Good

This is a fantastic hotel. The rooms ar...

Reviewed Fri 11th of January 2008

"This is a fantastic hotel. The rooms are a good size, very clean. Room boys can't do enough for you, food very good.

It is set in very well kept gardens, two mins from the beach. All the staff were great, would recommend it to anyone.

It is central, always taxis outside. They have good entertainment at night, the pool area is good and sun beds available most time of the day, and the pool attendant was very helpful fetching towels.

• Travel date: Fri 11th of January 2008

Loved the stay there

Reviewed Sat 20th of October 2012

"I had doubts on how this hotel is going to be when I initially booked a 3 day 4 Nights package. But when I stepped into it with my better half, it's a completely different kind of experience. The hotel is neat, the food is good, the ambience is great and the staff were extremely polite and responsive.

The resort opens into the Candolim beach and the view is absolutely stunning. You can have the early morning jogs or late evening strolls in the beach and no one will bother you. The beach is almost secluded and there is hardly any rush here unlike the adjacent Calanguate beach.

You get the taxis right outside the gate of this hotel. But I recommend hiring a 2 wheeler (Costs around Rs. 250-300 bucks a day) since it is very convenient to roam around on it. The roads are well marked and the people are really friendly.

Coming to the food part, I had a ball at Sonesta. But mind you, I am a vegetarian. The food was good and the quantity was good enough.

All in all, a great place to stay and the price is very much affordable for an average Indian like me."

• Travel date: Fri 10th of November 2006

What a lovely place

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"I have just returned from a holiday at Sonesta Inns with two of my friends and we found the hotel to be friendly, clean, and beautifully maintained, the gardens were glorious, the pool was clean and the service was excellent. The breakfasts were varied, always cornflakes and eggs cooked to order, then four hot dishes, lots of toast, breadrolls and croissants, juices, tea, coffee...all served on a shady lawn. Our room was nice, and the air conditioner was marvellous! The staff were always friendly and warm and willing to help, the pool staff tripped over themselves to be helpful, bringing towels and umbrellas to us, our room was cleaned to a very high standard every day, and the beauty parlour gave us a great massage, facial and pedicure...thank you Sonesta, we shan't hesitate to recommend you to friends in the future, and hope to return sometime!"

• Travel date: Fri 28th of April 2006

Past its Prime

Reviewed Thu 11th of October 2012

"The location of this hotel is perfect, off the beaten track so peaceful day and night, and just a very short walk to the beach.
However this hotel has two issues it needs to address to get it right back up to an excellent status.
The hotel is open all year and consequently no refurbishment appears to have been done since the hotel opened. Rooms are tired and in need of a lick of paint, and new bathrooms. Air-conditioning is interesting I became expert in flicking the trip switch to reactivate the system, much to hubbies amusement.
The staff in general are very friendly and helpful apart from the managment.
Several couples staying at the hotel when we were there and ourselves, found that requests for assistance were met by managment with a less than helpful attitude !!! Many people were complaining about the thin mattresses on the beds and when asking for an additional mattress were quoted an additional cost of over £80....
It was iteresting that several couples who had been before and returned said they would NOT do so again without some changes being made.
Come on Sonnesta get your act together you could be GREAT AGAIN !!"

• Travel date: Sun 23rd of April 2006

Decent little hotel

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"This hotel is situated between Candolim and Calangute on a turn off towards the beach. It's quite secluded and very quiet. Open since 1998, it tends to attract repeat travellers and is a hidden gem. They used to do package tours here but havent seen it advertised lately (which is a good thing in Goa these days).

This was my 4th visit and the most noticeable thing is that the staff turnover is very low...same pool attendants, same receptionists, same gardeners...it all smacks of contentment.

Rooms are simple but clean, air conditioning sometimes a bit noisy, mini bar is priced very cheaply which is nice to see! Swimming pool is lovely and quiet, beach a short walk through the hotel grounds where there are now quite a few shacks waiting to pounce on you. Food..so so. Good for daytime snacks but most people tend to go out at night."

• Travel date: Sun 16th of April 2006

Long Stay - Good Stay

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"I arrived in India, via Bombay, with only a two day stay planned at another hotel (a hotel I definitely would not recommend). I had asked the gov't tour office at the airport to recommend a place where I could stay for a long period of time and just venture out from. When I arrived at this hotel I was greeted by a friendly counter staff who were aware of my travel budget. I was more than pleased when I saw my room or should I saw suite on the main floor. Having spent some time in Bombay and at that other hotel, I was pleased with the room and the service. Okay, the power did go out periodically, but that was not entirely the fault of the hotel, the country has rovering power outages during the summer months. something one should know about when travelling in the country. When the power did go out, I opened the balcony door and windows, only to have mosquitos and a few cockroaches come in. There were NO rats. I stayed there for almost two months and will vouch for this fact. I ate breakfast there most of the time and sometimes ate dinner there. Breakfast was much better than the dinner food. They still have to work on preparing some dishes to suit western tastes more. Very good dishes with curry and other spice combinations though. The pool was cleaned daily and has a person around it until about 6 pm. It is just a short walk to the beach. The garden area was being redesigned when I was there. If you like, one can take a short walk down the road to a pharmacy, a local cafe, Bob's Cafe, a small market. Further down the road (3 km) - a great walk, as the staff can tell you are internet cafes, pizza places, stores and the town of Calangute. To take a taxi from the hotel could be expensive and the prices are pretty much standard. However, I learned from the nice front desk staff that taking a local bus is much cheaper. I went from the hotel to several small towns - Mapusa, Pandolim, and often Calangute. The only annoying and recurring thing that happened there was the location of my room. I kept getting loud neighbors coming in at late hours. The hotel did little to remedy that. Room service was good, but I did not like the fact they had to enter my room every day and check the mini-bar. Bed linens were crisp and clean. Room was cleaned daily. All said, I felt welcomed by all the staff and enjoyed getting to know them over the nearly 2 months I stayed there. My job may take me to different countries and for my summer break I needed a place I could relax in. I did not mind the fact it was the start of the monsoon season or the rains. I live in a desert country and welcomed the weather. The people I met in the towns were polite, curiuos and just people on their vacation. I stood in the ocean waves with people from the area, had dinner and drinks with some. When I went back to the hotel, they wanted to know about my day and if everything was okay. If things did go wrong with the room, it was fixed was soon as it was possible. Yes, the AC did go out, not their problem, directly. It was annoying though! Bug bites are part of the climate / area and I got a few. If I was planning a trip back to thier part of India I would definitely considering staying here again, rainy season or not! Getting to know the staff or striking up a conversation with them helps to break the ice."

• Travel date: Tue 4th of April 2006

Not so good Sonesta Inn

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"My wife and I have just returned from the Sonesta Inn, our fifth visit in the last five years and likely our last.The hotel is beautiful,the rooms are well above average for Goa But!!!!!
Nothing changes from year to year,the management are useless and customer relations is not a term they understand or want to participate in. This must be the only hotel that does not want customer feedback-no questionaire or even have you enjoyed your holiday?.
The problems are the same , don't eat the breakfast,ants in the cornflakes, ants on the bread, one morning it took ten eggs to get two boiled eggs, and thats about all thats offered.Service for breakfast is pathetic.
We do not eat other meals in the hotel due to previous bad experiences.
Entertainment- very little and very poor.
The swimming pool looks good but is not very clean.

A previous comment regarding rats did not shock me as you expect rats in India, but yes there are a lot of rats at the Sonesta, whether they are their rats or not I'm not sure ??. Every night a rat ran across the first floor balcony into the closed restaurant, it became such a joke even the staff looked out for it.
Some type of pest control was applied but unfortunatley they sprayed the breakfast area and things did not taste very pleasant the next morning.

This could be a fantastic hotel but all you get is a room and nice surroundings.Prices for this holiday for 2006/07 have gone through the roof and it is no longer value for money.

As we left the hotel,with our 2 friends, the two receptionists and the hotel manager were present but did they ask us if we had enjoyed our holiday or even a 'safe journey home'. Not a hope. Bye Bye Sonesta Inns"

• Travel date: Fri 31st of March 2006

Nice,But!!!

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"We recently stayed at this resort on our wonderfull trip to India.There were 2 couples,ages from 53-60.We had originally planned to stay for 7 days but our stay was shortened to 2 nights.The grounds and pool area were very beautiful,the restaurants looked clean but we never used them.The continental breakfast was good and was busy every morning.A short walk(2-3 mins.) and you could enjoy the beach.
Now for the negative parts of this Inn.On our first night while enjoying a drink at their outdoor bar my wife spotted a Rat running over to about 20 feet of us.Upon informing one of their staff standing around,he said they don't bother anybody and chased it away.Our little friend only appeared once more and at this time we retired to our villa.By the way my wife hates rats.
When we checked in we didn't have water pressure,which they said would get better later in the day.Which it did,kind of!!This was the same in all 3 bathrooms.The sitting area downstairs had the dirtiest carpet I had ever seen.Not a big deal but the window ledges were very filthy.The marble floors needed a major cleaning.All the ceiling fans were not attached to the ceiling .One fan didn't work at all.The plug-in in one washroom was hanging out of the wall.When you turned the faucet in our bathroom either on or off the entire faucet turned with it.But probably the biggest reason was a dark mold that was on the main floor.Three of our party started feeling ill the day after moving in,and we didn't want to chance this being Black mold.
When we discuused this with their manager he said they would move us but by this time we had had enough and decided to move.
As a sidebar, we had met a couple that told us the cleaning staff were kept busy for the rest of the day,hopefully making it clean for the next guests .
This place could be a very nice place to vacation with a little T.L.C.When we were checking out it was comforting to know that the rat we saw didn't belong to their place,according to the manager, but came from the neighbouring premises.I didn't think anybody owned rats.
We thought it would be better considering it was Rs 5500/night."

• Travel date: Wed 15th of February 2006

perfest goa

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"we have just returmed from two weeks at the sonesta hotel candolim goa. excellent accomodation. basic and clean. fridge and tv. with english channels. which is nice for a cool down away from the sun. poll nice size and kept nice. plenty of sunbeds with nice clean towels.hotel is a path away from beach. direct access. staff very friendley and helpfull. i would recomend this hotel. most peaple staying there was five and six years return/"

• Travel date: Mon 7th of March 2005

nice and friendly

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"lovely hotel with pleasant staff who cant seem to do enough for you
really close to the beach and also has a lovely swimming pool
rooms are large and clean and most recently refurbished
air conditioned, satellite tv and mini bar
theme nights 4 times a week and just a lovely place you will want to return to again and again.

Well situated, in a quiet spot in between Calungute and Candolim"

• Travel date: Sun 16th of January 2005

nice pool, otherwise ordinary

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"We stayed there for 2 days from 29 Sep to 1 Oct 2004 paying INR1100 per night. We left because they were upping the rate to more like INR2650 per night from 1 Oct with the start of the expected tourist season I guess.

The Sonesta (some netsites misspell as Sonnesta) Inns Resort had a nice pool (open 8am-6pm?) with water temperature a blissful 32-33C. Basically beachfront, Candolim Beach was a 100m track away through the shrubs but deserted. Goa was mostly closed when we were there as tourist season seems to start more like November. Breakfast had some variety with spicy aloo (potato) and such and toast, eggs and fruit/juice. We ate all meals in the resort as when we arrived, every restaurant appeared closed, and I had heard tales of being mugged walking along unlit lanes at night. Room was OK with cable TV, a/c, fridge, but nothing to get excited about.

Internet was available next to the main office for something like INR60 per hour.

We left there and stayed in the Park Plaza Hotel in Panjim (the capital of Goa) for INR1300 per night, and strangely felt more comfortable, perhaps because in town there was more we could see by walking around.

PROS: quiet, being 300m or so off main road, bliss pool, 100m to beach
CONS: only eating at hotel restaurant as no obvious alternatives within walking distance, mosquitos, noisy a/c, power failures, price more than doubled from 1 October."

• Travel date: Tue 12th of October 2004