The Standard Room at the Carlton Hotel Tunis

• shops amenities
  • telephone
  • italian amenities
  • soundproof rooms
  • wake up service alarm clock
  • desk
  • complimentary toiletries
  • paid private parking on site

Good

Physical extortion by hotel staff - diarrhea from breakfast - dishonest management - no internet service for weeks

Reviewed 28th September 2012

"I have never felt compelled to write a review about a hotel before, but a physical threat on my safety by hotel staff compels it. After speaking with the manager and exiting the hotel I was physically stopped by 3 Tunisian Carlton Hotel employees. My calls for police went unheard. One of the men took my bag and the other 2 physically escorted me back into the hotel to extort cash from me. I had already paid for my room online and had a receipt to show for it. I had spoken with the manager, Anise a tall kind dark skinned man that had offered me a refund. The workers were apparently unable to reach the manager and would not let me leave the building without paying... cash for a room I had already paid for. I had previously complained twice to the manager Anise about the TOTAL LACK OF INTERNET SERVICE despite every piece of promotional material talking about their internet service. He promised me that their service would be functional in 1 hour and it was not. Speaking with people informally, this hotel has not had internet service FOR WEEKS ! It was their understanding that the hotel has not paid it's internet bills and management is apparently hoping that people won't care. In addition, their breakfast is unsanitary. All I've eaten in the past 12 hours has been their breakfast. My stomach and bowels are in significant pain with significant diarrhea all day long. I believe it was the juice made from concentrate with non-bottled tap water. Problems with this hotel.... 1) Physical extortion by hotel staff 2) Breakfast causing all day diarrhea 3) False advertising 4) Management dishonesty towards guests 5) No Internet Service Do yourself a favor and stay away at all costs."

• Travel date: 28th September 2012

Carlton: Great location, nice rooms - & some more advice on Tunis

Reviewed 26th December 2012

"I was interning in Tunis and my research center put me up here for a few days. The hotel is extremely decent - TV (only a few channels, but that's pretty typical), nice bathroom, comfortable bed, and the breakfast was one of the better ones I've had traveling in Europe and North Africa. (Yogurt, cereal, baguette, meat cuts, cheese, pastries - Mix the coffee with a bit of milk & chocolate powder, it's delicious!) The location is definitely excellent - right on the main avenue. The desk staff speaks French and English (if you don't speak Arabic) and they are pretty welcoming. You can request to be picked up at the airport for 10 Tunisian dinars (about 7 to 8 US dollars), therefore avoiding a shameless cab driver charging you an exorbitant rate. WORD OF WARNING: The prices listed for everything has THREE DECIMAL PLACES after the point. Therefore, a cab ride that costs 2.500 dinars is 2 dinar and 500 millimes (their change is just divided into thousands, while US dollars are divided into hundreds - e.g., ninety-cents US is equivalent to 900 millimes Tunisian). Just make sure you don't give the cab drive 25 dinars for a cab ride listed as 2.500 dinars. Overall, I'd certainly recommend this hotel, though you should do some web surfing to see if you can get a better price. Prices are lower in Tunisia compared to Europe and the US, though please remember to buy discreetly - for most Tunisians, who make an average of 250 dinar a month, dropping 30 or so dinar on some trinket they find in the medina is a huge expenditure. Overall the location of this hotel is really stellar; turn right when you exit the hotel and you will walk straight to the "Porte de France" - the door of France. Walk through and prepared to be hassled by men speaking broken, inappropriate English, selling their wares. If you learn a few Arabic words (As-sahlammah = hello, Shuh-krun = thank you), they'll stop being so obnoxious. It's all part of the game, but a little Arabic and they'll be impressed that you learned a bit of their language - they might even give you some real advice about what to buy. Beware of the Medina on the weekends - it's packed. Enjoy!! & please feel free to email me with any questions... I spent a few months in Tunis and traveling to the South, and really loved it."

• Travel date: 15th April 2007

Great location, ok hotel

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"Wonderfully situated and good value. Reception is a long and narrow corridor with a lift at the back. Staff are consistently 'correct' but never smiling or friendly and made no effort to help us out with tips or recommendations. They do all speak French very well and I think English too. Our room was at the back so it looked out onto a dodgy looking lane, but it was relatively quiet - don't go to Tunis if you need five star comfort and can't stand noise or hassle. The room was clean, the bathroom too but only towels and two small soaps provided so make sure you don't forget any toiletries. Good choice of TV stations in French and Arabic plus BBC News, a Russian and Chinese station. There was a remote control (so perhaps the makeover an earlier guest mentioned has finished). Breakfast was a real let down. They never seemed to have enough of anything : not enough eggs one day, not enough cake the next. When they run out of cups or glasses and you have to ask for one, they bring out exactly that - one cup or glass, so the next person has to ask again. They've never heard of a teatowel as the glasses were always wet. They try to offer hard-boiled eggs, which one day were very undercooked, tomato and cucumber, cream cheese, ratatouille, good bread, poor pastries, madeira cake and once or twice we saw yoghurts. I steered clear of the tomato and cucumber as, on our first day, they were semi-frozen. Had they been frozen since the day before or just kept in a fridge that was set too high? I didn't want to take any risks. Orange juice was a sickly oversweet orangeade. To sum up : top marks for the location and price. Average for the room. Poor welcome at reception. Breakfast very disappointing. By European standards it's a two-star hotel."

• Travel date: 16th March 2007

Good value in ideal location

Reviewed 4th December 2012

"Although the room was clean but basic and the air conditioning outside noisy (we had a room at the back to avoid street noise), you can't fault this hotel for value for money. It's situated right on the main shopping street, and just 15 minutes walk from the rail link to Carthage in one direction, or the Souk in the other. The staff are incredibly helpful, seem to speak a multitude of languages and have a sense of humour. The restaurant sells no alcohol, but that seems to be the norm in Tunis."

• Travel date: 6th December 2006

Great Service

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"Aftyer arriving in Tunis in the dead of night and finding our original hotel choice unacceptable (at Hotel Transatlantique we were greeted by a surly staff which I can handle, but the hundreds of cockroaches in the room I would not bear), we hurried to the Hotel Carlton, listed in the Lonely Planet guide as a good choice. The staff is very friendly and helpful, and the rooms are clean, have CNN and hot running water, and a good amount of toilet paper(seems to be a luxury in this country!). The hotel offers a breakfast buffet which is pretty good and the hotel itself it located right in the heart of the city- nearby boutiques, cafes and great restaurants. And the medina is only a 5-minute walk away! We spent 3 nights on our way into Tunisa and 3 nights on our way out at that hotel. Will definitely stay there again."

• Travel date: 26th September 2006

Great value, friendly staff!

Reviewed 27th December 2012

"We stayed for two nights at the Carlton Hotel in Tunis. The rooms were immaculately clean, cleaner than any of the resorts we stayed at in the beach towns. The staff was incredibly friendly and would joke and laugh with us when we passed through. An added bonus is that at the end of the block is the world's best patisserie, The Sweet House, and it has beautiful, delicious, and inexpensive gourmet pastries! It's a great value."

• Travel date: 14th July 2006

Nothing Special

Reviewed 26th December 2012

"This place has lots of advocates elsewhere online and publishes it's own plaudits on it's website. It's a great location right on the main drag and it's not too pricey but that's about it. Rooms drab and on the small side, TV a bit on the dodgy side and no remote- I understand they're having a refit and it does need a bit of a spruce. Worst thing is the noise - of the street, the plumbing, and of adajcent rooms. Not good if you're in need of a peaceful night"

• Travel date: 11th July 2006

One of the nicest hotels in Tunis center.

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"One of my favorite old world hotel in Tunisia. Centrally located, with excellent hotel staff and services. Modest size room but fully equiped (including WI-FI access)"

• Travel date: 29th June 2006

Very poor booking/reservation service

Reviewed 4th December 2012

"I called the Carlton Hotel on the 21th evening to book for the 23rd (3 adults): The person who answered the phone said he don't know anything regarding the room availability and better call the next day after 8:30. Next day (22nd) a lady informed me there are many rooms available (with quotes) I needed just to fax my details in. One hour later (11:00am) I call again to have a confirmation at least by phone perhaps a reference number: Nobody knew, the new person wanted me to call in the next 15mn. 30 mn later the reply was: no fax found, the hotel is fully booked anyway!!!!!"

• Travel date: 21st May 2006

Fine if you enjoy dirty rooms and poor service

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"After spending a couple of nights in this place I was ready to go leave the country. The rooms were dirty and smelly. I had to negotiate for 10 minutes to get a remote control for the miniscule TV in the room. If you are looking for a cheap hotel with a convenient location, and cleanliness is not on the top of your priorities this is the hotel for you."

• Travel date: 10th October 2005

mixed feelings

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"We arrived at the Carlton late in the evening and our first impression could have not been better. From outside the hotel looked grand with its white period facade lit up, like a big layer cake of meringue. Once inside, the entrance-reception was small but nice, and the staff seemed friendly. The wow factor was soon to disappear though. Our room was alright, if rather basic and plain. Unfortunately the air con unit would not work and, to make things worse, the room looked onto an alley at the back of the building with a bar right opposite playing music at full blast. No chance of sleeping with the window open, so we asked to be moved, which was done straight away. Extra points to the staff for their quick response. Our new room was identical to the first one, but looking onto a small inner courtyard and therefore reasonably quiet. The air con unit worked smoothly, but unfortunately our beds were rock hard and squeaky, which meant my friend and I kept waking up every time one of us moved. The bathroom looked rather shabby, with rusty taps, cracked tiles and patchy plaster work throughout. There also seemed to be some kind of problem with the pipes, as the bathroom floor would invariably get flooded every time we emptied the bathtub after a bath. But the worst had to be the new little friends we met at the hotel. After our first night we found a cockroach crawling around the desk in the bedroom, and on the second night we spotted another one roaming around the bathroom floor. We found this rather bizarre, as the hotel was otherwise spotless."

• Travel date: 3rd October 2005

Hotels near Carlton Hotel Tunis

Top traveller tips for Carlton Hotel Tunis

• by Champagnebackpacker

"Do not stay here under any circumstances"

Carlton Hotel Tunis is also called