Lobby at The O Hotel

Good

Bar staff ripped my husband off

Reviewed 8th December 2016

"We attended an event here. My husband ordered me Goa wine @150 rupees a glass. The staff insisted he set up a tab. I had three glasses, the waiter charged him 1,600 rupees at the end of the night. I don't find out until I arrived home. Utterly unimpressed. Please be careful at this hotel."

• Travel date: 30th October 2016

Total Nonsense Hotel

Reviewed 27th October 2012

"Well this could happen to you. You see the hotels website and having a great experience at one of their other hotel , you could end up in a total disaster situation. It was our situation at our visit in goa and we had a worst experience of hospitality in our lives. Please dont waste your money and vacation on such a place. Can find something else as Goa has many other options. We shifted to Hotel Vivanta by Taj in panaji for the rest of our vacations. It was great then....."

• Travel date: 7th April 2010

Disgusting experience - Never Again

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"I stayed at the ocean view suite, decent looking rooms, but poor quality of construction will not make this hotel last too long. SERVICE?? -that's the bad part of this hotel, in fact they don't know the S of service. Its a waste of time, money and effort to stay here and i will never stay here again even if I'm paid to do so. I Picked up a chair and threw it at one of the staff members, now one can imagine how frustrating it must have been. and the worst part is that when i was running around complaining about no service in this hotel, the owner was lounging around by the pool, oblivious to the complaining guests."

• Travel date: 19th March 2010

Awesome hotel and a great vacation (with a few niggling details)

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"I have some mixed things to say about this hotel, but overall we have a lovely stay here and thoroughly enjoyed the hotel. I would recommend it, but there are a few caveats you should know about ahead of time Pros - absolutely loved the modern, open, lush style of this hotel. The whole thing is new and very modern. The restaurants are all open air, there is lovely landscaping throughout, and the pool is to die for. They have the most awesome little pod-like sun lounger things that are just the coolest and more cozy things I have ever seen. You can lay in them all day and look out over the palm trees and water. The rooms are comfortable, clean, and lovely. -Breakfast is included and it is a nice buffet. The restaurant is a little expensive, but the beer is cheap (125 Rs for a Corona!) and the food is pretty good quality. We ate dinner there a few times. -We really enjoyed the beach and the kids had the time of their lives playing on these sandbags (see below for more detail) -Laid back, Goan feel to the beach. All kinds of little beach shacks serving cheap beer, banana shakes, sandwiches, seafood. Everyone is very friendly and happy. People are walking around selling things and offering cheap massages. I didn't really find it annoying at all, they weren't too pushy as I have seen in other places. -Good location, lots of restaurants and things nearby. Didn't get the feel that we were in some packed, overcrowded, touristy place. -Hotel IS beachfront (it's always hard to tell for sure). It's just a 4 minute walk or something past the pool and over the dunes. Cons - Had quite a few issues with the room. When we checked in the power was not working in the room. We had to stand there with our bags for about 15 minutes waiting for them to get it working. Once we unpacked, we discovered that the internet, mini fridge, and air conditioning were not working. It was quite a few phone calls and hassles to get everything fixed. The A/C was not fixed properly and we sweated all night. The next day they fixed the A/C properly, but it seemed that each day when the power went out, things did not reset properly, and we had to call repeatedly about the same things. The shower was the dumbest design I have ever seen. The glass door had about a 1 inch gap in it, and the water aims straight out at you, so it's basically gushing right out the door and the whole bathroom gets flooded. The drain didn't work properly and the switch to make it an overhead shower broke 2-3 times. Eventually we switched rooms and didn't have any issues after that. So just ask to switch if you get a lemon. -Staff don't seem to particularly care that we had to call over and over about all these maintenance issues. They would just calmly say OK we'll send someone over. After the 15th time someone has called in 2 days with problems you'd think they would be apologizing profusely or offering something to you for your troubles. Not so. They weren't nasty or anything, and they did come fix things each time, but I just would have expected a little more effort to be displayed. There was supposed to be a "pool boy" to give you towels and turn on the jets in the hot tub, but I never saw anyone there. -Hotel is new. I didn't see any construction going on and it wasn't noisy or anything, but the place has a strange deserted feel to it. I don't really understand their concept. You can tell they put a TON of money into the decorations and styling of the place, but there aren't that many rooms. Don't know how they will make enough $. They have a spa, but only offered like 1 out of every 10 things actually shown on the spa menu. Don't know if that's because they're new or what. The bar always seemed dead, and I don't think the Japanese restaurant was even open. I only ever saw anyone at the main restaurant. This is not necessarily bad, it is relaxing and not crowded. But not exactly a happenening place if you're looking to meet other people or something. -For some reason, they shut down the pool at a certain time and won't let you swim in the evening. Annoying. It's not like they have a lifeguard or attendant any other time of day, so I don't know why this is. -It's about an hour drive from the airport. We arranged for transfers and that worked out just fine. However, it's pretty pricy. I think they charge you 1,500 Rs EACH WAY, and they don't even have a hotel van or anything. They basically just flag someone down from the street. I don't think it would be more than 500 Rs if you just flagged it down yourself, so maybe that's the way to go. It's easy to get a cab and pretty cheap if you just want to go to another restaurant, the Fort Aguda (fort is boring, but great views), or the Saturday night market (recommended) Other things to note: -OK so the beach. It totally depends what you are looking for. This is NOT a pristine beautiful beach (check out my pics). But it is perfectly fine and we had a great time. There is a rusting freighter parked right offshore (random), which doesn't do a lot for the view. And the beach right in front of the hotel has these enormous sandbags in the surf to keep the sand from eroding. At first I was disappointed when we walked down to the beach b/c it looks a little ugly. But my boys had the BEST time playing on those sandbags. They spend all day, every day for 5 days on those things. Climbing on them, sliding down them, playing in the tide pools created by them, etc. This left my husband and I totally free to just relax and watch them play. So it just depends what you like. If you are not strong swimmers or have tiny children you might hate this. But I would actually come to this hotel specifically for those sandbags, crazy as it seems! Also, if you don't like it, you can walk just a tiny bit down the beach and there is flat sand with no sandbags. Even a lifeguard. There was a red flag flying, but this beach is totally fine to swim in in my opinion (having swam in the ocean all my life). The sand is fine and actually pretty clean. They have jetskis, banana boats, parasailing, etc. that you can do if you are feeling adventurous."

• Travel date: 17th March 2010

A refeshing different experiance

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"I loved this place! it was new, clean, modern, up to date! me and my wife went to 7 different hotel's in the 10 day's we had in goa and this by far was the best! every hotel had it's own problems and grubbyness but the O really was a refreshing difference to a hotel experiance! there is amazing arcitecture everywhere! and resturants are good and clean! and the staff where polite altho some of them seem a tad bit in need of trainning! they where very helpful! the hotel is great! you would love it if your like me = you like good value of money, nice decor, a different ambiance to the norm! the water features are stunning and so is the lighting at night"

• Travel date: 16th March 2010

Not a good experience

Reviewed 11th December 2012

"The experience with this hotel was bad since the day I booked it. Before booking I contacted hotel to get information about various rooms as not much information was available on hotel website. I was told that the courtyard rooms are much better than executive rooms, so I booked the same and paid about about 25% more than the price of executive room. Few days later I found that their website is updated and its written that executive rooms are more spacious and have better facilities, After a conversation of about 1 week, they upgraded my room to executive room but didn't give any concession. I reached the hotel and found that decor and room is good but the beach is the worst I have ever seen. The beach at back of the hotel is not at all maintained and have lot of crabs there. You need to walf at least 500 mts to reach the clean place at the beach The food at the hotel was again pathetic. There was noting any Indian could eat, only boiled vegetables. The staff at the hotel didn't had any Idea about what all is included in my package. I went to take suana but the lady there suggested some message. I asked her if it is included by package, she told that she has checked and its there in my package. Next day I came to know that I am chared with Rs. 6000 for the message. what a horrible experience. Even after explaing everything to hotel manager Mr Sumir, he didn't agree to anything and made us pay the amount. From the room booking and suana experience, it looks hotel is looking for 1 way or the other to dig out money for your pocked. Be careful when u book this hotel."

• Travel date: 1st March 2010

nice style, shame about the staff

Reviewed 14th October 2012

"Nice decor, lots of water features, Buddha statues, great location, next to the beach, in a nice part of Candolim. Staff not helpful and unhappy. Room okay, though under furnished - only one bedside table, not enough clothes storage space. Bathroom good- big bath tub. Pool and gym too small. Breakfast okay."

• Travel date: 23rd February 2010

Pleasant enough stay

Reviewed 27th November 2012

"Lots of staff that don't seem to do much. Reception staff weren't particularly helpful. Alot of building work still ongoing around the hotel. The pool area is small but nice and the beach is a 1 minute walk. Most disappointing thing was no balcony. Room was tidy but not that clean. The mini bar was not replenished unless asked. Food here was good.."

• Travel date: 13th February 2010

A location with loads to do

Reviewed 11th December 2012

"This is a lovely resort. Clean, smart and well up to the standard for Western comfort. The outdoor pool is lovely with a great view. It leads down to its own beach, but the hotel should really clean that up a bit. The only downer was that the reception staff are not the most helpful. Just depends who is on duty. It is conveniently situation with loads to do in the high street. Don't miss: The Mermaid Restaurant. Lovely food, great atmosphere and fantastic value. You could eat there everynight and work through the whole menu. The Chocoletti Tea Room is great for home made cakes, biscuits and sandwiches. Have a facial or massage at the Ayurveda & Yoga Health Centre. Right opposite the resort is a fantastic tailors that can't be more highly reccomended. Hollywood Fashion ([--]). I had two formal suits made and they are the most comfortable suits I've ever had. Great quality, fast and attentive service and fantastic value."

• Travel date: 30th January 2010

WOw Nightclubs

Reviewed 27th November 2012

"What a rocking Night clug The O has had, I havent seen it anywhere else. I was planning to go to a place where My friends can Enjoy The TRue GOA trance Music. and here we did The O has a Best Night club in town. The O Goa offers just the right mix of peaceful relaxation and buzzing activity, which goes into making a fabulous holiday for one and all."

• Travel date: 28th January 2010

Beware Women don't stay on the 1st floor!!!

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"A group of 10 of us stayed 4 nights at the O Hotel. Looked great at first as they had decorated it beautifully. It seems now that they spent all the money on decorations...half the staff had no clue what was going on. The walk to the beach was strewn with garbage as was the lot next door. We loved Goa and spent most of the time on Baga Beach. Two of us(women) stayed an extra night because we loved Goa, and didn't want to worry about changing hotels...regrettably!! That night I was changing and I looked up and there was A MAN PEEPING IN OUR WINDOW. I was shocked and chased him away from our window and at that point saw that he was a staff as he was wearing an O hotel shirt. I also noticed that the blind was turned up so you could see in. I know for a fact that it was not like that when we left for dinner. The staff were pretty unhelpful about the whole incident. The next day we checked out and we had to bring it up to see what was being done...alas they could not find the perpetrator...even though he had to run by the front desk on his escape. They did not even offer compensation for the night of apologies until we brought it up. I would not recommend this hotel at all...there are plenty of other options in Goa!!!"

• Travel date: 20th January 2010