About Alagoa Resort

• kitchenette

Good

dont stay in the old wing!

Reviewed Mon 2nd of November 2009

"We were very disappointed with our room - we were in the old wing and the management refused to move us despite our booking clearly stating we should be in a room with a balcony - we were in a small dark room with no balcony overlooking a rubbish tip - they did move us within the old wing to a room with an "internal balcony" - this was actually a bay window and not a balcony! We spent a week of our holiday staying elsewhere as the room was too dismal. The new block looked very nice from the outside! We did try to get compensation from Manos but no luck there.

Additionally the waiters overcharged us at Alagoa - be very careful to check your bill - it took us a couple of days to realise this was happening. The management was very apologetic and did address this with the staff.

Otherwise we liked the location of the hotel and the beach. It was what we were looking for in terms of peace and quiet, a short walk from the beach and swimming in the sea."

• Travel date: Sun 1st of November 2009

Cheap but good

Reviewed Wed 25th of March 2009

"We booked this holiday knowing it was a no * guest house. I think we were a little shocked when we got there, but you do get what you pay for. If you want a base to sleep and don't intend to be in your room hours on end then this place is fine. The room was basic, floor abit dusty with the odd ghecko or insect visiting but sound enough. The shower room worked but was not sparkling. The breakfast's consisted of an omlette and juice/ coffee. Nothing outstanding but enough to set you up for the morning ahead.

The garden in front of the guest house was lovely and well tended to. The paddy fields behind the guest house gave the feeling of being in a palmy retreat. The staff were pleasant although we did not see much of them. We did not spend much time there. The local village is nice and the beach is lovely. It is easy to get a taxi to local restuarants or towns. The bar was not open very late at night and you felt as though they wanted close as soon as they could. So it's probably best to not plan on having much of a night cap back at the bar.

If you want to pay a small price and live it up around the south of Goa then this place is fine but if you want to relax by the pool or retreat to a cool hotel room of an afternoon then this is not the one for you. We did have one of our best holidays here even though it is the most basic hotel we have ever stayed!"

• Travel date: Wed 25th of March 2009

Ignore him

Reviewed Mon 16th of March 2009

"Don't know why the bloke in the other review had such a bad time. This place is fantastic as long as you're not one of the holiday moaning brigade.
Yes it's basic, but that's its attraction. The staff are really friendly and luckily, people like the guy in the other review don't like it and consequently it is really laid back and in an ideal position to avoid the more touristy Goan experiences if you want to.
We're going back there tomorrow (12/3/09) for about the 5th time, so it can't be too gruelling can it?"

• Travel date: Wed 11th of March 2009

My friends and I have used this hotel si...

Reviewed Sat 6th of September 2008

"My friends and I have used this hotel since before the new part was built and we love
it but you have to remember it is a cheap and basic place. The rooms in the old part
are clean and basic and most now have a/c, all have fans and t/v. We only stay in old part. The rooms in the new part all have a/c, fans, t/v phone,and balcony's. The food
is good and drinks are cheep and the staff are fantastic as is the view from the hotel.
the beech is a short walk away and is something to remember. there are a number of
restaurants a short taxi ride away and well worth visiting.
I will alway's go back to the Alagoa Hotel"

• Travel date: Sat 6th of September 2008

my 3rd time in Goa, candolim twice this...

Reviewed Wed 2nd of July 2008

"my 3rd time in Goa, candolim twice this time betalbatim which i found to be so much better that candolim as it is so peaceful.
Unlike candolim we had no beach sellers or beggars an the sea was so calm I was able to swim all day everyday.
The alagoa is a basic hotel but it was clean and I did not find it necessary to have the air con on during the night, it is also situated it a perfect spot, I spent at least half hour each morining watching the wildlife on and around the lotus lake, take binoculars its a must. The staff are really nice at the hotel and nothing is to much trouble. Unlike the previous review on this site We ate at the hotel and didnt find anything odd, we didnt have to ask for more butter at breakfast and the service was good but probably unlike the other review i got what i paid for, a 2* basic as stated in the brochure hotel.
I enjoyed the Alagoa so much when I returned home I booked for 3 weeks next year, ahh perfect I hope it doesnt change. "

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of July 2008

I would not recommend this hotel to anyb...

Reviewed Wed 5th of March 2008

"I would not recommend this hotel to anybody for the following very bad experience.

First of all did not get what we had paid for - no A/C instead got tiny several insects crawling on the bed.
Was put in the old wing instead of the new wing which was advertised on their website with the balcony facing the lake which was not visible as the lake was covered with litter!!
After raising our concerns with the management and the local agency we were moved to the new wing the next day but after breakfast the manager wanted to shift us back to the old wing. Therefore three rooms in two days!

the free breakfast was only two slices of toast and a cup of tea/coffee anything extra had to pay for. Again the dining room was covered with flies and the table linen was so dirty could not even put my hand on it.

I had to move out on the following day and had to pay for the A/C which we did not use.

Was even told by the manager that he is not running a charity.

And we are still in dispute with compensation which every reply takes up to 28 days.

Since our complain A -La Goa Resort has changed their website twice which says it all.

• Travel date: Wed 5th of March 2008

Anyone considering this accommodation sh...

Reviewed Tue 10th of April 2007

"Anyone considering this accommodation should think again. The old rooms are a throwback to backpacker’s digs with padlocks on the doors.

Our room overlooked the reception area but this consisted of a view of a tiled roof.

As the breeze drops during the night, these rooms quickly become stiflingly hot and so either repeated showers are necessary or the additional cost for the air conditioning unit to be turned on. This costs 500 rupees per day and I heartily recommend it, if you need to sleep at night.

Our second night was a lot more fun as we had to share the room with a swarm of ants. Although they sprayed the room excessively, no trace was found as to where the ants came from, so we asked to be moved into one of the new rooms.

This would normally be at an additional cost of 1000 rupees per night but as we had already paid for the a/c, they agreed to move us at no charge.

Food at the Alagoa is bizarre to so the least as the catering is no more than a token gesture. They offer a range of dishes but are at no means delivered in order i.e. starter/main course/dessert and more than one person can stop everyone from eating together.

However it is cheap. Eggs are the smallest chicken eggs that money can buy and you will need to ask for additional butter as this has been restricted.

The staff there are very pleasant but are constantly being scrutinised by the owner, if he is there.

The location of the Alagoa is nice within the paddy fields and coconut palms just 10 minutes from the beach and if they spent some money on the property, it could be a little treasure trove, however this is unlikely.

In summary, if you do not intend to eat there and only require a basic accommodation, it is ideal however if you like to enjoy your holiday, book somewhere else and there are far better deals available."

• Travel date: Tue 10th of April 2007

We really liked Alagoa. It is in a quie...

Reviewed Mon 6th of March 2006

"We really liked Alagoa. It is in a quiet area of Goa with not a lot of tourists. Beach is superb - not many people on it, not too many people trying to sell you stuff/asking for money.

Guest house has two main parts - the new and the old section. We stayed in the new part - rooms with aircon, fridge, TV, ensuite and balcony. Rooms overlook paddy field or lotus lake.

Hotel staff very friendly and helpful - hotel was really clean, room cleaned with fresh sheets and towels every day.

We didn’t eat in the restaurant but chose to eat at a beach shack called The Baggies which is the first place you come to on the beach - food was delicious, lovely seafood, all food washed and cooked in bottled water so no deli belly!

Relaxed part of Goa, close to Colva where there are few tourist shops to buy presents.

• Travel date: Mon 6th of March 2006