Good

The bad reviews are unfounded. We arrive...

Reviewed Sat 10th of May 2008

"The bad reviews are unfounded. We arrived expecting the worst but had a fantastic holiday! The hotel is mostly for Germans and only saw a few other English but this did not effect our holiday in the slightest as the staff more than made up for the rudeness of the germans. The hotel backs onto its own beach which is shallow and great for kids. It felt like a hot bath. A few sellers on the beach but not many, they didnt pester you too much. A small water park which was open twice a day which the kids really enjoyed. The pool was large with plenty of entertainment during the day and in the evening presented by the hotel staff, who were gr8. A big hello to mamadou, gomez, aladeen and all the rest of you. Outside of the hotel there isnt a gr8 deal but nice to walk around in the evenings. Cheap taxi's to Sousse about 20 minutes drive. The rooms were spacious and cleaned daily and new towels daily. Plenty to do for all at the hotel, didnt think much of the alcohol but then it is a muslim country. Would definately go again and would recconmend it to anyone that asks. Anyone that complains needs there head tested!

Overall a good cheap holiday and would love to go back again some time soon."

• Travel date: Sat 10th of May 2008

I would just like to pass some comments...

Reviewed Wed 30th of April 2008

"I would just like to pass some comments about our two- week holiday at the Eden Club resort in Tunisia from 6th April till 20th April 2008.
Firstly, we were not met at the airport by the rep, we had to ask other reps from other companies to find our transport to Eden Club Hotel. After arriving at the Eden Club we were shown to our rooms, which were clean and pleasant, which we found to be the case throughout our stay, with the cleaners keeping the room at the very good standard and being very polite and helpful (by the way, not all the customers were that lucky, some didn't even have their bad made on regular bases).
On the second day we tried to locate the rep but with no success. We enquired at the reception when the rep will be on site, the answer was they didn’t know, when asked about contact number, they didn’t have any. We subsequently learned later in the week from guests who were there second week, that the rep had removed all information packs and notices (as he put it, the hotel didn't take any notice of nhim or what he was saying so he just gave up, leaving all other guests, like us, on their own). We asked the rep from the German company and the rep from the Polish company, who were on the site on regular bases, but they were sorry not to be able to help us as we were not in their group. We asked at the reception several times for information about the rep, but they didn’t know anything. They pointed us to the information board and when we explained to them that there is no information to be found and it was taken away by the rep, they were surprised. For the two weeks we were there, we weren’t contacted or received any help from the rep whatsoever. We had to gather all information from the Polish tour company rep (fortunately I speak Polish), but still we found out too late that we shouldn't pay more than 10 dinars for a taxi - we felt guilty, cause we went to Monastir and pay the driver £5 (more than 10 dinnars) and he still wanted more, which we promised to pay on the way back to the hotel.
We found the food improved vastly after the third day of our saying at the hotel. Since then it was very good, with lots of choices of different food. If you're vegetarian or love meat or fish, you'll find plenty of choice, very tasty choice. Also the staff was very polite and helpful.
Unfortunately, the thing that spoiled our stay at the Eden Club was due to the very loud noise from 10 a.m. till 12.30 and then 2.30 p.m. till 6.00 p.m. ( the same routine, the same shouting from the crew team, the same, annoying music put as loud as possible). We complained several times to the animation crew, the animation crew supervisor, the animation crew manager and the reception. They reduce the noise from the music system after 12 days of complaining. They finally, after receiving complaints from other guests, reduced the volume of the noise from the music and the noise they were making (the animation crew members were running around the swimming pool and surrounding areas shouting and clapping, making crazy noises, like mad men, out of control, where do they get these people from anyway???). The animation crew seemed to do whatever they wanted to do, if they chose to make a noise they did it, if they chose to pull guests from their chairs and sun lounges they were doing this, because they couldn’t get enough people to volunteer, even after half an hour running around the swimming pool and surrounding areas, they still couldn’t get enough people to participate. When we brought that to the attention to the reception, that the noise was unbearable, and the behaviour of the animation crew was totally unacceptable, the reception staff asked the animation crew manager to supervise his team. He did that the last three days of our stay; he was never around before to supervise his team.
After we made the complaints the animation crew became rude, unprofessional (which they never were anyway), they also, when going for the evening meal formed lines either side in front of the restaurant door to welcome all the guests, although we couldn’t understand the language, we understood the body language and gestures, especially when they do it as one, turning their backs towards us as we were passing through the restaurant’s door. We feel that animation crew spoiled our stay at the Eden Club Hotel. And we advise you, don't be polite, it doesn't work, they don't understand the words: 'no', 'thank you', if you're a girl, and I'm telling from my experience, you'll be touched at every occasion, hugged etc all the time, the nly way is to get your boyfriend very, I mean very stickt and straight about what he thinks about them touching you, otherwise your holidays are turned into very rude and cheap show of 'sexual' abuse. Horrible! And very loud (I don't think they can speak in normal volume, they shout all the time)

We were disappointed that there is only a small no-smoking area in the main dinning area, the smoking is allowed throughout the Eden Club premises: bar area, relaxation area, reception, inside corridors and swimming pool. Being non smokers we found it very uncomfortable, as did many other non – smoking guests, as there was no area for non smokers to relax and enjoy the evening.

Eden Club – very good
Rooms – clean (decorated with fresh flowers every day!)
Food - very good
Staff - overall good
Animation crew – unacceptable
Rep – what rep?

• Travel date: Wed 30th of April 2008

I really couldn't fault this hotel. A g...

Reviewed Mon 7th of April 2008

"I really couldn't fault this hotel. A group of five of us went with trepidation after reading really bad reviews. We went expecting the worst and what we got was far from it. The food was really good had a wide variety of all sorts, lots of carbs tho. The pool area was gorgeous backing right onto the beach. Always something to do - the animators are always around to make your stay more fun they have everything from archery to aerobics. The animators really did make this holiday for me though all really friendly and funny (not all of them in the way they think they are - but funny nevertheless). Good bus service to Sousse and Monastir they go every 20 mins and cost about half a dinar each way so about 40p much cheaper than the taxis. The cleaners were really friendly (we thought we'd lost our keys the one day so the cleaner dropped everything to help us find them) and even if youre not up at the crack of dawn they'll still clean your room later in the day. In the evenings they have cabarets most of which are put on by the staff but they are all worth a watch and a disco follows playing pretty decent music and Smash (the DJ man) will play pretty much any request. Otherwise theres le safari about 10 mins walk away which the animators took us to a few times def worth a visit. Would definately go back was an amazing holiday and at that price, you can't go wrong."

• Travel date: Mon 7th of April 2008

Stayed here in February 2008, don't list...

Reviewed Mon 31st of March 2008

"Stayed here in February 2008, don't listen to reviews. Went with my partner, my daughter and members of his family. When we arrived we were given a complementry drink and taken to our rooms, there was an issue with our rooms which was resolved immediately. Pool outside was freezing and the indoor pool was not working, however, from the second day this was fixed and was fine. I am vegetarian and I thought the food was lovely with a great selection of meats and vegetarian dishes.
The beach is not the nicest, this is the only downfall!!
Beauty Treatments in hotel are a must!! For approx £40 I had a Turkish Bath, Skin Peel, Hydro Pool and Full Body Massage it was amazing !
Okay, the hotel is not in the 'best' location, but it only costs £3 to get into the main centre and other attractions, I would definately recommend the Zulu trip. Entertainment in hotel is what you would expect in a 3* and we thoroughly enjoyed it.
Tunisia is a fabulous place to go on holiday, if you have the money it is worth staying more central in a better hotel, however, for what we paid and what we got I would definately stay here again we had a brilliant time."

• Travel date: Mon 31st of March 2008

A holiday definitely is what you make it...

Reviewed Sat 1st of March 2008

"A holiday definitely is what you make it The accomodation was clean and spacious, the staff very friendly and helpful and the food varied,good and plentiful - if you want burger and chips, go somewhere else.
Spirits were not included,but the wine and beer were good. We did not have to pay extra for water, mattresses for sun-loungers, etc
Although the pool was cold and smoking still allowed in the bar/longe area, which detracted somewhat, my friend and I had a wonderful, relaxing and fun holiday.
We went horse-riding, camel-trekking and did a cultural day-trip to the capital Tunis/ Carthage, all costing very little. Haggling for souveniers/gifts was great fun too.
Apart from one club/bar there is nothing else in the area, other than hotels, but only a short distance to the town, if you want more.
I would heartily recommend this hotel

• Travel date: Sat 1st of March 2008

We booked this holiday on good faith but...

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2007

"We booked this holiday on good faith but we were very disappointed with the accommodation; we paid for all inclusive however this was not the case, it was a case of first impression which in our eyes was poor.

On our first night we came across cockroaches, not to mention it being infested with flies, they were everywhere down by the pool, in the dining room on the food it was disgusting. I was bitten on several occasions; I have certainly suffered since coming home.

We booked all inclusive but this was not the case as we had to pay for most things i.e. local drinks, mattresses for the sun loungers, snacks (except for the cake which came out about 3/30 you had no chance of any of this as the Germans scoffed the lot).

This hotel was full of Germans, Polish, Russians & Czechs. This hotel was certainly not for the British, when we were there, there were only another three British couples there. We felt very intimidated as we were there for two weeks and the other couples were only there for one week.

We asked our rep to be moved to another hotel and the cost of moving would have been astronomical it was totally disgusting at the way we were being treated, we would certainly not recommend this hotel to anyone even the entertainment was for the Germans etc very poor indeed.

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of October 2007

We booked this holiday on good faith, bu...

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2007

"We booked this holiday on good faith, but we were very disappointed we had paid for all inclusive but this was not the case.

We had to pay for water, local spirits, snacks i.e., hot dogs, hamburgers, mattresses for the sunloungers etc.

As for the food we just could not at it as we did not know what was what apart from the obvious at breakfast like tea/coffee& toast, we virtually survived on soup& crusty bread at lunch & evening meal.

As for the flies they come in droves also cockroaches.

This was full of Germans/ Polish/ Russians & Checzs, definitely not for the British we felt very intimidated would not recommend."

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of October 2007

Well this was the best holiday of my lif...

Reviewed Wed 19th of September 2007

"Well this was the best holiday of my life! At the end of the day a holiday is what you make it, there were 10 of us that went. Me, dad, step mum, 3 of my brothers, our next door neighbours and their 2 children, ages 12 and 16. I’m 16 & my eldest brother is 18 so it was us and our neighbours children who hated it.

We arrived at 1 o’clock in the afternoon in Tunisian time. We didn’t stop complaining and we hadn’t even looked around to see what the place was like. After 2 days we met lots of english people and we all got on like a house on fire, we tried to mix with all the nationalities but it was hard as alot didn’t speak english and most of them were rude.

Our room was lovely and cosy, the beds are comfy and maids were in everyday. After about 6 days we all became really good friends with the men in the animation team, they always looked after us and made sure we were ok.

Food isn’t the best but its passable, you just have to try out different foods because some of its lovely! I would recommend this hotel to everyone. I went there August 2007 and I have thought about it & the entertainment team everyday. Its like we have lost a group of our family but we are going back there August 2008 to see them all again! It’s an experience I will never forget and for a 3star hotel it’s wonderful!

• Travel date: Wed 19th of September 2007

A similar review to Mrs M L Lee - We’v...

Reviewed Thu 30th of September 2004

"A similar review to Mrs M L Lee - We’ve just returned from Eden Club Hotel after having flown out there with some trepidation based upon another review.

The hotel is indeed geared for German tourists (we saw 2 other English couples in the week that we were there). The staff, however, were polite and tried their best to communicate in what to them is probably their fourth language.

The rooms?, well, ours was a little cramped, since it had 3 beds and a cot, rather an overkill for the pair of us, but was clean (and cleaned daily). At the end of the day - we didn’t go to Tunisia to spend our time in the hotel room.

The restaurant was well presented and well-stocked - self-service is the order of the day with a bias towards a continental European platter (and not your English pie & chips).

Regarding other comments about the cushions mats for the sun loungers, there is a clear statement in the reception of the hotel that these are available for 2 Dnr per day (around a quid)

The bar was as advertised - free local beer and wine - nothing to write home about, but pleasant enough in its own right.

The pool area was well presented and clean, and provided you got up before the Germans (sorry, something of an English joke) there was plenty of space. The beach and the sea was clean (okay, there was a little sea-weed, but then, there were also fish - hey, it’s the sea!) We were there pretty much end of season, and a number of the sun loungers were in a bad state of repair - maybe this is to be expected at the end-of-season?

The evening entertainment was obviously targeted for the masses, and that was mainly the German families, I can’t argue with that, but we (mid-thirties couple with no kids) found this a little loud and irritating - it would have benefited from having a separate bar, but I understand that at this time of the year they close parts of the hotel down (as advertised).

My one real complaint would be against the holiday rep, which we couldn’t find at all; this is not something I’d level at the hotel, and I’m taking up separately with Med-Hotels. Other holiday reps seemed to be in abundance.

Overall, maybe not the hotel for us (based upon our childless status and UK nationality), but I don’t think the hotel let us down in any way. It was a cheap holiday and I think we got value for money."

• Travel date: Thu 30th of September 2004

Have just returned from Romance Eden. I...

Reviewed Tue 31st of August 2004

"Have just returned from Romance Eden. I agree that English people were in the minority at the hotel but that is a chance you take when travelling abroad. The hotel staff were all friendly and helpful, even though we sometimes had problems conversing. I do not speak their language but generally, they made every attempt to speak mine. Indeed the majority of waiters and bar staff had a very good grasp of English.

The rooms were spacious and clean, indeed, they were cleaned daily. The food was typical of an African country serving "western" food. Salads were in abundance as were eggs, which were served in a variety of ways. There was a good choice of meats, fish, potatoes, rice and pasta. In fact, all the food was fresh and plentiful.

If you are looking for burgers and chips served in an English environment then I suggest you do not go to Africa.

• Travel date: Tue 31st of August 2004

Well - we are home now - THANK GOODNESS!...

Reviewed Mon 31st of May 2004

"Well - we are home now - THANK GOODNESS!!! Holiday from Hell would have been good, this was worse. Where do I start? On arrival, after booking a "Room with partial sea view" we looked out onto a building site. Asked manager to be moved and he told us to use our imagination! Were moved and if you sat on the top bunk, you could see a bit of the sea. Rooms were extremely basic and not that clean. Sheets were changed once. My daughter’s single bed was in fact bricks with a mattress on them! Bath/shower was in poor repair.

Dining Hall (poor excuse for a restaurant) was an absolute health hazard. It is infested with flies. Flies are on food being served and due to the fact that there is a complete lack of staff, dirty plates are piled up everywhere. If you want a clean table, I’m afraid it’s self service - you clear the dishes and rubbish onto another table, fight for a space with the flies and hope for the best!

The pool area on first impression seems okay, but my children had their feet cut to shreds. The pool surrounding is in poor state of repair with the terracotta tiles cracked and splintering. I had to take a first aid kit with me to the pool everyday, and there was not a day went by that one of the kids cut their feet/toes.

If you want a sunbed, get up at around 4.30 a.m. This was a disaster! It appears to me that this lot have just got greedy and are taking in guests that they just don’t have the facilities for. What sunbeds they did have, many were broken and in fact we saw a little girl stand on one day and her leg went right through. If it wasn’t for the fact there was a towel on it, the child’s leg would have been slashed.

There is a lifeguard - he would be the one that asks guests if they can get him a beer! He sits hidden in a corner hiding either a glass or bottle of beer drinking all day, so if your kids are not good in the pool - don’t take your eyes off of them!

The animation team seemed to be doing their best, but are quite intimidating if you don’t want to join in, and the general consensus amongst staff are that English speaking people are all miserable. Several comments were made to us about this.

Another party from England arrived and sat in the reception area because they refused to check in after seeing the state of the toilets in reception. They asked me what I thought of the place, and I told them if they got the chance to change hotels to do so. This is when the two managers were verbally abusive and told me to get back to my room or to get to the pool and not to speak to these people. It got so heated, that one of the male guests I was speaking to, actually stood up and told them that enough was enough. Obviously taking exception to this, they told me to get out of the hotel!!! My husband, who was with my daughter in our room because she was ill, came and confronted them. A ‘misunderstanding’ was the explanation for the outburst. My three daughters, myself and my husband have all had really upset stomachs whilst on holiday, and it is not really surprising considering the lack of hygiene.

We really could not take much more at this point and asked to be moved to another hotel. We sat in reception from 9 a.m. till 4 p.m. waiting for Med Hotels to get back to us. 484 pounds for the privilege of being moved to a hotel of the equivalent rating to the one we had booked, and can I also say we entered into extensive research before we went to get assurances of the quality of this hotel after reading adverse reports.

Med Hotels told us that they had been using this hotel for two years and had NO COMPLAINTS. In fact, we were told by the Med Hotel Rep (who did his level best for us) that in fact that they had been using this hotel since April and that he had had nothing but complaints!! In fact he told us that they were withdrawing from this hotel.

I would urge you NOT to go to this hotel, and be very wary if you are booking directly with Med Hotels. They are NOT a member of ABTA, so if you have any complaints, watch out, you may have no comeback.

On our first visit to Tunisia we were completely put off from ever returning, but after moving to the Houda Beach Hotel, our opinion has been changed. REAL Tunisian people are friendly and helpful. The animals at the ROMANCE EDEN should be utterly ashamed and are bringing disgrace to their"

• Travel date: Mon 31st of May 2004

We are just back from Skanes Romance Ede...

Reviewed Wed 31st of March 2004

"We are just back from Skanes Romance Eden Club and everything is geared towards Germans. There is no information in English and very few of the staff actually speaks English. Included in this fact is the entertainment, which is done by the local animation crew, and despite the obvious enthusiasm leaves a lot to be desired!

We were also promised a sea-view, and if you have imagination and a high-powered x-ray telescope, then you would have one.

Along with others here you can only change money at set times and what these set times are, is anyone’s guess.

Every nationality apart from British were provided with cushioned mats for sun loungers and when asked why, we were told that we could get them if we paid, so we had to fork out £3 per day for something we were told was all-inclusive. This paying part was only on a good day, and on some days we were told no.

Food: ... forget it!!! Breakfast was totally inedible and consisted of sausages and eggs. I have tasted some bad food in my day, but my 9-year-old son, who was practically starving refused to eat the sausages, as did the local cats that I fed one day, and they were scrawny looking! One guest asked for eggs when the trays had been empty for some time and was handed two, which were raw. When he asked for them to be boiled, he was swore at. Lunch consisted of Stew and Spaghetti. Dinner consisted of Spaghetti and Stew. Snacks at 3 – 5 consisted of cake at the bar, but if you asked before 4, even although the trays of cake were actually there, you were refused point blank, much to the embarrassment of my wife and a few other British guests. Snacks at 11 – 12 as per brochure, were provided, these were little round biscuits that I remember making in Home Economic classes in High School!! My son actually went hungry on a supposed All-Inclusive and because we were a twenty-minute taxi ride to Sousse (were only decent takeaways were) and this cost £10 round trip, but was worth it to feed my son. Our family and 4 other families ended up eating out every night bar one. I have been on 6 all-inclusive holidays excluding this one and food wise this doesn’t compare to even the worst other one.

As per brochure, you are on the beach, but it is dirty and sea is full of seaweed

The men are very pushy and “hands on” so women beware of this.

The pista de résistance for me was the fact of having 1% beer served up and them expecting you to accept that the local beer “Celtia” was very expensive and we had to pay for it. On any all-inclusive local wine, spirits, beer has always been included, but not here. I bought vodka at the bar only for change and it cost me nearly £4. When a representative eventually showed up after 5 days he had a stand up argument with the Hotel Director and told him to give the local brew, Celtia to the guests and he refused. The order of the day for this hotel was “scrimp” and in all aspects of food and drink they were excellent at it.

On the subject of the representative, after 5 days of trying, when he showed up, he had no complaint forms. He arrived the next day with the forms and after 10 minutes told all the complainers that he had to go to other hotels, even although we personally hadn’t started writing. One guest said that he couldn’t go because he was still writing and he was told he would hit him if he tried to stop him. An argument ensued and resulted in the representative pushing a guest, and becoming very aggressive. This representative was a local and over 6ft, so one can imagine the fear and alarm this caused.

In summary, my first visit to Tunisia was a bad one, and I will probably not go back. This decision is solely down to this hotel, as I won’t take the chance for my family that this is not indicative of the country.

I strongly advise that British people give this hotel a very wide berth."

• Travel date: Wed 31st of March 2004