Domed living room of 2 bedroomed Cottage C

The real Goan feeling!!!

Reviewed 21st November 2012

"Although I completelly hated it at first cos everything seemed abandoned like, there were tiles missing by the pool, and the rooms werent the cleanest . I have to say I quite enjoyed it in the end. We stayed there for 6 nights and had a lovely time. It was very simple compared to the big resorts like Hyatt and Radisson (which we also stayed later on the trip)but it was friendlier, and we discovered the real Goan feeling. There's a little village close by with some very nice restaurants (and cheap!!! around 10 pounds a meal for 2, with drinks and desert). But you have to rent a car or a motorbike as the resort is a bit far from the main places. Do try to get a scooter (talk to reception and they will arrange it for you) and go up all the way to the north beaches, It doesn't take long and its awsome. Dont forget going to go to Vagator beach,, It is beautiful!!!"

• Travel date: 3rd August 2007

Filthy!!!

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"We wished we'd read these reviews before we went to Laguna Anjuna. Thankfully we only booked for one night. The place is substandard in every way - rooms were dirty, pool needed a lot of attention, food was incredibly basic. Plus they had the cheek to charge over £100! There are loads of amazing places to stay in the area. My recommendations would be Siolim House (a bit further north) or Presi de Goa (inland from Calangute). Both were beautifully furnished, service was faultless and the food fantastic."

• Travel date: 21st February 2007

Relax and Enjoy the Feel of Goa

Reviewed 3rd November 2012

"I am not overly surprised by the reviews for Laguna Anjuna, (you will either love or hate this place), but I feel that some of the expectations of others were unrealistic, you have to remember that this is Goa. I stay in higher spec. hotels frequently on business, but found this hotel ideally suited. It does not offer 5 star luxury - however it has all that you need, a great feel with friendly staff, a relaxing pool area surrounded by tropical foliage, great service, and very good food. Sure its not spotlessly clean - but clean enough; the solar powered showers work - it just takes a while, and if a caterpillar or some frogs are going to put you off then prehaps Goa is not for you. In terms of practicalities the location is a good one - you can walk to the flea market and beach - but be careful walking at night as there isnt a lot of lighting and the local dogs can be intimidating. To sum it - its an alternative Oasis - forget the minor imperfections and enjoy."

• Travel date: 28th November 2006

charming place

Reviewed 3rd November 2012

"I stayed here with my father, husband and mother in law and we had a lovely time. If you are after a Hollywood blue swimming pool and all the creature comforts of a resort chain hotel then this place is not for you. But The Languna Anjuna was definitely our cup of tea. The staff were really friendly and there is a personal feel to this hotel. The rooms are great as they are all suites - you get two for the price of one. There is a meandering lagoon-like pool, hardly chlorinated, surrounded by lush, tropical plants and trees and plenty of birds. I heard that some guests were bothered by the caterpillars in the foliage - well if you are that type of person then again, don't come here. But if you are after somewhere charming, Indian and unusual, this is a lovely place. Very good food too. Yes, they could make a few improvements it's true but we really enjoyed staying here and the owner /manager went out of his way to be extremely helpful and made a huge effort to make things nice for us. There is an excellent doctor too who's on call and arrived to see us within 20 minutes of ringing"

• Travel date: 6th November 2006

Luguna Anjuna - The Blue Lagoon?!

Reviewed 12th November 2012

"This resort was recommended to me by a friend - all I can say that he is not a very close friend anymore! I've stayed in hotels and youth hostels all over the world and I've never ever been anywhere as bad as this! Within 10 mins of being in the room we asked to be moved to another. The rooms were dirty, damp and smelly. However, the worst part was all the insects. Yes, I kno this is India but this was crazy. The holes in the roof provide easy access and when you go to bed each night you will find your bed covered in dead flies. Pool was filthy and sunbeds were rubbish. Only upside was that the staff in the bar were quite friendly. We checked out after 2 days to move to a new hotel. Don't let this hotel ruin your paradise!"

• Travel date: 3rd November 2006

Very Goan!

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"We stayed in Laguna Anjuna November 2005. Lonely planet describes it as a top hotel in Anjuna - and compared to the hotels in the area - it is. Our room was a round room that was particularly dark, with an interesting conical ceiling. The bathroom was basic, it had a hole in the roof which we had a few birds coming through - but as it was warm we didn't care too much. the air conditioning was very noisy and old and as some of the other reviwers have mentioned - it wasn't clean by uk hotel standards. Sometimes the water wasn't hot, the bed was hard - and yes they openned our bags to take things out and make animals and people (!) on the beds. The swimming pool and grounds are lovely - but there are a few broken tiles, frogs swim in the pool at night as it's fresh water rather than chlorinated, and the service is very slow - some times 1.5 hours for a lunch/ dinner. There is contsant music which is played quite loud - usually Goan trance, but sometimes UB40 made an appearance! Laguna Anjuna is expensive, but if you can overlook the cleanliness issue in the rooms and accept it for being typically indian and laid back in style you will have a great time. The food in the restaurant is great, the staff are all really helpful if a little slow, the hotel is very well situated for the flea market which you can walk to - and the beach is within walking distance. We had a great time after we chilled out and accepted it for what it was - if you compare this hotel to a good UK hotel you will be disappointed - but go with an open mind and you'll love it."

• Travel date: 3rd October 2006

Don't believe the guidebooks - DIRTY

Reviewed 21st November 2012

"My Mum and I had booked for 5 nights at the Laguna Anjuna following to chill out at the end of our India trip on the recommendation of our Travel agent, and Alistair Sawdays Special places to Stay. We got about 8am following a flight from Bombay and the place was filthy - dark brown stained pillows in see through cover slips, miserable looking clientelle, curdled milk for breakfast. We were on the phone to our Agent within half an hour and moved (at a cost) to the Taj Holiday Village which was fabulous. In summary - don't even think about it - I'm sure the people who write the reviews have either never stayed at this hotel, or told them they were coming in advance."

• Travel date: 10th March 2006

Extremely overpriced-stay at the Siolim House instead!

Reviewed 17th October 2012

"After staying at the Siolim House for three wonderful nights we were very disappointed with the Laguna Anjuna. Whilst the garden and the swimmingpool of course is wonderful, the rooms are a lttle bit smelly (even if the place is very new...) and nothing worked. One day there was no electricity, the other no water etc...I mean, i know that Goa is in India but for more than 150 USD one would really expect something else!! I think the main problem is, that the owner does not take care of the place herself-there are about 15 staffmembers in the hotel, but none if them seemed to be very capable or to care about us to much..They were all sitting around all day long, doing nothing!! I really hope that the owner finds anothe manager who doesn't let the place go down like this!!"

• Travel date: 28th January 2006

Great Web Site, Bad Hotel.

Reviewed 12th November 2012

"Visited here in Feb 2004 and what a disappointment. The truth is similar to the other review on this hotel. It is shabby and dirty. One cannot attribute this to "India" when you have to pay the rack rates that they charge. There is potential, but there is no point staying in a hotel that has potential. Specifics:- Rooms - Dirty. Sand on the floor. No water pressure. Staff open your bags to make animal shapes on your bed. Ahem - don't go through my things! Service - Indifferent. The owner Sheena asked for a treat when my lost luggage was returned. Restaurant - At breakfast the coffee urn was empty. It took 30 minutes for it to be replaced. Dinners were good! Facilities - Minimal. Close to beach - No. To top it off for us, the hotel was over-run by the filming of a Bollywood movie. This made the hotel and it's much advertised pool unusable during the day. In summary, we stayed in this so-called boutique hotel and did not use the pool once. Would it not be basic hotel courteousy to advise guests at the time of booking that when they are staying, they will be disturbed by the making of a film! NO!!! The concept of the hotel is relaxed and lazy days. This should be the guests and NOT the staff! A few months later my fiance (now wife) and I went to Nilaya Hermitage. Save your money and go here. Spectactular and great service."

• Travel date: 4th October 2005

Laid back but less than clean.

Reviewed 12th October 2012

"We stayed here in November 2004. The website promised more than it delivered. The hotel was not without its charms but it was nothing like the slick video depicted at Goa airport. Frankly, our room could have done with a good clean, a good floor polish and more than a lick of paint. Service was laid back and unhurried. Lots of things, including fruit at breakfast, the solar heated hot water and toilet paper had to be requested. sometimes 48 hours in advance. The airconditioning was noisy and lots of scrap units littered the hotel. The sun loungers were past their best. The menu reads like a Paris restaurant, but that is where the resemblance ends. On the plus side checkout is unhurried, the pool is great and the staff laid back. I am not saying don't stay here but rather be aware of what you are getting. Some people have said that they really enjoyed its laid back atmosphere. This hotel has potential but for me 1* or 5*, I like things to be clean and I like a website to be truthful. We won't be returning. I sincerely hope, for future guests, that it it has been refurbished since we stayed there. It was in dire need."

• Travel date: 30th June 2005