Taj Fort Aguada Resort & Spa, Goa

• smoking rooms available
  • paid wifi
  • free airport transportation
  • hot tub
  • free shuttle or taxi services
  • kids stay free
  • tennis court
  • kids club
  • babysitting
  • butler service

A good 4 star, eventually

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"After reading reviews of the Fort Aguada on this website, especially the one about local looking at white bodies, we nearly switched hotels. However on arrival we were shown to our room and it had 2 single beds (we still prefer a double!) and it was to the far right of the hotel so close to the public beach and pathway down to it. So we looked to move to the other side which had a double bed, but no door or balcony to go outside. After a chat with the Duty manager (it was hot, first impressions, expectations etc) we upgraded (at a cost of £50 extra per day) to a 1 bedroom villa at Taj Hermitage. What a result. Brilliant. Quiet, but close to the amenities when we needed them. We rarely ate in the hotel as the beach restaurants were just as good on the food, and about half the price. Go around 6pm and watch the sunset with a beer and then have a meal outside - worth the chill factor alone. The Italian restaurant in the hotel is good and a pizza for 1 night was welcome change from 3 weeks oc curries. Also the Fish restaurant, outside, was tremendous and pick your own starter and mains and they cook it fresh. The beach is the area where the motor sports take place. So as you walk out of the hotel gates, you are at the steps of the beach and where all of the sales guys hang about. But they are friendly, if persistent. But the boat rides to see dolphins are great value and you do see dolphins, and they are very conscientious. The staff are genuinely helpful and friendly and the hotel was spotlessly clean. The pool was cold though even though temperature reached 35 degrees C. Pleasant and relaxing once you got your bearings. And hire a mpoed for 250 rupees (£4) from the shop to the right of the main entrance for the day. And explore. Wonderful!! Also don't forget you have free use of the Jacuzzi and Steam Room at the Spa and - at the height of the sunny day - it is surprising how relaxing and rejuvinating that is. Not 5 star luxury, more 4* but if you get out and about who is worried."

• Travel date: 6th February 2006

Not bad

Reviewed 9th December 2012

"After reading reviews of the Fort Aguada on this website, we nearly switched hotels, but we were assured that the hotel had been recently renovated. On arrival we found that this was not quite the case. The first room we were shown to had damp patches on the wall and the bathroom looked very worn. We complained and were upgraded to a suite with the minimum fuss. The new room was lovely but the bathroom still needed a re-vamp! On the upside the staff are genuinely helpful and friendly and the hotel was spotlessly clean- but don't expect the sophistication and standards of the Taj hotels in the north of India. As it was not peak season there were no beach shacks or markets open, neither were all the hotel restaurants open yet. But it was pleasant and relaxing, the food was good and the pool was never busy. The spa treatments were lovely but that was the only element of the resort that I would really call luxurious. Nice location, though!"

• Travel date: 9th October 2005

loved it!

Reviewed 8th October 2012

"we initially boked into the ajoining taj village but found it more suitable for families with kids,as it was full of them! we asked to be moved to the fort aguada hotel, which they did without problems or extra cost. we found this hotel to be exellent. the food was great,with loads of choice in the three resaurants. the rooms were lovely,could do with a bit of a makeover, but clean and very comfortable. the pool area needs refurbishment,but not that bad. entertainment every night with many theme nights. my only criticism is tha the bar closed to early, 11pm. would definately stay again."

• Travel date: 7th September 2005

Not as expected

Reviewed 21st November 2012

"Last year was my first trip to Goa, I spent a fantastic week in the South staying at the Taj Exotica, then moved up to Fort Aguada for my second week. The room was small and cramped but kept spotlessly clean, the bathroom was also on the small side and through the window was a patch of grass. As entitled to do so I spent the day time around the pool in the Holiday Village which was fantastic, the staff were so friendly, helpful and attentive far better than Fort Aguada. I was fortunate to be there for Diwali, fantastic events laid on by the staff, a wonderful insight into the ceremony. Even though the room was not all it had been sold as nothing could deter my enthusiasm for Goa, the Goans and their fantastic hospitality and surroundings. Didn't eat there as the beach shacks and restaurants locally offered far better cuisine and better prices. I did recieve a letter from the hotel on my return to England to thank me for my stay and comments made at the end of my trip. Fantastic Holiday and many wonderful memories looking forward to this year to go back although the Holiday Village had no reservations left."

• Travel date: 26th July 2005

Disappointed.

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"Coming to Goa in July is in any case a dampener, with no water sports available. Over enthusiastic beach guards are real "uncle killjoys" (as my son would call them) with their brisk shrill whistles and aggressive gestures (good intentioned though). You can hardly get into the water even when it is sunny, as the guards feel it is toooo risky. The first impression of Fort Aguada resort that you get from the huge marble signage put bang on the entrance is "Wow". That quickly fades away as you realise that the place is pretty non-exclusive. Many parts of the resort need complete and urgent renovation. The swimming pool and adjacent area is terrible, although it was good for my son who loved swimming in a pool of small and familiar shape and dimensions. The rooms (superior sea view rooms) are OK. Bathrooms are good, water supply and especially hot water supply is excellent. No carpets in the room. Housekeeping is warm and friendly, and they respond fast. The entrance lobby is lifeless at times, and somehow I felt that the resort had more life in the night than in the day. The SeaShell restaurant (where we had most of our meals) is the right place for a mass meal. However, some of the staff can be too quick in removing your unfinished plate. I always wonder whether they are paid on the speed with which people leave the room, or what! The 'aftermint' is great. Both Fort Aguada resort and the Taj Holiday Village do not do justice to the Taj name. Overall, if you are looking for a great beach experience, do not come to Fort Aguada resort. It is not meant for you!"

• Travel date: 18th July 2005

Needs refurbishing, but great servie

Reviewed 9th December 2012

"We stayed for two weeks in the Fort Aguada. When we arrived we were very disappointed with the pool area and our bathroom which both needed replacing. BUT our bungalow overlooking the bay was beautiful and the service made up for it. The nightlife was a bit hit and miss as the bar closed at 11.30pm! Although the last night they kept it open to 12.30. The drinks and food were very expensive compared to the rest of Goa. Particularly when on 1st April they put on 22% tax!! The sea looked iffy also, the last day a small oil slick came onto the beach! The beach huts were great on the beach though, Lawrences the last of three together under the banner Blue something or other was great and so reasonable. Cheers belinda"

• Travel date: 19th April 2005

Great little Hideaway!!!

Reviewed 21st December 2012

"We stayed in Goa for a week at the Fort Aguada Beach Resort between 02/04/05 - 10/04/05. It was by far the best hotel on our drop. The rooms - very light and airy, always clean and well stocked with anything you would need. Housekeeping was very helpful and even brought me some tablets when I wasn't too well (I didn't put this down to anything except the climate change). The Beach - There is a small private beach which is still very overlooked from the fort. The local men made me feel very uncomftable as they do just stand and stare at you even if you cover you legs and shoulders as recomended. It was something we where warned about before hand but just be ready for it if you are a white female. The main beach is beautiful and there is every water sport available if you trust the local people enough with your life. You will be mythered. In fact at evey gate leaving the hotel compound there is a group of local men who will watch your every move and just seem to hang out there day and night. The Spa - Even though it is quite expensive compared to local massages you do get the service and you know these people are qualified. We had a couples massage which included a steam after. It came to about RS 4500 which is about £55. The dearest facial was about £30. I can highly recomend it though! The walk way to the spa though is not well thought out. It comes out onto a main road and you are immediatly surrounded by a huge group of local men. I didn't feel safe crossing the road alone and my husband would walk me there and back. Shopping - we went into the local town to shop and as we didn't know where we where going the taxi driver took us to places he recomended, however, they are very expensive! They earn commision on taking you to certain places and once you are in there it is very hard to leave without buying something. You are better in the local markets because at least you can haggle there. All in all we had fun and it was an experience. I would recomend the hotel to anyone wanting to stay in Goa."

• Travel date: 11th April 2005

A bit dated

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"Booked 2 weeks at fort aguada beach in feb 2005 but only because the taj exotica was full,The first thing you notice as you enter the hotel is the stranded ship on the beach which can be a bit off putting but after a while you just get used to it. The first room we were given was a twin,when ordered a double,but this was rectified the next day when we were switched,which we were glad about as the first room had a distinctly musty smell,the next room was better but still average but unfortunately next to the kitchens as we found out on the first night as the staff were moving barbecue gear till at least 3 am but that only seemed to happen on fridays. On the whole the rooms were ok and would be 5 star when new but 20 yrs on everything about the place looks a bit worn especially round the pool area The restaurents consists of thai..excellent,italian ....excellent, ...international.....poor and 2 fish restaurents which we didnt bother with To sum up...good location,cheap bars and food only a walk away.....great service...average beach with plenty of water sports ... but the hotel does require a face lift"

• Travel date: 23rd February 2005

dRAT....

Reviewed 21st December 2012

"I stayed at this resort about 10 years ago and whilst I'm sure this was definitely a once off occurrence, I awoke one night to find a rat in my bed, on my pillow, chewing my hair... Quite a frightening experience, to say the least... The Night Manager on duty couldn't care less and it wasn't until the following afternoon that a Manager approached my friend and I and offered us some sort of apology. It was such a shame as our accommodations were fantastic (we had a chalet in the garden) and my furry friend had probably come in during the day when the maids were cleaning. I have since been back to Goa and stayed in a private rented villa and I'm going back again next February to do the same... I remember that the restaurant at the Fort Aguada was lovely, but very expensive. The same food was available at restaurants in town for a fraction of the price."

• Travel date: 25th November 2004

Loved Everything

Reviewed 21st November 2012

"i stayed at this beach resort for two weeks and it is the most beautiful resort in goa. You can sit outside and the birds will land on the table as you eat. i loved every minute of it and would return in a heartbeat. The history of this 16th century fort is as exciting as the resort it's built on."

• Travel date: 12th November 2004

Hotels near Taj Fort Aguada Resort & Spa, Goa

Taj Fort Aguada Resort & Spa, Goa is also called

• Taj Fort Aguada Beach Resort
  • fort aguada beach hotel
  • fort aguada