The garden with view to the bar area

About Casa Susegad

Good

Aptly named

Reviewed 19th February 2013

"We stayed at Casa Susegad over a three-day weekend, and it certainly lived up to its name – ‘laid-back house’. Carole & Norman are lovely, and wonderful hosts. They are so welcoming & big-hearted that we felt more like visiting friends than paying guests. We got to talking with them about a well-known night market more than an hour’s drive north, and they ended up taking us and several other guests there themselves in their 4x4; we just pitched in on petrol costs. Our room (Turquoise) was comfortable, with A/C & a ceiling fan, and a huge bathroom. When we booked we were disappointed that Carnelian was not available, but we discovered that Carnelian is nearer the kitchen and on the main drag through the house to the pool, and we felt we had a little more privacy in Turquoise. Overall, we felt our stay was excellent value for money. Casa Susegad is not a place to go if you desire the anonymity of a large, generic resort. The four bedrooms are close together and while it is possible to ignore any other guests and keep to yourselves, it is difficult. This is the place for you, however, if you’re looking for an easy-going, informal, relaxed place to chill out. It is well run; the staff are efficient, pleasant, & friendly and service was attentive without being suffocating or intrusive. The pool is lovely, and cleaned every morning, from what we saw. On our first night Carole organised cocktails at the “sunset spot” looking down over the house & grounds– the perfect way to end the day. Meals were delicious and low-key. Drinks – wine, beer, and cocktails -- were plentiful, and we liked being able to help ourselves if our hosts were not around. (Carole also makes a delicious vodka lime soda with ginger!). We enjoyed leisurely breakfasts and afternoon tea on the shaded patio in front of our room. The fact that the Casa Susegad family includes a number of rescued local animals also appealed to us, and the six dogs & four cats quickly stole our hearts. The dogs were generally well-behaved, if a little rambunctious upon our arrival, and the cats were very sweet. We rarely revisit somewhere we’ve stayed before, preferring to explore new places, but we enjoyed ourselves at Casa Susegad so much that we’re likely to go back again."

• Travel date: 8th April 2009

Best new years I've ever had... An amazing way to start 2009!

Reviewed 15th November 2012

"I've been to Goa a few times before but this was the first time my partner had ever been. We spent a few days down on the beach where we celebrated Christmas and then headed to Casa Susegad for a new years treat. I had read some of the reviews on trip advisor before we booked our rooms via email before we left the UK. We went with pretty high expectations and found that Casa Susegad more than lived up to them!!! We were greeted by the owners of the hotel who were really welcoming and friendly. We were shown around the hotel, there was a comfy lounge with a huge TV and loads of DVD's and games if we wanted to chill out. There was a huge, grand dining room should we want to eat in a more formal environment and a bar area with a full sized Snooker Table (my partner was over the moon!). We were then shown to our room which was amazing and has the nicest bathroom and comfiest beds I've ever slept in in India! We were absolutely spoilt over the four days we spent at Casa Susegad. The staff (who were so so lovely) never let us be without a drink during our stay and we ate like royalty!! Absolutely delicious food... We were asked each morning what we fancied that day and Carol (the owner) would create a menu to suit your every need! I highly recommend the Fresh Seafood platter and Mango Crumble with Vanilla Custard!! This was also the first place we'd stayed in Goa where we could get proper wine! A real treat... The location was quite remote but it allowed us to wander around the village and soak up some of the local culture. When we were around the hotel we were able to totally relax which is exactly what we wanted. Directly outside our room was the pool and huge sunbeds... What's really nice is that there are only 4 rooms so even with other guests there it was really peaceful and felt quite exclusive. We also spent some time relaxing further up in the grounds where you can look out over the hotel to a beautiful view... We spent hours there with a few drinks and a game of scrabble! I would highly recommend Casa Susegad to anyone who wants some time out to totally unwind, feel comletely looked after and basically spoil rotten!"

• Travel date: 16th March 2009

Casa Susegad, Laid back Goa

Reviewed 7th February 2013

"My wife and I live in Goa. We've just made our second visit in the last few months.to Casa Susegad. Susegad means 'Laid Back; to the Goans, It is the only apt description I can think of. Visiting the Casa Susegad has become an essential part of our lives.I could take a few pages to describe it all but in a nutshell If you want everything from a holiday or extended break then there is very little to compare with it in Goa. Spend a few days there and you will understand 'Susegad' fully."

• Travel date: 13th January 2009

A Great Place to Unwind

Reviewed 14th November 2012

"We stayed for 3 nights (21 - 24 Nov '08), in the Rose room. After having spent a week in the north doing the Golden triangle, we were looking forward to a bit of recovery time. Casa Susegad delivered! I can only echo the comments made by everyone else so far. The house itself is very attractive, the rooms comfortable and the pool ideal to cool off in. Carole and Norman go out of their way to make your stay all you want it to be and the local staff are so friendly. The food deserves to be singled out for special praise as it's just fantastic - a tremendous variety of all manner of styles, all to a very high standard. You will gain weight! The house is in a great location, less than half an hour from the airport and the beaches of southern Goa, but a world away. Loutolim is a lovely little village, completely devoid of anything remotely touristy. After a week of the noise, pollution and constant hassles of the north, it's fantastic to be somewhere the locals have a friendly smile, a shy "hello" and absolutely nothing to sell! I'd like to think we'll make it back to Goa one day (but there are so many other places in the world to see), if we do, we'll be sure to return to Casa Susegad."

• Travel date: 10th December 2008

Casa Susegad is your little piec of paradise.

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"Casa Susegad was a magnificent, relaxing, welcoming well needed retreat. Casa Susegad is in the village of Loutolim in South Goa, with one and a half acres of beautifull grounds, surrounded by stunning and mysterious jungle your mind has plenty of room to unwind and rejuvenate. The resort and local area is unspoiled by the busy tourist culture. The hotel does not feel like a guest house but a home from home, there are only 4 guest rooms, so you stay is tailored to your individual needs. The owners go out of their way to welcome you to their home, settling you in. The owners are a fountain of knowledge, filling you in on the local hot spots. What to do and what to avoid, I even receive a few haggling tips (Which included what I should except to pay when shopping) I will miss the wonderful food and Ginny my favourite of the family dogs. I will never forget sunbathing on Palolem beach drifting off to sleep by the sound of the sea and waking to the unmistakable sound of the cow walking by. A holiday hot spot I will definitely miss and have to return to."

• Travel date: 27th September 2008

When can I come back?!!!

Reviewed 10th November 2012

"My friend Zakiya recommended this beautiful hotel to me, I didn't think it could be as amazing as she originally said but it exceded all expectations! Myself and my partner were collected from the airport by the owners themselves (felt like VIPs instantly!) and they made us feel so so welcome. It was our first trip (of many to come) to India and I was a little aprehensive but Carole and Norman (the owners) settled me in wonderfully. They gave us loads of advice on where to go, what to see, and most importantly, taught us how to haggle effectively! The hotel was so beautiful... All of the rooms open out onto a private patio area where you can relax with your morning tea looking over the pool. It feels so exclusive with the gardens going up a hill behind the pool, there's no onlookers or anything. The staff were so friendly and attentive, we weren't without a drink our whole stay... Word of warning though, go easy on Norman's cocktails!! We spent our evenings sitting up in the gardens with pretty lighting, comfy cushions and very friendly doggys to keep us company as we looked down on the house. Felt a world away from life back home, exactly as a holiday should be! We only intended to stay for 2 nights but luckily we were able to stay for 4 in the end and even squeezed a night in on route back to the airport, a lovely way to start and end our holiday. Between the couple who run it, the staff who work there, the dogs who roam around and often come to say hello to the amazing food and general atmosphere of the place I would highly recommend it to anyone passing by Goa, especially those who want that extra special something... We've already booked our next trip to Goa on Boxing day and know exactly where we're headed to start 2009..."

• Travel date: 26th September 2008

Perfectly chilled at Casa Susegad

Reviewed 14th November 2012

"My friend and I stayed at Casa Susegad for 2 glorious nights in April 2008. The owners; originally from England, have beautifully restored this Portugese colonial mansion into an amazingly unique boutique hotel. They are the brilliant hosts and help you settle in perfectly. The staff are wonderful and make sure you are happy 100% of the time and they serve the most amazing European- Indian fusion dishes al fresco. The hotel is a very good place to chill out and enjoy the beautiful laid back Goan vibe. Plus it has a beautiful private spot to watch the sunset from. Loved the greenery that surrounds Casa Susegad, great place to watch wildlife, cool off in the pool and eat delicious fruit straight out of the hotel's garden. It’s a must see-feel place- would recommend to singles, couples, and families who want a chilled and very cultured place to spend quality time together."

• Travel date: 6th June 2008

home from home

Reviewed 27th October 2012

"Right at the end of our hectic travels round India, my friend and I (on the very strong recommendations from friends) booked in to spend our pinultimate night in India at Casa Susegad and found it to be a true haven of tranquility in the middle of rural Goa. Much more like visiting your favourite distant cousins than staying in a hotel and if that is your bag then you will absolutely love Casa Susegad. Instantly we were welcomed, made to feel at home and part of the family; we were even included in a Carol and Norman (the owners) dinner party that evening and made to feel very welcome. The decor of the place is lodged somewhere between east and west with all the comforts of a Portugese villa but with the charm and history of Indian design. From the mud tiles in the bedroom to the temple doors, Casa Susegad is dripping with personal touches and gems discovered in the reconstruction of the original house as well as from around India. The bedroom (we stayed in the twin) and the pool area are opulently decorated as well as comfortable. The shower was probably the best I had in all the nearly 20 places I stayed in India and the gardens are beautiful and overlooked by enormous coconut trees with monkies and exotic birds watching on. The afternoon tea with locally baked cakes and biscuits is spot on but above all else the thing that sets Casa Susegad a cut above the rest is the food. We had cauliflower soup (the title worried me somewhat but it was DELICIOUS), cashew salad and fruit for lunch which was a perfect fusion of english and indian cuisine and for dinner had pumpkin mash, cauliflower curry, bean curry etc etc (my mouth is watering at the thought of it!) Whatever you do check out the mango jam, it is out of this world! (we even bought some to bring home and i've been scoffing it straight out of the jar!) I would highly recommend Casa Susegad to anyone who needs a bit of family style TLC mixed with a bit of luxury after a demanding trip round India, or for anyone who has had enough of the busy Goan beaches and wants to experience a slightly different kind of holiday (although if you are the sort of person who likes to keep themself to themself you might be a little overwhelmed). I absolutely loved it - great company, great setting, great rooms and pool and absolutely INCREDIBLE FOOD. I will be recommending it to my family and friends. Thanks Carol and Norman for welcoming us into your home x"

• Travel date: 17th May 2008

R.E.L.A.X.A.T.I.O.N.

Reviewed 10th November 2012

"We spent 5 days at palolem beach [about 1 hour south] & really enjoyed it but very much enjoyed coming back to Casa Susegad, a tranquil & peaceful oasis, a hidden gem. This is not your usual Goan hotel/guest house, you are treated almost as part of the household by the Host's Carole & Norman. There are however several private 'hideaways' including a seating area at the top of the grounds over looking the Jungle-coated hills & nothing else! Just as the website says... 'luxuries, privileges and comfort' & all in such a breaktaking setting, a lovingly [& respectfully] restored colonial mansion set in large grounds. Surrounded by forest and jungle in a small quiet traditional village called Loutolim in South Goa approx 30mins from Goa airport & 30mins inland & all the better for it. We literally spent hours listening to the Jungle noises & watching the monkeys play from our terrace, being served AMAZING food and a well stocked 'honesty-bar'. HIGHLY reccomended for anyone who truely wants to relax in beautiful & peacful surroundings of a Goan village away from the hussle & bustle of tourism. Archies Bar in the village is great for food too. Hotels Website www.casasusegadgoa.com"

• Travel date: 10th May 2008

Elegant Idleness, fab Food and wonderful Cocktails

Reviewed 15th November 2012

"We have just returned from this little gem, the hotel has 4 rooms all with their own charm and are individually designed . The public spaces are a delight and the food is amazing, Carole has a real flair for East meets West in the kitchen and the staff there have followed her instructions perfectly. Casa Susegad is quite new to the hotel scene but they have got it right with a blend of informality and service. The swiming pool is a great in the heat of the day. Morning coffee and afternoon tea are served to you, and one of the resident pets are always around to share your book or game of scrabble. They are close to Margao and Panjim, great for the airport. You get a real feel for village life here, and you are included with elegant charm."

• Travel date: 30th April 2008