Hotel Royal Beach Sousse July 2010

Reviewed Thu 22nd of July 2010

"My family and I have just returned to the UK from this hotel and quite frankly we could not get home quick enough.

On arrival we were allocated a very basic room badly in need of some TLC that overlooked a building site and worst the air conditioning unit did not work.

On complaining the reception staff said the air conditioning was working without even going to look. Eventually the so called maintenance person had a look and it was no better. We were promised another room the next day, however on going to reception we were told there was no other room. The reception staff were very arognant and certainly don't put the customer first.
Three days later the hotel manager eventually gave as two other seperate rooms. Despite separating our family at least we had air conditioning and rooms of a better standard.

The restaurant food choice was very limited and often repeated. Our biggest gripe was the tempature of the food was often only cold to luke warm. Many days the best choice was stale bread and a handful of grapes. The snack bar menu was slightly better and we resorted to paying for snacks although being all inclusive.

Other than the non exisistant customer service skills of the reception staff the waiters, bar staff and housemaids were friendly and helped to make a poor choice of hotel bareable.

The hotel has two pleasant pools and excess to a wonderful sandy beach. The so called entertainment consisted of the same dozen or so called songs being played over and over and two guys dancing on a 10ft by 10ft stage.

We are generally not fussy but can say this is the worst hotel that we have used. There are lots of surrounding hotels and we suggest this one be avoided.

You have been warned"

• Travel date: Thu 22nd of July 2010

Great staff

Reviewed Mon 7th of June 2010

"I am a regular visitor to Sousse and stayed at the Royal Beach for two weeks towards the end of April, having previously stayed there last year. As has been said previously the rooms are somewhat basic, with limited storage space but you don't spend much time in the room and the bed was extremely comfortable - it was the first time I've actually had a double bed in Tunisia as usually there are two singles pushed together. Not all rooms have balconies but I phoned the hotel in advance and got both a balcony and sea view (room 130).

All the staff are friendly and helpful and most speak excellent English (much better than my French or Arabic). They have a new chef and food has improved since last year. The entertainment is somewhat limited as there were only two young lads who put on something most evenings, as well as doing the children's entertainment first. There was also a belly dancer and a fakir show on a couple of nights each week. One thing which stuck out was that despite the persistent rumours one almost had to chase the staff to give them a tip, as change was always given without them 'hovering'.

It must be borne in mind that this is not one of the bigger hotels but in my opinion that is part of its charm and the situation and friendliness more than make up for any shortcomings. I hope to be back in Octobner."

• Travel date: Fri 4th of June 2010

horrible

Reviewed Thu 8th of October 2009

"just back from a week in the royal beach souuse and sorry to say cant say much good about it. hotel very basic and run down. the beach was clean by the hotel but either side filthy broked glass etc. the food was very basic, bread stail and not much choice, same thing every morning ie baked potato? curried beens? etc for breakfast.
the staff were very unhelpful and spoke english when it suited. could only get money changed certain times of the day between 10-12.00 and 14-16.00 hopeless. rooms not bad apart from a toliet leaking sewage, a mouldy shower curtain and bath mat. the rooms were cleaned every day but the maids stole my wifes perfume. when it rained and it did some peoples rooms flouded and the main roof leekedmy wife spent 2 days in bed ill and is still ill now. beer and food cheap £1.25 for the local brew celtica. the entertainment cosisted of bingo and two out of time dancers. kenny the rep is a nice guy and a credit to thomas cook. on the whole awful would hope thomas cook would drop this hotel for next year. i feel sorry for people who have booked the royal beach souuse."

• Travel date: Thu 8th of October 2009

Good value for money

Reviewed Tue 29th of September 2009

"Hotel was nice if a bit shabby (nothing a coat of paint & fixing broken tiles wouldn't fix!) Staff very pleasant & helpful.

Breakfast good. Ate dinner there 1 night, not much veggie choice (couscous, salad & chips!.

Right on the beach & also near to the main road for taxis & the Noddy train to Sousse/Port El Kantoui.

Good for a weeks break, would stay there again.

• Travel date: Tue 29th of September 2009

great for the money !

Reviewed Thu 1st of January 2009

"was very nervous on arrival as it so lowly rated star wise but had a great two weeks returning on Nov. 6th 2008 changed our room after day one as it had no real balcony, not a problem, staff great, food ok sometimes even good ! always clean, going back in March,"

• Travel date: Thu 1st of January 2009

ex value for money

Reviewed Sat 11th of October 2008

"we have been on holiday in the royal beach for the last two years. my 2 youngest children nanci and moses loved every moment of the holiday and carnt wait to go back next year .the staff are so friendly hotel clean and the holiday is one of the best.we have travelled all over and tunisia is one of my faverates.Neno is a true gent we went last year and he rememberd the children how many people must he see in a year? yunisia is one of the cheapest placers that i have been and all i can say is that you get what you pay for . I WOULD SAY THIS PLACE IS A MUST . JACKIE LLOYD NANCI AND MOSESXX"

• Travel date: Fri 10th of October 2008

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Roya...

Reviewed Mon 23rd of June 2008

"I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Royal Beach..I went there with my friend to celebrate my 50th birthday.. The staff were very friendly and joined in with the birthday celebrations by providing me with fruit, bottle of wine and flowers in my room...
I would definitely reccomend going there.

Food although repetitive, was enjoyable and there was plenty of it..You could not go hungry in this hotel..

Chambermaids cleaned the rooms daily and I cant praise them enough !! Bar staff were always smiling and friendly."

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of June 2008

i Found The Hotel Very Clean , Staff Wer...

Reviewed Mon 2nd of June 2008

"i Found The Hotel Very Clean , Staff Were Very Nice Nimo Was Great in The Evening At The Disco , He Made Us Laugh When It Was Bingo Time , My Nan who i Went With especially Liked The Beach. Joseph the bell boy was very friendly and always helpful. The Sunbed Man At The Pool Was Really Nice And Always Smiling Even THo It Was Hot Weather And He Worked Long Hours , We Would Go Again To This Hotel As We enjoyed are Holiday very much and would recomend it too "

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of June 2008

i Found The Hotel Very Clean , Staff Wer...

Reviewed Mon 2nd of June 2008

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of June 2008

Very friendly staff hotel clean , 2 mins...

Reviewed Wed 5th of March 2008

"Very friendly staff hotel clean , 2 mins walk from white sandy beach , food not so good for choice .. Beware locals on the beach trying to sell you things such as fruit , donuts nut`s & jewlerry just say your money @ hotel.. I advise going to your welcome meeting as very helpful information & Kate a lovely rep.."

• Travel date: Wed 5th of March 2008

We have just returned from our first tim...

Reviewed Wed 5th of March 2008

"We have just returned from our first time in Tunisia staying @ the Royal Beach Hotel , Staff were very friendly & helpful, always spoke whenever they saw you. Food was not to good we were served the same sort of thing every night which was either beef , chicken or turkey stew , also the desserts were very limited choice. However the whole of the hotel was clean & as it`s name 2 mins walk to the gorgeous white sandy beach. Just beware of the locals trying to sell you things such as donuts , strawberries , bananas & nuts etc. on the beach we found the best way to deal with them was to say our money was in hotel. Sami was my fav waiter he does look after you very well ...
If you are planning on visiting the royal beach make sure you go to the welcome meeting as it is very worth while even if it`s only to meet the rep Kate who is very friendly & always on hand to help with anything that is thrown @ her she`s one of the best rep`s i`ve met on my holidays abroard, i can recommend the African dream excursion also the rep`s night @ the casino & if you want to visit the markets it`s best to go with a guide for the first time as the locals in the town will try to say that they are staff from your hotel & lure you into going shopping with them... Anyway i would return to tunisia definately ...."

• Travel date: Wed 5th of March 2008

PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS REVIEW IF PLANNI...

Reviewed Thu 3rd of January 2008

"PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS REVIEW IF PLANNING TO VISIT TUNISIA.

This hotel is basic but very nice, staff brilliant, rooms clean and fairly modern but lacking comforts ie TV, Kettle, Fridge although I believe they can be hired, but would not bother with TV as tv in bar was rubbish only english channel was sky news.

Food was adequate but very repetitive, we all suffered the runs at some point during the 2 weeks we stayed (put this down to the omelettes being under cooked, ask for well done).

Beach was beautiful, sea great and safe, watersports available, security good kept most of the annoying illegal sales people from hassling.

Wish I could say the same for the rest of the Tunisian people I found them to be extremely annoying constantly hounding us to look at their wares, could not even take a walk as the taxi drivers pestered us as well.

Excursions are good if arranged through your rep, tour guides keep the locals at bay, Sahara excursion was good but a very long bus trip to and from Sahara all other excursion very good value.

Overall a good break for one week as the entertainment was a bit tacky and repeated the second week in hotel, as for surrounding area I very rarely ventured out at night as it was very intimidating (avoid tenpin bowling, keeps breaking down and cost more than in UK to play, beer also dearer here, felt taken for a ride, local gangsters and there molls frequent this place "SCARY").

The hotel disco was very loud and went on till about 2/3am so if you like an early night forget it (could be heard from anywhere within the hotel). Local unsavoury's use one of the hotel bars at night and effectively make it off limits to holiday makers.

I am sad to say I will never visit Tunisia again, mainly because of the behaviour of the locals, they only like you if you are spending money.

SORRY BUT IF YOU CHOOSE TO GO HERE FOLLOW THESE SIMPLE STEPS.

Try the excursions, use the beach, use the hotel facilities at night, avoid big market places, but most of all ask advice from your rep or hotel staff they know best and you should still enjoy the experience."

• Travel date: Thu 3rd of January 2008

Hotels near Royal Beach Hotel

Top traveller tips for Royal Beach Hotel

• Aslemma by Aslemma

"Treat the staff as you would wish to be treated. "

• T/D by T/D

"Very noisy & vibrant! "

• carrolyn by carrolyn

"just relax the street vendors seem to fade away if you can do this "

• carrolyn by carrolyn

"El Jem - Camel market- try the main line train it is so cheap and easy when you get the hang of it "

Royal Beach Hotel is also called