Great Hotel for Great Prices - You get what you pay for in Goa

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"We stayed at the Cituru Hotel from 2nd April 10 for eight nights. We had originally booked a private apartment and when we arrived it was not as shown in the photos. The apartment cost half the price of the hotel and I now see why. The Citrus Hotel cost us around £300 for the eight nights including breakfast. We upgraded to the new rooms for a small supplement but was able to barter the receptionist down to this price. The new rooms are worth paying the extra for. They were clean, bright and modern. The rooms were cleaned daily with fresh towels and bedding.
We looked initially at the standard rooms but they were very basic and not very modern. So for the small extra cost it is definatley worth paying extra for a better experience.
The pool area wasnt very busy, perhaps due to the season coming to an end there. I think Jan/Feb is the busiest time there. But each day we never had a problem getting a sunbed once we returned from the beach.
We had breakfast some mornings, which had a good selection and the waiter service was always welcoming and helpful. We also tried lunch there which was nice for a change with fresh paninis and sandwiches.
The location is good, although we didnt eat in Calangute as the restaurants didnt seem as nice there, nor the bars. We ate mainly near Candolim, but this was literally a 70p taxi ride away, same as Baga. No more than 100Rps.
We had a very reliable driver for the week we was there. His name was Avesh...nickname Sonny. He never tried to give us prices over the odds and was always on time and did not continuosly try to sell us trips like other taxis did. He can be contacted on [--], so would be ideal for arranging collection from the airport with as you know you get a good price as other people had paid way over the odds getting a taxi directly from the airport.
We visited Palolem for the day and see the dolphins in the sea, which was a worth while experience. It was a 2 hour drive away and the driver waited until 6pm all for the cost of 1500Rps. Which was a bargain.
Definatley a good hotel to stay in, we would never go to a private apartment again and was thankful we found The Citrus Hotel.
If you want great restaurants try the following, all had great ambiance, setting and food:
La Reviere
I95
La Restaurant
La Jardin
Fiesta
La Plage - Ashwam Beach - Posh Beach Shack for dinner at Sunset"

• Travel date: Sun 18th of April 2010

Lovely, clean hotel - would recommend

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"We stayed in a standard room which was quite basic but spacious with a bedroom plus a seperate seating area with television and fridge. There were nice little extra touches such as slippers, a free newspaper every day, free bottled water every day and a complimentary bag of toiletries. The grounds were kept immaculate and the pool was clean. For breakfast there was a reasonable choice and the chef would cook your eggs how you wanted. Coffee at breakfast was always served with a smile by the lovely Subir. If we go back we would probably prefer to stay in Baga as this had nicer bars and the beach was less crowded. . I would recommend the trips to the Waterfalls and the Elephant ride and shower -we did both trips in one day after hiring a taxi driver for the day. This worked out a lot cheaper than the organised tours through the hotel. On the whole we had a lovely stay; the people are so friendly and we had plenty to do. We will definately be returning."

• Travel date: Fri 26th of March 2010

Cool Hotel

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"This hotel was recommended by a friend and I thank him everytime i see him, because it was really worth the stay! We all loved it!"

• Travel date: Wed 24th of March 2010

A hospitable, well-run, comfortable hotel in the heart of Calangute.

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"I was bumped here from another hotel (that's another story!) so when I checked in I was a bit hesitant and cautious. My first impression as I walked in to reception was positive. The place was up to my expectations: spiffy, well-kept, nice-looking reception, pool and garden areas. Manager Erroll DeSouza showed me a room in the newer section and it was just what I needed. The room was large, well-appointed and bright, with AC and LCD TV. The mini-bar was stocked. In many hotels around the world the mini-bar prices are outrageous, however here I was glad to use the mini-bar as the prices were almost the same as any restaurant, and in some cases less. So go ahead and USE it. Its a great convenience.

The bathroom was zen-like, with soft lighting, rain-shower-head, robe, slippers and a stocked toiletry bag. There is a room safe which you can program your own code. I had laundry done, which was a bit pricey, but worth it to me as I had a LOT done. My clothes were returned clean and pressed. I used the internet as my iPod was not responding well, however the connection seemed slow that day.

Housekeeping was excellent every day (you can ask that they not make up your room when you so desire). I did not use room service, but breakfast was included so I strolled over to the courtyard restaurant every morning with the newspaper that was slid under my door. Omelletes are made to order and there was a variety of breads, jams, indian and continental snacks, fruits, yogurt, juices, etc. Waiters come by and replenish your tea or coffee. A fine spread to start the day.

This is a charming and comfortable hotel. I had quiet, restful sleeps here. Its right in the heart of Calangute, near all the shops, restaurants and the beach. A 10 to 15 minute walk will get you to Baga Beach where the nightlife thumps, or you can take a short cab ride. My friend and I took a local bus into Panjim, which had lots of old colonial architecture and is a great way to spend the day soaking in the vibe and taking photos.

The manager of this hotel went out of his way to make my stay enjoyable and personal. The staff, from doormen to reception, bellboys to gardeners, all greet you as you come across them. I highly recommend this hotel for a warm and hospitable stay in Calangute, Goa.."

• Travel date: Mon 22nd of February 2010

Sweet hotel for vacation time

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"My wife and I, we stayed at this hotel in January 2010. We arrived to Dabolim airport and were looking for a taxi and hotel (we didn't make any reservation since, in our opinion, it is better to look for a hotel when we are at the place, so you can see what you get :-). We wanted to go to Calangute, which is located about 43 km from the airport. There is taxi office at arrivals and taxi to Calangute cost 900 Rupees (non AC) or 1200 Rupees (with Air Conditioning). But it is better to go upstairs, on the departure level, where you can find AC taxi for about 600 Rupees, without any problem (of course you have to bargain, as everywhere in India :-).

The taxi driver (that we found on departures level) recommended us Citrus Hotel. We were not sure if it was good solution since in India you can be easily cheated by taxi driver who wants money from the hotel, when he brings some tourists. But this time, the taxi driver didn't even go with us to the reception.

Citrus Hotel is located in Calangute center, about 500m from the beach (no more than 10 minutes walk). There are shops and restaurants around, so you don't have to eat at the hotel only. There is small swimming pool in the hotel, if you don't want to go to the beach.

Citrus Hotel has 2 types of rooms: Standard or Premium. Standard room is nothing special (room, bathroom, Air-Conditioning, terrace). Premium room (which are in separate build) is much better. Everything is new, including furnitures and LCD tv-set. The good thing is that you can bargain about the price at the reception - the price depends on the lenght of your stay. The longer stay, the price is smaller. We chose Premium room. We paid 3000 Rupees/double room with breakfast /day (originally the price was 4000 Rs/day), for one week stay.

The people working there are very nice and helpful. They have very nice breakfast area, where they serve different types of food, especially Indian ones. The reception staff speak good english, and they are willing to help."

• Travel date: Sun 21st of February 2010

Best holiday I have ever had!!! Thank you Silla Goa (Citrus Hotel).

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"My husband and I travelled to Goa for the first time in January 2010. We stayed at the Silla Goa (Citurus Hotel - Goa) and had the most amazing time. The hotel was excellent and the staff where second to none. We stayed in a basic but clean room that had a ceiling fan as well as air conditioning. We had a fridge that was usefull for chilling your own drinks as well as the use of a mini bar. The rooms where cleaned everyday with the staff always leaving the towels in shapes of animals as an added touch. The breakfast we a variety of things and the staff always gave my husband and I boiled eggs and crispy bacon if we asked. I would reccomend this hotel to anyone and the location was good for everything.
We have made some great friends at the Silla Goa (Citrus Hotel) and we will definatly be back for Christmas 2010!"

• Travel date: Sun 17th of January 2010

We stayed in the Silla goa in late Feb f...

Reviewed Thu 20th of March 2008

"We stayed in the Silla goa in late Feb for two weeks. It does what it says on the tin, its basic but the sheets and towels are changed every day and the staff are excellent. The hotel is in an excellent position and about a 15 minute walk to the beach, although it is a bit of a culture shock to start with. Rama the waiter was one of the friendliest peaple we had ever met and looked after us every morning at breakfast. the security was good as well and our favourite guard was Dhansing (what a lovely man).
We used the goan waves beach shack on Calangute beach. You can have two sun beds,towels,eat and drink all day for about £12 for two. Good restaurants to try , All Spice (Indian food) is about £2 return in a cab, and the very best is AFTER 7 in Candolim (indian and European), this was reccommended to us by a friend in the UK, one of the best meals i have ever had and all for £10 a head.
We went to many beautiful quite beaches, just hire a cab for the day (about £10) and the driver will know the best.
All in all a fantastic holiday, we are going back next year."

• Travel date: Thu 20th of March 2008

" Beautiful Place"

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"I have been to Goa on my honeymoon trip. Just a week ago me & my wife Maria visited “Silla Goa Resort”. It was my dream comes true. My friend Savio D’cruz recommended this place for my honeymoon. It’s totally a different experience when we visited Goa.

On reaching ”Silla Goa Resort” the welcome we got & the atmosphere we felt was totally different. The resort was great the service excellent & what was liked most was that we felt at home. The food was delicious & mouthwatering.

The site seeing was well planned by those in charge . Nice beaches, churches, temples. The rooms are well planned & have all the facilities one can think of. Service is the best & one can ask for no more. Now that I know everything about Silla Goa Resort & all that it has to offer, it is surely going to be my place of stay whenever I visit Goa.

I wish all those who belong to the Silla Goa Family the very best & I can assure all who have not been here that you will never be sorry if you pick Silla Goa Resorts as your place of stay.

”Silla Goa Resort” is situated in the heart of the Happening Place of Goa CALANGUTE.
I would like to Thank Silla Goa Resort for the Hospitality they imparted to us.

Big Thanks to Silla Goa Staff.!!!!

From Michel & Maria"

• Travel date: Sun 23rd of December 2007

Beautiful place

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"When we arrived at Silla Goa Resort we were pleasantly supprised and everything was as we expected. We came to this hotel on recomendation and would certainly reccomend others as well.

We went with our 2 year old daughter everywhere was safe and very clean n hygenic. The food was really nice although I must say if your not fond of spicey food you may find it hard for choice as most is spicey although again the staff were more than happy to cook you something else. drinks all night and the seafood is excellent and fresh, the tiger prawns dish, a fevorate Goan dish I enjoyed most.

The hotel room is nice ,clean and tidy with a fridge, hair dryer, tv with a indian, british speaking chanels, and the laundry service is very cheap.

Within the grounds of the hotel you can make your way to the beach which as a lot of beach shacks on which again are so cheap all they expect is that you buy a few drinks from them and you get to use there beds all day with no hasle some beach sellers but not many, the waves are fantastic.

The hotel is brilliant overall and close to all the amenties I can't see you not enjoying it here, but I also think a holiday is what you make it! So prepare when you go out of the hotel the locals wants you in there shops and will ask you nearly every time you pass, as long as your polite to them they will be the same back."

• Travel date: Mon 17th of December 2007

A wonderful stay

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"I've just returned from a two week stay at the Silla Goa and I have to say it was a wonderful experience! My Husband and I both thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I was a little worried about what I read here before I left, but I have to say I experienced nothing like it! The rooms, sheets & towels were always clean and the staff were so friendly and always smiling!

I must say though, we did catch one of the security guards napping in front of the gates when we came back one night, but a loud cough from my husband had the poor man jumping to attention! A hilarious memory I'll enjoy telling for years!

I asked around a little when I was there, just to see if anyone else had any bad experiences (and if I was just getting lucky!) but everyone had nothing but praise for the hotel.

So now that I've returned, I felt I had to post something here to right these terrible wrongs that have been said about the Silla Goa. I know the way it is, a thousand happy people go home peacefully, but the one unhappy person wants to pick a place to pieces!

So I recommend you to not do what I did and read too much into it, but to go there to see for yourself! If you do, i'm sure, like me, you'll join the ranks of the happy majority!

Then come here and tell everybody about it!"

• Travel date: Fri 7th of December 2007

a finnish point of view

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"i had seen the photos on the web of this hotel . So be carefull when you read those webpages, photos are not the real thing. we reached there at night and got the first room -which had childrens scriblings on the wall and the bedsheets were not clean, so we requested to see another room, at least the walls were ok and the bedsheets were not so good, the bedcover was so dirty, but luckily my wife always carry her own bedsheets,towels,thin blanket, pillow. So we decided to forget the big hole in the first sitting room on the floor where two tiles on the floor was broken. the bed had some ticks or bugs which would bite you too. the next morning when we were trying to go out we found that the door was not locking, i came down and told the room service, they showed me how to pull the door shut by action, i am not an idiot but still went up and tried, then i really got angry and said come up and shut it to those guys, then they realised the lock is spoiled and they said no need to worry "here nothing gets lost" i did not believe them thank god!! and demanded it be repaired, which after a while they started doing.....whew. we always carried our money and valuable things with us, their locker was so small that here you cannot put anything other than the passport and money. Be carefull when you go to swim, especially if you are a western woman, the hotel staff is cool, but in india some ongling will be there.They do not change towels unless you demand it, you are allowed one pair for your visit. the front office guys are ok, the security guards are nice.

A special mention about the nepal guard - at the gate, a smile always and and the front desk was helpfull to us."

• Travel date: Fri 14th of September 2007

Lackluster at best - an American Point of View...

Reviewed Sat 13th of October 2012

"My girlfriend and I stayed at Silla Goa for 3 days in the off season (June 1st - 3rd, 2007). If you don't care about service and cleanliness (especially when you need it most) this is the place for you...

We had already been in India for 10 days prior to coming to Goa so we were already sensitized to the generally lower standards of cleanliness, service (or over-servicing in some cases), and electricity continutity. Relative to comparable hotels in India we rate the Silla Goa as below average on both service and cleanliness and thank God we were only there for 3 days.

Instead of going into a long rant on the hotel (and the incompetent front office staff) I'll describe the highlight of our stay which I like to entitle, "Pissy Sheets." Hotel services (restaurant and front desk) close at 11pm. On our first night we didn't go to bed until 12:30am and found that our sheets smelled like urine (and it wasn't me). With the only other choice of sleeping on the tile floor we slept on the pissy sheets. Upon waking up not only did the whole room smell like piss, but the clothes we slept in did and we did as well. When we brought this to the attention of management they initially denied responsibility and wouldn't even smell the sheets (which i brought to the office). We argued for 1/2 hour and they finally agreed to wash our pissy clothes, this is of course after they offered to tell us where we could wash our own clothes in town.

They changed our room and after smelling the sheets in the new room we asked them to change those sheets as well (which they did after 10 hours and multiple requests) because they smelled like mildew.

Their restaurant is their redeeming quality. They have good food at affordable prices. I like spicy food and my girlfriend cannot have spicy food. They were good at catering to both our tastes.

Overall, if I had read the reviews previously posted I would have not believed them, but after experiencing the relatively poor service and cleanliness of this hotel, first hand, I believe every word."

• Travel date: Mon 4th of June 2007

Hotels near Kyriad Hotel Goa (formerly Citrus Goa)

Kyriad Hotel Goa (formerly Citrus Goa) is also called