OYO Flagship 17197 Hotel Horizon

• kitchenette
  • paid internet
  • babysitting

Good

You get what you pay for

Reviewed Tue 26th of April 2011

"4th trip to Goa so no surprises. First impression of this hotel awful - filthy room, broken furniture and fittings. Very unpleasant.
Moved room next morning and big improvement; complimentary voucher for each of us was welcome and we decided not to change hotels but to give the Horizon another chance.

Unfortunately about a week later we had a swarm of ants in our room ... and I mean a swarm! Covered everything, inside our suitcases, all over our clothes. It was disgusting. Don't know how - we were on the top (4th) floor! To be fair, someone was there within 10 minutes to get rid of them (although it took 2 visits and major insect repellant spraying!).

Rooms are extremely basic, old furniture and fittings. Bed coverings and towels are often stained, but they are clean and changed every other day. There is a wardrobe but no drawers to put clothes in so you have no option but to live out of a suitcase.

Tea/coffee making facilities. Ask at reception for hairdryer, but you'll be lucky to get one if they are busy.

No entertainment to speak of. Nothing at all during day, but this is a small hotel so fair enough and it is very pleasant and quiet, great to chill out. Once a week or so, they have a special evening with entertainment and meal (5 courses + glass of wine for 550 rupees - about £7.50). The food is excellent, too much to eat and the entertainment is a bit iffy, but it's a bargain and well worth it.

The hotel is in the centre of Calungute but off the main road and so fairly quiet. There is a swimming pool, lounge, bar and a pool table (supposed to be a small charge but we never had to pay). Nothing for kids. Our first week, there were no children at all, our 18-year old was the youngest in the hotel and it was lovely and quiet. The 2nd week a few English kids arrived and unfortunately the pool table was quickly out of action (pool cues broken, black ball 'lost', etc). Sadly they ruined it for everyone.

In the lounge, there is a large bookcase full of books. Wish we hadn't taken any with us, because there we plenty of good books to read. Everyone borrowed and then replaced afterwards - worked really well.

Towels are provided round the pool and there were plenty of sun loungers. Never a problem to sit around the pool and we never saw anyone reserving sunbeds with towels!

Staff very helpful and they do go out of their way to help. You only have to ask your houseboy (cleaner) for something and it is done. They are very keen to make sure you are happy. All the staff wish you 'good morning' or 'good evening', it was very pleasant.

There is no getting away from the fact that this is a budget hotel, so don't be disappointed that it's not luxury. We have stayed at better 3 star hotels, but we have also stayed at places where the staff are rude or just don't care! We spoke to people who have stayed at the Horizon numerous times and they love it. I don't think we would return, but to be fair this was by far the cheapest 3* hotel in Goa when we booked it.

You get what you pay for.

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of April 2011

Myself and my partner visited Goa for th...

Reviewed Tue 12th of August 2008

"Myself and my partner visited Goa for the first time in Dec 2006 for xmas. We stayed at the Horizon Hotel in Calangute and could not of asked for better. I have stayed in some fantastic 5 star hotels all over the world and it beats all of them. Ok it's not 5 star but the people are so friendly we were treated excellent and it's very clean and tidy. The people are probably the friendliest people i have met and couldn't do enough for us. Christmas day was fab it was just as nice as being at home. The rooms are very basic but i don't think people should expect alot more as it is a very poor country and i have stayed in alot worse that have been rated as good. At the end of our holiday we gave hotel staff and some of the locals our clothes and shoes and they coudn't have been more grateful. I really did not want to go home and i can say it was the best holiday i have ever had. I am returning again in December 2008 for xmas and new year and i can't wait. Don't be put of by the bad reviews,Goa is an excellent place to visit and so is the hotel. Oh one thing i do agree with one of the reviews about the beds they are so hard but hey we all have to make some sacrifices and if you get a bad back just pop down to the beach to get a massage from one of the locals they will soon sort you out. Best massage i have had."

• Travel date: Tue 12th of August 2008

I everyone...Please understand that both...

Reviewed Sat 28th of June 2008

"I everyone...Please understand that both my wife and I are disabled people I can walk but have the illness of Arthritis and heart murmer. but my wife is wheelchair bound with MS = Multiple Sclerosis, Firstly I must say the travel company Thomas Cook was not what I expected expecially after I paid for travel seats on the plane and when we got to Gatwick no one knew of this arrangement,this was apart from putting us on the wrong plane?? so a damper on the holiday was the start, that I wont go in to but reflect directly on the Horizon Calangute. On arrival at Goa airport we were taken off the plane by 4 airport helpers which in turn insisted on a tip ,I only had notes on me and this was given out as a fiver tipper person to cover all 4 which I was told was to much? anyway off to Calangute in a taxi that had no bearing of MOT as could be seen and the driver insisted on a £10 taxi fare when we got to the Horizon the taxi driver asked for £15 as the air conditioning was used (what a con) anyhow the Hotel staff met us with open arms and the greatest of help to my wife which needed to be carried off the taxi into her wheelchair the staff then took our luggage to our base room by the pool in the hotel this was airconditioned and very welcoming they never asked for a tip but I realised that this was the norm afterwards when I asked the other staff so I give them each a 100 Rupee note about £1.10p well worth it as this was the recognised tip to give, we asked Thomas Cook for a disabled access room for my wife's needs this was not told to the hotel staff on our arrival, so we had to encounter the 4 steps manuelly up to our room level,after 2 days of costant suffering trying to climb these steps I could not keep asking the staff to help with my wife up and down the steps I didn't find it right it was not fair on them, so I wrote a requesting letter to the hotel management to ask if they would build a ramp for me to take my wife up these steps on my own... YOU KNOW WHAT? they made those steps for me on 2 levels and they still helped me to encounter all the steps I had to face The Staff were second to none they are the tops in our books and they made the holiday a possible dream rather than the nightmare we were facing, wereas Thomas Cook failed in every respect THANK YOU HORIZON you made our holiday worth while your 100% in our books we will see you next year...Thank You Sincerely........."

• Travel date: Sat 28th of June 2008

well we arrived on the 1st of april it w...

Reviewed Thu 10th of April 2008

"well we arrived on the 1st of april it wasn't our first time in india so we knew what to expect when we got to the airport. we got to the hotel at about 6 in the morning the reception area looked quite smart and posh we had our luggage carried up to our room as we were on the second floor down the hallway (room number: 214) they showed us into the room and i was expecting to walk into the living area but instead it was straight into the bedroom area there was a small kitchen with a kettle nd tea or coffee facilities and only one spoon no knives or forks so a little bit anooyed there. We started getting unpacked and found that there was only a wardrobe to share between to and the drawers were very stiff and hard to open and as for the bedside table it had a draw and a pull down open cubboard which fell open at the slightest of movements twice i nearly had my foot chopped off and the draw had no hadle so it meant if you were going to use it you had to leave it a too so you could get back into it. We never ate in the hotel because everyday breakfast started at 9.00 and finished at 10.00 so we missed that so we would go to chick and fish a resturant across the calangute main road jus near the hotel we found that the food there was great and great service aswel. Because we were on holiday we like to come in a little later than usual some nights it varied because we were going out and enjoying the night life and one night i had come in before my mother got ready for bed then my mother came in and sent me out to get something so i came out of the hotel then came back in and the security guard said to me no more late nights gate gets locked at 2.00am from now on even though it was supposed to be a 24hr reception well i was furious and who was he to tell me when to come in i was on holiday and he was getting paid to let us in and guard the gate and were paying to stay in that crappy hotel anyway. We only went in the pool once and sat by it once not bad but could ha ve been a little bit warmer though and the staff that worked by the pool and stuff were very friendly although understand alot of english but they said hello and good night so that was enough."

• Travel date: Thu 10th of April 2008

Second stay at this hotel in 5 years onl...

Reviewed Thu 7th of February 2008

"Second stay at this hotel in 5 years only because it is in the heart of the town and reasonably priced as part of a package. Staff very friendly and helpful, hotel clean but very basic with fixtures and fitting sorely in need of updating.

The hotel does have a lift but only in the main block opposite the entrance block which is only served by stairs. Make sure you get a room that overlooks the pool - the other rooms face the back of the hotel and you will be kept up by noise from the adjacent streets and the pack of wild dogs that congregate outside the entrance gates howling through the night.

The hotel pool is rather cold on most days because it is almost entirely in the shade and never heats up. However, one thing that this hotel does score on is the food - local dishes made authentically and cheaper than eating in restaurants.

Overall, this hotel is in a great location for the town centre and is a perfect base from which to explore Goa - with your own fleet of taxis always waiting outside. Offically rated as a 3* - it really is more a 2* but this is typical of the star ratings in India. "

• Travel date: Thu 7th of February 2008

Second visit to this hotel in less than...

Reviewed Thu 18th of October 2007

"Second visit to this hotel in less than a year, first time came with Thomson in January. It’s a beautiful hotel, very basic but spotlessly clean, staff are great and forever smiling.

Pool is very cold though as there’s no sun shining onto it although it does get very hot around the pool.

My only complaint would be the mattresses - I know it’s a poor country but when it would have scored a ten if they could only get better beds. On our return visit it was my boyfriend’s birthday and when the staff found out they left cards, fruit and the local port as a present for him which I though was a lovely gesture. They all remembered us from our last visit and we had the same first class service from all the old familiar faces. Nothing is too much trouble.

We had a problem with the air con that they couldn't fix so before the days was out a brand new unit was fitted in the room - just a shame they wouldn't get me a new bed! But seriously if you want a good clean base in Calangute look no further because you've found it. Steer clear of the Nizmar, even if it has had a refit we met some folk who had a terrible time and couldn't contact a rep for the whole of the holiday. One more thing to add if you can don't fly with MyTravel, if you have no choice upgrade to premier. Nine or ten hours in economy/standard will put you off flying for life.

• Travel date: Thu 18th of October 2007

I have stayed at Hotel Horizon Beach sev...

Reviewed Fri 17th of August 2007

"I have stayed at Hotel Horizon Beach several times now. Anyone that has been to Goa will understand that all the hotels are basic properties but that is all over Goa.

The hotel is very clean the staff are friendly. Goa is a place where everyone remembers you and this hotel is no exception the staff remember your name from one year to the next, it makes you feel welcome, and nothing is too much trouble for them.

The food is ok, obviously there is many fantastic places to eat in North Goa the hotel food is average but who eats at the hotel every evening anyway.

Highly recommended hotel in the centre of Calangute but off the main road easy reach to the shops and a short stroll to the beach. Would definitely choose this hotel again and again."

• Travel date: Fri 17th of August 2007

We had a wonderful holiday, the hotel wa...

Reviewed Fri 12th of January 2007

"We had a wonderful holiday, the hotel was very good.

The staff were outstanding, very very friendly and would do anything they could to help and make your stay a holiday you will not forget.

At first it's a very big culture shock. I didn’t unpack for 3 day's but after that I got accustom to the change and didn’t want to come home.

The local beach can get very crowded but just jump in a taxi which are everywhere and they will take you anywhere.

We had the same driver for the whole three weeks and we all got to be very good friends and are still in touch.

So if you have a driver called Mahesh, tell him Jayne says hello have a great time, we did!"

• Travel date: Fri 12th of January 2007

Hotel was very clean and service was exc...

Reviewed Sat 28th of January 2006

"Hotel was very clean and service was excellent. You could see you face on the floor, it was very highly polish. We got fresh towels and our room cleaned everyday.

The pool was a nice size but didn’t get any sun, so was very quiet.

Goa beaches are lovely, but you tend to get hassle from beggars and sellers. If you ignore them tough they aren’t persistent so I didn’t mind too much.

We saw dolphins metres away from the shore, which was a lovely experience.

At first when you arrive it is a culture shock, but don’t be put off by this the locals are very friendly, and cannot do enough to help you.

Goa has lots of trips so you will never be short of things to do and see. Taxi are very cheap and even wait at your destination for hours so they can take you back to your hotel."

• Travel date: Sat 28th of January 2006

Be Careful

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"Have just come back from Horizon Hotel. Excellent time, and agree the staff, everyone from baggage men to waiters were the nicest people. Two things to be aware of though. Beds are as hard as rock, but you do get used to it. Also, we bought a safe deposit box in the hotel, which is housed in a room off the lobby. On one occasion we left some rupees under a camera and locked it. When we went back next day we could not find the rupees, but we just thought we had spent/put money elsewhere. On the day before going, I left my purse with sterling in the safe, and I know it was there because two of us went through the money. The next day the sterling had gone. I think someone is going along the lines of if they take all the money they will be rumbled, but take bits and you just think you have been forgetful. We did raise it with Manager, who said it was the first time it had ever happened. Personally, I can't see any of the staff doing this, so just watch out and keep a track of your money."

• Travel date: Sat 3rd of December 2005

Extremely friendly & helpful staff!! Great hotel

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"We stayed at the Horizon hotel in the 1st week in November during Diwali. We booked at the last minute through lastminute with the spice route as our tour rep. The hotel has been recently renovated, all very clean and tidy. We can not fault hotel staff for their friendly nature, warm welcome and effeciency at dealing with any problems or questions we had.
Hotel is basic but caters for everything we required. Clean swimming pool, rooms cleaned daily and new towels brought. Food needs to be worked on a liitle. Not a lot of variety at Breakfast and the mini bar in the rooms although very cheap is rather confusing!We were brought a box of 12 Kingfisher beers one day!
Hotel is only 10-15 minutes walk from beach, just off main road of calangute, actually quite quiet considering location. Good nightly pool entertainment.
In all we had an excellent holiday, and definately recommend this friendly hotel to anyone visitng calangute!"

• Travel date: Sat 12th of November 2005

The most friendly staff ever...

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"I have stayed at the Horizon hotel six times now and many have my friends have gone back to this hotel year after year. The rooms are basic as are all in Goa but very very clean. The pool area is spotless. But more important the staff are very very friendly - for those that say different try talking to them as a human instead of a waiter or a room boy they are very very helpfull and very amusing. from the room boys to the receptionist to the bar and waiting staff you cannot fault any of them. Give this hotel a try you wont regret it. If you someone who is reading this that has not been to india before North Goa is more traditional dont expect 5 star hotels they are all of similar standard. You need to stay in a Marriot hotel in south goa if thats what your looking for. If you want basic clean accomodation set in traditional surroundings then North Goa is the place. Have a fantastic time.........................."

• Travel date: Thu 1st of September 2005

Hotels near OYO Flagship 17197 Hotel Horizon

Top traveller tips for OYO Flagship 17197 Hotel Horizon

• Carolred by Carolred

"Ask for pool view. Buy insect repellant in the supermarket and spray your room and suitcases regularly. "

OYO Flagship 17197 Hotel Horizon is also called