The RETREAT by Zuri

Best time ever

Reviewed Thu 28th of March 2013

"I went with my family. All of us had really good fun. Hotel has all the facilities. Amazing view, closer to shopping and sight seeing. Perfect spot for family and friends. Hotel staff is very hospitable and corteous."

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of May 2010

Great stay, but location could've been better...

Reviewed Fri 22nd of March 2013

"Great place to stay in South Goa. The hotel is up to international standards, and gives the feel of being in a palace. The rooms have all the modern amenities one might need, and each room has a window / small balcony that overlooks a square that is done up quite well. Great staff, nice restaurant with live music sometimes, good spa...and a walk through the lawns at night almost feels magical.
The only drawback is that it is not by the beach and the beach that is nearby is almost desolate. As regards the location...well the hotel looks a little out of place, in between houses etc. Reaching there can be a pain too, unless you have your own vehicle."

• Travel date: Fri 21st of May 2010

Food was so delicious that I had never had such food every in any hotel that I have been so far

Reviewed Thu 21st of March 2013

"Food was the best and delicious. I have never had such delicious food in any hotel in India that I have visited.Rooms and service was excellent"

• Travel date: Thu 6th of May 2010

FANTASTIC-just could not have asked for more!

Reviewed Sat 23rd of March 2013

"Hello Friends This was not the first time I stayed in a five star hotel but the hospitality that Zuri Retreat presented was incredible and very comfortable. I chose Zuri Retreat after a big reserach done on various hotels and various reviews readings! And I wud say that the choice was the bestest. Personally I wud like to thank Ujjwala Naik from Zuri white sand and Shaji from Zuri Retreat, who have helped us making our trip a memorable trip. Thanku both.and also thanks to the entire zuri Laterreza Staff.The restraurant and the food was wonderful (i mean it!). If u r going there take the all meals package.Its worth it.As we both wanted a silent place we chose south goa.People who want party and enjoyment,for them this hotel is a bit NO,as it is very far(1and a half hour journey from north goa where most of beaches are situated.Taxi charges around 2000 bucks while if u hire Bike they charge you rupees 250 to 300 per day, quite cheap! But its too tiring to go to north goa from this Zuri).We booked the place on the phone itself,and there was not even a single thing that I can mention was problamatic while booking, while checking in and also while checking out.As we had to check out at 12pm,and we had out returning train at 7 pm in the evening,they made our our temporaray arrangement at another room,which was equally beautiful and comfortable. Zuri left no palce to give complaints.The rooms were very clean the bathrooms were also very clean,we were given Suite room very spacious for two of us, the hall was also very big, the bed room was also very big.and bed sheets were also very clean.Whenever we asked for any room service.They were very quick to help you. The site seeing included in the package was of half day. The AC cab provided by the hotel was very clean and the driver was also very nice..They have their another property at Zuri white sand,which has crystal blue sea private beach.Very beautiful.Uncrowded and with few shacks,exactly the way we wanted!And they a have a Cab shuttle faclity that takes you to white sand and takes u back to Zuri Retreat for free.Zuri retreat is really a hidden gem in the south goa,beautifully built Architechture!No doubtZuri that we are coming back! Thanx Zuri.I would say that Its not that Goa will call us back but its the Zuri and Zuri people (well trained and humble staff)that will call and pull back to Goa.We Both ThankYou."

• Travel date: Fri 16th of April 2010

It was a good hotel but too far away from the hot spots..

Reviewed Tue 26th of March 2013

"I went to Goa for a holiday with my office friends. the stay was very good.. lovely food nice comfortable and spacious rooms beach was about 1KM from the hotel accessible by a very narrow road. The hotel has not view.... it takes a lot of time travelling to place of importance in Goa.

I took the hotel coz that was the only one available in Dec 2009. Goa is a party destination. if you are travelling to Goa in Dec last week, book your rooms in advance and please dont stay in this hotel as it will take ages for you to reach places esp in Dec Goa is flooded with tourist.

I likes the pool in the hotel and the spa. the best part was the food. the hotel severs very good breakfast. i like the way the hotel is built.... very spacious..."

• Travel date: Wed 7th of April 2010

Absolutely fabulous stay... A great hotel for a great price.

Reviewed Mon 25th of March 2013

"My wife and I landed up accidentally at the Retreat, as Makemytrip did a blunder with an advance booking with Holiday Inn for a B&B package for three nights. Honestly, I was very very reluctant to be placed in the retreat after reading most of the reviews shared by fellow guests. i remember shouting at the staff of makemytrip, and I wish I could take back all my words, as the stay was fabulous, outstanding and absolutely five star!"

• Travel date: Wed 7th of April 2010

Liked the Room..but staff needs training

Reviewed Wed 27th of March 2013

"Booked withis Hotel for a day's stay after we checked out from leela. Room was very good with a living area and bedroom also had 2 bathrooms. So a family of Parents and 2 big kids or even 4 adults can easily stay there. This was a only plus point of this hotel. and ofcourse teh beautiful portugese premises with statues

There's no beach at the hotel but you can take a shuttle to Zuri Varca and enjoy the beach. Food is terrible !!! Staff is totally untrained and has no courtesy at all.

My kid wanted to go to kids area at 10 a.m. in the morning and it was closed. The Lady who was supposed to open the room told us to come after 15 mins and she would open the kids area. By the way time of opening is 9.30 a.m.. When we reached there at 10.15 a.m. it was again locked. We went to Maya Spa and asked to foot spa the lady told us that the person who was supposed to come at 9.30 was late and would come by 11 a.m..

Few more instances ....From intercom I called up the reception at 8.30 a.m. but the call went to bell desk. I enquired about breakfast timing and was told that breakfast is there from 7 am to 8.30 a.m. . Again I called us reception and the lady apologised and told that its till 10.30 a.m.

At the time of checkin the person was so curious in knowing our check out details that it give a totally unwelcoming experience.

Now when we went to the pool I asked for towels and was rudely directed by one staff (some south indian staff) to the place where towels were kept. Then the swimming trunk I was wearing was a bit long and the same was used at Leela also. The person told me that you are not allowed to ebeter swimming pool in these trunks . Then only after touching the material of the trunk he let me inside.

There were 2 people who were well trained .. one was Nihar at the poolside bar and one was some Savio at the breakfats table. Zuri should invest more in staff trainig because same was the experience during my visit to Zuri Varca which I will mention in separate reviw"

• Travel date: Thu 4th of March 2010

Zuri Varca

Reviewed Mon 18th of March 2013

"Well The Retreat by Zuri is one place which is simply going to take your breath away. Set as a Portugese village, you will completely feel at home here. Me and my husband decided to visit Goa as our 1st anniversary celebrations and wanted it to be in a quiet and serene beach on Goa and a relaxing stay. We couldnt have asked for more when we reached Varca, a beach in south Goa. And the Retreat is even more beautiful than what it looks like in the photos. This was hitherto the Carlson Goa, which was remaned in 2008. This is not exactly a beach property as it is about 900 metres from the beach, but definitely within comfortable walking distance of the beach. The Zuri has another property in Varca which is right on the beach - White Sands and the best part is that there are drops to and from the White Sands by the Retreat. So if after soaking the sun to the full, you are in no mood to walk back, you can get a ride back from the White Sands resort.
I would recommend the Retreat to anyone who is visiting the Varca. Bikes and cars can be hired from the nearby locals shops, bikes at Rs 250-300 per day. I would avoid using the taxi service stationed outside the hotel as these can be rather expensive. We had a complimentary half day tour of goa which we converted into a full day by paying 1200 extra. I would also recommend eating at the shack thats just outside the hotel and also the ones on the beach (Mama's Kitchen)."

• Travel date: Sun 14th of February 2010

Great hotel with excellent service

Reviewed Sun 24th of March 2013

"This is a great property, earlier known as Country Inn, with its portuguese look, spacious rooms and great room facilities. The service is quite good with good variety of food and drinks.

It is proximate to a beach that is not at all crowded and near to some great 5 star properties. The beach offers a good change compared to crowded beaches of North. But again, property is quite far from North Goa beaches where lies all the beach activities....but good for honeymooners or those looking for a romantic getaway far from crowded places in Goa."

• Travel date: Sun 31st of January 2010

Best for groups

Reviewed Fri 29th of March 2013

"I'm convinced our friends couldn't have picked a better venue for their wedding. The new property is large, modern, well maintained and has a distinct resort feel. The food is good while the suite-rooms are great. They comprise a master bedroom, a dresser, living area, balconies, and two bathrooms! The only hitch is its location, for it's not walking distance from any beach or market place, nor does it have its own beach."

• Travel date: Mon 25th of January 2010

Decent Hotel

Reviewed Fri 19th of October 2012

"Thou its not on the beach its a decent hotel. Its has all facilities like SPA, swimming pool etc. Food is average staff are good. The package wht I took was worth."

• Travel date: Thu 21st of January 2010

A surprisingly pleasant experience

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"You won't find The Retreat By Zuri on Google Maps, The hotel is newer than the photography, but it's GPS co-ordinates are: 15.23851N 73.930017E, putting these in will at least show you where the hotel is situated.

This is the last day of our 2 week holiday at The Retreat by Zuri, and as there are very few reviews for this hotel... Well here goes.

The Retreat by Zuri is NOT a beach resort Hotel. It's about 1k walk to the nearest (not too appealing) beach, and about 2k to the beaches by the Taj Exotica or the Zuri White Sands resorts. In fact The Retreat is not really a tourist hotel at all. During our stay the hotels business has largely been from Indian weddings held at the Zuri White Sands, but using the Retreat for accomodation, and conference/business trade in groups. Of the 4 holiday companies displaying information here, 3 are Russian and the final one - Jewel in the Crown, is British. Sounds Dreadful? Read on.

The hotel is clean and airy, built in a mock portugese style, the rooms surround a series of courtyards, all pleasantly landscaped with statues and fountains as centerpieces.

The pool is not huge but still a good size, and although there are only around 20 sun loungers they are all in excellent condition and we have never found it crowded whatever time we decide to go to the pool. Pool service is from a hatch into the main bar, and recently from a mobile wet bar that is set up each day. This is not the first South Goan hotel we have stayed at, but the quality of the bar snacks at the Retreat are consistantly high, the service brisk and incredibly attentive. Prices are low for a hotel bar with a lunch snack and beer at R250, or a Large rum and coke at R99.

The hotel boasts its rooms are all Suite - the room we have has a pleasant Bedroom with a small balcony, large double bed, walk in wardrobe and ensuite shower room, Flat panel TV with HBO and free WiFi, this is reached from a large sitting room also with Flat panel TV, ensuite shower room, mini bar and sofa bed.Truly more room than 2 people on holiday know what to do with! The suite is fully airconditioned and also has ceiling fans.

As I mentioned, The Retreat is NOT a resort hotel, The Zuri White Sands however most definatly is and to reach this hotel a shuttle is available free of charge both ways from the hotel receptions - a 5 minute journey. I am told that it should be possible to crosscharge drinks etc. from one hotel to the other but during our stay this was not working so if you take the shuttle, also take some cash for drinks and food etc. The Zuri White sands is all you would expect with a large feature pool and walks down to the beach.

Getting around - The Retreat is surrounded by Paddy fields and water buffalo. At the entrance you will find a group of taxi drivers happy to take you into Cavelossim for dinner, wait and return for around R500 or to the Taj Exotica same deal for R300 so... not particularly cheap, and that was after a lot of negotiation. However walking 100m from the hotel in either direction you will find local businesses happy to rent you a scooter for R300/day. we hired one for 5 days for R1300 it had 56Km 0n the clock and still had the celophane on its chrome work. The tour rep obviously advises against this but it gave us the freedom to do whatever we wanted and we regularly drove down to the Sun 'n Moon Beach shack/restaurant just by the Taj to watch the sunset and have a fabulous meal. There is a restaurant straight across the road from the Retreat, we ate there once and the food was excellent, but as the area is not busy and the hotel was full of weddings, we were the only customers in the restaurant and the service was so attentive it was a bit desperate, Still very good food though and a carry out service for beer.

On our last night here the hotel opened an extra restaurant in one of the courtyards, lit by fairy lights. The menu included starter, main, sweet and a glass of wine or beer in the price. We both ordered Surf n Turf (last night caution before an 11 hour flight). Noone asked how we wanted the steak cooking and the menu didn't say what cut of steak it was... Pleasantly surprised then to be presented with 2 x inch thick fillets cooked perfectly medium rare and two massive prawns perfectly grilled. Price was R450 per person. sensational.

So to some up - and if you've read through this marathon then congratulations!

If you're looking for Nightlife then don't bother - go to North Goa. If you want lots of other brits to chat to then it's probably not going to happen. If you want all the trappings of a beach resort then The Retreat by Zuri will not tick all the boxes. If however you just want to relax by the pool for a couple of weeks being waitered on hand and foot, If you're adventurous enough to hire a Scooter or hop a cab to get about, then perhaps you should consider The Retreat by Zuri. This is not the perfect package but they are getting a lot more right than wrong. I believe we'll be back!"

• Travel date: Thu 31st of December 2009