About Alidia Beach Cottages

• indoor pool

Good

Simple but very nice and cosy!

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"We stayed at Alidia during a week in Baga and had a lovely experience in our AC suite room. It was nothing fancy, but comfortable, clean and pleasant. The pool is cute, the staff friendly and the location - just a quick walk to the main drag of Baga Beach - unbeatable! Highly recommended."

• Travel date: Sun 24th of February 2008

A hidden gem in an over commericalised resort

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"We were looking for a short two week get away from the dreary Amsterdam weather and booked a flight to Hyderabad India and an internal flight from there to Goa. Having been in Baga, Goa last year and while not exactly the most sophisticated of desitnations, it is at least lively, with great restaurants and a good beach. Accommodation can be a problem anywhere in India, you never know what you get until you see it with your own eyes,so I spent two solid weeks before we went researching hotels in the Baga/Calangunte area and couldnt really find anything I was 100% confident about. Then I happened on the guesthouse section and found one listing and it was for Alidia Beach Cottages and the reviews were surprsingly good, with the exception of one that was obviously written by a person unused to dealing the creepy crawlies and noises in the night that are common in the tropics. The booking was a breeze handled by Lidia the owner who kept in constant contact by email before we got there and was able to confirm our rather long list of demands with patience and grace. Anyway our driver picked us up without any bother at Dabolim airport and treated us to a selection of the Indian top 20 charts music which was fun. However when we got to the Alidia's our hearts sank, Hidden behind a church the entrance is very very shabby (not Alidia's fault) and we wondered what had we booked, but after walking down a short path our hearts soared and were so taken with the beauty and lusicousness of the gardens, the swimming pool and the buildings we forgot very quickly about the shabby entrance. Lidia was away when we arrived but the terrific house boys settled us in with out any fuss and tried to do whatever they could to make us feel at home. The room was fine, big, nice balcony, sparkingling bathroom tiled from floor to ceiling. We slept well that night, but I have terrible insomnia and his can be a nightmare if you wake up at 3.00am in the morning fresh as a daisy and have to lie there quietly for 5 hours so as not to disturb your loved one. My mind got into over drive and I knew they had a suite, so as soon as the sun rose I was down at reception asking if I could have a look at the suite, afraid at the same time it would be out of our budget. There are two, one with A/c and one without, In January you have no need of A/c as the nights hover around 20degrees celcius. The suites were just lovely and in fact the less expensive non a/c was nicer than the other one. In anycase the a/c was not available and when I scarily enquired the price I was surprised for a only 300 rupees more a night we could have the suite for our 13 night stay. It is big with a fine living room in a colonial stlye and a great bedroom with a super materess. There are also three balconies leading off the french windows, the main one getting the best of the evening sun setting over the sea. The initial view looks over a few shacks, but this is India, so what. Lidia arrived later in the day and I found her professional but very warm and efficient and felt as if I had known her for years. The move to the suite took no more than 5 minutes and we spent the rest of the 13 nights without any disturbance,me having the freedom of being able to get up at 3.00am and do my own thing in the living room while my partner slept undisturbed. It was a real holiday. The hotel and grounds are impeccable, maintained and kept by a team of the most mannerly, friendly and unobtrusive team of young men who could teach all our hospitality staff a thing or two about hotel keeping in the west. Breakfast was a full selection of western and eastern fare, the scrambled eggs delicious. No decadent buffet, but this isnt the Georges V in Paris. The hotel is divided into several buildings, with an abundance of tropical plants, shrubs and trees and the hotel looks really beautiful when it is lit up at night. There is a good sized pool if you dont want the hassle of the beach and the constant harrassment of the hawkers selling thier wares. It can be as private and solitary as you want it to be, but we found for the most part the other guests very friendly, delighted as much as we were with their find. I could go on and on, but I think you all get the picture. We stayed during High Season but I am sure Lidia is a sensible business woman and is open to negotiation, she has 28 rooms to fill after all in a hotel that is off the well worn track off the main Baga drag. I am not going to say what we paid for the suite but it was well below it true worth. Oh Yeah the beach is a short 3 minute walk down through the shacks. We could easily have stayed another two weeks if time permitted.
There is no other place of this standard at this price and beauty in Baga or Calangute - You would be a fool not to try to get in here, I had a good look around Baga accommodation last year and it was the typical Indian fare,, half finished, worn out linen and bedding and basic. Alidias Beach Cottages is anything but basic, it is real value for money and I can guarantee you a holiday where it would be hard even to the most awkward of client to complain.."

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of February 2008

The est B & B in Goa

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"On arrival in Goa - we were nervous about where we had booked a whole week to stay, what if it was awful?, what if it was dirty?
BUT we need not to have worried, Alidia Beach Cottages is easily the best B & B in Goa. Its clean, newly refurbished, great swimming pool, close to the beach and offers everything."

• Travel date: Tue 15th of January 2008

Very disappointed

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"I am afraid we were very disappointed with the Alidia beach cottages.
We had booked an aircon room however found it to be very small so decided to go for the suite however at 3500 rupees it was very much overpriced.
The guest house is ok however that is just what it is and yet they are charging the same cost as for a 3 star hotel whilst not providing 3 star service.
Breakfast was not included in the cost. There was no aircon and no tv no soap and no drinking glasses. the frig was old and rusty and there was no hot water to the bathroom sink.
Towels were of very poor quality however the worst part was that we had rats in the room and when we mentioned it to Lidia all she said was that no one else had complained.
We checked out after the first night .
Had the guest house been better we wouldnt have minded paying the price but it was definately not worth the price she is charging. K & B Sydney Australia"

• Travel date: Mon 24th of December 2007

Coseeeeeeeeeeeeee

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"Alidia, was a life saver, the wife and me were stuck looking for a place to stay, since we hadn't booked before leaving, Called Alidia and had the option to choose from two available rooms, a regular Double occupancy with A/C or the Beach View AC Suite, we fell in love with suite , simple, elegant, clean and very cosy and also just a shout away from their ever eager help. away from the noise and nice walk away from the beach, I highly recommend. THE SOUNDEST SLEEP I SLEPT IN A LONG TIME"

• Travel date: Sun 4th of November 2007

Great place in Baga!

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"Alidia was a great place to stay while in Baga. I found Alidia through tripadvisor, and although they don't have a website, I found their email address [ [email protected] ] and emailed with the owner (Lidia) to set up the reservation. Note: she was slow in her email responses, but she will get back to you!

The cottage rooms are very cute & very clean and definitely the right price! We got a double without A/C for rs 900 (with A/C was 1500, i believe). We had A/C one night but really didn't need it b/c they have great ceiling fans... it's up to your taste & time of year... I definitely didn't think we needed it in October.

We also moved to a 2nd floor room which had a little balcony; they had a vacancy and I prefered being off the ground level.

They are a quick (5 min) walk to the beach and right near restaurants and bars. (you can also walk along the beach to reach many places).

The pool is really nice, although it closes around 7 and the staff were very sweet & efficient (they have a restaurant / drink service until late at night).

One last thing -- Lidia will coordinate for a taxi to pick you up at the airport. I refused, just opting to get one at the airport -- but I should have taken her up on her offer as her price was rs100 cheaper!

Overall, I highly recommend!"

• Travel date: Fri 19th of October 2007

Excellent Hotel

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"We came to visit Baga and ended up staying here instead of another, more expensive place in south Goa. This place was awesome. It was so good we cancelled other hotels (paid the cancellation fee and still stayed here an additional two days). I don't know how many rooms had airconditioning (my impression was not all), but our two rooms did. I think we paid about 1800 rupees for 3 people to stay in a room and they brought us an extra mattress for the floor. The woman who runs this place is great and was very helpful. The staff was friendly and attentive. The rooms were simple, clean and new. There's also a restaurant attached to the hotel. Although we never dined there, it was great to order up snacks and beers by the pool. The hotel is on the beach, but you still have to walk 100 meters or so to actually get down to the water. I'll mention that there are a few of stray dogs on the walk down there, but there are stray dogs everywhere, so that was not unexpected."

• Travel date: Sat 19th of May 2007

Excellent Place to Stay...

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"Conscious that “bigging” this place up will increase popularity!!!

This was my first trip to India and we booked the Alidia Beach Cottages direct with the owners Lidia and her husband.

We initially didn’t book a cab from the airport, but changed our minds prior to travelling to Goa Airport and emailed the Alidia. Out taxi was waiting. A tip here is to get the hotel to provide an safe driver as the road from the airport is a bit scary.

Booked direct with owners and we opted for the cheapest room 1900rps her night. Although this room was clean and basic as expected, we upgraded to the more expensive rooms with AC the next night. These rooms are in a new block and are to a very high standard. In fact they are to the same standard as the rooms I stayed in at the 9 Muses (Skala, Kefelonia,Greece), where I paid £750 for a weeks holiday!!!

Very high standard of room, very well decorated and kitted out. Very clean and in a lovely setting, specious and good sized bathroom. Balcony had 2 chairs and a table. AC remote control. The rooms cleaned daily by the 5-6 attendants.

Quaintly located behind a church and several properties belonging to the owners. Accommodation is off the main road so it is quieter. You have to follow a winding path (take a touch with you if you are out for the evening as the power is often cut in the evenings). Also have a security guard who walks the complex all through the night.

The Swimming Pool area is lovely and looks new. It's very well attended and is constantly kept clean of falling leaves from the welcomed palms and other trees. This constant attention by staff also allows you to get a beer, sandwich or whatever refreshments you want. All pool furniture is of a good standard and the pool was not crowded. Fairly mixed crowd at this hotel, so you get to meet some great characters.

The restaurant is basic and has a limited menu, so breakfast and snacks were good. Refreshment prices are very good and you are NOT ripped off. Daily we had large breakfasts, snack lunches, beers and water and paid around 4128rps (3 people).

Customer service is top notch here, with the owners and their staff being very helpful and friendly. There is a family run atmosphere, but without the noise of kids."

• Travel date: Tue 20th of March 2007

Alidia - A peaceful Haven in Busy Baga

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"Alidia Beach Cottages, Baga - February 2007

This was our 3rd Holiday in Goa, and our 1st experience of booking our flights and accommodation seperatley. We chose the Alidia beacuse we had been let down by another hotel at the last minute and we were getting rather desperate. We had been reccommended the hotel through the Trip Advisor forums, there was very little info on the internet and only one other review on TA so we were a little apprehensive and uncertain about what to expect from the Alidia. The Alidia is featured in the Lonley Planet so we were able to gain a little knowledge before hand.

Booking: We contacted the Hotel directly by email to enquire about prices & availability, our email correspondance was fairly basic and no price was really agreed beforehand, we were just going by the price guides we had seen on the web which were 1000 Rps per night. When we arrived we were shown to one of the newer rooms with A/C which cost 2500 Rps per night - a little more than we wanted to pay but well worth it! There are a variety of different room types to suit every budget, the older more basic rooms without A/C are great value if you prefer something a little cheaper (1000 Rps pn) - We were given a choice but decided to stick with the A/C Rooms.

Rooms: The Rooms were complete luxury compared to anywhere else ive stayed in Goa. The buildings are Whitewashed traditional Goan style with red tiled roofs, Tiled staircases and Arched windows. The Room was spacious, Light & Airy, clean and modern. Our bedroom had a large double Bed (Very Rare in Goa), a medium Size modern Bathroom with the standard open shower and small balcony overlooking the Pool area. The balcony was furnished with Two Chairs and a small table. The remote control A/C was very welcome in the 33c Heat. The rooms were kept spotlessley clean by the Room boys, Bed Linen & Towels changed every other day and Rooms cleaned daily.

Hotel: The hotel itself is set back from the Busy Baga Road, away from the hustle and bustle. Tucked behind the managers house and a Whitewashed Church. The Reception area is tiny but very well run by the owner - Lidia and her Staff. The Swimming Pool area is a tranquil Haven, surrounded by Palms and Flowers, in an idyllic garden setting. One slight complaint was that the pool was extreemly cold - but it was often a welcome releif from the Heat. The pool area & Pool was kept immaculately clean, I would estimate that the tiled pool side was swept at least 10 times a day and scrubbed by hand atleast once a week!! The Pool was surrounded by Sun Loungers and tables, not overcrowded like many other hotels Ive stayed it. The Palms meant that you could always find a well shaded spot away from the heat. The Hotel has a simple open air restaurant, which has quite a limited menu but its a great place to enjoy a drink before an evening out. There are so many restaurants to enjoy nearby that the limited menu isnt a problem. As with everywhere in Goa, Food & Drinks are Cheap - Our Bar bill for the two week stay was £18 (For 2) this included a few breakfasts and loads of beers, breezers and bottled water. The Hotel is split into 3 blocks, each of two storeys high, they also have a Suite with roof top balcony and ocean view. Each block is connected by meandering tiled pathways and fringed by shady Palms and colourful Flowers.

Location: In previous visits to Goa we have always been a taxi ride away from the Beach. So staying right in the heart of Baga, only 2mins walk from the beach was a luxury in itself. The hotel is set back off the main Baga Road, between Tito's Road and Brittos. The Beach can be reached via the back entrance in just 2 minutes, the walk is a little challenging, through the dunes and past peoples houses (Shacks) and a variety of wildlife (Pigs & Cows). But it cuts out the Busy main road and its hassle free (No Sellers along the way). Using the other route to the beach (The Front entrance) you have to pass a number of shops, and with that comes the usual shouts of "Hey, Look at my shop - Cheap as Chips - Everything 100 Rupees etc", Fun at 1st but as every visitor to Goa will tell you it becomes a little tedious after a few days. During the Day the Hotel was quiet and peaceful, Night time was a bit noisier, with beach fireworks and Dogs barking in the distance, but its really not enough to out me off staying in such a central location.

Other Guests: There were a number of different age groups and nationalitys staying at Alidia. Ranging in age from 18 - 80. Many guests seemed to just stay a couple of nights as they were travelling on elsewhere. The Alidia does not take Tour Operator Packages so it seemed that everyone had just turned up on spec or booked directly, this ensured a nice mix of like minded people & a relaxed atmosphere. No Larger Louts or Screaming Kids.

Staff: The staff were faultless, Lidia and her Husband run their Family business very well they are welcoming and friendly, and always nearby for a chat. The Staff work there socks off, always busy cleaning or sweeping. The standards of clenliness is really something that has to be seen to be beleived.

Summary: I would definately go back to the Alidia, in fact I dont think I would like to go anywhere else in North Goa now - Ive been spoilt. Its fair to say that You can find much cheaper accommodation elsewhere but you would be hard pushed to find anywhere as friendly and welcoming as Alidia. The location is perfect for beach lovers and those who like to be near the nightlife and restaurants. The standards of Clenliness are second to none, very impressive. I would reccomend this place to anyone wanting a relaxed place to stay but close to the hustle and bustle.

I would also like to recommend a few of my fave restaurants:

After 7 (Candolim)
J&A's Little Italy (Baga River)
Fiesta (Tito's Rd, Baga)
I-95 (Nr Kamat Holiday Homes, Calangute)
Casa Portugesa (Nr Alidia Cottages, Baga)
Aphrodite (Baga Road)

Enjoy your visit to Goa, should you decide to stay at the Alidia in the future I can Guarentee that you wont be dissapointed. Say Hello to Alidia and her Family from me (The Roberts Family!)"

• Travel date: Tue 6th of March 2007

Good and close to the beach

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"Alidia Beach Cottages is very close to the beach and is very peaceful. The staff are so happy to help and really sweet. The breakfast was very good and good value for money. The rooms and light, airy and very clean. The bathrooms we a very high standard too. We paid Rs700 (approx 8 pounds) and so it was superb value for money.

I really would urge anyone to stay in Baga as oppose to Calongute as it is alot more relaxing and has alot more character. If you do stay at Alidia Beach Cottages, make sure you take a walk to the beach at night and check out 'Bella Ciao' - an Italia restaurant with the best pizzas this side of Italy!"

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of October 2006