About Medina Solaria & Thalasso

• infinity pool
  • tv channel one russia

Friendly and family friendly

Reviewed 31st March 2014

"I cannot fault this hotel. We found the staff very friendly and they couldn't have been more helpful. They arranged car hire after our pre-booked car with Budget was not available and at a much better price. They stepped in and provided a function room, set up and ready to go with bar etc. at 20 minutes notice when we were let down with a booking for a wedding party at a local bar. The rooms were kept beautifully clean as was the rest of the hotel. The vast array of fresh food was fantastic, with ample choice for most tastes. Yasmine Hammamet felt very safe to me, I have felt more threatened in parts of the UK. The shop and stall holders calling out to you to view their goods is just their way of selling, ignore them if you are not prepared to barter and go to a fixed price shop. I spent 8 days at the hotel going out every day, enjoying some of the wonderful sights this colorful country has to offer and will return to Iberostar Solaria in the future as a base to see more of Tunisia."

• Travel date: 31st March 2014

Best Yet In Tunisia

Reviewed 19th March 2013

"4th Visit to Tunisia all in Feb.3 weeks this time and I found it Quiet at the hotel and very relaxing.It's in a great location right on a beautiful long prom,and right in the shops.Although hotel was quiet there was still a very good choice of excellent food. AI was excellent no problems with any drinks,and waiters and all staff were friendly,and very helpful.Good indoor heated pool.Our room was very good overlooking the sea.Large with large bed.Air conditioning good, easy to manage so rooms always kept warm.Excellent bus service to local towns,very cheap. We booked through 2bookaholiday and everything ran very smoothly.Weather was mixed but it was feb.still warmer than England.Can't wait for next Feb. Will certainly be returning to this hotel."

• Travel date: 15th March 2013

Great holiday - going back!

Reviewed 11th December 2012

"We had a lovely holiday here. Top floor room and sea view. The first week, the weather was really hot and sunny - we got quite a tan. Second week the weather turned to rain and thunder storms. But it was still warm. Lots to do in the hotel and also across the road on the beach. The Hotel was clean and the staff friendly, even the cleaner - who invited me and my husband to her home for dinner. We have already booked our holiday here again in May 2013 and cannot wait to get back here."

• Travel date: 11th December 2012

Never again!

Reviewed 17th May 2012

"Spent second week of Easter here. My husband and I love to walk around the area of the hotels we stay at to get a feel of the real place but not safe in Yasmin Hammamet or Tunisia. The hotel and food cannot fault however the staff not friendly, only the odd one smiles and says hello! Our waiter snubbed us on the second night as we had not tipped him having tipped him 5 euros the previous evening! Our holiday money went on keeping the staff content with tips, awful. Thomas Cook reps a no show! not once did they arrive at appointed time so we took a local bus into Hammamet as wanted a trip, there at 11 am on a main street I was visciously attacked by a huge dark man, his accomplice kept a motor scooter revved beside him, he strangled me causing injury to my throat and neck but failed in getting my bag as it was tightly attached! I was on the ground before my husband noticed as he was a couple of steps ahead of me, my two gold necklaces were taken and a precious stone! Dont go to this country stick to mediterranean safer ones.The streets dangerous. large holes where a child/teenager could fall in, beach filthy"

• Travel date: 17th May 2012

Well needed break!

Reviewed 10th April 2012

"I had a fantastic girls holiday at the Iberostar Solaria and would definately return. The staff were extremely helpful and kind and the food was great! The only down side was that my IPOD dissapeared in the last few days. I was half expecting to return and find it in one of our suitcases but it didnt show up. "

• Travel date: 9th April 2012

Solaria recommended

Reviewed 16th October 2012

"The hotel is ideally sited near the beach, a short walk from the medina, marina,shops and restaurants. The staff were fantastic, from gateman to front of house manager. Our room overlooked the ocean giving us beautiful sunsets and dawns, accompanied by the sound of waves on the beach. The room was cleaned daily, the bed was massive and extremely comfortable. The food was plentiful, tasty and, if chosen carefully, healthy. The salads and fruit were especially tempting for us. My wife actually lost weight ! Above all though, the staff made our stay a delight. The Animation team (entertainment) worked tirelessly and clearly enjoyed what they did. All in all we rated it as a UK standard 4 star, although it is officially 5. Highly recommended."

• Travel date: 8th January 2009

Where is Iberostar 5***** quality?

Reviewed 5th November 2012

"I've just returned from a 7-day vacation at Iberostar Solaria in Yasmine Hammamet in Tunisia. The hotel in general was fine but it was very far from the 5***** Iberostar quality. Below I try to leave my opinion regarding the hotel. Strenghts 1) Hotel facilities - the hotel facilities were very good. The pool was great and the rooms were very good. The hotel was also very clean. 2) Location - the hotel was very near from the new Hammamet Medina (about 200m) and other fun sites (like carthago land) and several shops where you can buy souvenirs and restaurants (mexicans, italians, etc.) Also the marina is next to the hotel. Additionally if you wnat to go to Hammamet (+/- 10km) or Nabeul (+/-20km) you can easily catch a bus or a taxi to get there. Weaknesses 1) Hotel Staff - about 80% of the hotel staff was unpleasant, unhelpful and impolite. For example, no matter what the subject was but the reception staff always replied in a not very polite way to any question that you may have, they answered the phone while talking to you without having completely satisfied your inquiry. Besides that only after 30-min conversation they would give you some solution for your question. Additionally by magic in our last day at the hotel al people seems extremely nice because, using their own words, they "wanted a souvenir from the portuguese"... The eager for tips can make miracles. If I would describe in detail some more situations that happened with the waiters, bartenders and reception staff, this review would be huge. I don't know if this hotel is an exception in Tunisia or not, but... in the return trip more people who have stayed in different hotels in Yasmine Hammamet were complaning about this while others that stayed in other areas of Tunisia said they had a wonderful time. 2) All-Inclusive Regime - the Solaria's all-inclusive regime for me was a deception because the range of drinks, cocktails or long drinks included was scarse (martini, daiquiri, mojitos or capirinhas were not included) and food wasn't available at all time for the hotel guests (we had specific time windows to go to eat a sandwich or some fruit at the pool bar). Well for me this was a surprise because I'm used to the old and extraordinary caribean all-inclusive! 3) Beach - the hotel beach was awful because it smelled very bad and was full of algae. also the sand was very dirty. We were so badly impressed with the beach that we only went there once. Fortunatly the hotel pool was great. 4) Food - the food quality was not bad (specially pizzas which were very good). Only a remark: all drinks at breakfast (juices, milk, coffee, tea) were horrible. The only drink that I had while having breakfast was bottled water or peach ice tea. I've also published a review regarding the location Hammamet (Yasmine Hammamet to be more precise) that you are free to read."

• Travel date: 3rd September 2008

You need a man with you

Reviewed 10th October 2012

"I am going to talk here about the Iberostar Solaria in a very honest way as I believe into giving people the correct information about a place before they go. We stayed at the Solaria Iberostar in Hammamet for 7 days and just got back. This is the first time for us (me and my cousin) in Tunisia. We are two females of 25 and 32 years old. The hotel itself is situated on the long beach of Hammamet. Let me tell you that if you are beach lovers you should forget about going to Hammamet. The beach is full and I mean FULL of Camel excrements put in huge piles on the beach rent by hotels. If you can stand the smell of a huge toilet and don't care about hygiene, you will be ok. You will also find the black weed coming in August only in the water. Some days it looks like a huge boilling lava in the water. It is the same for all hotels. Hammamet is a small town that has really nothing interesting to offer. The new Medina behind the hotel is ok to visit but it really gets crowded at nights with tourists as it is constructed for this purpose. Shops, restaurants, coffee places and shops that try to attract tourists with chicha and extremely loud music all over the place. You can't go two steps without having someone pulling you in their shop to buy something. We found a good method to escape. No eye contact with the sellers or the items. If you do look at an item even for seconds you are gone. Now the Iberostar. It is not a five star hotel like rated. The rooms are clean, spacious and have a large bathroom. The pool is definitely not a 5 star hotel pool. The restaurant is definitely more like a canteen restaurant with a big variety but no quality. Nothing of a 5 star for sure. There is no interesting place inside or outside to have a coffee. There are tables and chairs placed the long of the corridor from the restaurant to the reception and you can have a drink there. If you can escape from the animation (in French) guys, trying to get you to go for a drink with them after work or by tombola tickets from them. It might sound like an exaggeration but the place is definitely not made for 2 girls to be on vacation alone. I found the personnel extremely unprofessional asking personal questions. The waiters of the restaurant were taking our plates before we even finished our food without asking. I think that this place should suit people that don't have any company and want to find someone to talk to during their vacation."

• Travel date: 30th August 2008

Would rate it a 4 **

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"We stayed at the Solaria for the week of June 16-22nd and found the hotel to be clean, staff friendly and helpful. Restaurant was quite adequate with a good choice of foods. You do have to cross the street to get the the beach, no food available at the beach so you must come back across the street and lose your spot on the beach. The problem that we ran into is when we went shopping at the Medina, we were approached by a fellow who knew us as customers from the restaurant at the hotel (we did recognize him) who told us he ran a store with his family in the Medina, would we want to come and see his store. We were looking for for a purse for a gift. After haggling for a price and settling on a value we paid for the purse with our Visa card. They seemed to have trouble putting it through, but finally brought the invoice for me to sign folded in half. When I asked to see the amount he took it away and said it was the wrong invoice. I asked for my invoice and got a story that there was a printing error but the information has been transferred directly to the bank !!! After a lengthy discussion I never did get a copy of the invoice, but got many reasons why it was not available. I did get a written receipt for the amount for customs purposes. We were a little wary of this and knew we had to check our Visa statement when we got home. On leaving this store called the "Samar Shop" we were approached by another waiter from the hotel with same story as the first, we told him where to go.. When we returned home we checked our Visa account and sure enough they had put through the invoice for an extra $100, thanks to the written receipt the amount will be reversed by Visa. So be wary of the restaurant waiters."

• Travel date: 8th July 2008

Good Hotel

Reviewed 17th October 2012

"I and my family ( my wife and my son/7years old) stayed in the solaria hotel for a week in March 2008. In overall the hotel is good but I try to show you some pluses and minuses: Pluses: -The room is clean and large. -It has beautiful Spanish architecture. -The staff are good. -It is very close to some interesting places such as Cartagland , Madina shopping center, Shahrzad restaurant, and Marina - You can also visit Frigia animal park using taxi ( Price about 30 Dinar go/wait/back ) the park and its evening show is intersting. minuses: -The food and beverage is not brilliant. If you are a meat eater you will not be absolutely satisfied ( by the way the breakfast is ok) -The hotel facilities comparing to similar hotels in Turkey is not very good ( entertainment, kids garden, Pools, water slid,...) -Be careful about the peoples in the shopping areas around the hotel specially in the old madina. They will try to sell you something with price of even 10 time greater than actual price. ( even a cup of coffee)"

• Travel date: 25th April 2008

Loved it and miss it.

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"Went to iberostar solaria from 17th – 25th oct with my two friends (all aged 17). Its got to be my best holiday so far, had such a good time and didn’t want to leave. It was luxury for us only being young and being in a 5 star hotel and we got 5 star treatment from all the staff, the director of the hotel is my friends uncle, whether that had something to do with it I don’t know. We stayed in the VIP suite which was lovely, as you can see from the photos. The hotel is very clean and modern and we were given clean towels and dressing gowns everyday. When we got there the beds, sink and bathroom floor had rose petals sprinkled around which was pretty. This is the first time I’ve been all inclusive so I was a bit intrigued about the food but was pleasantly surprised, there was a good variety every day and always hot. They had different themes some nights. The animation team was great, always having a laugh and checking if we were ok, as well as the rest of the staff. There was animation every evening which was good ranged from cabaret, miss solaria, Mr Solaria, bingo, different themes to suit all age groups. The pool area was nice and clean and pool was lovely, quite cold so weren’t in it that much and went down the slide a couple of times. Weather was ok not brilliant and a bit cold at times but weren’t expecting it to be hot, still got a bit of a tan. The hotel is sat right on the beach which is great, with its own section. Nice sandy beach which goes on for ages. The medina and marina are quite close about 15 mins walk which has restaurants and bars, nice and pretty at night. Overall we really enjoyed ourselves and would definitely go back if I got the chance."

• Travel date: 13th January 2008

Excellent value

Reviewed 5th November 2012

"We visited the iberostar solaria in march 07 - and we were pleasantly suprised - its maybe not quite the standard of a 5 star hotel in somewhere like tenerife but its still a nice, clean hotel in a really nice location. The staff were brilliant , really helpful, attentive and friendly and compared to the last time i visited tunisia the food was excellent, none of us had an upset stomach once! the rooms are lovely, pools are great , the entertainment was a bit lacking but we put this down to it being out of season, but all in all i would definately recommend this hotel as one of the best in the area - and we must have liked it as we are going back in 4 weeks!"

• Travel date: 28th August 2007

Hotels near Medina Solaria & Thalasso

Top traveller tips for Medina Solaria & Thalasso

• by Jackie G

"take travel kettle and mugs if you want tea or coffee in your room. Not supplied in this part of the word."

• by Samantha S

"I would recommend the Spa treatments"

• by Brenda L

"stay on resort for safety, "

• by Bruce

"Their excellent choice of well cooked food."

• by Pamela61

"This area is excellent for families with children. There are great many places to eat, drink coffee or shop."

Medina Solaria & Thalasso is also called