more than you paid for

Reviewed Wed 15th of September 2010

"First time in Tunisia and went there with low expectations, due to all reviews read. Almost gave up reading reviews...
This hotel is good.
Room: spacious, 6m x 4m, standard size beds, TV,commode, night tables, large mirror, carpet flooring, club table with 2 armchairs. Balcony 3m x 2m with table and 2 chairs. Spacious bathroom with bathtub, marble washstand, hair dryer, toilet is separated. 5 compartment floor-to-ceiling locker, refrigerator, central aircondition.
Food: We were there for 2 weeks, with picky 3year old and we were never hungry, every day choice was so great. That is all that I will say about food.
Drink: Local non-alcoholic drinks too sweet for my taste, and local beer as bad as any cheap beer anywhere -drinkable only when cold. All the rest as anywhere else.
Service: fair, sometimes seems lazy, but if you go there during Ramadan, you need to know that they are not eating anything during the day, even water, for a month, so as the end nears more tired they are. If you want them flying and smiling, choose your timing. Anyway, we have no complaints at all, it is quite acceptable that you wait for a minute or two for table to be ready when there are that many people eating at the same time. Rooms cleaned daily, new sheets, new towels, vacumed daily.
By the pool and on the beach, they will get you anything that you ask for, but you need to ask for it. Othervise, they wont move much unless they have to.
In general, for the money paid, we are under impresiion that we got more than we paid for. For those who focus their vacation to find broken tile or time-worn furniture, yes, there are few.

We liked it, and if we were to visit Tunisia again, we will go there again."

• Travel date: Wed 15th of September 2010

Five Star Joke

Reviewed Fri 10th of September 2010

"The El Mouradi Palace is about as far away from 5 stars as can be imagined! Bedrooms are tired, bathrooms are mouldy and the service provided by Bille on the front desk during our stay made Basil Fawlty look impressive.

Whatever you do, do not go all inclusive! These inmates with their NHS type wrist bracelets are treated as second class citizens and served fare below the standard you might expect from a cheap airline. The low point occurred when freshly squeezed orange juice was provided at breakfast ( as opposed to the normal disgusting coloured water) but guests had to queue to pay for this treat!

Outside, the pool closes at 5.45pm each evening with the Lifeguards blowing a whistle and threatening guests with chlorine exposure as they pour stuff from a tub into the pool!

When we arrived at 1.20am after our Transfer failed to appear at Tunis airport, despite being two adults with our son and having booked a triple room, we were shown to a room with only two beds! On the third attempt, and 2.10 am, we finally had the room we had booked!

Further, it would be good to highlight some positives about the El Mouradi Palace, but we can't, even in the bar, the wine waiter tried to fob us off with dregs from an opened bottle of wine and was upset when we asked him to open a fresh bottle!

Port El Kantoui is a pleasant resort and there may be good hotels, the one we stayed at was unfortunately not one of them! You have been warned!!!"

• Travel date: Sun 5th of September 2010

Not 5 Star

Reviewed Fri 6th of August 2010

"Very poor service and rude staff. Trying to get a drink in the bar took forever and I felt like I was invisible. When I complained about the poor service my compaints were not responded to with any degree of coutesy. This was undoutadly a good hotel some years ago, but now it barely make 3stars."

• Travel date: Mon 26th of July 2010

My best holiday so far!! :o)

Reviewed Thu 4th of November 2010

"My partner & I went in March 2010. We booked through Thomas Cook half board £300.00 each bargain!! The Hotel was absolutely fantastic. The staff were always friendly & helpful..always busy working, cleaning the pool and respected your privacy etc. The beach was only a minute away. A great variety of buffet style food always fresh and different menus everyday. The area of Port El Kantaoui is lovely especially the Harbour where you can chill with a drink and watch the boats coming & going. The place is full of history and I personally don't get stressed by locals trying to get you into their shops as they do tend to take no for an answer more than in other countries I've been too.
True it's not the noisiest of places for night clubs etc. but on the other hand it was refreshing not to be wading through people's chip shop rubbish, vomit and urine etc like past experiences. The weather was perfect too!! I'd definately be going back to this place again!! :o) *****"

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of April 2010

Excellent

Reviewed Wed 13th of January 2010

"Just back from 7 day break for over New Year .Party of 11 and we had a brill time. Hotel staff extremely helpful and friendly. Food plentifull and lots of choices. Clean,Tidy and good service.
Weather was kind to us as well.
Red Wine plentiful.
Would like to return when everything around is open.
Would go again at this time of the year ..but we all recommend the All inclusive option."

• Travel date: Tue 5th of January 2010

2 star dump DONT GO

Reviewed Mon 19th of October 2009

"Supposed to be 5 star what a joke more a 2 star disgusting hotel small grotty dated rooms smelt of wee and the sewers constantly... Asked to move twice but the other rooms just as bad reception staff rude and miserable gits, food vile cold, burnt or not cooked properly covered in flies, bread rock hard the worst hotel we have ever stayed in do not go here we will never go back to tunisia "

• Travel date: Sun 18th of October 2009

satisfied customer

Reviewed Mon 19th of January 2009

"just back from tunisia didnt much like the country but loved the hotel staff very friendly and helpful food excellent and such a great variety room spotlessly clean as was the rest of the hotel would recommend it to anyone thinking of going to tunisia any questions just e mail me "

• Travel date: Mon 19th of January 2009

Holiday review

Reviewed Mon 17th of November 2008

"I went to this hotel October 2008, and really enjoyed it. The weather was great most days, but rained a few. There were quite a few shopping centres within walking distance of the hotel, and the nearest port, Port El Kantaoui, is also within walking distance, and was it was lovely walking along the beach getting there. The meals were lovely, especially breakfast, however lunch and dinner were a bit samey. Could have been more Tunisian dishes, otherwise great. The rooms needed a bit of updating, they are fairly old-fashioned. Hotel was very clean with good facilities. Outside pool was a fairly cold most days, however there was a warm indoor pool which was great in rainy weather. There was no lack of sunbeds, which was good as we have experienced this problem before. We didn't go on any excursions as we only spent a week there, but looked at the sheet and some looked very good. Outside the hotel there are often camels and horses waiting with their owners to give you a ride. DO NOT GO ON THESE. They look really skinny and I saw a small little pony pulling a carriage with 15+ people on, and you could see the strain on the poor little animal. Tourists taking rides on these just encourage this bad behaviour (sorry, it's not really relevant, but I think it's an important point to make). Entertainment wise, it could have been better in the evening, but then some of them were a good laugh. Entertainment during the day was also good, with quite a few things for kids inc. darts, crazy golf. Overall, the holiday was amazing but I wouldn't go back.. there are too many countries to visit in this world to go to the same place again."

• Travel date: Mon 17th of November 2008

When we originally looked at Tunisia, ma...

Reviewed Sat 23rd of August 2008

"When we originally looked at Tunisia, many of the Hotels had mixed reviews on the Watchdog sites, but the El Mouradi Palace seemed to fare better than most.

Having just returned, I can see why. The Hotel is of a very good standard, the rooms were spotlessly clean and well maintained, fully air conditioned and the bed linen and towels were changed daily. The only thing missing was tea & coffee making facilities, but as we had brought our own kettle, tea & coffee, the Hotel was happy to supply cups and saucers. The rooms all have a TV, however, the only UK channel available was BBC World News, but there again, I didn't go all that way to sit and watch the TV.

The Restaurant had a wide choice of food with no evening menu repeated during our stay. The food was also of a good standard. The restaurant staff were very warm and friendly and they operate a system whereby you are allocated your own table and waiter for the week and a two hour time slot to eat and breakfast is served until 11.00am. Our waiter, Ben was a really nice pleasant and well mannered young man who could not do enough to please.

There are a number of Bars to choose from, with something to please everyone, although from what I saw of the outdoor evening entertainment, that was a little so so!

The beach was very clean with plenty of wooden palm tree style sunshades, sun loungers and cushions, all of which were brand new. The sea was also very warm and crystal clear but there were a number of people stung by small Jellyfish on a daily basis so beware. You do get Hawkers coming along the beach on a regular basis, but they are not allowed to encroach beyond the sea front so they are not really a problem.

The whole of the Hotel is very well maintained with plenty of staff ensuring that the place is kept very clean and tidy and that the gardens were immaculate.

The biggest plus point of the week for us though was the weather, which I appreciate is beyond the control of the Hotel, but hey, that's the reason we all go abroad isn't it. During the whole of our week, there was never a speck of white cloud in the sky; just crystal clear blue skies every day and 35 degree plus temperatures, marvellous!

However, if I had to pick one fault with the Hotel, I would have to say that the Reception staff left a little to be desired, stopping just short of being surly, they could do with taking a leaf out of the Restaurant and Bar staffs’ book.

But other than that, I would heartily recommend the Hotel to anyone looking for a relaxing holiday with great weather and I would definitely go back there again.

• Travel date: Sat 23rd of August 2008

Good Points We stayed at the el mouradi...

Reviewed Mon 31st of March 2008

"Good Points

We stayed at the el mouradi palace Hotel two weeks ago and found it to have smart, contemporary interiors, bigger than average rooms and efficient, friendly staff. The bedrooms were quiet in spite of entertainment being held most nights and we were only on the first floor. Facilities were good and well maintained, the indoor pool, coffee shop and bar were rarely overly busy. Definitely a five star rating! I would recommend el Mouradi palace Hotel to anyone, of any age, who is looking for that little bit of luxury on their holiday. The food is absolutely divine! I've never seen so much food laid out in all my life. And to think you are in apart of Africa... it's really astounding.

Bad Points

although rooms have a fridge facility we had no tea & coffee making equipment There weren't enough English speaking channels available in the room, most days there was two .

General Comments

Wide variety of food and drinks. The rep was great, and all staff are really friendly. The pool was great, and we had lots to go to. It said there were outdoor pools and indoor’s.. Food was at an excellent standard, el mouradi palace Hotel is a lovely hotel, and the rooms were really big. The fridge also helped keep the water cool. The safe and air conditioning are all free. I really enjoyed myself.
I was worried about the resort. I was really feeling quite nervous, but I had a fantastic holiday, and I hope to go back again in the near future.

Best wishes
George & Doris Hill."

• Travel date: Mon 31st of March 2008

I have been to Port el Kantaoui, Tunisia...

Reviewed Sun 21st of May 2006

"I have been to Port el Kantaoui, Tunisia many times and have stayed in various hotels in the area. I have to say this hotel was amazing.

Definitely a five star rating! I would recommend Melia el Mouradi palace to anyone, of any age, who is looking for that little bit of luxury on their holiday. The food is to absolutely divine! I've never seen so much food laid out in all my life. And to think you are in apart of Africa... it's really astounding.

Top marks to the waiting staff. Although beware if you’re blonde or fair skinned - ha ha."

• Travel date: Sun 21st of May 2006

Great atmosphere

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"The hotel had a great armosphere, all the amenities, nice bars, very chilled out and friendly staff. A short walk on the beach to the marina. Highly recommended"

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of April 2006

Hotels near El Mouradi Palace

Top traveller tips for El Mouradi Palace

• patricia B by patricia B

"ate in hotel as it was so good "

• imejl99 by imejl99

"more than expected for that price "

• chicca by chicca

"For couples especially if your into history, culture sight seeing & beautiful beeches...go for it. "

• mary edwards by mary edwards

"loved the experience especially over the festive period "

• G&LA Rose by G&LA Rose