Exterior

Standard Western Hotel

Reviewed 17th November 2012

"Taxi from airport is about 5TND, add 50% for very early or late journeys. Town centre is about 5TND also. Taxi's are very easy to find anywhere - just hail them on the street. Hotel is big and quiet. Has good business centre and foyer. Rooms are good, most with a view over Tunis (hotel is at top of hill overlooking town). Breakfast is the only let-down. Most of the hot food is cold and the staff don't come round with tea/coffee quick enough or clear tables quick enough. Would be happy to stay again. WIFI is slow and unreliable. I used the mobile data card in my laptop most of the time - which is only GPRS (no 3G)."

• Travel date: 25th July 2009

mixed

Reviewed 9th November 2012

"We were at the Sheraton with a large tour group so the check-in, etc was handled well. We were there for 3 nights. It is a large hotel in a style which could be anywhere in the world. Since it is located on a hill blocks away from anything in Tunis I didn't really feel I was in Tunisia. The pool is wonderful. The spa is nice. The internet access good. The buffet food was not the best I had in Tunisia, but not the worst either. Service there was spotty - sometimes attentive, but mostly not. Our room was very comfortable and had a great view of the city but I would have rather been in the city. it is handy to and from the airport. If you are American, and this is your first trip to another country this is a very good place to start, get comfortable, and ease into that new country."

• Travel date: 7th June 2009

Good hotel, at least when traveling with a tour group

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"We traveled with Cosmos tours for a week long tour of Tunisia. We stayed in this hotel the first night and the last two nights. Our tour guide handled the check-in-check-out stuff, so I can not comment on that. The hotel buffet was a little pricey, but the food was good and the waitstaff very nice. My Husband enjoyed the hotel pool. I thought the view from our room was excellent. Overall I thought the hotel was nice. My advice though is if you want to travel in Tunisia, particulary as an American Tourist who doesn't speak any French, take a tour and let your tour guide worry about the annoying travel hassels!"

• Travel date: 3rd June 2009

The worst hotel i have ever been

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"It is the worst hotel i have ever been. The service is terrible. Although I confirmed my reservation when I arrived to the hotel (at 1am) they said thet they gave my room to somebodys else because hotek was overbooked. They put me to some run down hotel and the Sheraton car was a kind of old filthy miniwan;-((((( As a Platinum SPG member i have never been treated like this. Avoid this hotel if you can."

• Travel date: 30th December 2008

Best of the bunch

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"Stayed at this hotel at the end of a coach tour of Tunisia. it was certainly the "Best of the bunch". The rooms were very comfortable and the hotel staff were very friendly. When I say the "Bunch" I refer to the other hotlels on the tour all 4 & 5 star. The only complaint would be that at the hotel reception it was obvious that the hotel was used by many airline flight staff. As soon as a Captain or flight crew came to the desk you were ignored and became invisible. We had heard that the hotel would try to add to your bill items from the mini bar you had not used. This was not the case."

• Travel date: 18th November 2008

Sheraton - predictable but safe choice!

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"A classic Sheraton - somewhat dated but good security and a reasonable location, albeit on a hill and you have to take a taxi to get around the city. The rooms are a tad dated (those 1980s white marble bathroom tiles are showing their age). The towels were a a little treadbare and slightly greying, but its a Sheraton and it does what it says on the box - a reliable name to book for the business traveller. Huge lobby with the usual shops and Abaresque decor. Tea and coffee delivered to the room for less than a dollar - a novel touch. BBC World available for news junkies like me."

• Travel date: 18th July 2008

Splendid

Reviewed 2nd November 2012

"They upgraded my room to one with a huge balcony, bathroom, shower etc. It was very clean, the staff was extremely friendly and it was great value for the price I paid. Definitely would consider staying here again."

• Travel date: 28th May 2008

Very impressed

Reviewed 9th November 2012

"I have been extremely impressed with the level of service received atthe Sheraton Tunis (former Tunis Hilton). The lady who checked us in made sure we got upgraded to a suite to accomodate my children traveling with me. She further arranged to have my jacket that I forgot at the Sheraton Hammamet sent to the hotel the same day, saving me the trip back. The cleaning lady was equally concerned about our comfort, which is a rare experience. The setting is excellent, we did not take the time to check out the indoor/outdoor pool but it looked very nice too. Overall a short, but very pleasant stay."

• Travel date: 2nd May 2006

A true change for the better

Reviewed 2nd November 2012

"A Good hotel made even greater by competitors substandard conditions.I regularly travel to and from Tunisia and have stayed in many of its hotels and one common trait all the hotels share is the low level of committment to good service and the hotel staff's resiliance against upkeeping good manners when dealing with guests. Having said all this i am glad to see Sheraton's flag hoisted up high in this capital assuring great service to weary travellers in a city in desperate need of a touristic je nai sais quoi. This hotel was once owned by hilton who managed to run it to the ground and nearly made it a national heritage because of their lack of renovation. To cut this story short this sheraton is a godsend to people who need to reside near the centre, offering great service and enforced by a strong and clear managerial structure."

• Travel date: 25th November 2005