4 Traveller reviews from Holiday Watchdog
Trust but verify
"Goa Capt Loboâs Beach Resort â reservation from 2nd to 6th August â09
Resort booked through internet, travelguru.com
1. Pre confirmation of room by the hotel staff. Name Ria Pinto.. Discourteous, slow and full of excuses.
2. Pre visit confirmation signed by management of Resort, Michelle Lobo. She is away to the US, holidaying with her husband and have no clue of what is happening at her property.
3. The property is being managed by caretakers
4. Room allotted,112, was not checked. Hot water not available in the toilet.
5. Location shifted to another room - 114; the alternate room has not been cleaned and dusted for weeks, as we seem to be the first guest after months. Dead cockroach, ants and huge amounts of dirt extracted. Staff called in again to dust the room and the good wife gave a hand to remake the beds with clean sheets
6. Toilet has hot water, but water does nor clear after bath, flooding the bathroom. Not cleared/cleaned for two days of stay
7. No curtains to block light from outside; the property is lit up at night and the lights are flooding in; solution â newspapers stuck to doors/windows with cellotape
8. Rooms not cleaned/made evey day; the same is being done after we have returned to the resort, late evening at 8 pm. Receptionist is busy swimming in the hotel pool, with the television on; so, I help myself to the room keys to discover the nightmare of an unprepared room. The previous evening, same story â no one at counter, so I take the keys myself
9. Cable television in the room not working. No attempt at repairs inspite of it working fine at the reception area
10. No spare glasses or cups available as the attendant states that keys to the pantry are not available. Inspite of advertising for presence of microwave in the pantry, there is none
11. Electrical plug point not working in room; so, notebook computer, fridge and electric kettle share the same source of power, depending what is the priority; and this plug is not in the pantry!
12. Property is in shabby state with canvas and covers all over the place. Outside the room, electrical wires are in exposed state in the passage. Not to mention dead plants in the planter just outside
13. As a usual practice, I love cats. But not when they enter the room, resulting in a couple of minutes chase, where I was mostly the loser
14. A part of the resort has been sold off, which cottage belongs to which owner is difficult to distinguish, as the compound is shared
Iâm amazed that the tourism authorities in Goa have allowed such seedy properties to exist. Sadly, the Calangute Baga road sees every house converted into a hotel. We are also amazed at the management who are complacent to pass of such a property as a holiday resort. Why donât you shut down the property during the rains (in our opinion, the best time to enjoy Goa-we have been doing so the last 25 years), and enjoy YOUR holidays in peace?
Never again â Goa with travelguru.com
S K Mukherji"
- Travel date: Wed 12th of August 2009
Would not go again.
"We stayed for a week at Capt Loboâs Beach Hideaway end of February 2009.
Location is excellent. Five/ten minutes walk to the beach at one end of the road. Taxis, good restaurants, stalls along the way, in the opposite direction, leading onto the main road where more eating places are located.
The swimming pool at the front is small and the sunbathing area almost non-existent. There is a nice seating area for meals
The staff were friendly enough, the rooms quite spacious, could have been cleaner. Linen would be changed everyday if you left your room key at the Reception. Have to mention that the clean bed linen always felt damp. Ants in the rooms were a problem - we had to keep our bags off the floor.
This resort offer a free safety deposit arrangement for valuables, which is located in the office behind the Reception area. This is not a personal box and other people appear to have access to this. Be very careful where you keep your spending money, in particular cash."
- Travel date: Tue 17th of March 2009
"The other review that I saw on here made me really interested in this place. The price made me believe that it would be a solid mid-range hotel.
The location is great. The rooms are old and very basic. There is a kitchen with only a tea pot. The air conditioner kept turning off on its own. The bed has no blanket. There were also places on the same street for one-third of the price. The ground were not as nice, but the rooms were similar. I am about to switch out to one of those rooms.
The staff was quite nice in trying to convince me to stay. They offered me a nicer room. I think they just should have given me a nice room from the start! They did have a problem finding the reservation, but it worked out."
- Travel date: Tue 10th of February 2009
Loved Capt. Lobo's Beach Hideaway
"We really enjoyed our stay at Capt. Lobo's - the rooms were recently renovated, clean comfortable and an amazing value right on the beach. The location is amazing, there is a lot of activity around the hotel, nightlife, restaurants and water sports. The beach is also pretty good and there a lot of shacks to get a drink from. All in all a great vacation on a budget and my wife thought It was very romantic tooâ¦I got extra brownie points!
The staff was very friendly and always went out of their way to help. They helped us book sightseeing trips and really delivered a personalized experience. We even met Capt. Lobo, who shared a couple of his maritime tales with us and invited us to his Jungle Hideaway.
All in all, my wife and I had a wonderful time at Capt Loboâs and Goa and we can't wait to go back and spend a few more sunsets there!"
- Travel date: Sat 29th of November 2008