hotel. It's a nice resort at an excellent price. If you want 5-star quality, put your money where your mouth is and pay $300+ a night at some other place.

In conclusion, great atmosphere, good staff. We actually had to stay in the Guesthouse hotel next door on the first night because Varca Palms was overbooked, but big deal. I'm on vacation and don't have time to ---- and moan. chou."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of January 2006

Latest about Resorte de Goa

Reviewed Thu 11th of October 2012

"Hi
Resorte de Goa is no more.The old Management changed and it is now called Varca Palms Beach Resort.The location is still virgin not much noise and beach is calm,quiet.

The new URL is ---
Facility

Du Jardin -The Resturant
Feni Bar -Bar
Waves - Beach Side Bar
Neel's Cabanaa - Beach Side Shack
Splash -Pool Bar
They have a place over looking the beach for the intimate private dining,they do have water sports,ayurveda centre,every evening live band.

Thanks and Regards to all my old good friends whom i meet there.
Mathew
[email protected]"

• Travel date: Tue 6th of December 2005

Wonderful empty beaches

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"My husband and I stayed at the Hotel in 2004 when it was Resort de Goa and it was wonderful the staff were friendly and we couldnt wait to go back this year. On arrival we waited 2 hours to be allocated a room within the Hotel when we had in fact booked and paid for a villa. We argued along with 3 other couples about accommodation and the attitude was appalling. We eventually got moved to a villa where the air conditioning was so noisy w couldnt sleep and and found our key also opened the chalet adjoining. The air conditioning then broke down and we moved again ( third time in 10 days) they then started renovating a villa in front of us with workman working all night we complained about it and nothing was done. No-one could sit round the pool for the noise and dust that was going on. when we returned we complained to our travel agent but when they spoke to the Hotel they insisted no work was going on at the time we were there. We have the whole thing on video. this is a tragedy as people have been going there year after year because of the location and the staff. I dont think any of these people intended going back. It was almost likely a family reunion every year but the new management have spoiled this."

• Travel date: Tue 18th of October 2005

Bad service. Go elsewhere.

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"Visited ‘Varca Palms’ a few years ago when it was ‘Resorte de Goa’. The site has been improved since the first visit with new ‘Beach shack’ restaurant within the grounds of the hotel, the grounds have been tidied up, and new watersports facilities Eg parasailing, waterskiing.

SERVICE
With all the improvements, the service needs to be vastly improved as all the original staff working at the hotel under ‘Resorte de Goa’, have been replaced by young, inexperienced staff. When we arrived at the hotel, the staff at the reception appeared confused and insisted on a deposit even though we had booked 6 months previously.

One evening we were the only people in the ‘beach shark’ surrounded by 9 members of staff, and had to wait 10 minutes before we could order a drink.

ROOMS
The rooms are clean and basic with aircon. Note that the suites do not contain aircon in the separate lounge area.

FOOD
The choice of food at the ‘Beach Shack’ is good with Indian, Oriental, and Italian selections. It is of course hotel prices and not goan beach shack prices.

Food for Half board guests is served in the gardens next to the main block of the hotel, with a choice of Indian and Contential food. Although I would recommend to go bed and breakfast because if you wish to eat at the ‘Beach Shack’ (after negotiation with management to choose from the full meanu), you only get 500R for two people to spend only on food + tax, when the cost of the Half board package is an extra1300R.

ENTERTAINMENT
Evening entertainment is at the ‘Beach Shack’ with local dancers and bands.

SUMMARY
This hotel needs to improve its service. After 4 days, we decided to move on to a hotel down the beach as we were fed up with the service we were receiving, and the general attitude of the staff. We stayed at the hotel out of season, when the hotel only had 25% capacity. Would not go back."

• Travel date: Sat 14th of May 2005

Hotel has changed its name

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"We have visited the Resorte de Goa twice and on trying to book again find it is has changed management and is now called Varca Palms Beach Resort.
I do hope they have kept the friendly atmosphere that everybody enjoyed. The staff were wonderful.
The beach nearby was fantastic, a couple of people selling things but if you said no they just stopped and chatted to you until another potential customer arrived. You could walk for miles on the beach and not meet many people at all. 3 beach shacks locally for food or taxis to take you to nearby restaurants.
The hotel itself is basic but its only 2 star so what do you expect?
I would say that 90% of the people who visited this hotel returned to it, not necessarily the next year but a few years later which says a lot about the place."

• Travel date: Tue 8th of February 2005