Bogmallo Beach Resort

Good

“Did not like being asked to "GET OUT...

Reviewed Tue 26th of August 2008

"“Did not like being asked to "GET OUT OF HERE !" and Food was worst then bad.”

Keep off, keep away, do not go to this resort.

Its a 5 Star room, 5 Star location, Close to the Airport, with some great reviews, but the management and the policies of the hotel stink, suck and the staff at the front desk, especially the duty managers either are totally ignorant, or totally don't care.

I was personally asked to get out of here, on asking for a detailed explanation by the Duty manager (Gautham) who apologized and made things better, only to be told the next day that he had made a mistake and did not have authority to act.

To this, the "GET OUT OF HERE" stood and I cut my 6 night holiday at this resort down to 1 night of stress, tense hours.

The food tasted really bad, even basic items such as tomato soup tasted foul. The rest of the food looked unpalatable, and the attitude of the food services manager and executive chef was basically "I don't care - that's what is included in the All Inclusive package"

The amenities of the hotel are a poor excuse to and basically included to enhance the attractiveness of the property.

The location is really good, the beach is fantastic, but I would rather be staying on the beach for these items than the resort as they do not contribute anything to further the location and the beach for my comfort or palate.

Dr. Narendra Patel
[--]

• Travel date: Tue 26th of August 2008

A place to go back to

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"Just returned having experienced one of the best holidays ever, having travelled to majority of places worldwide. Never been to Goa before and didn't really know what to expect. Bogmallo beach is about 5 minutes by taxi from the airport and did not have any problems with aircraft noise. On arrival to the hotel we were greatly surprised and was pleased that we had made the right choice. Very clean and staff were very friendly. To all the women take an empty suitcase! We left our husbands in the bar and ventured to the tailors as we had been told that we could have anything made. We were recommended to MANILOS TAILORS and had 2 trouser suits made, 2 dresses 5 pairs of trousers and 4 blouses, made to measure. the quality was superb. Nothing was too much trouble. To have a dress made was £30, Trousers £10 etc. Very cheap and very professional.
We also had beauty treatments within the hotel pedicure £3, full body massage £9.
We will certainly be returning next year!"

• Travel date: Wed 13th of December 2006

Absolutly fantastic

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"Everything about this hotel and about goa was great. You walk in to a open reception that looks straight out over palm trees to the beach and the sea. Our room was lovely. Very clean and spacious. The view (which i think every room has) was out on to the sea - (see photo). The pool was lovely with a "floating edge". The restaurant is great too, try the fish even if you dont like fish, it was suberb. We travelled around goa which is very cheap and the taxi driver will wait for you all day for very little. We travelled to the north and to the south and didnt see a hotel i would have prefered to stay in than ours. The beaches in the south are wonderful and the things you see out of the window along the way are too. You tend to get hasselled by sellers on the beach but if you keep saying no and ignoring them they go away eventually although you can get good things from them very cheap. Barter for everything , they usually give in . But we thought £3 english money was cheap for a pair of shoes our taxi driver told us they should be sold for £1. Try and eat in the beach huts, we asked the waiter what was best and he brought us a plate of fresh fish to choose from - we chose 'tandori shark' and it was delcious! All in all if you get the chance to visit Goa please please do so and make the most of it go and explore, and if you want a great hotel to stay in then try and stay in bogmallo beach i've been to alot of places but this is definatly up there in my top 3 somwhere!
P.S sorry to end on a bad note but avoid Monarch airlines like the plague - it was the only bad thing i can say..... i'm 5 foot 3 and my knees touched the seat in front - for nine hours it wasnt nice and cost us £90 to upgrade to extra leg room when i couldnt face 11hrs like the same going back, the plane looked like it was made in the 60's , couldnt see a tv screen, food was awful. I dont complain about much but this took the micheal!!"

• Travel date: Fri 8th of September 2006

Barely acceptible

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"One disclaimer - I went during Monsoon, so lounging on the beach was not an option. Coconut Grove is closed for non-peak season, so the only food option appears to be buffet. I can't speak to the quality of the buffet as I went to Panaji for dinner.

I would not recommend this hotel for severeal reasons, though they may not apply to everyone (each is entitled to their own tastes):
- Distance from Panaji
- Low occupancy means fewer other visitors to socialize with
- No in-hotel distractions except for casino
- Limited TV Options (Only english news was Headlines Today)
- No in-room safe
- General state of disrepair.

While I did enjoy Goa (hiring a car to see the temples near Ponda and Old Goa highly recommended), I would recommend a place north of Panaji."

• Travel date: Sun 13th of August 2006

The best holiday we have ever had!!!

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"I can honestly say, that our holiday to Goa and The Bogmallo Hotel, has been the best we have ever had!! It was just myself and my husband, we left the kids behind, as it was a special celebration.
I totally agree about a previous comment about Monarch, it was not the best long haul flight we have have been on!! Very tight seating, you are pratically on top of each other, and our inflight entertainment wasnt working, thrilled about 10 hours on the plane with no entertainment!
Anyway, the hotel is absolutely great, it is not a beauty to look at but the staff, food, ambience etc is fantastic. I would definately upgrade to a deluxe room, which we did, it cost about £70 for the week. Worth every penny, they showed us the basic room, it was dark and dingy, the deluxe was modern, clean and near the top of the hotel. All rooms have a fantastic view though. All face the beach, pool and the sunsets are amazing!!
The breakfast wasnt great and I refused to eat in the dining room, it was so claustophobic but you could grab a table outside on the verandah and what could be better, then having breakfast looking out onto the beach, pool area.
We were all inclusive, the food was really really really good, great selection. We ate at the Coconut Grove each evening, and the food was freshly cooked in front of you. There would be a 'chefs special' sent to your table as soon as you sat down, as a little appertiser.
My only gripe would be the drinks, normal Coca cola was included in the inclusive but diet coke, you had to pay for!!! Try the cocktails, at the sunset bar, we would have a cocktail watching the sun come down each evening.
We travelled a lot in our short week! We hired one of the taxi drivers by the day, and he took us everywhere we wanted to go. Much cheaper than the planned excursions and he took us to unknown touristy places. Our most memorable visit was to the elephant sanctuary. An overnight stay in a jungle mud hut, which we will never ever forget, so glad we done it though. I have never been so scared in my life!! Then the following day you visit the elephants and swim and bathe with them. It was definately a life time experience. We came back absolutely filthy and tired but worth every second, we have never laughed so much.
Would I recommend Goa and the Bogmallo......Yes definately. We are definately going back!!"

• Travel date: Sat 24th of June 2006

Perfect

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"Just would like to add to the rest iof the comments and say that this resort is perfect especially compared to the other resorts. The private beach, the lovely people and the gorgeous hotel. The only point is that the pool is not that child friendly for young ones, broken tiles and steep drops however the 30 seconds to the beach and you are left in peace (which is worth its weight in gold when in goa).

Absolutely a beautiful place would go back again without question.

thanks"

• Travel date: Wed 14th of June 2006

To Expensive Self Booking

Reviewed Wed 17th of October 2012

"I was going to stay at the Bogmallo but pulled out at the last minute. It was far cheaper with Cosmos then booking direct with them. For December they wanted $70 yes thats right, for Christmas dinner, and $90 for the new years eve dinner. They were so expensive. I had read the reviews on here and thought I would go twice this year. No way at that price plus the horrendous Cost of $90 a night to stay there. I did take up the charges but they have not replied to 3 emails or 2 phone calls. This is Goa and for £580 a week just to stay is beyond a joke, plus the air fare. Las Vegas was cheaper so off I went. It is a good hotel etc. but one needs the UK agents to get the best deal, first time for every thing. This is the only place I know that is more then double the price of agents. Sorry but not for me, its there loss."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of June 2006

A quiet hotel in the midst of the local culture

Good
Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"My husband and I spent a week at the Bogmallo Beach Resort in April and had a fab time! Many Thanks to Stuart who posted a review in March as before we left I emailed him to get a few tips which were all very useful. First of all the hotel itself, as commented by others is not what I would deem to be 5 star, there are a number of reasons for this. Firstly there is little entertainment at the hotel but I have to say the travel agent and websites do not profess that it does so we were not surprised at this. If you want all singing all dancing teams trying to get you to do water aerobics etc all day then this is not the place for you. If you do want some time out lying by the pool reading a book then this will be more your cup of tea. The rooms however are of a higher standard than the hotel as a whole - the deluxe room we had was definitely more of a 4 star standard, very airy with excellent air con, a large bed and bathroom, satellite television etc. You must visit the little beauty parlour on site - although rather small and dingy inside appearances are deceptive! For £4.50 I had a 45 minute manicure and a 45 minute facial massage far better than the many I have had in England! Cocunt Grove is the main restaurant on site and the foood is excellent slightly more expensive than the places on the beach side but slightly more upmarket. Definitely go to Joets at the very end of the beach the food here is super but it gets very busy so reserving a table is a good idea. The little shops/shacks just off the beach are worth having a look in and it is advisable to get water and beer from these much cheaper than in the hotel and of course you are supporting the local shopkeepers. Putting the hotel to one side the most amazing thing about the holiday was the destination itself - Goa. This really is a most beautiful part of India and the hotel offered an excellent base to get around and see the country. For £10 a day we hired a taxi which took us to spice plantations, local villages and towns and waited patiently for us at all our destinations!!

In response to the review that talked about cows on the beach, this is true they are on the beach but generally we found this was in the evening but as the cow is sacred to Hindus they will never be moved on - we found that this just added to the character of the destination and gave a chance to see a small part of how other cultures live. I didn't see any cow poo or any other sort for that matter (!) on the beach but there were some wild dogs which I have to say were not my favourite but without an RSPCA they are free to roam...

All in all if you are off to Bogmallo for a holiday and except that it is a quiet hotel in the midst of the local culture then you will have a great time. Take advantage of the cheap transport and go and experience what is a truly beautiful country."

• Travel date: Mon 29th of May 2006

Bogmalo Beach-The Truth

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"Just returned.
Plus points...very friendly staff, ( brought a cake to my room on my birthday ) comfortable room ( deluxe on 5th floor,good view ) cleaned daily.Newspaper delivered everyday and cable TV with about 30 channels of which about 10 were in English.A fridge in the room which you certainly need.Give the air-con about 30 minutes and it does become quite effective.Coconut Grove is the restaurant to use for dinner in the hotel.Got made to measure pure silk shirts for £7.00 each.The price of everything is very reasonable by UK standards.Weather superb.

Negative points......no way is it 5 Star ( closer to 3.5 by European standards ).Bars close at 11.00pm.All Inclusive EXCLUDES any International brand spirits,Diet Coke,Bacardi Breezer,any coffee that is NOT Nescafe,liquers,king prawn dishes and lobster dishes.Nothing for children to do.Cows wander down the beach and shite everywhere.The resort is very isolated.We thought we could just nip up to the livelier places in the north like Calangute....it takes about 90 minutes each way by taxi ( £12.00 round trip ).Hotel entertainment is woeful.Karaoke virtually every night in the Coconut Grove or a middle-of-the-road bunch of crooners in the Sunset Bar.If you are under 30 it could well be the most boring holiday you have ever been on."

• Travel date: Wed 10th of May 2006

nice but no 5 star

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"just come back from bogmalo beach resort, was really excited having read all the great reports about hotel, but having arrived after a great flight, with Monarch may i add, we were lead to our standard rooms having been unable to upgrade to deluxe rooms for at least one night. The standard rooms are old , dark, damp, and dingy, so if you do book make sure you upgrade before you get there. The deluxe rooms are bright and airy with great views if you are on the higher floors.
The hotel food is ok but you are better eating out, at such places has john seagulls, or joets
where the food is great and dirt cheap a family of three, with drinks, about £7. The evening entertainment is practicly none existing, and the daytime entertainment is NONE existing, so if you are taking children like us make sure you take plenty of things for them to do.
Over all the hotel is ok, the staff are great and are very helpful, but dont expect 5 star luxury or you will be very disapointed."

• Travel date: Sun 23rd of April 2006

Great place to stay

Reviewed Thu 11th of October 2012

"We had a wonderful holiday, will definitely go back next year.Everyone is so friendly, both in and outside the hotel.
There is a guard on duty overlooking the beach, so you can swim etc without worrying about your belongings.
The sand does get very hot and does burn your feet even with sandals, next year will take trainers to wear on the beach.
My mobile didn't work in Goa, go to the One Stop shop, you can phone to UK very cheaply, no phone cards, they tell you how much after call. A 5 minute call to UK about £1.
You must go to MR Manolis the tailor, we had loads of clothes made very cheaply. He will copy clothes for you in silk or cotton, or you can choose from a catalogue, Next!
An excellent taxi driver is Joe,he will stay with you and tell you the best places to go.
Lots of great restaurants, John's ,Cloudis Joet's.
A gerat cafe for lunch, next door but one to Full Moon, run by Pete and his wife. Great samosas and fruit salad, about £1!
Do visit the girls in the beach shops. Do haggle and pay less than half they say!

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Jane e-mail [email protected]"

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of April 2006

What a beautiful place! This was my fir...

Reviewed Thu 19th of January 2006

"What a beautiful place! This was my first visit to India and I have been longing to go back to this resort ever since!

The resort is set in a small bay with a number of shops/bars/cafes nearby serving fresh food and seafood. The staff at the hotel and in all the nearby shops, etc were very attentive.

The resort has a wonderful laid back atmosphere and after two weeks here I did not want to go back home, the hotel pool has an ideal setting facing out to the sea and the sunsets while having dinner really cannot be beaten. There is a spa on site offering treatments at incredible prices too!

Must plan to go back soon - I told my friends and family and now they go once a year!"

• Travel date: Thu 19th of January 2006