Resort Village Royale

Near Dharwardkar Nursing Home, Saligao, Bardez 403516 India

“Fantastic”

"“Fantastic”
The village royal is a really basic hotel so don’t go expecting 5 star cos it just aint happening.However..its a really nice place and the staff are really lovely and cant do enough for you.The food is absolutely lovely and we ate there a lot as it was so good. I had the best Chinese I have ever tasted and the chicken Tikka Masala and nann is amazing. The bar staff are so friendly and helpful and a real good laugh.
The rooms like I said are very basic but you have all you need. I read a review which suggested taking your own pillows. I’m so glad we did this. I just bought the vacuum packed two pillows from asda and we left them there which gave us plenty of room left to bring stuff back.Dont take a lot of clothes as you wont need them and can buy plenty there cheap as chips.
Don’t buy the plug in bug busters in uk as they are only £! In goa and the bug repellent is also cheap.
The hotel is a bit of a trek from Calangute centre but a cab only costs 70 rupees which is less than a £1.I was glad to be staying a little way out of town as Calangute centre is mad hot dusty and crowded. Although it was great to go there it was also great to get out and back to some peace and quiet. We went at the end of Oct so the hotel was not packed. thank goodness.
Don’t book any of the trips as you can do these a lot cheaper on your own by booking your taxi. Although we did do the 2 day elephant trip which was £89 each but well worth it as we stayed over night and it included all food. We got to bathe in a river with the elephants and had a lot of contact which was amazing. I don’t think you can do this without going through the agent.
Another trip well worth doing is “jake the snake” crocodile spotting river trip. Ask any taxi driver and he will take you there. It cost about £10 for the day plus all drinks and snacks included and you will get to see some crocodiles in there natural habitat.
I loved Goa and the people and the village royal was great. We made some great friends there and had a lot of laughs. I paid a very small price for such a great holiday. It amazed me that people grumbled and moaned about the village royal but all I can say is if you expected a 5 star hotel you should of paid for one. REMEMBER this is a third world country and they do there best with what they have so try to keep an open mind and make the most of a wonderful experience.
Forget all the make up and fancy clothes. Your make up will melt and your clothes will get covered in red dust so chill out and go with the flow.
Oh Yes if you need any dental work done there are some great very cheap dentists. I got all my fillings done in white for £50 and if you need prescription glasses get them here. My friend got 2 pairs with lovely frames for £80.I hope all this helps.
Jayne and Sam and Mark Bournemouth."

• Travel date: Fri 30th of November 2007

loved every minute just go and enjoy

"dave&steve. skeggy stayed at village royale november 2006 quite a cultural shock at first when you see your room. but the room is for sleeping in. we spent most days exploring goa on organised trips what an eye opener how these people work and live but they are so friendly and happy, pity its not the same in england. the beaches are lovely spent a lot of time on calangute beach its only a 15 minute walk from the hotel the shack owners treat you like royalty, you do get a little hassle, but a polite no a few times and off they go, but remember they are only earning a living for their family .the staff at village royale are brilliant and dont expect tipping everytime they do something for you. the food was exellent and we were looked after by everyone and its safe to walk anywhere in calangute . we will be returning again thats definite so go and enjoy yourselves."

• Travel date: Wed 28th of November 2007

Home from home

"Spent 3 Holidays at the village now and my fourth is comming up twice with a friend and this will be my second alone.As a single lady I AWAYS feel SAFE at the village.Yes its basic but as Many reviews have said you DONT spend your holidays in your room.WHICH ARE cleaned Daily you HAVE a shower you Have Elec and yes sometime the power goes out but NOT that often and you are in India its ALL part of the Holiday. WHAT makes the Village SPIECAL is the STAFF nothings too much trouble miricals they do at once the impossible takes a little longer. The food is great sometimes it takes awhile but thats because its cooked when you order it to make sure its fresh and not stuck on some hotplate.Given a little notice they will cook you anything you only have to ask. I`ve stayed in 5* hotels and pound for pound you get more than your money`s worth at the Village.I`d recomend it too ALL ages encluding familys.There`s taxi`s at the gate which cost penny`s compaired to the UK and if you book the same one to pick you back up you can be SURE they will and normally at a reduced rate. They are also great for telling you good places to visit. Its quite if you want that but only minuites from Calangute and Bagga.Just remember your in a 3rd world country and enjoy."

• Travel date: Fri 31st of August 2007

**GREAT**

Good

"This was our first trip to Goa, we are in our early 20's and enjoyed every minute! anyone eho complains about this hotel needs to remember where they are, in a third world country!! unless you are planning to live in your room then there is no problem whatsoever. Yes it was basic but if you want the ritz then dont bother leaving london! just looking at the people around you makes you realise how lucky you are! We are definatly going back next season! The hotel was in a quiet location and all the staff were more than helpful, the taxi drivers outside the hotel were especially helpful, and took you wherever you want to go! Overall anyone who complains about this place is a snob!"

• Travel date: Tue 1st of May 2007

village royal hotel

"me and my husband just came back a week ago had an amazing time,the village royal is very basic as accomodation goes but you dont go to india to stay in your room,the staff where excellent and the food lovely . would definetly stay there again. sarah & steve wolverhampton."

• Travel date: Tue 10th of April 2007

Loved It

"I was totally unsure of what to expect. I had just returned from The Gambia which I hated and was told that Goa was the same. Whoever told me that has obviously never been to Goa. The Indian people are lovely. They do not hassle you and if you say "No", they wish you a nice day and walk/drive off. The Hotel was basic, but then again I did expect this as I only booked 2*, but clean and comfortable and the staff were very friendly. Breakfast that was included was only tea/coffee (which you made yourself) and toast but there was a menu where you could order other items. The food was good and I thought it was pretty reasonable price wise for a hotel. The trip to the Doodhsagar Waterfalls was amazing. You can feed the monkeys with bananas and nuts. The Saturday Night Market at Arpora is an experience! There are many great restaurants in Calangute, Candolim and Baga which are cheap and the food is good. Dinner on the beach at Baga was an experience - don't believe the waiter when he tells you that the water doesn't come near the table - lucky we had finished eating by the time the wave wiped us out!! Titos Baga is a great nightclub and definitely worth a visit. Whilst there, treat yourself to a handmade suit - £40 and ready in 48 hours. I loved it so much that I am going back again to the Village Royal in January 2008."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of April 2007

An unbiased look at the Village Royal

"I will try to be unbiased in my review of the VR hotel, Calangute. I have travelled to Goa on numerous occasions and have stayed at hotels from 5* to 0*. The VR resort comprises some 12 blocks arranged in 2 rows of 6 with central garden and walkways between. At the entrance end is the reception, swimming pool and covered restaurant area alongside. Do not expect luxury accomodation at the VR; the rooms comprise bedroom with annexe off and wetroom with toilet, washbasin and shower. The bedrooms have twin 4' beds and the mattresses are not the thickest, however, neither my wife or I (who are used to a soft mattress) had any problems sleeping on these. 1 pillow is provided but on asking, more are available.There is a bedside table and a ceiling fan in the bedroom. The floors are polished stone aggregate and cool to walk on. In the annexe part is a double wardrobe with adequate hangers and a worktop with shelving under. The wetrooms are white tiled floor and walls and have a wall-hanging geyser for the shower hot water.The upper floor rooms have balconies which face either into the central garden area or over the outside grounds which are shaded palm trees on the South side and open fields to the North. We found both aspects fine...the North especially interesting with birds and squirrels in abundance.The ground floor rooms however have doors which lead straight to the grassed area and therefore, no privacy - if allotted one of these then ask for a move to an upper floor if privacy is important. We would have not stayed if given one of these rooms. The decoration of the rooms is tired but typical of the 'Indian Way'. The rooms are cleaned daily and cleaned well and towels and linen changed every other day. We have always had a caring and attentive lad who cleans and cares for each block. The pool area has sunbeds and towels provided and is small but adequate and clean. The covered restaurant area is alongside. The food here is OK but not as good as most of the restaurants in the area off-site. There is a bar area with cable TV and low-budget entertainment every day or so. Don't expect Shirley Bassey! The complex itself is set outside of Calangute and as a result is quieter day and night. The walk to town is a pleasant 10-15mins and by taxi or scooter just 3 mins. Foreign exchange is available at reception but the rates are poor.....change money in town at Menezes supermarket or similar.There are a couple of shops on site, a tailor and a boutique and a beauty parlour/massage booth. There is a small shop within 50m of the complex which sells tea, coffee, sundry cosmetics and shaving gear, batteries etc. The owner is Joseph a most pleasant guy who is always eager to please and offer advice. He also hires scooters at 200rps/day and has a phone kiosk - (cheap calls home).Taxis are available at the gate.
In conclusion.......the VR is a basic hotel in a nice area with caring and attentive staff which we have found nice enough to revisit on several occasions. If you are looking for anything other than real Goan hotel accommodation with some of its shortcomings then look elsewhere but if you expect friendliness and reasonable service at low cost with that 'muck in' feel then don't be afraid to book the Village Royale, we've had better times here than at all of the 4 and 5 star places we have stayed in Goa put together."

• Travel date: Sun 11th of March 2007

village royal hell hole

"just got back from goa the village royal is the worst hotel we've stayed in and we've been 3 times to goa. we are in our late 30's so we arnt that old, the hotel room that we were in was on the 3rd floor smelt of damp and the view from the balconey was of the enchanted forest, the fan was over the balconey door so no good to keep you cool at night, we expected a basic room but this was below basic, you have to get a taxi to and from the hotel to go any where, my hubby ordered his breakfast 1 morning which was suppose to be tea and toast more like toilet water and stale bread he asked 3 times and never got it and they need to learn how to fry eggs. apart from the hotel we had a fantastic holiday would highly recommend the rovers return on calangute beach (turn left at the steps to the beach and walk for about 5mins look for the 2 little red flags flying from poles on the roof) we ate here every day and some nights cannt fault the hospitality or the food. all meals cooked to your tastes and the breakfast is brill, the lobster, prawns and fish are very fresh and the suckling pig is great feeds 4 or more but you have to order it. sunbeds are well spaced out well worth a visit. all said and done we had a great holiday but never again will we go to village royal."

• Travel date: Mon 11th of December 2006

Nice friendly basic 2 star hotel

"Just come back from 2 weeks at the Village Royal. This is a nice friendly basic 2 star hotel.

The rooms are basic but comfortable with a bed, wardrobe, ceiling fan, ensuite bathroom and balcony. The rooms are cleaned daily and fresh towels and bed linen is provided.

There is an out door swimming pool and bar area which is really clean and the food is brilliant. All the staff at the hotel are so friendly and welcoming they will do anything for you.

The hotel is in a quiet setting away from the hustle and bustle of Calangute a 10-15 minute walk away. There is also a free mini bus run by the hotel to Calangute throughout the day. Taxis are also availble night and day outside the hotel gates.

As long as you remember this is a 2 star hotel and not a luxury hotel then the village royal is great. We would defiantly stay again."

• Travel date: Mon 11th of December 2006

stayed here twice love it both times great location, quite staff friendly,good

"we have stayed at the village royal twice and found it to be in great quite location ten minuite walk to calangute ,
the lads in hotel were very good rooms ok food excellent and lots going on at nights
weve booked again for this hotel staying from xmas-end jan 07 cant wait.
weve been giong to goa for 15 / 16 yrs now been about 20 times,
stayed at the osborne for 14 / 15 times thats good location but wouldnt go and stay theyre again got spoilt at the village and at silent resort last xmas"

• Travel date: Sat 2nd of December 2006

best holiday and hotel for price !!!!!

Good

"Goa is fab the holiday was brill, The village Royal Calangute made the holiday, it was drab and somewhat faulty tower like, But that made the visit to Goa more real and exciting after all this is India not Miami!!. It has a charm that cannot be equaled any where , i loved the food and the quaintness of the place . Me and Sally loved it our visit on 11th march 2015.. out stripped many a plastic holiday, The lads worked tirelessly to serve and help. hotel is 2 miles from the beach but the walk to the beach was hot and sweaty , a few stops on the way and a cool coke or nice coffee in a little cafe on route soon recharged the batteries ..i will go back to the Royal loved it !! i am already missing the place ........thank you all at the Hotel Royal Calangute."

• Travel date: Tue 7th of April 2015

hotel

"On arrival at 2am on 6th February 2015 I was taken up to my room or filthy hole should I say, too tired and because no one was there to offer me another room I tried to get some sleep but not before videoing the stained sheets, filthy toilet and lack of cleanliness in general. Then when complaining the next morning a room-boy was sent to clean the room just proving it hadn't t been done for my arrival as afterwards it was just passable. Then that same day a group of Indian men was put in the rooms around me so for 3nights I got no sleep as they came in at all hours of the night shouting banging on my door and generally being a nuisance. On the Monday I asked to be moved to another room explaining my lack of sleep and was told my reception that they were leaving the hotel that morning, but failing to tell me two young Indian couples would take their place.!!!!!!! Well they weren't , t as bad but , don.t go there expecting breakfast on time, a clean dining area in the morning or a rep to talk to as none of this happens one elderly couple I spoke too admitted they have even had to clean for 2 days to get mold off their room walls also two ladies said there was mold on their curtains and wall and one of those ladies had a bad chest most of her stay there, as did another lady. So I rang a friend and paid to stay in a clean apartment were everything was what you, d expect. Please don, t be fooled by the brochure as an regular visitor to Goa over 15 yrs this place is the most disgusting hotel I have ever seen there."

• Travel date: Tue 24th of February 2015

Hotels near Resort Village Royale

Stayed at Resort Village Royale? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Resort Village Royale

• nina.mccabe by nina.mccabe

"Take a trip to southern Goa. It is beautiful and a lot quieter. "

• Jo*Jo by Jo*Jo

"Very Busy.....try the soulth for a slower pace "

• janeandfrank by janeandfrank

"Wonderful place wonderful people! "

• janeandfrank by janeandfrank

"We visited many local restaurants and did not have a bad meal in any. "

• angelah by angelah

"we loved the waterfalls, the spice plantation and loved to go to the beach shacks on baga beach "

• maz_n_jake by maz_n_jake

"10/10 excellent hot weather lovely beaches brilliant night life in town brilliant food "

• maz_n_jake by maz_n_jake

"the hotel food is briliant the capricorn is brilliant ,crocodile dundee trip is a must do "

• tonygreg by tonygreg

"Punjabi Dabi restaurant near the mini roundabout close to Calangute beach was great. "

• julie obrien by julie obrien

"I love the way you can drive past an elephant in the high street! "

• julie obrien by julie obrien

"Without a doubt, A Reverie. The most romantic place i "

• bethjones16 by bethjones16

"Have to bargain to buy everything/try some of the quiet beaches north or south! "

• jadeleanne:) by jadeleanne:)

"very basic but enjoyable "

• mango by mango

"planning to return next year "

• C McDermott by C McDermott

"Relaxing, quiet corner in a chaotic place "

• goa by goa

"make sure you dont tan too much - you will be ignored for the whole of your stay "

• Martin S by Martin S

"relax and enjoy your self "

• Jo W by Jo W

"don, t stay there!!!!! "

Resort Village Royale is also called