Bar/Lounge

Good

Great hotel

Reviewed 13th May 2011

"We have stayed at this hotel more than once and are going back this year.Please do not believe all you read about this hotel as in my opinion some reviews could be adversly negative.The staff are all helpfull and welcoming and we have never had anything stolen from our rooms If you go during ramaden the locals can get grumpy as they are not allowed to eat or drink anything from sun up till sundown.The food here is simple and tasty if your willing to try their local dishes which are usually labled in english as well as other languages.The resort of Yasmin has a variety of things to do including ice skating as well as the normal water acivities.The trips are good but would advise you to book with your holiday rep.We we3nt on the two day dessert trip which was awesom would highly reccomend this."

• Travel date: 12th May 2011

Never Again!

Reviewed 25th August 2010

"I'm not sure where to even start with this review, before you think I'm a hard to please old fogey, Im 23 years old, easy going guy and have slept on enough kitchen floors in my student days to be easily pleased. First holiday away with the girlfriend and to be perfectly I genuinely dont think Yasmine Hammamet is ready to be a holiday destination. The hotel seemed pleasant enough, seemed clean, the weather was terrible but not their fault obviously. The staff however were rude and the locals were lucky I didnt punch them in the face (40 year old man with two young children bent down to look up my gf's skirt). Thomas cook wrote to me before I left advising of some building work going on next to the hotel, however we didnt let this put us off as it was described as "minimal" and "just a small amount of painting required" the building looked like it had been hit by a bomb the night before theres no other way of describing it. I'm conscious of rambling on so I'll just list our main gripes and unfortunately this is not a pros and cons list, only cons. - clothing stolen from our room by maids - pirate boat trip - faulty wiring, electrics exposed to heavy rain, elderly woman thrown from one end of the ship to the other because the crew were purposely shaking the boat up and down, it was supposed to be "fun" - pervert locals everywhere you go - because you are british or white, everyone wants to fleece you, Im not talking about haggling in markets Im talking about you took a picture of my camel I want ten dinar, you touched my camel I want ten dinar, u sit on my camel, u ride my camel and so on.... - the food for want of a better word was just disgusting, a caterpillar crawled out of one of my strawberries in the hotel - the beach was dirty we spent an hour on it in the whole two weeks - make sure u stock up on food wherever you can find it because at night there is nowhere to buy food not in the hotel, no local shops etc, also the supermarket only sells drink, crisps and biscuits, dont risk the bread sticks as the local kids fight with them. - no joke, everytime the wind blows you are slapped in the face by a strong stench of urine. In general, adults this is no place for kids, Tunisian holidays are cheap but trust me there is a reason why. I've done this review pretty quickly if anyone would like to discuss with me or ask questions please feel free to email me at [email protected], everything Ive said has not been exaggerated or embelished it is pure fact. Thanks"

• Travel date: 25th August 2010

good after initial changing of rooms

Reviewed 13th April 2010

"I went to marina palace from march with my family. At first when we got there, I have got to say I was not impressed the receptionist handed our keys and left us to it. We were half boardand he did not say where we had to go for breakfast dinner etc. When we went to see the room he had handed the keys for, i have got to say i was not impressed, it hadnt been cleaned and was dusty and very smelly. I went back and got the room changed and the next room only had single beds together and not a double as asked so then I asked again. After the initial upset of changing rooms, the other staff were quite helpful but I have been to other Med countries and stayed at different hotels and I have to say this hotel staff were not as friendly as others I have been to. The pool was quite nice. I do have to say that I dont think it is a chld friendly hotel, there was nothing for the children to do, there was a very small park area with one toddler swing and a slide and no entertainment for the children, there was actually no entertainment for anyone in the hotel. I suppose previously we have always had entertainment in hotels in the evening and also things for the chidren to do where staff would just call the children to do competitions, have a mini disco in the evenings, other comps in the day. This hotel could do with some entertainment in the evening like belly dancing or a singer or comedy shows etc. The room cleaning service was however good and cleaning got done every day with new towels etc. The rooms were very spacious we had a family room with double and 2 single beds for the children and these rooms were quite spacious for us."

• Travel date: 12th April 2010

Our first impression of the hotel was go...

Reviewed 7th October 2008

"Our first impression of the hotel was good when dropped off. We entered the lobby and this was also quite impressive, a big open space leading out to the pool at the back of the hotel. We checked in, and unfortunatly everything went down hill from there. The first room we checked into was not clean, and not what we expected. We informed the reception and were given another room, slightly better overlooking the pool. But the carpet was still dirty and stained, as were the bed covers, lamp shades and walls. Throughout the hotel the wall paper was peeling off, some of the walls had been plastered and never painted over, also the carpets were coming up and enough to break someones neck in the dark. We later discovered our key wouldn't even work properly so had to fiddle for a minute or 2 each time we entered our room. Which was no fun especially in the dark when all corridor lights would be off... god knows why! On our second night the air con broke and was just blowing out hot air. This got fixed at about 2am when we woke up so hot. it lasted about 2 days but broke again. I was suprised to find the grass so long around the pool area which wasnt nice on your feet when returning from the pool. The pool was also full of bits everyday, probably from peoples feet walking on the long grass. but if didnt seam to get cleaned. There were also no signs around the pool for depth or diving areas. The tennis court was found, but like a building site. Also there was table tennis outside, but the table was bent. The pool tables indoors were working, but all the ends of the cues were worn away and no chalk. My main complaint is about the food, it was awful and was pretty much the same each day, or left overs were used up in something else. there was an omelette out every morning, and if not eaten, put out again at night, like most of the food. The fruit was covered in flies everyday and the bread was left out over night. Apart from the awful food i found it very odd and rude how all the staff from the hotel also helped themselves to the buffet during service, apart from the waiters working in the restaurant abviously. Overall i was very dissapointed and the hotel almost ruined our holiday. Thankfully we were only there for 1 week. I wouldn't go back there again and I definatly wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Yasmine Hammamet is a clean tidy place, but very quiet, very boring, few restaurants and no bars or clubs. And the shopkeepers are extremely rude, pushy and annoying, you just can't seam to get away from them."

• Travel date: 7th October 2008

I thought it was a lovely hotel, very cl...

Good
Reviewed 10th June 2008

"I thought it was a lovely hotel, very clean and most of the staff were very friendly and made you feel welcome. Not many english people at all, most of them were french, german or spanish. However, during our stay there was a hotel next door being demolished which every hour or so caused a huge cloud of dust to be scattered all over the pool area outside. I know that this could not have been helped but we were not once warned by our Thomas cook rep about this. Also the food was pretty awful, very bland and a lot of carbs! Not much choice with the food at dinner time and most of the left overs got reused the next day. Also during our stay the receptionist gave somone our room key by mistake and so we were woken up at 5am the one morning by some french man looking just as confused as we were! Not really too good when you think that that could have happend in the afternoon when we were not in our room and he could have helped himself to all of our monies etc.When i reported this to reception i never even got an apology! Also the brochure stated that there were tennis courts and mini golf facilities, well the teenis courts were covered in building materials and there was no mini golf to be seen!! The resort of Yasmine hammamet itself was also a let down, very annoying shopkeepers, no nightlife, no bars what so ever and just generally too quiet. It was nice for a quiet week away but i wont be going back again and i know that fellow guests certainly felt the same way."

• Travel date: 10th June 2008

Shabby hotel, staff very pleasant, had b...

Reviewed 4th June 2008

"Shabby hotel, staff very pleasant, had belongings go missing from room, spa was NOT a spa - it was a dirty little booth with uncaring staff, food was bad, BBQ area and a la catre restaurant did not exist. Chidrens play ground, crazy golf and tennis courts were non existant. Lovely noises coming from a hotel being demomlished one side of the hotel, foundations being laid for a new hotel the other side and the icing on the cake - the actual hotel was being extended. This started at 7 in the morning. Our room was next to the building site. How relaxing!! Hassled every day by people trying to sell excursions. One occassion the man told us "de garge" which is french and very impolite. I did not expect to get hassled in the hotel. I would never recommend this hotel to anybody."

• Travel date: 4th June 2008

Brilliant!!!!! egnore bad reviews!!!

Reviewed 2nd December 2012

"marina palace was the best place i have ever stayed in!!!! the staff know at least 3 languages english included!!! Our room was tieded every day to a very good standard, and surprise flowers on the bed were great to!! I would advise to go in a low key month we went in may its was quiet and very hot!!!! its gorgeous around and you can go for many walks. Our holiday was the best ever and you shouldnt go buy the bad reviews as it was great!!!!!! hope this was helpful p.s before you go do the polite thing and learn sum french or even german they try to understand us so be nice to them!!!!! And if you go to marina find the bar man sami!!! he was fantastic to us!."

• Travel date: 28th May 2008

Very bad service

Reviewed 3rd November 2012

"Very bad service , not up to Western Eu standards. If you are Ok with being treated without smiles, thank you, and please, this is place for you."

• Travel date: 4th October 2007

Marina palace not good

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"Not up to western standards. I agree with gkrolik. Service is bad, with no smiles and lack of wilingness to help."

• Travel date: 3rd October 2007

Terrible place

Reviewed 3rd November 2012

"Don't go there!! Marina Palace ! Terrible place. Afoul service, no smiles, waiter acting like zoo attendant, no respect for "do not disrupt sign on the door" opened anyway. Bottles and glass sitting on the hallway for days. Vomit on the stairs. Balcony door broken never fixed despite three complains and appropriate pepper work.Anyone could walk inside from neighboring rooms. And finally they did not wake me up for my 6;00 am airplane. Never again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't go Tunisia in general. Piles of camel seat on the beach, aggressive merchants, insulting you if you don't buy. Garbage on the beach and in the water. Driving like mad man and even if you on the crossing they will not slow down. even in the tourists zone you will be insulted for drinking or eating during Ramadan. Never again."

• Travel date: 27th September 2007

Had a fabulous holiday at the Marina Palace

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"I stayed at the Marina Palace in Yasmine Hammamet from 13/05/07 - 27/05/07 and overall I had a fantastic holiday. I read some of the other reviews before I went and to be honest they gave me mixed feelings. I think that some people need to realise that this is a good standard 4 star hotel in Africa. 4 star in Africa is not the same as 4 star in the UK or the US. The hotel lobby is very large with lots of marble and gives a very good first impression. Our room was perfectly adequate with a nice sized balcony. The rooms are carpeted. There is individual air conditioning which can be switched on in the room but this was very inefficient. It made little difference to the temperature of the room so I left it off and slept better with the sliding balcony door wide open but the curtains closed, as we were on the front of the hotel we got the early morning sun. The towels seemed to disappear whilst we had breakfast and were replaced later when the room was made up. I would recommend people to take a small hand towel so that you can wash your hands but don't leave it in the bathroom or it might go missing as well (I had to retrieve ours once). There is plenty of hot water all day long. The TV in the bedroom only had 2 english language channels which were BBC World (24 hour news) and a cartoon channel. We stayed on a half board basis and I thought the meals were excellent. Sure, there was some things that I dodn't like the look of but there was always so much choice that it was easy to find something to eat. I put on a stone in weight whilst I was there! The desserts were ok but pretty much the same for the whole 2 weeks. Little square cakes, gateaux, chocolate mousse and fruit. I just longed for some fresh cream to pour over them or maybe some ice cream. The Tunisian wine is very nice and a bottle in the restaurant costs between 14-17 Dinars (GBP £5-6), the rose wines they have are particularly good. The waiters are very friendly and helpful, I heard our regular waiter speaking to guests in six different languages. The pool area is a pleasant place to sunbathe. Contrary to a previous review, mattresses are available for the sunbeds. The life guard will bring them to you, just give him a wave as he walks past and he will bring them out for you. He won't approach you and ask if you want them, you have to ask him. I enjoyed speaking with him, he's a really lovely guy if you make the effort to speak with him. My main criticism of the Marina Palace is that the gardens are in a state. The grass was not cut at all in the 2 weeks we were there and the flower beds are full of weeds. The groundsman seemed obsessed with watering the grass when his time would be put to better use doing a bit of weeding or cutting some of the grass. There was no food available in the pool area. There seems to be one, but it was not in use whilst we were there. The waiters will bring drinks to you at the poolside and will even bring you a take away Pizza from the hotel's Pizzeria. I would rather have had some poolside fast-food available. Helpful hints: Taxi to Hammamet town 6 or 7 Dinars. Taxi to Carthageworld (small theme park) 1.5 Dinars or 10 minute walk. If you walk, call in the Artisan's fixed price shop on the way back for souvenirs. Its really cheap. The literature for Carthageworld shows a picture of an impressive roller coaster. Don't be deceived - they haven't built it yet!!! There is a supermarket and a post office by the roundabout near the hotel - less than 5 minutes walk. There is a lot of development going on in Yasmine at the moment as they are extending the marina and it looks like it might be going on for quite a while. The parts they have finished are, however, absolutely stunning."

• Travel date: 4th June 2007

barmen yes...food no!!

Reviewed 2nd December 2012

"well where to start! on arrival we noticed that there wasnt an british flag flying alongside numerous other countries. this raised suspicions!! when we went to our room, my son aged 11 and daughter aged 18 were really pleased with the size of the room, but it was very basic and just literally a bed and a wardrobe. there was a chair for the dressing table although.... it had wood worm and every evening we head it eating away like a mouse! we put the chair on the balcony and we told our rep about it and she told the reception staff but they placed the same chair back in the room!.... my daughter took it down the corridor and left it!...... onto the food, this was extremely bland and had little variety, every day was the same turkey beef and chicken all plain pieces with very strange gravys...never with a nice sauce or flavouring. although saying this the breakfast was very nice. the pool was lovely except there was no matresses for the beds this was rather uncomfortable. the beach.....well the sea was extremely choppy when we were there and it lasted all holiday. when we walked along the beach the first night my wife cried. it was covered in sea weed. bottle rubbish and nappies!. idont mean sea weed like a bit here and there, there was a coating of sea weed that covered the entire beach and there was giant jcb's raking it into giant piles. there was no signs of beds and noone else barely stepped foot onto the beach. when we walked down the beach on the other side of the marina, there was lots of people laying on beds and it seemed a million times better than the other side, although when we went to lay on a bed we were told that, that part of the beach was privately owned by the hotel behind it, the same applyed to the rest of the beds along that side of the beach. we were told that marina palaces beach is over the other side..... that meant that we were expected to sit on the sea weed whilst listening to jcbs raking it into huge piles with an awful stench... NOPE! we just went for long walks and went around the pool area. there was no entertainment apart from karoke twice a week with awful italians TRYING to sing.... and not much else to do outside the hotel either. every night we just stayed around the bar area and chatted to the very very lovely barmen called mohammed... all of the waiters and barstaff were very nice and we felt sorry for them by the fact that the hotel they worked in was no where near as nice as them. everyday we were woken to the sound of extreme buliding work taking place in the hotel next door, this seemed to be round the clock even with night shifts; and the hotel not having air conditioning you either kept very warm during the night without any windows open, or opened the windows and kept awake all night by the cranes and drills of the workmen. although saying all of the above after a group of us complained the hotel was very eager to make drastic changes to ensure all of the english are happy., but this was rather late as nothing seemed to happen until the last night of our holiday. this was rather a disappointing holiday and definitly not the 4 star rating it holds. we hope that if you do choose to go to the marina palace then you take all of this into account. but we hope that they have made changes to make the holiday alot better."

• Travel date: 14th April 2007

Hotels near Marina Palace

Top traveller tips for Marina Palace

• by lindy

"sample the night life at the madina"

• by maria

"alright if its a bargain!!!!!"

Marina Palace is also called

• Marina Palace Hotel
  • marina palace hotel hammamet
  • marina palace hammamet