About Silver Sands Beach Resort

• seating area
  • baggage storage
  • car hire
  • bottled water
  • express check in check out
  • coffee shop amenities
  • currency exchange
  • ironing service
  • massage
  • shops amenities
  • bicycle rental
  • wake up service alarm clock
  • sauna
  • desk
  • complimentary toiletries
  • hindi
  • coffee tea maker
  • steam room

average hotel, nice staff

Reviewed Tue 19th of March 2013

"very close to colva beach, its an average hotel, rooms are ok. the food is nice, they serve authentic goan food. value ofr money."

• Travel date: Tue 9th of February 2010

A good resort for holidays

Reviewed Wed 20th of March 2013

"I went there with my friends during X-mas holidays. The rooms seemed to be of the right size and the service quality was also good. The decor and furnishings is of a good quality and the management seemed to be taking a good deal
of interest in ensuring that the guest are satisfied with the experience. But Because of holidays it took time in each prosidure.
We stayed there three days & 2 night. The food was only average especially at the breakfast buffet settings.
They also provide many other services like Ayurvedic Massages, Health Club, Gymnasium, Steam, Travel Agency, Credit Card facility, Currency Exchange, Internet connection, Shopping Arcade, Safe Deposit Lockers, Laundry, Doctor on call, Sight-seeing tours & transfer facilities.

Overall, it is nice resort to spend holidays."

• Travel date: Thu 21st of January 2010

Expensive 1 star hotel

Reviewed Mon 18th of March 2013

"Spent 3 nights here. "Recently renovated" "3 star" bit of hyperbole. Room we stayed in done in white & red with red velour! Very 70s, very basic, comparable with 1 star hotels. Reception staff not particularly welcoming but not the worst I have encountered though very average by Indian standards. Rooms relatively clean, usual poor attention to detail. Hotel restaurant very good value for money, excellent food, better than the ones that get rave reviews. Sunday Indian Buffet Rs250 each, excellent value, very tasty.

Good proximity to beach & restaurants. Beach enjoyed by many locals but 200m either side of the central area pretty quiet. Locals very colourful, mainly families enjoying day out. If you don't like mingling with the locals, Colva is not for you but is is a good beach, ideal for long walks, adjoining beaches just as lovely.

Room rates around Rs3000 in season. Can't see why anyone would rate this Excellent."

• Travel date: Wed 20th of January 2010

Don't stay at Silver Sands especially if from UK

Reviewed Mon 18th of March 2013

"Before setting out to Goa I read the reviews for hotels near Madgaon Railway Station for ease as we only had three days in Goa and were travelling up from Podanur (I as staying with family there) on a 16 hour journey. Well after reading the reviews it turned out that the Silver Sands rated the best for all the above. On arrival to Silver Sands I was not impressed, reception was an indication of what was to come. Well when they showed me my room I was not pleased at first it smelt damp and looked grim. Had no choice had to stay the night. Which was costing RS 3200 per room (rip off). Went to the bathroom and there was water by the toilet it turned out that the toilet had been completely cracked and was just cemented up/covered up and every time you flushed the toilet it would leaked. Bathroom not clean either. Went to the reception they said they couldn't do anything so what we had to use a member of our family's toilet which was not good enough at this price or at all.

We had not choice but to stay due to the lateness of our arrival so we did. I woke up with swollen lips so if you want free botox then go there.

We went out for dinner and my dad walked to some other hotels in the area. He looked at the Star Beach Resort and he checked one of the rooms/cottages they have and it was clean and tidy and the staff were very nice and the rooms only cost around RS 1600 per room for non AC and RS 1900 per room for AC room. Again, if you want a clean hotel at a good price then you would stay here. The restaurant food is not too good but edible and there are many places to eat around in the area in any event. They have a Ayurvedic message centre near by and the beach is not too far.

I myself was not impressed by the beach near here as it was very crowded maybe due to the local holiday called Pongal which takes place on 17th, 18th and 19th Jan. So I couldn't see the beach from the crowds. But I suspect when it is not holiday time locally in India there will be less people. When I say lots of people I mean crowds not unpleasant people just too many for relaxing on the beach.

I am talking from a foreigner point of view I suppose expecting different from local people. The other room that my family stayed in was ok but I would not stay in this hotel myself. This part of Goa is for mixing with the locals and for an inexpensive holiday. I suppose I am used to going on package holidays and staying at above 4 star rating hotels this is how I based my views on this area.

I could go on but for me I was not impressed by this part of Goa but I suspect that as there are 32 beaches there must be an ideal spot somewhere.

But my stay at the Star Beach Resort was very nice, the pool was nice and the staff were very friendly. This is all I can say if you want to book a nice room here book room 312 or 311 as they are non AC but have fans and a balcony both clean."

• Travel date: Mon 18th of January 2010

Peaceful beach

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"Staff were really helpful, hotel was clean and really close to the beach. Colva beach is beautiful and was very quiet (compared to Calangute/Baga) Watersports aren't the best here, but if you need a few days chilling out doing nothing but mile on mile of white sandy beach to lie on, sipping a few lime sodas this place is perfect. Didn't use the hotel pool as I prefer the sea, but it did look inviting, although closes early evening. The taxi stand is nearby with set fares. Beach is cleaner than some reviews do it justice."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of December 2009

liked the location

Reviewed Mon 18th of March 2013

"went to goa in the last week of september and stayed at a lovely beach ... colva.. not crowded at this time of the year and silver sands was a nice hotel.. better than what i had expected. quite affordable @ 1500/- for std room. room was pool facing and was quite large and clean. ac was very effective although we did not need it much coz it was not that hot anyway :)
very near to the beach just a 2 minute walk and cafe coffee day in the campus of the hotel are its usp's.

food was ok in the hotel but nearby kentucky shack cum restaurant was excellent.
beach was also good and sea was safe for my little kid too and he enjoyed sitting in the water and playing so people with little kids can plan for this place

overall experience was good"

• Travel date: Fri 16th of October 2009

Loved the close proximity to Colva beach

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"In 2008, me and my wife planned to visit Goa. We were looking at visiting south..particularly colva area. We checked all the resorts/hotels in colva and found silver sand to be the most suitable.
On arrival at goa airport, we were greeted by the hotel staff and transferred to the hotel in a cab. On arrival at the hotel, the staff was prompt to guide us to our room. The room to my surprise was quite neatly arranged. The windows were large and gave a clear view of the Colva beach.
There was a small table with 2 sofa seats. An electric kettle and tea/coffee sachets were also in the room.
The refrigerator was working (which we stocked up with beer).
The bathroom however was not big and should have had a bathtub.

We had opted for a MAP plan (breakfast and lunch) which suited our requirement. The buffet b/f and lunc were good. Lunch was mostly indian and was ok in terms of choice. The breakfast however was really good and had a good choice (juice/tea/coffe/eggs/bacon/ham/breads and daily speciaities).

The location is what made this hotel more appealing to us.

In short I'll list down the plus points:
1. Cafe coffee day, located on the ground floor
2. Bike and car rental: on available on the road opposite to the hotel
3. Good restaurants just 50 mtrs from the hotel
4. Bus stand at 50 mtrs
5. Beach around 100 mtrs.
6. Proximity to madgaon
7. Chemist/liquor shop very close to hotel
8. Clean room
9. Effective air conditioning
10. Prompt room service and cleaning staff

On every friday or saturday ( I dont remember the day), there's a flea market organized 50 mtrs from the hotel..worth a visit for collecting some old antiques/beads/other surprises.

We initially had booked the hotel for 3 days and had planned to shift to another hotel. So we went out looking for other hotels in colva and apart from Shalom, we could not find any other decent option. All others were either too far away from the beach or did not have clean rooms/swiiming pool.

For us, Silver sand was a good option and we extended our stay by another 3 days."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of July 2009

Silver Sands Hotel

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"We arrived in silver sands resort on 11th january 09 after reading reviews i must say that this hotel is above average for a 2 star we had a suprior room very large room ground floor looking over garden excelent nature views we where given clean towels daily sheets clean no stains or marks on them as we have stayed in goa before Hotel good location close to beach and all bars would recommend eating in Mango Grove, Sport Bar. Fishermans Cove .A visit to the big blue shake on the beach as they do not charge for the beds as for sanja he will look after you .breakfast on the beach at sunny side up is good just as you enter the beach from beach road. A visit to wednesday bazzar is a must . Taxis cheap to get around.and drivers very friendly."

• Travel date: Tue 20th of January 2009

Goan paradise-a dream come true

Reviewed Fri 12th of October 2012

"Silver Sands Beach Resort
On the last day of Oct2008, we(self, wife & son) planned to go for a perfect place for relaxation. Our choice was to just go Goa only. We just contacted our travel agent-M/s Sparrow Tours,Malad and enquired for some reasonable hotel.
They informed us that due to vacation season all the hotels 7 resorts were fully occupied & said sorry. After 2 minutes, I got a call from there & informed me there is one good room is there at Silver sands resorts near Kelva beach due to lat cancellation. We booked the same without looking further.
After reaching there, we all were very much excited. We got super deluxe room instead of deluxe without any extra cost.
All the food & hospitalities were superb.
Since it was adjacent to Kelva beach, it was like a paradise.
We really enjoyed & relaxed our vacation days there like in heaven.
Now we are having sweat memories of the same..... a dream come true"

• Travel date: Thu 4th of December 2008

Silver Sands Beach Resort. Not up to Western Standards

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"The hotel is conveniently situated for the Beach in Colva being about 100 meters from the sea front, however calling it a "Beach Resort" is a little far fetched.

Silver Sands seems to be in the middle of a refurishment, there are large quatities of old bedroom furnishings scattered around the back of the hotel where a number of rooms face.

The swimming pool looks attractive in the pictures, but has not undergone maintenance it seems in many years, the tiles are cracked, the water level is low and what seems like the kiddie section can only be accessed by steps. The pool was barely used by residents, the beach being a much better prospect. Around the pool, the tiles and concrete area was dirty and dusty with a number of abandoned chairs. Overall not very appealing.

The restaurant looked good, although i never tried it as there are a large number of restaurants and beach shacks close by. i also saw many people requesting room service and they seemsed friendly and efficient.

The room was basic. A good tiled floor, our's was with A/C but a large amount of paint was peeling from the wall and the view outside was of the abandoned furniture. A fridge and number of dated cabinets are provided, but only a half height wardrobe and limited drawer space.

The bathroom was even more basic with shower, toilet and sink. The floor was made up of old vinyl tiles with dirt around the edges. There was a dirty window and surrond in the room and exposed electrical wiring attached to the extractor fan. The shower was erratic. On a number of evenings, the hot water pressure was so low, it would only dribble if at all from the shower. it seems that silver Sands has been updating the fittings in the bathroom with new taps and shower. But left an old cracked sink! Two small towels were provided and replaced eratically.

Security in the room was poor, no safe or safe deposit box is provided, inadequte window locks and a poor door lock. i asked about safe deposit boxes but was told the Hotel safe was full! the hotel did not provide any information on fire exits or location of hydrants etc..

The town of Colva in South Goa is very popular with local tourists, especially at the weekend. There is a large ditch behind the beach with bridges joining to the town. The initial portion of the beach from the town is strewn with rubbish and most unappealing. We walked a couple of hundred Meters left (toward Benaulim), where there are a number of Beach shacks that attend to your every need and an unspoilt beach. Our favorite Shack was "Papillon", they provide sunbeds, lots of food and drink and you don't settle up until the end of the day. Going in this direction on the beach is also better as you can't smell the fish being dried on the beach.

Overall the beach was excellent once away from the center. Colva was generally hastle free and off the beaten track for most western tourists with little sports shown in the bars. If you decide to go to the "Silver Sands Beach Resort", go there on the understanding that it is basic and you won't be disappointed."

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of February 2007