Good

best holiday and hotel for price !!!!!

Reviewed Wed 8th of April 2015

"Goa is fab the holiday was brill, The village Royal Calangute made the holiday, it was drab and somewhat faulty tower like, But that made the visit to Goa more real and exciting after all this is India not Miami!!. It has a charm that cannot be equaled any where , i loved the food and the quaintness of the place . Me and Sally loved it our visit on 11th march 2015.. out stripped many a plastic holiday, The lads worked tirelessly to serve and help. hotel is 2 miles from the beach but the walk to the beach was hot and sweaty , a few stops on the way and a cool coke or nice coffee in a little cafe on route soon recharged the batteries ..i will go back to the Royal loved it !! i am already missing the place ........thank you all at the Hotel Royal Calangute."

• Travel date: Tue 7th of April 2015

hotel

Reviewed Tue 24th of February 2015

"On arrival at 2am on 6th February 2015 I was taken up to my room or filthy hole should I say, too tired and because no one was there to offer me another room I tried to get some sleep but not before videoing the stained sheets, filthy toilet and lack of cleanliness in general. Then when complaining the next morning a room-boy was sent to clean the room just proving it hadn't t been done for my arrival as afterwards it was just passable. Then that same day a group of Indian men was put in the rooms around me so for 3nights I got no sleep as they came in at all hours of the night shouting banging on my door and generally being a nuisance. On the Monday I asked to be moved to another room explaining my lack of sleep and was told my reception that they were leaving the hotel that morning, but failing to tell me two young Indian couples would take their place.!!!!!!! Well they weren't , t as bad but , don.t go there expecting breakfast on time, a clean dining area in the morning or a rep to talk to as none of this happens one elderly couple I spoke too admitted they have even had to clean for 2 days to get mold off their room walls also two ladies said there was mold on their curtains and wall and one of those ladies had a bad chest most of her stay there, as did another lady. So I rang a friend and paid to stay in a clean apartment were everything was what you, d expect. Please don, t be fooled by the brochure as an regular visitor to Goa over 15 yrs this place is the most disgusting hotel I have ever seen there."

• Travel date: Tue 24th of February 2015

Five star ***** well this is india

Reviewed Sat 23rd of June 2012

"hello all.
myself and my wife have stayed here many times,
well here goes my storie.
1/ when you arive you take your own bag of the coach,
2/ go to the reception and check in (may be a bit bizzy thow)
3/ ASK A Stranger POLITIEY if he can help you to your room,
and watch just how help full he will be to you.(please spare a thought to this person as he is only paid around 1 pound aday )
4/ Dont forget Speak to othere people the way you would like them to speak to you.
5/ TIPS get you every thing Dont forget this part..........
We have stayed at many hotels in goa, from five star luxuary with a 24hr butler, to a bamboo hut on the beach, and in my oppiniun this hotel has all what you want it to be,you wont find wi.fi and you wont have a teas maid,and the butler wont answer the bell. If your room is not clean all you have to do is ask nicley and it will be cleaned agian.
If your bed is not made the way you like (well make it your self).
The food is exelent and always served with a FREE smile (you pay for that in five star).
As for the bugs there not a big problem the reception will always give you a bug ring this will keep them at bay,
ok this hotel is not close to the center, out side the hotel gate you will find a taxi driver who will gladley take you there for now more than two pounds,(you would not get 50 yards at home for that)
like i say this is luxary to a goan and thay see it a privalidge to serve you, treat them respectfull and you will be given vip treatment from a real person (not a paid bell boy or butlar)
Dont forget who booked this hotel and why (it was cheep),If you wanted luxary you to pay for it....
And lastley i hope you have a wonder full holliday in goa and experiance all of its wonderfull people

• Travel date: Sat 23rd of June 2012

Never Again

Reviewed Fri 13th of January 2012

"Stayed at the Village Royal hotel for two weeks.Never Again Ever!!!!

I have been to Goa many many times but this hotel was the hell hole that you only have nightmares about.

It was isolated - in the middle of a field - so even if you wanted to go for a walk in the morning you were attacked by groups of dogs around the site. No sign of beach or town - unless you paid for a taxi (the hotel did not allow tuk tuks to come and pick you up - hmmm).

The shuttle bus the hotel ran only started off at 10am in the morning - too late as the heat is full on and by the time you catch the last shuttle back at 4.15 you are going back to a isolated hotel with no means of getting to the beachs, restuarants, nightlife, ouch!!!Apart from the isolation the rooms are basic and sheets and floors dirty.

I am a UK born Indian and proud of this fact - but at the Village Royal there was a two tier system - the front pool and front rooms were "reserved" for the european guests. The back pool and back rooms were occupied by visiting local indian tourists.

This system was further worsened by staff not allowing indian paying guests to use the front pool - only my english accent stopped them in their tracks.

I also observed that in the evening, there was a clear policy of no indians sitting in the main restaurant - until I invited a whole group to join me at my table!!!!

Again the reception staff were openly rude - until they found out you were from overseas. I never ever thought I would come up against this in India - what are the management thinking and doing - allowing this to go on........ disgraceful.

• Travel date: Thu 12th of January 2012

Never again

Reviewed Wed 14th of December 2011

"My wife and I stayed in the second room we were given, the first room was filthy! The first thing I noticed was a splash of black muck a foot square that had dried on a wall beside the bed. The walls on the whole were grubby, dust on surfaces etc. and the impression was of total negligence. The second room was only marginally better. This was to prove to be the standard throughout the two weeks.

We booked with Monarch and were not made aware that there was a charge for everything! A/C, Fridge, T.V., safe, if we had paid the extra prices we could have stayed in the 3* Palmarinah which would have included all of the above, complimentary toiletries and a decent breakfast! Talking of breakfast, I think two pieces of dried up toast and jam, described by the waiter as "complimentary" can hardly be described as 'breakfast'.
Talking of waiters, there were about four very good ones and the rest exhibited a 'couldn't care less' attitude at best, and outright contempt at worst.

I'm not sure if sleeping on the remnants of someone else’s' dried bodily fluids is your idea of a good time, but it's not mine, nor is drying my face with them either. Every piece of bed linen, every pillowcase, every towel, was stained and stained badly! C.S.I. forensic teams could have held training exercises in the rooms and I didn't dare look at the mattresses!

To end the holiday, I found £40 and a Havana Cigar missing from my luggage. I reported it, but as it was on my last day that I discovered the loss, and I was just so glad to leave

• Travel date: Tue 13th of December 2011

fab holiday

Reviewed Fri 11th of February 2011

"just got back from goa, stayed at village royal hotel this is are 4th time and it gets better. room boys great, fun all round will be going back next year meet loads of great people see you all next year room c5 a& p"

• Travel date: Fri 11th of February 2011

Excellent Holiday!

Reviewed Tue 1st of February 2011

"I'd just like to contribute to the reveiws of this hotel to put the record straight. I have stayed in many differnt hotels in Goa - Nizmar, Osborne, Tio Carmino, Colonia de Braganza etc and I can honestly say this one is my favourite! So much so that I have booked again for March 2011. My aunty who is in her early 60's has also stayed here twice on her own and really enjoyed herself.

There are good and bad points to all the above hotels a lot of it is down to personal preference. In my experience all the hotels offer the same sort of basic but clean standard with the same tea, coffee, make-your-own-toast breakfast! You get the usual scare stories of people contracting this that and the other at all the hotels I have stayed at, and also people checking in and checking out straight away in horror - this is india it can be a lot to take in after a long flight! Here are my pros and cons of staying at this hotel in comparison to others I have stayed in:

Pros: Nice tranquil surroundings out of the chaos of Calangute - with wild peacocks walking in the fields around the hotel!
Excellent food- amazingly clean kitchen
Large pool- plenty of sunbeds and space around it
Good atmosphere - large bar area
friendly staff

Cons; Have to pay extra for a fridge, no phones in rooms, have to get taxi's as it's too far to walk to the centre.

Please note there are powercuts, periods of no/cold water, ants/ cockroaches and lizards in rooms, mold/ stained sheets/ windows/ doors that don't shut properly, rock hard mattresses at all the above hotels I have stayed in - this is Goa and these are acceptable Indian standards not western European standards!

People don't go to Goa for the hotels they go for the culture, it really is a special place and if your just going for the hotel you may as well go to Europe!

One more point about the cleanliness - when we first arrived it looked like our toilet hadn't been cleaned in a decade I thought what does it take to put a bit a bleach down the toilet! so I went to the supermarket bought some toilet cleaner and a scrubbing brush. After a lot of scrubbing I managed to clean it from rusty orange back to white again, however within 24 hours the rusty orange coating had appeared again to how it had looked when we arrived. This proved to me that they DO clean the toilets and sheets but the water has some kind of rusty orange element to it hence the orange stains on the sheets!

Remember this hotel is around £8 per room per night the Osborne for example is around £22. When you consider that it really is a bargain!

• Travel date: Sat 29th of January 2011

Excellent hotel for the price

Reviewed Mon 29th of November 2010

"I just recently returned from this hotel and I loved it. The hotel is very basic which don't bother me as a solo traveller. The staff are brilliant who will do anything for you. Will go again next year...... This holiday was the best ever as i made some new friends who made the experience even better.."

• Travel date: Fri 26th of November 2010

what a experiance.

Reviewed Mon 10th of May 2010

"Just got home from the Village Royal, we read the review of the hotel before we went, it was very basic, the sheets not clean the room needed a face lift and painting. But for those who read this you booked this hotel for the same reason we did. It was cheap, what do you expect from a 2* hotel in India, if you wanted the best then pay a bit more. We enjoyed our stay we enjoyed talking to the people we met in India. The staff were great would do anything to please, the Taxi from the hotel to the beach was only £1.00. there was a free bus to the beach and return. We english could learn from the people from India, not one winge from people working 16 hrs a day happy with their lot, we did not stop with the constant people complaining about what they have not got with this hotel. It was an experiance to which we will return to. This hotel will get better in time."

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of May 2010

our stay

Reviewed Tue 4th of May 2010

"we stayed at this hotel from the 10 of april until the 26 of april 2010.the hotel was clean and well looked after,the staff were all polite and well mannered considering everything they have to put up with and i mean the guests that just were rude and ignorant,what people have to remember is that the country is poor and they are paying mostly for two week holidays(some are lucky enough to have longer)but you wouldent get a holiday in europe for the prices that you pay in goa also the staff are working for six months of the year and then they cannnot work because of the weather conditions so what we take for granted,like a job and food in our bellys is not a thing that these people have the luxuary of being able to do,it makes you ashamed to be british when you hear the remarks that some tourists make and the way they click there fingers at the staff.the rooms are basic but clean and the bed linen is clean to their standards and of the 16 days that we were there the water stopped twice but its a quick trip to reception and it is sorted and if you are quick off the block it dosent take long to work out that when everyone is using the water at the same time then that is what happens.the pool is a good size and the staff clean it twice a day,the food is of a really good standard and although you have to wait a bit of time it is well worth the wait everything is fresh and cooked to order but again a very good standard.as you may be able to tell we were very impressed with the hotel and staff and would recomend it to all and just to let everyone know this was our first time abroad and the first time on a b and b holiday it has always been in the uk and always been self catering so i feel that we are in a position to write this review."

• Travel date: Sat 1st of May 2010

hmmm.

Reviewed Fri 30th of April 2010

"well, just came back from this hotel on monday. its VERY basic! but you get used to it after a while. the staff in the bar are very ignorant but the cleaners are so friendly especially our cleaner, ravvi. go with an open mind! the sheets are clean but do have stains on. this is a proper stain not because it hasnt been washed, the rooms are cleaned everyday but are in desperate need of painting. not all rooms have aircon, but the staff behind the reception will be happy to move you to a diffrent room with a/c or non a/c. the aircon is expensive, but ask your rep to try get the price lower. all the guests were very friendly when we went. everyone spoke to each other. as a woman said as we got there. its like faulty towers... YOULL LOVE IT!+ we got an extra 6 days.. which was a bonus! "

• Travel date: Thu 29th of April 2010

worst hotel ever

Reviewed Tue 27th of April 2010

"we have just returned from our first holiday in goa and stayed at the nizmar resort hotel in calangute. This hotel was clean but basic which i expected in goa. Unfortunately we had an enforced extended stay due to the volcanic eruption. Our tour operator Olympic Holidays made us check out of our hotel on the day we should have, and moved us to the Village Royale Hotel in calangute. What can I say the pool area and bar were ok. The rooms would make a prison cell seem like luxury Our room smelt musty, it was filthy, the bed linen and towels were filthy, there were ants in the bathroom. But the worst thing was the cockroaches and what I think were bed bugs and fleas that we found in our bed. I went to the reception at half past midnight to demand a change of room and was offered a spray for the bed. I insisted on changing rooms and my request was accommodated. This next room also had fleas in the bed and one small creature that we had found in the previous room that i think was a bed bug. Although we did not find any cockroaches in this room. We lay awake all night with the light on and checked out the following morning to return to the hotel where we had spent our two week holiday. I would strongly advise anybody not to go to this hotel.It was also too far out.
When we told the local people who we had met during our first weeks that we had been moved to the village royale they laughed and stated that this hotel has the reputaion of being the worst in calangute."

• Travel date: Mon 26th of April 2010

Hotels near OYO 9411 Resort Calangute

Top traveller tips for OYO 9411 Resort Calangute

• nina.mccabe by nina.mccabe

"Take a trip to southern Goa. It is beautiful and a lot quieter. "

• Jo*Jo by Jo*Jo

"Very Busy.....try the soulth for a slower pace "

• janeandfrank by janeandfrank

"Wonderful place wonderful people! "

• janeandfrank by janeandfrank

"We visited many local restaurants and did not have a bad meal in any. "

• angelah by angelah

"we loved the waterfalls, the spice plantation and loved to go to the beach shacks on baga beach "

• maz_n_jake by maz_n_jake

"10/10 excellent hot weather lovely beaches brilliant night life in town brilliant food "

• maz_n_jake by maz_n_jake

"the hotel food is briliant the capricorn is brilliant ,crocodile dundee trip is a must do "

• tonygreg by tonygreg

"Punjabi Dabi restaurant near the mini roundabout close to Calangute beach was great. "

• julie obrien by julie obrien

"I love the way you can drive past an elephant in the high street! "

• julie obrien by julie obrien

"Without a doubt, A Reverie. The most romantic place i "

• bethjones16 by bethjones16

"Have to bargain to buy everything/try some of the quiet beaches north or south! "

• jadeleanne:) by jadeleanne:)

"very basic but enjoyable "

• mango by mango

"planning to return next year "

• C McDermott by C McDermott

"Relaxing, quiet corner in a chaotic place "

• goa by goa

"make sure you dont tan too much - you will be ignored for the whole of your stay "

• Martin S by Martin S

"relax and enjoy your self "

• Jo W by Jo W

"don, t stay there!!!!! "

OYO 9411 Resort Calangute is also called