Great location - shame it does not live up to its 5 star status

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"I stayed in this hotel for 6 nights over December 2008. The hotel is a 5 star hotel but should be defined as 3-4 stars only.

From the airport: It should cost about 5 -8 dinars from a yellow cab ouside the airport. Do not let the taxi fleece you. I got fleeced for 25 dinars ( arriving at 12:30 in the morning). The journey should take 10 minutes in easy traffic ( 15 minutes tops- but no more). Make sure the taxi driver turns on the meter.

Location:

The hotel is located on one of the most famous roads in Tunis. In fact it is located ( my opinion) on one of the nicest roads in Tunis. Tree lined and full of shops and cafes. plenty of pavement cafes but it appears 80% of these are filled with men. It appears women do not sit outside cafes. This road is "exclusive" but do not expect any exclusive / upper end shops. The only "branded "store is Bennetons. The street is paved with cafes and is lively and bustling in the day time. Numerous tabbaconists selling water, cigarettes etc. The Tunisian men do like to chain smoke.

Medina is 10 minutes walk away - coming out of the hotel turn left for the medina and "tunis station" and turn right (walk for 10 minutes - pass the infamous flyover) for the coastal train to Sidi Bou Said and La Marsa.

There is a Monoprix ( i.e. a supermarket) about 5 minutes walk away stocks shampoo to wine to fresh bread etc so if you forget your toothbrush you can get one there.

The lobby:

The lobby is a good size. Very big and spacious and thats about it. It is very functional with not much substance - Too clinical for my liking, however clean but bland. lots of yellow leather sofas to sit on after a hard days sightseeing. The lobby also houses a small room called the business centre which houses about 6 computers. Costs 10 dinars for 1 hour of internet use. Very expensive. Be warned the keyboards used are not "qwerty" keyboards so gets a little used to - start by tapping out the words with one finger.

Be warned - the hotel does not provide you with brochures / sightseeing excursions. Upon arrival you do get a map from the front desk staff of the City of Tunis. There is a tourist office about 5 minutes walk. ( cant remember the road but it is past the flyover ). you know when you get there.

Hotel Africa Cafe

This pavement cafe sits next door to the hotel and is great for pattiseries and coffee. Be warned if you are like me from a banned indoor smoking country - lets say Hotel Africa Cafe gets pretty smokey inside.

The staff:

I have read other comments about the staff and have to agree. The staff are not what i call rude but they all lacked a certain professionalism that should pertain to a 5 star hotel. When I asked for advice the men would talk abruptly and could not answer my questions. Not one for paranoia but you could see they were whispering and laughing about you in arabic. I found the staff generally not smiley enough, unprofessional and the female staff very "giggly".

My room

Nice fruit basket when I entered the room -ours was free. Dates and little oranges were very popular in Tunis.

I stayed in a twin double superior. It was clean and fairly spacious. usual look of a three star room. Please note, do not expect fluffy slippers or bathrobe. No kettle ( we love to take our own herbal teas) and no DVD player. TV is not plasma. Has a mini bar and your standard safe.

Carpets are stained in places. Beds are made every day but I do not think the floors are cleaned or tables dusted. If they are dusted then it is a fairly laissez faire approach.

Nice tiled bahroom good size - face value it looks sparkling but not clean enough. Chambermaids must look under the bar handles attach to the bath for mould! same goes for under the taps attached to the sink. Handles are where thousands of hands have touched. Taps are where thousands of mouths have touched for rinsing mouths. Please note we found the general drinking water in Tunis salty.

My room overlooked the main street - surprisingly quiet. Good windows!

Breakfast:

Could not tell you about breakfast. Did not have any.

Overall: a good clinical stay but do not expect too much from this hotel and only then will you enjoy your stay.

I probably would reccommend this hotel for location only.

I was trying to search for this hotel under Africa Hotel on the internet but nothing came up turns out the hotel is under the El Mouradi name. So try searching for the hotel under this name."

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of January 2009

Neutral stay

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"Rooms is very clean, well furnished, service are good. but the hotel is more suitable to business travels, not a honeymooners. the view is not that good, no swimming pool.
at the other side the best thing about this hotel is the location, it's in the city center " habib bou regeiba str." where you can find cafes, reastuarnts, shopping...but anyway shopping in Tunis is not facinating at all."

• Travel date: Thu 11th of December 2008

poor service

Reviewed Sun 3rd of February 2013

"The services is poor, the hotel is Ok but certainly not a 5 star,

The internet and the restaurant are high in price"

• Travel date: Mon 10th of November 2008

rated "5" star, but "3" by American standards

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"I have stayed at this hotel twice. Once in April 2006 and once in July 2007. I travel to Tunis for business. The Hotel Africa is one of the best, if not the best, hotel in Tunis, according to the staff of our office there. By American standards its probably a three star hotel. It is clean and safe. The rooms are fairly modern. The hotel itself has two restaurants and a bar. The bar was nice after meetings all day to sit and have a drink. There's also a little "cafe" type place where you can get coffees or teas. Overall, it's a nice place but I would not rate it more than 3 star quality. There's no gym, pool or other amenties of that type. But I realize it's Tunisia, not America..."

• Travel date: Wed 18th of June 2008

A Good Pick For Tunis

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"This centrally located hotel is within walking distance from Medina .It is clean and the staff is friendly and efficient especially for the french-speaking.The restaurant offers a wide variety of both local and international dishes and desserts.The rooms are quite big and well furnished."

• Travel date: Sat 8th of March 2008

Hmmm...OK I guess

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"Not the worst but certainly not the best hotel in the world. One of the best in Tunis no doubt and in a good location. But the service was pretty shoddy."

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of August 2007

medium 5* hotel

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"To be a 5* hotel they have to do much more!!!
The room had space, but the furniture needs to be improoved
Bathroom was ok, but without anything special for a 5*.
I was on a 23rd floor.. nice view over the city..but it's not enough...

Restaurant ( self service) was ok. Nice choice and the price (35dt) was very good.

Frontdesk personnel need to be improoved. They have been, in some moments, rude. They are not friendly.

If I need to go back in Tunis I'll search for a new 5* hotel. Only if I can't get another one i'll stay in this one.

I paid 200dt ( around 140euros)...it wasn't cheap for the service"

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of July 2007

very disappointing

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"I stayed at the Africa on a 5 day business trip in March of 2005. It is one of the most expensive hotels in the city and I think the only one with 5 stars.

It is not a 5 star hotel. The location is great and the room was what you would expect for such a rating, but the service was terrible. The reception staff were snidy and unhelpful. They put on an appearance of courtesy, but always seemed to be mocking you, or despising you for being a Westerner. One employee kindly offered to send a fruit platter to my room "on the house," only to be told, when the platter arrived, that it was a "joke"--it wasn't free after all. I was deliberately given wrong directions to sites--they seemed to think that that was funny. One evening, after having had to wait 45 minutes for a room-serviced bowl of soup, I decided to go down to get my cup of tea directly from the bar. The barman gave me the teapot filled with tea and told me I should get room service to provide me with the cup!! And he had a dozen of them lined up in front of him! Their complete lack of professionalism or basic courtesy--never mind business sense--was mind-boggling. Never again."

• Travel date: Thu 15th of June 2006

Lovely hotel but not really 5 star

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"The Africa is clean and very comfortable and the room we had was large and very quiet consdering the hotel is on the main street. Room service was good and the breakfast choices enormous, even if unfamiliar to the European taste.
But the hotel lacks any extras such as a gym and a pool which one would expect from a 5 star hotel. There were no English newspapers in the lobby and the staff found our English hard to understand so we ended up speaking to them in French. I would also have liked to see some leaflets in the lobby advertising the various sights. We saw a Hotel Africa tour bus at Carthage but had no idea that they arranged trips there.
We got a good rate on Octopus (about £80 a night) and really enjoyed our stay in a fascinating city. We weren't diappointed with the hotel but just a few little things could make it better (e.g. having smoking and non-smoking areas in the breakfast restaurant)"

• Travel date: Mon 9th of May 2005

ok

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"The hotel is in the hart of the town.
Classic hotel, clean, but one problem; the air conditionner doesn't work until when ??
Little beat expensive (200 Dinard 150 dollar)

Ther's no swiming pool"