POOL

Good

Although we haven't been on a holiday wi...

Reviewed 17th April 2007

"Although we haven't been on a holiday with Kuoni for quite some time as they don't offer a discount for a third adult sharing a bedroom. Why not? other holiday firms do, and it makes quite a difference for those of us travelling with older children), but our travel agent found a good special deal so we travelled to the Majorda Beach with them this year. We arrived very late, after a much delayed flight Saturday evening flight from Gatwick with Monarch. The hotel staff told us that these delays were a regular occurrence. However as soon as we arrived at the hotel our travel cares faded away and we started to relax. Our room was large with two double beds, plenty of space, and a view over the lovely lawns down towards the sea. As the gardens have matured the views of the sea are now obscured, but the dense vegetation increases security and ensures an abundance of wildlife - birds and butterflies were particularly amazing. The hotel wages an on-going war against the crows, setting off bangers at roosting time and employing a man with a flag to keep them away from the poolside restaurant when breakfast is being served. There are plenty of loungers for sunbathing both around the pool, and on the lawns, which are more shady. You can help yourself to cushions, and sign for beach towels. There was little evidence of people rushing to reserve sun beds, and there were always plenty to go around. We ate breakfast every day, and found that there was a huge variety of foods to satisfy both western and Indian palates. On our departure day they opened up the buffet early so that we could eat before our pick up - this was a much appreciated service. The theme nights are expensive, and we only attended one. The food was good, but pricey compared with the beach shacks, the pianist was good and the magician turned up late. We tried most of the beach shacks, and they all provided good meals, and friendly service at exceptionally low prices. We decided against the rather pricey trips that the Kuoni rep offered us, and hired taxis to take us to the places we wanted to visit. The hotel will summon taxis for you, and displays a list of prices, though these are for a basic car without AC. These trips are good value for money, though its best to be quite specific as to where you wish to go as the drivers, understandably, want to push the shops that give them rewards for your arrival. I think the tour of the Spice Garden is well worth taking. A word of warning if you decide on the South Goa tour - this will take you to the Shri Shantadurga Temple, where a very predatory priest will try to exhort money off you. My only criticism of the Majorda Beach was that it is looking a little faded and shabby in parts. Some of the wall decorations were 2 bed heads in an interesting pattern, and a bit of updating in the bedrooms would probably improve the rooms. We did have some scurrying insects in the bathroom, but when we complained someone came straight up and sprayed the room to get rid of them. The staff were friendly and helpful, the holiday relaxing and peaceful. We would certainly return, and thoroughly recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: 17th April 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Majorda Beac...

Reviewed 15th December 2006

"My wife and I stayed at the Majorda Beach Resort from 25 Nov till the 11 Dec and we loved it. We normally go to the Caribbean for our holidays but thought we would try India just for a change. We only got back yesterday and this morning we went straight to the travel agents and booked another fortnight for the same time next year and we got it for the same price too. The Hotel: We loved the hotel and the room we had was very roomy, comfortable, cleaned every day, fairly quiet for the most part and was perfect for what we needed i.e somewhere to sleep, have a shower, watch a bit of telly and have a cuppa after we got back in at night and a cuppa in the morning. The size of the hotel is quite big and very pleasant when walking through. There is an indoor pool but we never saw a single person in it the whole fortnight. The pictures in the brochure do not do the hotel justice, the interior is massive. They had just put up all the Christmas decorations last week and they did look very impressive. The staff are very very very friendly and always have a smile on their faces and always passed the compliments of the day to "madame and sir". Very nice. Breakfast is very good and we just had scrambled or poached eggs on toast, beans etc and a couple of cups of tea to start the day off. There are a wide selection of other foods available as well for breakfast. You will get hotel staff asking you to book a table for the evening meal whilst eating your brekky but a polite "no thank you" will see them moving onto the next table. We only ate in the hotel on one "steak" evening and that was mainly because the prices are way too expensive compared to outside, more on that later. The steak night was only a fiver each which was a 3 course meal and a beer thrown in as well so that was OK but all the other evening meals were far more expensive than that so we gave the hotel meals a huge body swerve. We did order room service one evening and can recommend the steak sandwich...we were expecting a steak sandwich but what we got was steak, onion gravy, toast, salad and chips and it only cost 135 rupees each. One thing to bear in mind when ordering in the hotel is that the price you see is not what you pay...they add tax on everything. I was expecting to pay 270 rupees for the steaks but when the tax was added it was over 300. It is still very cheap compared to UK prices but compared to outside restaurants and shacks it is very expensive. Overall, the hotel is a very pleasant hotel with friendly professional staff and is very pleasing on the eye and when I read about people complaining about the grouting in the bathrooms and the paintwork etc etc it makes me wonder why these people bother going on holiday at all. Have they got nothing better to do than inspect things and look for faults? For gods sake, just go there and chill out and enjoy yourselves..it's brilliant The Hotel Grounds: Cannot fault them at all, luscious green grass, constantly worked on by an army of workers, peaceful, large pool and a kiddies pool next to it. and we spent a few days just lounging around on a couple of the many beds that are available. Towels are also available that you have to sign for and just hand them in when you have finished. Faultless. Beach. I mentioned at the start of this review that we normally go to the Caribbean mainly because we are a couple of beach lovers but the beach is just as good if not better, than anywhere in the world. Brilliant white sand, nothing to stumble on or watch out for and the soft sand gets so hot, that they put a coconut mat down for you to walk on down to the beach to stop your feet burning Beach Hawkers: Constantly asking you to purchase from them and even after you have said "no thanks" they still come back and ask you another half a dozen times. If you say no, they then ask if you will buy later on and in order to get rid of them you say yes later on and then they go away. But they come back later on. Once you have a bit of a tan they tend to leave you alone and they look for "whiteys" If you are firm with them they do get the message and then they won't bother you. After all, they are only trying to make a living. Lots of beggars and kids wanting your cash and it is hard not to give them a few rupees. Shacks: We spent nearly a whole two weeks eating, drinking and sunbathing at a shack called the Camron which is on the left side of the beach and is run by a man and wife called Camillo and Sharon. The food is sensational, unbelievably cheap and would not be out of place in any top class restaurant here in the UK. We tried nearly everything on the menu and every meal without exception was exquisite. The staff they have working for them are just the best ever...Joseph and Dilb will treat you like royalty for the whole time you are there. We ate the best lobster, crab, fish of all sorts as well as all the other side dishes and they are all beautifully prepared and very high quality. We did try the popular shack called the Mish Mar, which is nearest the hotel but we found that the Camron was much better."

• Travel date: 15th December 2006

loved it!

Reviewed 19th December 2012

"I am just back from two weeks at the majorda and loved it. The hotel is old but well maintiained and the staff were excellent- friendly, attentive and polite. I had a cottage and these were very big and my onkly criticism woudl eb that th abthrooms coudl do with refurbishment and that the terrace ws in need of a paint. although they were very comforatble i dont think they were worth the extra cash.Pool was very clean and always plenty of sunbeds and towels. breakfast was excellent with a wide variety that changed every day. thestaff would also go and get anything you requested eg another kind of fruit if there was none that you liked.. We never tried any of the hotel nights as found the nearby restaurants fab ( try Fresh n up as a lovely family and you basically eat on their veranda)>.pentagon and crab keys also worth a visit as well as the famous Martin's corner. we also used the tailor in the village and the local "Tesco" to exchange money and again everyoneffering excellent servcie and value for money. We also ignored the notices re water etc and far better rate to change money outwith the hotel.Taxis also cheaper outtside the hotel or from tesco ( ask for francis) all in all a great holiday and i would highly recomnned the majorda . in fcat most of the people we met were repeat guests"

• Travel date: 23rd November 2006

Terrible service, poor food, ok rooms, great pool/gardens

Reviewed 19th December 2012

"If Fawlty Towers had been set in a Goan beachside hotel, this would be it. The service is incompetent throughout the hotel. It would have once been a great hotel, in the 80's. Now, despite the fact the staff like to call it a 5* hotel, it is certainly not. I'd say 3*. Our room was large, with good AC, and generally OK, but the bathroom is tatty. On the plus side, the gardens are superb, with a decent swimming pool, and easy access to the beach, although in October it was too churned up and full of dead fish to swim in. The restaurants food in not great (breakfast is OK, dinner was poor). The bar smells so bad we could not stay in there for a drink (might be OK if you're a heavy smoker, but it still smells mouldy). My advice is to leave the hotel to eat - Pentagon restaurant is excellent, a 10th the price of the hotel and only 2 mins walk out of hotel, heading away from the coast. In summary, avoid it, as there must be better than this along the coast."

• Travel date: 4th November 2006

Great experience, but they do give with one hand and take away with the other

Reviewed 26th December 2012

"Stayed at this hotel at the end of the season, in the last week in March. It was a great time to go becasue the hotel / beaches were not busy. Whilst the hotel is definitely not a 5 star hotel (hotel's definitely seen better days with our bathroom in a poor state) the grounds that the hotel is situated within, i.e. the lusch gardens are beautiful and a very peaceful place to relax in. Staff our also friendly. Pretty much impossible to sunbathe on beach without being harrassed by either sarong sellers or restaurant owners. My suggestion is to lie on the loungers just inside the beach gate in the garden and then rush down to the sea. The hawkers will wait for you when you're in the sea but you can easily do a mad dash back to your lounger. Loved the sea, had a bit of a drag on it but fun to swim in it. Beware eating in hotel especially on Fish Market day. Felt it was a rip off as my partner and I got charged £65. Also a lady came up with what we thought was a complimentary drink but got charged £10 for it. After paying £65 felt this was heard to stomach. I complained but the manager stated we never give complimentary drinks away, even though we got a free drink when we arrived. They tried the same scam on the local dance nite but by then everybody had wised up to this scam. Don't be afraid to venture out of the hotel, you can eat really well in one of the many beach shacks for £5. We had a fantastic delicately cooked crab on the beach. Ignore the signs in the hotel telling you not to bring back lager or water as if you buy it outside its 50% cheaper. Breakfast was massive and very varied. Found staff very friendly. The ayurvedic massages inside the hotel, whilst a bit expensive were incredibley relaxing (if you are having a few you can barter a bit. The massage with the warm rice insied a cloth was the best. Negotiated a reasonable price with taxi driver to take us to Old Goa and to the famous Anjuna market. Loved Goa, hotel was set in very beautiful surroundings but you have to be careful with your money as sometimes in the hotel whilst giving with one hand they also took with the other."

• Travel date: 5th September 2006

Worst Hotel I have ever stayed

Reviewed 26th December 2012

"Myself and my husband stayed at this hotel in December 2005. We were told its a 5* hotel but turned our to be worst than faulty towers. We ordered food in the restaurant and had to wait for 2hours, because the waiters kept changing their shift work. The main thing is we could not sleep at night due to so much noise on the floors above us. this hotel is mostly used by the Russians, were making so much noise in the room, moving furniture middle of the night and walking in room with high heels on. We complained to the Manager 5 times but he just ignored us. I would never advise anybody to stay in this hotel, please in any case you have booked this hotel, I strongly advise you to change the hotel, nevermind if you have to pay extra cancellation charge, it will be worth your while."

• Travel date: 13th July 2006

Dated

Reviewed 27th December 2012

"I travelled to Goa this April for the first time, the Majorda Beach Hotel is quoted as being 4 star even 5 star in some British brochures, it felt more like a 3 star beach hotel and I agree with some previous reviews, it is in need of updating. The rooms (ours was quite large as it was on a corner) are generally clean but could have been better. What I didn't understand was why the beach towels were all stained even though they were washed everyday, other guests who have been before kept saying' whats the problem you are in Goa' so what! I still expect a clean towel for the beach, some of the room towels were not that clean as well. The other thing that seemed strange and was a comment by even previous guests, was the lack of understanding of English by some of the waiting staff, whereas in the shacks on the beach - Sams was good- the English was second to none. By the way, this hotel is now being used heavily by Russian holiday makers who were by and by well behaved but liked to throw money about so sometimes the waiters looked at our tips in discust. To everyone out there., please can we stop trying to outdo each other on tipping it will ruin everywhere we go if we are not careful. I (and my wife) will not be going back to Goa too many other places to see, but I did feel a little dissapointed with what turned out to be only a very standard hotel."

• Travel date: 4th May 2006

Great hotel, perfect location

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"I cannot fault this hotel, after reading some of the reviews I was a little hesitant when booking, but all my concerns were unfounded. The hotel was bright and airy, the bedrooms and bathrooms spotless and the hotel staff very friendly and helpful. It has a fantastic location, opening out on to a beautiful beach, literally minutes walk from the rooms, and through the lovely hotel gardens, past the pool and though an area with loungers under the palm trees (good for avoiding the beach sellers but in my view has none of the 'beach' atmosphere) and straight on to the beach. There are about 10 different shacks on the beach, all serving seafood freshly caught that day, typical Goan and Indian dishes, chinese, italian and typical Brits on holiday food (all day breakfasts, burgers etc! Why when the local food is so amazing?). The seafood and local Goan dishes were all delicious, although it was difficult to persude them that we really did want to eat spicy food! These were great for eating at during the day and evening, very reasonable and it was great fun watching all the crabs running around on the beach at night! I'd recommend Blues Waves and Wen's Den. My only criticism would be that there are loads of people on the beach trying to sell you sarongs, jewellery, clothes, food, ear cleaning (?!) etc. You have to just be polite but firm and they generally get the idea, and they are always friendly, never rude, although it can get a little annoying at times. I would definitely recommend going Bed and Breakfast as there are so many different restaurants to try out, but the one meal we ate in the hotel was also fantastic. March was a good time of year to go as it was getting toward the end of their season so the beaches were quieter than normal and the temperatures were pretty high. Overall, the combination of great hotel, service, food, weather, beach and the friendly locals made it an perfect holiday!"

• Travel date: 5th April 2006

A hotel to be avoided

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"This hotel needs extensive refurbishment; particularly the bathrooms. Once a superb hotel the Majorda Beach has been allowed to deteriorate totally; not only in its fabric but also in service, management and food. The beautiful grounds are still well maintained, but are watered daily with a foul-smelling brown liguid from the bowels of the earth; particularly when breakfast is being served nearby. Protests are to no avail. The nearby beach is infested with hawkers, beggars, animals and would-be circus acts, making relaxation impossible. Beach shacks provide superb cheap meals but are no refuge from the hawkers etc' during the day. The shacks highly recommended for dinner (no hawkers etc'!!). Majority of hotel staff understand very little English which affects service. My one (and only!) experience of hotel restaurant was the worst meal I've ever been presented with in my life. I could not eat it. On complaining to the manager he became agressively argumentative. Payment in full was demanded. The only saving grace was housekeeping. The lad assigned to our cottage provided the best service I've ever experienced in the world. Nevertheless I would recommend you avoid this hotel."

• Travel date: 23rd March 2006

Pleasant surprise.....

Reviewed 28th December 2012

"Pleasant surprise…… The Majorda was not our first choice for a short three night stay in Goa, but as it was peak season most of the good hotels were full. However the Majorda did give us a pleasant surprise. The food was of good quality and value (as is all of Goa), the facilities were fine, the hotel actually boasts it’s own casino and an indoor swimming pool, neither of which were particularly busy. The hotel is well located, in the prettier South of Goa, close enough to the airport to catch those early morning flights comfortably, and only 20 minutes from Margao, a local town/city which offers a real flavour of India. A four star rating is fair, I would not stretch to describing it as four star deluxe or five star. Perhaps the only drawback is the age of the hotel, it is quite obviously not “new”, we would guess it was built in the 1980’s and I’m afraid it shows. Wear and tear is quite obvious, the style and feel is nearly outdated. But those minor points are masked by the facts that the staff were friendly and attentive, the rooms were comfortable and spacious, and the (small) outdoor pool was never over-crowded. It’s definitely more popular with the more mature guests, perhaps because it offers plenty of nice space to lounge away in peace away from both the pool and the beach. The only other point that may be worth noting was that it was very popular with Russians, not sure if this is more synonymous of Goa or the hotel, or whether or not it even matters."

• Travel date: 11th March 2006

Wonderful Grounds and location

Reviewed 27th December 2012

"Have just returned from an enjoyable break at this hotel. Its location is superb with extensive grounds with plenty of shade leading down to the extensive beach. A well maintained and very clean pool. The staff are attentive and friendly. The hotel is, however, getting somewhat tired and urgently needs refurbishment. Our bathroom was dirty when we arrived but the management arranged a clean up when we complained, this including the complete redecoration of the bathroom! There did seem to be better rooms so possibly we were unfortunate. I would rate this hotel as 4 star rather than 5 We went half board which on reflection was a mistake as we would have had more choice of dining venues within the hotel at little or no extra cost. Drinks and mineral water are very expensive, approximately three times the price paid outside the hotel in the beach shacks which we thought was an unreasonable differential. The hotel would have sold more if the prices had been a little more realistic, and I think the lack of sales was particularly disappointing from the viewpoint of the very helpful staff who tried their very best to tempt their guests. Overall we were delighted with our stay but we would insist on having a better room next time and go bed and breakfast."

• Travel date: 15th February 2006

A glimpse of Indian Magic

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"Stayed there for a week in mid-January. The hotel is a beautiful Portuguese building with palm trees in the atrium and an amazing garden around it. The room we stayed in was spacious, with large beds and a long balcony facing the ocean beach. The bathroom was one disappointment: the towels seemed to be poorly washed and the toilet sanitary conditions laissaient a desirer. Housekeeping was a bit slow -- we often happend to find the room in a mess or cleaning in progress coming back from the beach at about noon and having put the sign out at 9 am. The most pleasant experience was relaxing in the shadow of the palm trees and observing the sea -- that way we managed to escape the intrusive locals on the beach and still enjoy the ocean breeze all day long. One thing you had to get used to was crows crawking non-stop. If you're lucky, you might find a coconut that has just fallen from the palm tree -- a much better souvenir than anything locals try to sell to tourists! As in any tropical country, you have to be careful with food -- grilled fish and seafood at the Seashells restaurant was probably the best choice. Don't miss the fish market every Monday -- a fantastic selection of seafood cooked the way you choose and you might just as well come across a member of the Royal family at the dinner! Make sure you try out the fresh watermelon and pineapple juice at the hotel -- practically the only safe place to do that in India."

• Travel date: 24th January 2006