Lemon Tree Amarante Beach Resort, Goa

Good
Good

Great Hotel - fabulous

Reviewed Sat 13th of October 2012

"Well if this is rated a 3 star, I must say it was brilliant! The facilities that they provided you with would be 4 stars in many hotels. The staff were brilliant, friendly and very helpful. They give you an unbiased view of the restaurants and areas of interest to visit. We stayed in the heritage room, which was bigger, though it did cost a lot more then the average room, but it definitely was worth it. Where our rooms were situated, it was less then 5 minutes away from the beach. The hotel is quite big, even though they don’t have many rooms as many hotels, but the rooms were spacious, especially the heritage rooms. When walking to the beach, you pass the locals, who are also very friendly. To walk to the beach you cross the sands and not a road that is the only downside, though this was not a problem for us. The room service was brilliant, although the laundry was more expensive then other hotels we stayed in India, but not by much. They cleaned our rooms daily; the staff were always polite and happy. Any small complaints were dealt with promptly. We had 3 people staying in one room, but the heritage room was very spacious, so was no problem. The only downside would be to the area not the hotel itself, so in that terms it would be wrong to mark down the hotel rating because of this. Being Indian, we felt that the resort of Candolim was too commercial. Surrounded with many foreigners from North of England, and a lot of european travellers especially from Russia. This was not a problem but it felt more like visiting the commercial part of Spain, rather then feeling the real culture of India. The restaurants were also very commercial as well. But if you like the real culture you can ask the staff at the restaurants to cook you up a goan style meal, whether it is a meat/poultry dish or a fish or vegeterian dish, the flavours are very authentic and very tasty, regardless of whether you like a lot of heat in your food or not.

So overall, yes the hotel was brilliant and if I visited this part of GOA again, would definitely stay here. Only one negative for this hotel and that would be that they do not provide you with a complimentary transfer service from the airport. Their charges are pretty steep; this was quite a surprise to me as most hotels do provide a free transfer service. I would recommend that you arrange a taxi from inside the airport; this works out cheaper by about 800 rupees for a taxi and is arranged by an official tourist service, so the prices are fixed. Beware of the taxis in goa on the streets, their prices are quite steep so make sure that you arrange your journey and price in good time if you want to visit another part of Goa, as each taxi prices differs. Another very important piece of advice to remember is that Goa has a lot of hawkers’ targeting the tourists. On the beach, you will find a lot of massagers, that are not bad but can be quite expensive, make sure you haggle your price down before you agree a massage. Lemon tree hotel provide a massage service, more expensive then in the street but very relaxing and well worth it. It worked out about £18.00 for a full body massage which is really cheap if you come to think about it. And, trust me, really relaxing. Beware also of the hawkers on mopeds who target tourists and try to trick you into visiting one of their hotels. They will try to lure you in by telling you that you have won a price from one of their tickets they present you with which quite a coincidence that all tickets produces a price. Make sure you don’t fall for this. This is nothing to do with the hotel but with Goa as a whole no matter where you visit around there, but mainly in the tourist areas."

• Travel date: Tue 15th of January 2008

Expensive for what you get: guesthouse stile rooms

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"This place is trying to be better than it is in reality is. They have added all kinds of extra simply to look good on paper. Additionally information on the hotel website is falsified or at least misleading. Not worth the money they are asking.

LOCATION

This hotel is located right on the main beach road. Beach can be accessed by walking some 500 meters along small side roads. On the beach you have loads of beach shacks - and the infamous russian oil tanker River Princess that shipwreched in 2000 and is still there "beautifying" the view.

There is plethora of rather good restaurants close by.

I prefer Baga or north Calangute to Candolim. Beaches there are little less frantic.

ROOMS

I booked the hotel directly from their website. Information on the website appears to be deliberately misleading - giving you a picture that this is a four or five star place. In reality this place deserves 2 1/2 or 3 stars.

Promted by other reviewers at Tripadvisor I booked a garden room which was supposed to have private garden. In reality the "private garden" is shared between all the ground floor rooms (see pictures). You will have to have the curtains closed at all times as there is a parking lot behind the fence.

Other information on the website that is not correct include among others the following:
- "Wifi" that they claimed to have was not there or did not work.
- "Fullsize workstation" is small desk crammed in one corner.
- "Flat screen TV" is not flat screen but a normal CRT TV.
- "Orthopiedic mattress" was possibly made of straws - hard and clumpy.

These are just some examples misleading information this place provides.

The rooms are small and of a motel standard. Bathrooms are the same. The mock medieval paintings add to the wierdness of this place.Additionlly the rooms had a heavy stink of mildew. I tried two and both stinked even if you had the airconditiong on at all times. Unfortunately I do not have pictures of the rooms. It was simply too small to fit into my camera's focus.

All in all, this place is definately not worth the over 200USD price they are asking per night. Right price would be a way under 100USD.

OTHER FACILITIES

The same misleading information continues with all other facilities. Fresco Spa is a small room crammed next to the pool. Fitness Center is provided just "because we have to have one as well". Breakfast was privided in the same style: "because we have to have it".

PERSONNEL

One thing that deserves a special mention is the personnel at this place: all very polite and professional being able to privide special requests as well.

FOR WHOM

Obviously this place is geared towards the Russian and UK package tourists. If you get it cheaply as part of your package - go ahead. Otherwise this place is not worth the money. Motel style rooms at 5 star price. Something is not right..."

• Travel date: Fri 28th of December 2007

A real lemon

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"We have just returned form our stay at the Lemon Tree. Having read the reviews before our visit we were very disappointed and wonder whether we in fact stayed at the same hotel.
The room was the redeeming factor for this hotel, well equipped, clean and comfortable. The pool was good.
However, the reception service was poor and we did not get the impression that 'nothing was too much trouble' - on the contrary, when we approached reception you were lucky if any of them looked up, smiled and gave you any form of acknowledgment.
Breakfast was mediocre with an emphasis on Indian cuisine and no real alternative international options available. Teaspoons are rationed and you have to request one to stir your coffee.
Our room was not cleaned 2 days running - because they forgot!
There is no bar other than the swim up bar.
There seems some confusion over the Noodle restaurant and whether this is part of the hotel or a separate business operating on the hotel premises. This Noodle restaurant offered good food, pricey, excellent ambiance, but let down by the plastic beer and wine glasses but would recommend it.
This hotel is not suitable for people who like to have a friendly drink round the bar with friends, for those who like to have the privacy of a balcony or terrace (well not in pavilion or garden rooms) and for those who like to throw their curtains open in the morning to let the sun shine in - you are facing either shops or waste land.
For a lot of the staff this is their first job in a hotel but they appear to have no direction. They are not told to remove the dirty plastic cups and drinks from the pool area, left there from the previous evening.
This was our 5th visit to Goa and therefore we are aware how good this hotel could be with the right management and staff training.
Much room for improvement."

• Travel date: Thu 13th of December 2007

Yearning to return to LemonTree

Reviewed Fri 28th of December 2012

"I had an incredible experience at the LemonTree resort in Goa. Happenstance got us to LemonTree.

The first thing that struck me about the hotel was its colorful lobby - beautiful shades of red, orange and yellow made for a bright reception. The hotel is well laid out. Its beautifully maintained. I was extremely amazed at the quality of service provided. The staff actually cleared the mutliple tags & security chords (that the airlines had strapped on) off my luggage before showing us to our rooms!!

Every single day was a wonderful experience. I woke up each day at 6:30 am and spent time by the pool with my 2 year old daughter. The WorldSpace music from the Citrus Cafe would start around 7:30 am. The classics played by WorldSpace made for a very tranquil environment.

Days were cheery & Nights were calm-n-peaceful. We actually spent all our time at the hotel and did not do any tourism at all. While my daughter explored the long corridors, my husband enjoyed the spa treatments.

Each and every staff member was helpful, friendly and gracious. They went about their daily chores unobtrusively always willing to accomodate the slightest request made by the guests. Most importantly, they were baby friendly. I had no problems getting custom made food for my baby. The hotel dog Bobby featured on their website was an attraction too !!

I have visited Goa several times and stayed at all kinds of places - 3 star to 7 star. But LemonTree takes the cake (the baker and the bakery too) !!

I have heard several travellers returning from their jaunts saying that they bring back the spirit of that place with them. I finally understood what they meant !! I bought back a large part of LemonTree with me when i returned to Mumbai. And i can't wait to go back there. Even today i go through the hotel pictures that they have posted on their web-site in a bid to relive the experience !!"

• Travel date: Thu 6th of December 2007

Fantastic Lemon Tree Amarante Candolim Goa

Reviewed Sat 29th of December 2012

"Fabulous Hotel, all staff so attentive, nothing too much trouble & they're always so cheerful. Lovely room, lots of nice extras such as bath etc goodies, hair dryer, dressing gown, slippers, dvd player, tv, air conditioning & fan, tea & coffee making, loads more.
Will definately go back. Friends of ours were in another hotel, said ours was so much better even though they were both 3star!!!"

• Travel date: Fri 30th of November 2007

Great stay and experience

Reviewed Sat 29th of December 2012

"One of the best hotels in goa i have ever stayed, just loved the ambience, cleanliness & the staff is very friendly & wonderful. It is a must stay hotel in North Goa."

• Travel date: Tue 20th of November 2007

Excellent service, friendly smiles, true relaxation !

Reviewed Fri 28th of December 2012

"We stayed at Lemon Tree Amarante Beach Resort from Nov 4 -7, 2007 after reaching there from Tarkarli.

We very quite exhausted and although we had booked this resort on our own from the resort web site, we did not know what to expect.

The service at this place was excellent, the house-keeping superb and the staff freindly with smiles all the time ! Since we had visited Goa many times in the past we were just at this resort during the entire period of our stay except for one evening when we went to Baga beach to a famous restaurant for dinner, but were quite disappointed ! We thought that the food at the resort was much better, cleaner and "made to order".

We only hope that they continue to maintain this standard of hospitality : thank you for the wonderful and truly relaxing time we had here."

• Travel date: Wed 7th of November 2007

Loved it - very relaxing

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"we stayed at the lemontree for 5 nights from the 24th October to the 29th. Check in was smooth and our room was amazing. we stayed in a heritage room, no 152, and it was great. we came here to relax after spending over 7 days travelling around Raijastan. The staff were really helpful and couldn't do enough for you, the breakfast was amazing. Cooked English , fresh made omelettes, continental, cakes, danish, Croissants, toast, fruit,cold meats etc. You couldn't have asked for more. The food and room service menu were great. The pool was fantastic and the swim up bar. There is internet access in a specific room set up for it and dvd players in the room with a great selection of DVDs to choose from. You can also get your washing done, which is great if you have been travelling for a long time.
You come out of the property at the back and a short 2 minute walk you're on the beach. The only problem we had was with our toilet when the flush broke. We reported it and after 3 days it broke completely and after a little discussion we moved rooms. They were helpful in the room move and again I couldn't have asked for a better service.
If you turn right out of the property and walk down the road you come to a fab restaurant called the Stonehouse - great place to eat.
I would definitely stay here again."

• Travel date: Mon 5th of November 2007

Great Place!!

Reviewed Sun 30th of December 2012

"This was the 3rd time to Goa, and the best hotel we stayed at so far..I loved the pool and the staff..Everyone was so friendly and most importantly the hotel is clean....spotlessly clean..We stayed in a room with a balcony on the second floor, but i think should we go back we would choose the ground floor instead.

The heritage rooms also looked lovely, with their own private pool....

So if you are planning a trip to Goa, check out this hotel..."

• Travel date: Sun 21st of October 2007

Liked the Hotel, Loved the Service

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"The Service Staff was excellent. I was greeted at every opportunity and they were more than willing to serivice my every need. The positives are endless. However, their are two negatives to this hotel: First, the restaurant is Incredibly expensive. If you want the poolside drinks, expect to pay 250 Rs. plus. Second, Buffet breakfast has only 6 choices which can hardly be consituated as Buffet. But with the economical price of stay, One can surly manage. I will be staying next year as well."

• Travel date: Sun 14th of October 2007