About Colonia de Braganza Resorts

• desk
  • complimentary toiletries

Good location.

Reviewed Mon 8th of February 2010

"The best things were the room & location,basically,we were very tired after our trip, there was no welcome & we had to carry our own baggage into the hotel, & upon leaving had to do the same from our 2nd floor room to our taxi.Not a very friendly hotel apart from John in restaurant & David the manager.The pool was not the cleanest,& despite visiting Goa many times, we most certainly would not go back to this one. "

• Travel date: Sat 6th of February 2010

very disappointing

Reviewed Sat 8th of December 2012

"It was like staying in a cell, the 7" bolted lock and padlock which you had to open and close every time you entered the only thing that was missing was the window in the door. It is a tied and dirty hotel. The staff on arriving were friendly and gave the lip service of we hear to make your stay as pleasant as we can. The towels were so old and disgusting that we went out and bought our own. We asked for an extra pillow only to be told that tough the hotel is full and we do not have any. I didn't think it was possible to make a room look dirtier after it had been cleaned. Generally very poor customer services. It was that horrible that we even tried to find alternative accommodation, but it was a busy time in calangute with no vacancies."

• Travel date: Sun 25th of February 2007

Wonderful Hotel

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"We had a great time here,the staff were great, and the manager was a very nice guy.
The rooms are basic but very clean, linen changed every other day.
Entertainment was okay Donald and Gracie were very good.
We will be going back."

• Travel date: Tue 6th of February 2007

A pleasant surprise

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"I was not very happy with our travel agent when they switched our booking to this hotel. I read the reviews and was a bit worried about it as it was our first trip to India. People going on about open sewers and poor service.

Nonsense! Yeah the street is a bit of a mess outside but you're in India for goodness sake! The whole country is like that! We were in some of the nicest suburbs in Delhi and Mumbai during our trip as well as diplomatic enclaves and there are still people sleeping rough at the end of the driveways. If you can't handle a bit of mess and aren't prepared to see people living in pretty hellish conditions visit a western country instead!

The new wing of the hotel is clean and modern. The rooms are comfy and have fans. The two ladies at the front desk are absolutely brilliant and really bent over backwards to help us out with all our requests.

The place is pretty package touristy with the most hilariously crap evening entertainment!! Some of the staff seemed a bit dozy but I think that was more down to a language barrier than anything. Most of them were dead friendly and we were able to have some decent banter with them. I didn't feel like I was being scammed or pressed for tips every step of the way like the hotel we stayed in Mumbai.

I wouldn't neccesarily stay here again but that is nothing to do with the quality of the hotel I would just prefer a beach hut in a quieter area.

• Travel date: Tue 9th of January 2007

Not very nice

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"This hotel leaves a lot to be desired. We were robbed of our cash (400 sterling and 400 travellers cheques) from our room on our first day. Apparently it was known that we had not purchased a safe deposit box but this was due to late arrival and we were robbed at breakfast before we had time to organise ourselves. David, the manager made all the right noises but nothing was really done to help us. Jewel in the crown reps were useless and could only shrug their shoulders and we were trully left high and dry. However the magic credit card saved the day. Travellers cheques were reimbursed on arrival back to UK but the cash, alas........... The hotel pool was sparkling on arrival but after a few days was murky and unpleasant looking and certinaly not inviting but amazingly seemed to be cleaned and much cleaner the following week when new arrivals were due!. The breakfast was bland unless something was purchased from the menu and window locks were missing from rooms. The room boys were great and rooms were generaly clean and tidy. The barman, Nesh, was a great help and advisor (perhaps he should be the manager) and he pointed us in the right direction when we were in trouble and saved us a lot of unnecassary problems (unlike the lazy reps/manager). David (the manager) was advised by a visitor that he was being pestered by thse cats that roamed the hotel and we actually saw staff put a kitten into a pillow case, take it to the side of the hotel and batter it against a wall untill it was dead. Maybe this is the norm in India but it certainly upset my wife and again a complaint about this behaviour to the rep which was met with shoulder shrugging. We left our questionair (as supplied by Jewel in the Crown) but I bet it never reached the powers that be...... maybe a few rupees from the hotel managment saw to that! I know this is quite a bad write up but be assured that we would never stay here again if we were paid. I am prepared to substanciate this claim"

• Travel date: Thu 21st of September 2006

poorest service and 'i just dont care about u' attitude from the staff

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"hi,
I just returned from a 6 day trip to goa with my family. I just loved goa. we stayed at the braganza resorts in calangute goa. It was holiday season.We did not have reservation before hand, so we had to ask the taxi fellow to take us whereever he thought best and he brought us to this resort. since it was near to the beach we booked a room in it. Then the nightmare started.
while booking the room a complimentary breakfast was promised by the receptionist. when we went down to the hotel for breakfast the waiter near the break fast table stopped us and said that complimentary breakfast was not our previlage. It was like a insult to us in front of so many people. we had a fight with him and asked to see the manager. it was told that the manager was not available. then we went to the reception to talk to the receptionist who had made the commitment. we found out that she was due to come in another hour or so. ultimately we had to go out of the hotel for breakfast. that dident matter much but the insult the waiter made of us in front so many people made my blood boil. after returning from breakfast we found the receptionist at the reception.
i took up the matter with her. there were another couple over there who had come to complaint. i found out that the hot water geysor in their room was not working. they had made the complaint 2 days before and no body had cometo check it out. they too asked for the manager and received the same reply as i received. then i found out that the recptionist had not informed the restaurant manager about free complmentary breakfast for us.
when ever we use to give order for room service it use to take more than hour for the food to come. after finishing dinner we had to practically beg them to take away the plates. the one time when we ordered from room service the dirty plates were there in the room till the next day. from then onwards we never ordered from room service. we use to order from a restaurant oppsite the hotel. as if that was not the restaurant manager had the nerve to ask us why we are not ordering from the restaurant.
on the fourth day the geysor broke down and there was no hot water.on that very day we complainted to the reception at least four times on the phone. on the fifth day morning we had a cold water bath and went down tothe reception to complain only to get a feeble response from them that we will check in to it. we knew that it was no use and they just dont care and we stopped complaining eventually.
one thing i noticed the staff was paying more attention to the foreigners who were staying at the hotel and were after "big tips".
my advise is if you are an indian DO NOT go to this hotel. worst service provided by the hotel spoilt my vacation.
the only good thing about the hotel is that they have a nice swiming pool."

• Travel date: Sun 16th of April 2006

Avoid blocks S&T

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"Although we have been all over South East Asia this was our first time in India, so we thought we knew what to expect.
On arrival our first impression was good, located down a side road, only a few hundred yard from all the shops and restuarants (although side road was filthy).
We were given a room in block 'S'on the top floor, (No lifts) When we entered the room our mouths dropped open. In it was a dirty old settee and a fridge. We then went into the bedroom, there was a wooden box for a wardrobe, two single beds, which when you sat on them gave out a loud squeek, I lifted up the 1" rubber matress and saw that we were sleeping on a wooden board.
I then went into the bathroom, turned on a tap, no water, tried the shower, no water.
I then looked out on the balcony at what I can only describe as a slum, it was a disgrace. There was rubbish burning and the smoke was filling the room as soon as we opened the balcony doors.
I then asked to be moved to another room, but was told that we would have to stay here for a week before they would do anything.
At the Reps meeting I spoke to Jayne who after seeing the state of our room promised to do something about it, but we would have to stay in there for the first night.
That night when we got in bed we put the ceiling fan on, the bearings must have been gone, as we had a loud screeching from it all night. Couldn't sleep with it on, couldn't sleep with it off as it was too hot.
The next morning we were moved to block 'B'. What a differance. A clean room with a lounge, a kitchen area and a nice bedroom, we were even given an extra matress to make the bed nice and soft. Two balcony's overlooking the swimming pool.
The room service was excellent, clean bedsheets and towels every day.
I cannot fault this room.
All I can say is, if they try to give you a key to any room in block 'S' or 'T' refuse it, don't even go for a look. One of the guests who was put into block 'T' told us that they had a toilet in their room, I thought they meant ensuite, but no, there was a toilet in the corner of their room with nothing around it. What a disgrace.
What I can say is that if you have any problems, speak to Jayne."

• Travel date: Sat 25th of March 2006

Appalling place - potentially lethal

Reviewed Fri 2nd of November 2012

"If you like staying at a place with a disgusting open sewer on the entrance road, where you can watch the giant rats scurrying around the gardens, surrounded by the stench of burning plastic and rubbish every evening, then this is the place for you. Its a noisy, filthy, stinking hole. Watching new arrivals demanding to be moved (we saw a near mutiny by one large group)is really entertaning - by far the best thing about staying here. Some sheets and towels are changed every day - with other stained, ripped ones. There are no fire escapes, alarms or means of putting out fires - this place is potentially lethal."

• Travel date: Sun 12th of March 2006

Definately room for improvement

Reviewed Fri 2nd of November 2012

"We stayed here last Jan/Feb.We had a shock when the taxi drove us into the heart of calangute as we had only ever stayed in Candolim before.The room we were given was in the old part of the hotel and it was just so awful.Really dark and depressing.I wouldnt even open my suitcase.We went to see david the manager who promised us a room change as soon as possible.We waited 3 days but eventually we were relocated to the more modern wing and it was fine.The breakfast isnt much but there is a lovely place called The Chippy (would you believe)just across the main road and the breakfasts were so lovely.
The pool area of the Braganza could be a lot better as there are so few beds.
I would stay here again but would insist on the newer part of the Hotel"

• Travel date: Fri 30th of December 2005

Great Location

Reviewed Wed 10th of October 2012

"We booked Xmas and New Year 2004/05 just 3 weeks in advance so choice was limited. Having been to Goa before we knew what to expect. The Braganza is very much a 2 star hotel but as it is just a 2 minute walk to the main road of Calangute the location was ideal for us. We previously stayed at the Nizmar which, although a better hotel, was a bit of a trek to anywhere.

The room was basic but clean with limited wardrobe space but it did have a separate lounge area and a fridge. We did have one cockroach which came from the sink but we bought some bleach and kept pouring it down the plughole which sorted it out. We had to request a couple of plastic chairs so we could sit on the balcony and these were provided with no problem. Yes, it's a little noisy in the mornings but you can always catch up on lost sleep at the beach. The hotel is just a 10 minute walk to the beach steps.

We don't tend to take breakfast at the hotels when we are on holiday as we don't get up in time. We did feel that the bar area lacked atmosphere and tended to eat and drink outside the hotel. Because we arrived on Christmas Eve, we did attend the 'gala' dinners on both Christmas night and New Year's Eve. The food would have been good if they had stuck to Indian food but they tried to do roast turkey which they hacked to pieces with a knife that wasn't sharp enough and also served suckling pig which didn't look at all appetising. The rice and vindaloo was good.

No problems with the safe deposit box but we provided our own combination lock which we also use for our suitcases. I would also recommend Mac the tailor who has a shop at this hotel. They are no more expensive that the tailors that churn out clothing within 24 hours but Mac takes more time and more fittings and you end up with a superior product.

All in all a good holiday, we would stay here again because of the location and the spaciousness of the accommodation."

• Travel date: Sun 20th of November 2005

Lovely rooms - dirty crockery!

Reviewed Sat 8th of December 2012

"We stayed this hotel in January 2005 and there are a few things I would like to mention. The first hotel room we were offered was hideous. It seemed to be a room that was a 'back up' room rather than one that they'd put anyone in. The window was broken and the walls were badly scuffed and there was a general dirty feel to the whole room. We asked, straight away, to be moved and the manager came to look at the room and agreed that we shouldn't have been put in there. They moved us the very next day and the room we were given was lovely. It was clean, spacious and just really nice. They even re-arranged the furniture for us to accommodate a TV!

However, although the room was fine the only thing I would say is that this hotel, even though on a side road, the noise was quite bad. We were woken up every morning by hotel staff chattering outside loudly and general kitchen noise. It seems constant. We could also hear the traffic on the road (whereas the hotel Alor was very quiet and peaceful).

Also, we went to breakfast one morning and the crockery and cutlery was quite dirty. We didn't have breakfast again as we were quite disgusted with the state of the cups!

Lastly, there was a slight mix up with the safe that we used here. They charged us for the use of the lock (as well as the safe) but neglected to tell us this until we settled our bill the night before leaving. It was a bit of a drama and in the end the manager waived the fee but only because we complained. It was a minimal fee but we were upset that we were not told the price when we asked about the fee at the beginning of the holiday.

The staff here are very friendly and nice enough but I would think twice about staying here because of the noise aspect. It might have been that we were in a bad position in the hotel and perhaps if we asked to move rooms it would have been better."

• Travel date: Mon 8th of August 2005

Hotels near Colonia de Braganza Resorts

Top traveller tips for Colonia de Braganza Resorts

• First impressions count. by First impressions count.

"Yes Calangute. No to Hotel. "

Colonia de Braganza Resorts is also called