Going downhill rapidly.

Reviewed Thu 26th of March 2015

"My wife and I have just returned from a two-week stay at Cidade de Goa. We have stayed at this hotel at least a dozen times over the past twenty years but, sadly, we have had to conclude that we will never go back again as the hotel is going downhill rapidly.

The hotel has two major problems:

1. Weddings. The main focus of the hotel is now hosting weddings which they do with no regard to the comfort and convenience of their guests. Indian weddings carry on for two or three days and always involve very, very loud disco-style parties by day and by night. The hotel sites these discos in the poolside areas or on the beach, where they cause maximum disruption to other guests, and allows music to be played at deafening volumes round the clock and until late at night. It is totally impossible for other guests to relax and enjoy themselves while a wedding is taking place - and a very large number of weddings now take place at this hotel.

2. Standards. Sadly, standards have slipped over recent years and have now dropped to an unacceptable level. For example, during our last visit my wife was served a drink in a glass that had black mold growing in it! A photograph is attached. Not only was this utterly disgusting and something that should never, ever happen at a supposedly five-star hotel but, when informed of this appalling lapse in hygiene, the hotel manager insisted that clumps of black mold in the glass were not mold at all but that the glass was simply “looking hazy due to the color having faded” A hotel with this attitude to hygiene and cleanliness (and honesty!) does not deserve a five-star rating.

The Cidade de Goa continues to charge five-star prices but delivers a third-class service.

• Travel date: Thu 26th of March 2015

Excellent

Reviewed Thu 18th of December 2008

"My two children absolutely loved it- from pool to beach and back to pool,this is how they spent the week.Food-out of this world- south indian,north indian,goan,chinese,you name it.Staff very friendly.The beach is small, but your own. Jetski, boating is available"

• Travel date: Thu 18th of December 2008

my partner and i stayed at cidade de goa...

Reviewed Tue 27th of May 2008

"my partner and i stayed at cidade de goa in feb 2008, and were very disappointed as there were no sunbeds on the beach and very few around the poolside, if you were fortunate to get a bed, you had to be up and out for 7.00am, even at this time most were taken, and sometimes they would move your towel and bag off your bed if you went for breakfast and were not back within twenty minutes. we absolutely love goa, but we would not go back to this hotel again. we did actually stay there two years ago,which there were plenty of sunbeds on beach and poolside plus hammocks, but after this holiday obviously it has all changed, and not for the better."

• Travel date: Tue 27th of May 2008

This was an excellent hotel. The standar...

Reviewed Mon 7th of January 2008

"This was an excellent hotel. The standards of cleanliness were very high, and the staff were very friendly and efficient.

Our room was large and we had every facility we could wish for, lots of little extras - even a newspaper every day. We could have had clean towels twice a day if we had wanted, as the maids came round again at 1830, but we considered it a bit of a waste, so didn't take them up on the offer.

We were on a B&B basis and the breakfasts were excellent, plenty to choose from. There was the option of full, half or all inclusive I think also. There were 4 restaurants to choose from plus a bar and a cake eatery.

The prices however were not typical of Goa, and we found we were paying about 3 times the normal, but then again it was a five star hotel, and we were paying for the surroundings, and the excellent service. A word of warning though, the prices on the menus did not include the tax of 20% for some things and 12.5% for others, so it is advisable to pay the bill every day, as you could get a shock if you leave it till the end of the holiday.

There was entertainment every night in the taverna, and the artistes were usually of a very high standard.

Although there were lifts in the hotel the road down is very steep and would be unsuitable for anyone with walking difficulties. But taxis are cheap and numerous. However again if you book the hotel taxis they are about 3 times the normal price. There is a taxi rank at the top of the road, and we used to phone up one of the drivers from our room, when we wanted a taxi.

Although the hotel claims to have a private beach the situation is actually at the end of the river estuary, so it's not a proper beach at all and the water is not very clean. So if you like to spend a lot of time on the beach this is not the holiday for you unless you get a taxi to the numerous beaches in the area, which does not cost the earth.

This was a great base for exploring other areas and I would thoroughly recommend it."

• Travel date: Mon 7th of January 2008

Had a good holiday at the Cidade de Goa....

Reviewed Mon 23rd of July 2007

"Had a good holiday at the Cidade de Goa. It’s a nice hotel that has beautiful grounds; however the actual rooms are not much to look at from the outside.

They are all brightly coloured etc but they don’t really do justice for how nice the hotel is. The rooms are fresh and comfortable and there are always plenty of towels etc.

Nice pool and children’s pool with a bar at the side of it which is handy. Great food and nice staff. It only gets an 8 as it’s not the nicest I have been to but I do not have any complaints

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of July 2007

Had a week’s stay at this hotel and li...

Reviewed Wed 11th of July 2007

"Had a week’s stay at this hotel and like the reviews say, it is a nice place to stay but I do think it’s suited for the older generation.

I took a 2yr old and 6yr old and apart from the beach (building sand castles) there is nothing at all to do. I was bored as the entertainment is poor.

Glad I only stayed bed and breakfast as I ventured out into town in a taxi and there are some great places to eat. However you have to walk up a lane to catch the taxi and it is very dark with people lurking about.

I don’t think they mean any harm but it could be scary on your own.

The hotel offers great sea front rooms and they are very bright and clean which was good and it did seem to offer good dining areas.

I would come back if it offered better entertainment."

• Travel date: Wed 11th of July 2007

Wooohooo this holiday was Great, Great,...

Reviewed Sat 7th of July 2007

"Wooohooo this holiday was Great, Great, Great! I had my reservations as I have never been to India before and my husband booked it as a surprise for me and I loved every minute of it.

The drive on the coach from the airport was an eye-opener (I was scared to death) as the cars play chicken!! This basically means that cars drive anywhere on the road and move out the way at the last minute. The winner is usually the ones in the biggest vehicles and so we were fine in the coach ha-ha.

My first impressions of the hotel were good. The staff greeted us and the hotel looked fantastic. The rooms were very clean, whitewashed walls and dark wooden features and the biggest bed you have ever seen.

They were very spacious and the air-conditioning was a great bonus to have on the very hot days. Also a lovely bathroom which had both a bath and shower.

There is a wide variety of dining areas within the grounds of the hotel and each of these serve the very best in food although my favourite was the barbecue which had some great foods, it was also a very romantic setting, and the waiters constantly top your glass up.

The pool was kept clean at all times and I met some lovely people which made our stay perfect. Never really had chance to venture out apart from using the shop at the top of the road to ring to home (its cheaper than hotel) as there was so much happening in hotel but others said there were some great places to visit.

I can’t wait to save up and go back again."

• Travel date: Sat 7th of July 2007

I spent a week at this hotel and overall...

Reviewed Thu 5th of July 2007

"I spent a week at this hotel and overall it was ok, but I would say that they tend to cater for the older generation as there is not much entertainment.

Most people booked on an all inclusive basis but I was only bed and breakfast and it worked out quite expensive to eat in the hotel, so I tended to catch cab out. There are some great restaurants a short drive away and the driver waits outside for you and it is very cheap.

The weather gets very hot but the rooms are air conditioned which is a blessing. The rooms are very clean but I would say that they are nothing special. They are very comfortable though and the maids always keep on top of the cleaning.

The pool is kidney bean shaped and you can swim round and round it rather than back and forth, which is good and there is a small child’s pool too.

There are nice gardens here and I would come back."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of July 2007

Stayed at the Cidade de Goa and all I ca...

Reviewed Tue 19th of June 2007

"Stayed at the Cidade de Goa and all I can say is wow wow wow.

I am so impressed with this hotel; it’s absolutely perfect to have your dream holiday. I have been lucky enough to be able to do lots of travelling and I have visited Goa before but really this holiday has been given a 10 in all areas.

The reception we received from staff was lovely when we first arrived and during the entire 2 weeks, they really could not do enough for you. The maids were superb and they can be trusted as a very expensive watch was given to me and I actually thought I had lost it outside the hotel, I was so thankful.

The hotel itself is set in lovely grounds and I just loved lying in the hammocks watching the sun go down or rise. It really is a picture that reminds you of paradise. The rooms have wonderful king-size beds in and they are always spotlessly cleaned.

The food was always delicious, so many varieties to choose from and the outside grill was my favourite, and it’s a very romantic setting. Also if you want to venture out, a taxi and 3 course meal with wine costs around £5 for 2 people. Come on that can’t be bad!

Please book this hotel as you will enjoy every minute."

• Travel date: Tue 19th of June 2007

Cidade de Goa simply has to be given top...

Reviewed Wed 6th of June 2007

"Cidade de Goa simply has to be given top marks as I have no complaints at all about the hotel, location, staff rooms etc. Its a holiday of a life time that will leave you feeling extra special.

Got to say that the outside barbecue is a must to try, the food is cooked to the highest of standards and the atmosphere is so very friendly.

To be truthful that’s really the only restaurant in the hotel we used, as the menu had a wide variety of dishes but many other people recommended the others too.

The resort does have its own secluded beach, however the pool is so lovely that I just stayed around there (probably because its nearer the bar).

If you are visiting Goa please book this hotel as its fantastic and you are guaranteed to have a great holiday."

• Travel date: Wed 6th of June 2007

Cidade de Goa has got to be the ideal se...

Reviewed Wed 25th of April 2007

"Cidade de Goa has got to be the ideal setting for paradise! The weather in December was incredibly hot, just what the doctor ordered.

The staff may work at a slow pace, however they are the nicest people and will do their upmost to make the holiday stay extra special.

Although eating out is very cheap, I am glad I went all inclusive as they have a choice of restaurants, all of which get full marks.

The outside barbecue is definitely a must for all to try but don’t be surprised to find that when you’re eating, the chipmunks run above you in the trees throwing exploding pods at you (ha-ha). It’s a delightful experience.

The resort has its own private beach and at the end of the beach the kids will love catching the crabs on the rocks, although there are some big ones.

I was lucky to witness a traditional wedding in the gardens and I was intrigued by all the splendour.

It’s an amazing place and you won’t be disappointed so get it booked now!"

• Travel date: Wed 25th of April 2007

Brilliant Cidade

Reviewed Mon 22nd of October 2012

"We went to the Cidade De Goa at the end of February and had a fantastic time. Its a little bit out of the way, although the hotel provides buses into Panjim every day. There are no shacks on the beach to eat at (like other resorts in Goa) as the beach is private. There are a few restaurants a 5 minute cab ride away in Dona Paula, you can walk it in about 15 minutes and get the jet ski back, which is good fun.

The staff at the Cidade cannot do enough for you, the food there is very good, especially the barbecue restaurant on the beach. All the rooms are really clean and the bedding is changed every day.

If your ideal holiday is lazing on a lovely beach all day, with hotel based entertainment at night (unless you fancy a quick cab journey)then this is the one for you.

The restaurants we went to, which were really good, were the Sea Pebble, Mama's Kitchen and The Moti Mahal, I can thoroughly recommend all of these.

Its dirt cheap to get taxi's (walk up the hill outside the hotel and they are even cheaper). We didn't book any trips we went everywhere by taxi. The waterfalls are worth a visit, and you can please yourself how long you stay if you don't go on an organised trip.

The saturday night market is also a really good night out, with loads going on.

If you enjoy the Cidade (and Goa) half as much as us, you'll have a brilliant time."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of March 2006

Hotels near Cidade de Goa

Top traveller tips for Cidade de Goa

• dmisra by dmisra

"base fromwhich u can go to temples,churches,fort "

• dmisra by dmisra

"cruise on thr river Mandovi "

Cidade de Goa is also called

• Cidade De Goa Resort