This hotel is now closed.

Hotels near Sousse Palace Hotel

Good

Not what we were looking for,

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"When we arrived at the sousse palace it looked like a closed down cinema. We arrived at the sousse palace at about 10:30 at night and my daughter was hungry so we asked if the had any food , instead of saying no they took us out in the middle of this ghostown to an old bakery where there were people on the floor begging for money for 'hasheesh' , that was about an hours walk away. There was only about 10 people in the whole hotel.

The restaurant in the hotel was very small and the food was extremely basic , so we lived on bread for two days , after two days us and another english family decided we wanted to leave, so we found a much better hotel in Port El Kantoui . If you have young children or teenagers dont go to the sousse palace because it is very very cultured and so is the whole area. Although if you want to see real Tunisia the please go to the Sousse Palace."

• Travel date: Sun 15th of July 2007

Not a good choice!

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"This hotel was one of the worst I have stayed in. The only good points I can give it was that the room was clean (looked as though it had been recently redecorated) - however, the pillows on the bed were like rocks and we had to ask for them to be replaced - the sea view was excellent and the location of the hotel for shopping in the medina is first rate. The food was very bland and very little choice (I am well used to the standard "German" buffet but I struggled most nights to find something to feed my 5 year old that was not a carbohydrate). I have never stayed in a "four star" hotel before and been expected to pay for the sunbed cushion by the pool (AND the sunbed on the private beach). The "private" beach was part of a much larger beach but the local teenagers insisted on playing football/volleyball right in front of the sunbeds so you were in constant threat of a ball landing on you. The entertainment was virtually non-existent. There would be a board outside the restaurant every couple of days stating what "show" was on in the bar that evening commencing at 9 pm. If you could even find a seat in the bar by 9 pm (which was virtually impossible due to it being full of locals) you would wait until at least 9.30/9.45 before the entertainment even started (by which time obviously my little one was too tired/bored to wait any longer). And if you sat in the bar to watch you were expected to purchase a drink whether you wanted one or not. Kids entertainment was completely non-existent. There is supposedly a kids club but it was just an unstaffed bare room. There was a small climbing frame/slide for little ones but it was very unstable and seemed to be sited next to a wasps nest! The reception staff were extremely unhelpful - we were trying to get to El Jem for a sightseeing trip and I consulted the train timetable that was laid out on Reception, only for the receptionist to tell us that the train we were hoping to catch did not run and we should get a taxi (a 160 dinar round trip). We then went up to the train station to check and yes, that train did run, so whether they have some "arrangement" with a local taxi driver I don't know. Finally, my daughter mistakenly left her Nintendo DS under the sunbed by the pool on our first day and in the time it took to go up to the room, find out it was missing and go back down to the pool, our sunbeds had been moved and not surprisingly the DS had gone. My husband then questioned the guy who worked around the pool, and although he described the DS perfectly to my husband (before my husband had even told him what was missing) he denied he had ever seen it - somewhat unlikely I think!

I would never stay in this hotel again - I would prefer to stay in the very basic three star we used last year."

• Travel date: Sun 10th of June 2007

This hotel was one of the worst I have s...

Reviewed Fri 1st of June 2007

"This hotel was one of the worst I have stayed in.

The only good points I can give it was that the room was clean (looked as though it had been recently redecorated) - however, the pillows on the bed were like rocks and we had to ask for them to be replaced.

The sea view was excellent and the location of the hotel for shopping in the medina is first rate.

And if you sat in the bar to watch you were expected to purchase a drink whether you wanted one or not. Kid’s entertainment was completely non-existent.

Finally, my daughter mistakenly left her Nintendo DS under the sunbed by the pool on our first day and in the time it took to go up to the room, find out it was missing and go back down to the pool, our sunbeds had been moved, and not surprisingly the DS had gone. My husband then questioned the guy who worked around the pool, and although he described the DS perfectly to my husband (before my husband had even told him what was missing) he denied he had ever seen it - somewhat unlikely I think!

• Travel date: Fri 1st of June 2007

To avoid!

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"I'm not sure what the others liked about this hotel but I don't think they have any idea of what is available just up the road, say, at the Abou Nawas, or even further away at Port El Kantaoui. This hotel is pure rubbish! The rooms are big OK - fine, the view is overlooking the beach - nice. But the hotel exudes a sense of past glory from every corner - the furnishings, the rusting fixtures around the pool etc. The restaurant was the major let down. The food was disgusting and my wife and I could barely get ourselves to eat anything. You can't go to Tunisia and lose weight! Again check out the other hotels for the real buffet restaurants! Not to speak of the cracked restaurant roof, smell of sewage outside the door, hard beds and elevator stinking of stale urine. On the other hand, all the staff were very nice thoughout our short stay there and did not make us feel embarassed in the least when we asked to be moved to Diar El Andalous in Port El Kantaoui."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of April 2007

Smack in the centre

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"My wife & I have just returned from 2 weeks in the Sousse Palace Hotel, I agree with the Oslo reviewer about the rubbish etc. it's just the way it is. We paid a cheap price ( £197 for the two of us Half Board) for our twin room & I think that is why we were tucked away with a balcony facing a street while most people had pool or beach views. Big clean room with toilet separate from the bath/shower. Main food course typical Tunisian ( we have been here before ) not for picky? eaters, strange cuts of meat including Rabbit. The fresh bread - Soups & desserts were excellent. Weather mixed cold at night 7 sunny days from 14. You cannot get a better location a real working town warts & all not like Port El Kantoui a purpose built tourist pretend Tunisia."

• Travel date: Tue 27th of March 2007

Unbelievable

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"The hotel is very run down, many of the guests are long stay Germans who go to bed early and do not see what the hotel is like after dark. The rooms allocated to us were large quite clean and overlooking the sea, unfortunately these were reached through corridors with stained carpets. The food in the hotel was poor to say the least, everything was stewed and unidentifiable. At night the hotel is frequented by locals who would be better suited to the red light district of Amsterdam, pimps openly plying the trade on offer. Mangement stated that they make more money through the clients using the Cabaret than they do renting out the rooms. We used the back entrance at all times and ate out at local Tunisian restaurants which as always provide excellent value for money. I have travelled to Tunisia for over fifteen years and have never stayed in such a terrible hotel."

• Travel date: Wed 7th of March 2007

It is africa

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"I visited that hotel in septemeber 2006. We decided to travel to north africa, it is not hawaii, thus i was prepeared for any striking surprises. The location is perfecet, just few minutes walk from the old town and the main attractions, in front of the isolated beach. However, africa remains africa, and the standards in comparisson with other parts of the world are not so high. Rooms were very much average as well as the service. I was not surprised to see cats running nor waste in the bushes which grow just outside the fence. It might have been a little bit cleaner as well as corridors were veru dirty as well the windows. The beach was not clean either. However, you should not be surprised to see all that if you choose to travel to tunisia, as other even 5 star hotels are not better by any means, with even worse service and facilities. What was the most fascinating is the view to the sea for which you should pay a little bit extra =8/9 dollars a night/ However it is worth of spending money as it is to hear the noise of the sea rather than of the fierce morning traffic in the center of the buzzling city, as well to stay on the 2 floor and just few seconds walk from the pool. if you do not pay extra, you will be accomodated on the 7-12 floors with the very, very, very slof luifts.(approx 3 minutes) so you should take all
the amunition with you. Food is quite good there, lobby could be defined as being a sightseeing, really fashionable, in the arabian style. If i travel to tunisia again, i will definately choose this hotel, as souuse is the city of entertainment, night clubs, other resorts are quite boring and more for a family visit. There is no better hotel than sousse palace in the city. the location of oher hotels is not good, ranging from 3 to 6 km to the center of the resort, and those hotels which are located near the center are separated from the beach by the intense highway, not very comfortable at all and do not have their own beaches, and the beaches are extremely ditry (plastic bags, bottles...) with lots of local youth, which creates all that. The night life is the best in tunisia, however is might be better. Sousse palace has its own so called disco with the dj, but few people attend it, and it finished very early indeed. when i was there 10 of us were there, 5 of them of my company. Pool is average in size, quite good. The territory is very safe with the green grass, pleasand. just few meters outside the territory lots of waste can lie for months. It is Africa, not europe, not america. According to the tunisian standrads i woulg give 5 stras to this hotel, according to the intranational 2,5-3 stars. If you want to experience something new, and to experience the routine life of the locals, arabian nightlife and great culture combinig with warm sea, yoy should come to sousse palace, if you seek luxury, i would recommend to stay away or to consult your travel agent about the best hotel in tunisia, i personally hve not seen worth of 5 star hotels there. Sousse palace is the best!!!! That is my opinion.

Norway"

• Travel date: Tue 6th of March 2007

Not the best hotel in Souse but not a bad hotel

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"We stayed at this hotel in September/October 2006. Sousse was a bit of a dissapointment, it's a port town, a bit like a sunny version of Grimsby, I my opinion Hammamet and Port el Kantoui are much better than Sousse. On arrival at the hotel our first impressions were quite good, the reception area is adjacent to the bar and is quite grand and impressive. The reception staff were ok but they seem to cater primarily to the Germans and French and few of the reception staff spoke English. Our room was on the sea front (we paid extra for this) and although pretty basic it was quite big and did have a sea front balcony. The TV did not have any english speaking channels other than CNN but hey this is North Africa so what should we expect. The room was cleaned well everyday by a lovely polite, cheerful, friendly maid, the guy at the beach bar was good to but the waiters were a miserable surly bunch and I had to ask for my change from one who thought he could automatically keep it as a tip. We only had breakfast at the hotel and that was plentiful but may not be to the taste of most Britains, cold meats and salad for breakfast but we gorged on the pastries and definately did not go hungry. One real peeve here though was that you have to use the same table everyday and the Germans and French bagged all the good ones on the first day. Another dissappontment is the beach, its not good. On one side about 100m away is the port and this is more Grimsby than Monaco and on the other side is a derelict area. No ashtrays are provided for smokers who therefore just stub thier cigarettes into the sand, the staff then rake those buts into the sand everyday and the result is not nice, you need to use a sun lounger to keep you off the sand-cigarrette butts and you get charged extra for those. Overall we were quite happy with the hotel because we did not pay too much to stay there, The hotel is ok, the location is not too good and the beach is pretty poor but I would say its ok if you are on a tight budget but be aware that its a long way off being a quality hotel in a quality location."

• Travel date: Sat 20th of January 2007

I booked the hotel for an excellent pric...

Reviewed Fri 19th of January 2007

"I booked the hotel for an excellent price through Lowcostbeds but emailed the hotel before I arrived as I had a late flight and wanted to ensure they had my reservation.

When I arrived I was greeted warmly and given a very welcome complimentary cold drink. I asked where my room was situated and was asked where I wanted to be - a sea view room was then offered. The room was very nice with the most comfortable beds and pillows I've ever had in Tunisia. Good sized bathroom with toiletries and a hair dryer and a separate toilet. There was a TV at no extra charge and a fridge and safe you had to pay for, though I didn't bother. Decent balcony overlooking the sea.

The food was quite reasonable in the restaurant but in the outside snack bar it was excellent. Plenty of choice for the evening meal and always icecream for dessert as well as the usual cakes and pastries. Breakfasts were mainly eggs, various breads, croissants, cheeses and meats but unfortunately the tea was ghastly and if I go again I'll take my own teabags. All the staff were very friendly.

The main bar in reception is rather dim as there are no windows, though there is an enormous chandelier in the middle and there are lots of seats nicely grouped. There is a very nice pool and it actually did look exactly like it does on their website.

The hotel is ideally situated in that it is right on the beach but very near the main town with the Medina and all the shops and train and bus stations. Entertainment was sparse but as another tour operator uses the hotel to stage their "reps' show" I was able to enjoy that free.

I would be happy to stay there again but unfortunately at present the price reflects its 4* rating."

• Travel date: Fri 19th of January 2007

We arrived at midnight and found that we...

Reviewed Thu 11th of January 2007

"We arrived at midnight and found that we were not even booked into the hotel that we picked.

The hotel could not get rid of us quick enough and they sent us away in the same taxi that we had arrived in. They told us since we were English that we would enjoy the hotel we were sent to, it was appalling.

The beds were not made, the rooms were full of rubbish, there was a building site outside the window and we found the staff very rude and unhelpful.

After a discussion the next day we were moved back to our chosen hotel the Sousse Palace which was not much better.

The reception staff again were very rude, our room was situated over a disco within the hotel that went on until 3am every morning and the hotel overlooked a building that was being used as a squat!

It was probably Tunisia's answer to Faulty Towers. On return we complained to the holiday company in question.

I would strongly advise people to steer clear of this company and stick to a large company who look after your interests."

• Travel date: Thu 11th of January 2007

Terrible!!!

Reviewed Sat 13th of October 2012

"This was an awful hotel and is in no way a 4 star property, not even by Tunisian standards. We left the hotel early and checked into another hotel because it was that bad.

One of the hotel lifts was out of action for the whole time we stayed there, the 'gym' and it's equipment was antiquated, the sauna didn't work, the jacuzzi had not water in it, many of the corridors were in total darkness (including one of the ones to our room and the gym), our 9th floor terrace balcony was loose, patio door didn't close (told not to make a fuss by hotel manager about this as we had heat in the room) radio didn't work, telephone didn't work, dirty hallway and lift carpets, glasses left on the table before a 2 day trip was still there when we came back, food was repetitive and of poor quality....

Anyway, we complained on several occasions to the hotel staff about some of these issues, but just gave up and walked out in the end.

Definately not recommended."

• Travel date: Fri 5th of January 2007

surprisingly nice!

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"We spent 2 nights at the Sousse Palace with half board, a really good value. Our non-smoking room faced the sea, it was large with a lovely big bathroom and separate toilet room. It was a bit like a Holiday Inn, but very nice and comfortable. Beds and pillows were quite firm. Very good water pressure. The breakfast buffet had everything you'd like, but you had to pay extra for real orange juice. The dinner buffet was huge, and would please vegetarians and meat eaters alike. They had evening entertainment, but we were so tired at night we never saw any of it. Wine and beer were inexpensive and served at dinner and at the large bar. Our room was very clean, and daily service was excellent. It was just a couple of blocks from the medina, which was fun for shopping and seeing the very old sights and museum. The hotel was just 2-3 blocks from the main train station, we took the train there from Tunis. The sewer smell mentioned previously was actually manure-fertilizer that the gardeners use around the pool area, mostly noticeable in the mornings."

• Travel date: Thu 9th of November 2006