Enjoyable Beach Side Stay

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"Alegria De Goa is one of the finest hotel in Candolim.
Situated at a walking distance of 5mins from Candolim Beach.I am really happy with the services that they provided us.Rooms were very good and specious, neat and clean. Location is really very good and easily accessible from the main city. Services were very prompt and nice. It was really worth for the money.Amazing food quality.
Staff was helpful and the hotel was quite clean and again in future if I visit Goa , I will like to stay in this hotel. I'll surely recommend this hotel for all my friends."

• Travel date: Wed 16th of December 2009

Nice hotel

Reviewed Mon 22nd of October 2012

"The hotel was excellent to stay .I am really happy with the services that they provided us.Rooms were very good and specious, neat and clean. Location is really very good and easily accessible from the main city. Services were very prompt and nice. It was really worth for the money.Amazing food quality.
Staff was helpful and the hotel was quite clean and again in future if I visit Goa , I will like to stay in this hotel. I'll surely recommend this hotel for all my friends. Next time i am planning to go with my friends to this hotel."

• Travel date: Sat 5th of December 2009

Poor standard

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"I have seen some good reviews on this place, but I thought like many guest houses and resorts in Goa, it was of a poor standard.

The room was un-inviting and drab, they wanted 1,500 INR per night, I paid 1,000 INR as it was out of season.

I stayed 1 night as I thought it was not worth the price.

I think Goa needs to raise its standards to keep up with other high standards of places like Thailand and Cambodia."

• Travel date: Sat 12th of September 2009

Marvellous Yet Again

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"5th time staying at the Hotel
Nothing changes Staff Courteous as alwaysand
SYLVESTER still works the boys too hard (ish)
Rooms are comfortable , fridge well stocked and Hotel is ideally situated
Ideal situation for first visit to Goa
Would recomend to anyone"

• Travel date: Wed 1st of April 2009

Excellent location

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Everything is done to accomodate your needs, all requests within reason are carried out. The staff seem very well trained and extremely friendly. The hotel whilst basic is clean and the hygiene can not be faulted. The pool is very well maintained and spotless. The immediate area around the hotel leaves a lot to be desired and could do with a clean up (not the hotels fault) All Candolims amenities are very close by and a lot of the bars have live entertainment most evenings. The beach is only ten minutes stroll away and much cooler than sat around the pool which can be uncomfortably hot. Plenty of shacks and sunbeds serving excellent food etc. at low cost. All in all Goa is an excellent Winter retreat and is very popular with the older age group escaping the British winter.

Mr.& Mrs R Haworth"

• Travel date: Tue 17th of February 2009

Good in parts and let down by others

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"This is my 7th visit to Goa and first time to the hotel.

The location of this hotel is ideal, in the middle of the resort and minimum disruption from traffic

Original room allocated B5 which had no view from the back, distinct lack of furniture in what was an enormous apartment - bedroom, living room, kitchen area (no facilities) and bathroom. Problem with this room was the bedroom was at the back of the hotel and therefore suffered from a lot of early morning noise from locals and the bread man sounding his horn from 6.30. After a week we moved to A1 above reception which lacked a kitchen area and had a balcony that overlooked the pool area and therefore had a view. Both rooms only had one wardrobe with 2 draws and 2 bamboos bedside table with a small shelf

Breakfast was the best we have experienced in Goa and all the following choices included in the package :-
Tea or coffee &
Orange or Mango juice &
Cornflakes or porridge &
Banana or Watermelon &
Toast with butter/jam &
Choice of eggs boiled, omelet, fried or scrambled

Service at breakfast was extremely slow, choices often incorrect (no self service) however all very enjoyable

Evening meals were included up to 3 times a week and the Chicken Xacuti was particularly good. Service better in the evening than the morning

Pool area was lovely and clean and the pool was cleaned daily

Housekeeping was prompt and quickly provided glasses and extra pillows. Also the bed was very comfortable by Goan standards. I feel the cleaning especially of room floors could have been better, however towels were changed every day and beds changed every other day. Plenty of hot water and effective AC at no extra cost.

Reception was very friendly and on site tailor very good. We had a leather jacket altered as the sleeves were too long and they had zips on the sleeves. The tailor did an excellent job for 400 rupees in shortening the sleeves but retaining the zips

Downside of this hotel
• TV very rarely had any available channels therefore for those who are staying longer than a fortnight and do not want to go out every night can be a problem. No English news programs or films, not even BBC world news. Lots of Indian channels
• Views from the balcony from some rooms
• Either provide smaller rooms or more furniture but big rooms with very little furniture do not help you feel comfortable in the rooms

Would I use the hotel again, I think so as it compares with other hotels in Candolim that I have used and the positives of this hotel do outweigh the negatives. Just don’t go expecting luxury and accept the good with the bad."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of February 2009

Great Hotel

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Alegria de Goa ( Goan Village) Candolim
Had a 3 week stay at Alegria de Goa Candolim 6/12/08 to 28/12/08. Very pleasant hotel with all the ameneties ( working(
shower, dish tv ( sports,news,movie ) telephone in room to reception,maintenance, restaurant and linen room.Stayed bed and breakfast .choice of porridge,cornflakes,toast and jam tea and coffee.What is very different about this hotel is you get 3 meal vouchers per week per person to use in the Goan Village restaurant.Anything can be selected from the evening menu up to the value of 350 rupees per person.The only thing on the menu you couldnt afford was the tiger prawns the cost of them was 450 rupees but you just pay the difference.You pay for all drinks.The room we stayed in b2 had 2 areas bedroom with kingsize bed, airconditioning and fridge full of pepsi, beers,wine on arrival ( pay at the end of your holiday for these )The other room had a bed setee table and chairs.B2 had 2 balconies one overlooking the lovely pool and the other not particularly a pleasant view but hey who cares l was in Goa.
The staff were vey pleasant and cheerie ! ! Tailors onsite, small gym massage parlour, internet ( minimum 1 hr cost 60 rupees ) International telephone, money exchange ( at a good rate ) Room cleaned everyday bedding and towels everyother day ( and certainly never had to ask. Swimming pool open 7am to 7pm.
l must say l was a little apprehensive on this hotel and l think somebody else describes the Alegria de Goa as a " little Gem " well that fits perfectly. the hotel is 7 years old ( although it looks 30, Goan standards ) Its small but not too small.10 minutes walk from the beach. We saw 4 cocroaches in our room ( on separate occasions over the 3 weeks ) When we phoned reception they were very quick to act. No sign of any rats.Had no sickness of anykind. All in all an excellent holiday and would not hesitate to go back. to put things into a clear perspective donot think u are heading for a luxury hotel ( there were people who said they were not staying in that room and left ) Probably holidaymakers who had not done Goa before.........................Well we had a fab time and so will u
Forgot to say u donot pay for airconditioning it is included in the price though we used it very little being December month. Cheers Sereta"

• Travel date: Tue 30th of December 2008

Great value budget hotel

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"We booked this hotel via the Thomas Cook website which was outstanding value. We paid less for 2 weeks bed and breakfast and 6 evening meals each, than our friends who booked flight only! The hotel was also known as the Goan Village till recently and reviews can probably be found under that name too.
For a Goan hotel it is of a good standard but probably only equates to a 2 star standard elsewhere. Our room was huge (rooms actually- as we had 4!), Living room, kitchen - but only a sink in it, bathroom , bedroom and 2 balconies. The rooms were kept very clean with towels changed daily and sheets every 2 days. We also had aircon provided at no extra cost and satellite TV. Living room had a fridge which was already stocked with water,beer,soft drinks and snacks and topped up as needed by the room boys.
Breakfast was ok but little choice offered - they did not seem to be using the a la carte menu in the morning which had bacon, beans, sausage etc on it. The usual choice was tea/coffee, fruit juice, one portion of fresh fruit from papaya, pineapple or banana, eggs (omlette/fried/scrambled/boiled), toast, butter and jam. Sylvester the manager often popped down to help out and offered extra portions. Dinner was amazing value - to explain, on arrival we were given 6 tickets each worth up to 300 Rs per ticket. The most expensive main course on the menu was 200Rs so you could always manage 3 courses or as we did twice, just use 1 ticket if you weren't that hungry. Drinks were extra but still very cheap. Paul became totally hooked on the tandoori chicken, which was a whole chicken cooked in the genuine tandoor (used every night). The standard of food was excellent - better than a lot of the local restaurants.
Swimming pool was excellent too, with a waterfall and plenty of beach beds (but no brollies).
Path behind the hotel leads straight down to the beach (Bulldog shack & 21 Coconuts just nearby and Bobby's just a couple of hundred yards further north). New arrivals will be surprised by the rubbish near the beach though, which seems to be worse this year. It was pretty disgusting and smelly to walk past. The government were to have been providing funding for rubbish collectors and it will be a shame if they don't get round to this soon or people will stop coming.
Candolim shops nearby - I switched my SIM card at Bruno's shop near the hotel for just 500 Rs and this lasted us 2 weeks with lots of local calls to taxis and resident friends plus numerous calls back to England. Bruno's is amazing - a tiny shop which sells everything. Taxis are still excellent value - about 50 Rs to any Candolim restaurant and not much more to Calangute (same with Tuk Tuks). We took an overnight trip to Palolem with its fabulous beach/swimming/huts/restaurants and the driver only charged 1800 Rs - stayed with us for the 2 days and this included his accommodation.
All in all a really good base this hotel - particularly if you wanted to travel further afield. I will post some pictures as soon as I have time to process them."

• Travel date: Sat 10th of May 2008

Amazing hotel

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"we've just come back from a two week stay at this hotel and would like to clarify that this is a lovely hotel. we were a bit concerned about the lack of reports on it and even more so when we were given room A1, the only one mentioned! However, we had a fantastic time at this hotel. we're fairly well travelled and have stayed in a wide range of hotels from basic hostels to super luxury 5* and we couldn't fault this place.

The roomboys came everyday to change linen and towels (and arrange them in pretty designs!). the restaurant there, The goan village, serves delicious fresh food with a smile. We had no problems with our room A1, we didn't find it noisy except for the air con tho from speaking to other poeple this was the same in other rooms. There was satellite tv with games on as well and the rooms are huge with plenty of space to spread out.

It is in an excellent central location, with Beach road about a 5 min walk away and the beach the same distance down a side track by the hotel. There are lots of bars/restaurants in the immediate vicinity.
At the end of the side track is the beach and a fabulous beach shack called The Whitehorse. The people here are lovely and will happily look after your towels for you to save carting them back and forth. The food is great and very cheap and their late drinks are ace! Also, there is barely any hassle from the beach sellers as the boys who work there do most of their own trade-all you have to do is say no and they'll move on easily.

if anyone is staying at this hotel and wants more info, i have photos and wil reply to pm's."

• Travel date: Thu 1st of May 2008

My Wife and I cant seem to stay away fro...

Reviewed Fri 18th of April 2008

"My Wife and I cant seem to stay away from the place !!
Sylvester and his Restaurant Crew are the best in the Business
If you are a lover of a good Indian Takeaway in UK then prepare to be amazed by Goan Cuisine
Will be 4th visit in Jan 2009
My wife and I have booked 2 weeks in Cuba from Jan 11 to 25 but the momment we did it we regretted not going back to Goa
What we have done ,which is further testament to the Alegria is booked a follow on vacation for 2 weeks starting 29 Jan
However a good idea is to choose Premiere Class cabin as it is a long haul flight"

• Travel date: Fri 18th of April 2008

We will be staying at the Alegria De Goa...

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2007

"We will be staying at the Alegria De Goa for the third time in January. By Indian standards the Alegria is very good. The staff are so friendly and what to help you have a good holiday, they keep their distance but are right by your side when needed.

We were surprised on our 2nd visit how many people were there from the 1st time we went which goes to prove not just us going back again and again. Come to the Alegria and want for nothing."

• Travel date: Wed 24th of October 2007

Absolutely magic, 3rd trip in 3 years. A...

Reviewed Thu 19th of April 2007

"Absolutely magic, 3rd trip in 3 years. All you could want from a hotel in Goa.

Trips available locally and people genuinely want to help and the brochure tells it like it is.

Sylvester and his team can’t do enough to help and the hotel is ideally placed between beach and town.

Ask your rep to book you in there soon. You won’t regret it."

• Travel date: Thu 19th of April 2007