Good

A place that a family can relax in

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"Myself, my wife and our teenage daughters stayed for a week at the end of October. Apart from a delay at the transfer end from Monastir airport, to th hotel, we had a very enjoyable stay. The rooms are simply furnished, but very clean; as are the bathrooms. The hotel is an old hotel and compared with modern counterparts somewhat basic; however that does not detract from it whatsoever. There is a variety of choices of food at meal times, which is plentiful, tasty and well cooked and based on local produce. The staff were very pleasant and helpful; it must be accepted that although Tunisia is westernised, it is still male dominated society and you have to accept that they will " look " at any female over the age of 16; but by the same token Tunisians are very family orientated and proud to have visitors to their country. Back to the hotel; the pool area was spotless and well maintained as was the private beach. Once you got into the habit of saying no to the local peddlars on the beach, you go on with enjoying the vista. The spa treatments are well worth the money, especially the massages. Alcohol is readily available inside and outside the hotel and is relative inexpensive.There is local entertainment in the hotel each evening and there are clubs in the vicinity for the younger generation, as our daughters found out and put to good use. A visit to the Medina is a must, but be warned - be prepared to ignore the shop keepers and also it is a custom to bargain for your purchases. Leather goods are of good quality and very reasonable too. We enjoyed our stay so much, that we returned for a further family visit in March this year and will return again in October, all being well."

• Travel date: Sat 5th of April 2008

loved the food

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"I loved the food in the hotel which is very important in Tunisia. The hotel is not too clean which is not surprising in Tunisia. Overall, for Tunisia - a pretty good hotel :)"

• Travel date: Sat 9th of February 2008

Cant believe some of the reviews here

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"We stayed in the Royale Residence apartments adjoining the Hotel Hammamet, and as such used all the facilities of the hotel and ate here and cannot really think of anything to say bad about it.

The staff were all friendly and helpful on both sides, the food excellent and the entertainment entertaining!

We liked it so much we went back a second time, sadly Panorama have taken it out of their brochure and the only company that now seem to go there is Archers whose prices are astronomical.

If we can find a cheaper way to go back we certainly will and would stay at either the hotel or the apartments!"

• Travel date: Mon 28th of May 2007

Would return here!

Reviewed Sat 20th of October 2012

"I stayed in this hotel in July 2006 for one week. I booked the holiday online last minute. I read the reviews and it looked good for the price. Booked on a Friday afternoon was there Saturday night! We arrived late and because we booked so late our names weren't on the list. But we got our room sorted quite fast. Our bags were brought to our room. The complex is set out in a series of seperate blocks, all about 2 storeys in height. We were at the far block on the ground floor, nice big terrace looking onto a wildish garden. The room was a good size, nice a cool. The beds were fine. The bathroom was clean - only issue was it had a sliding door that wasn't noise proof! The tiles in the room were a dark brownish colour, the tv was fine - the usual CNN. It was cleaned everyday.

The pool area was really big. There were pool games in the early morning but when we got to the pool at about 11/12ish it was finishing up, when we were there for all the games it was entertaining to watch. There was never a problem getting a sun bed at the pool. Had to pay for them, but it was only a euro or two. There was a beach bar/cafe, food was plain and service not v fast, but we were on holidays - so were totally relaxed and not phased at all.

The beach was a short 2 min walk down a lovely cool sheltered walk way - which was all trees and flowers. The beach is spotless and there's a great bech cafe/bar. Nice for lunch and a cool drink. There were loads of beach chairs available under special wooden sheltered thingys - great for the heat! 30 degrees C! The guy at the beach and pool the first day was trying to get us to go on a different tours etc and so was some other guy on the beach which was annoying for the first hour - then they got the hint!

There are a good few watersports available also - good laugh!

The main town is 5 mins in a taxi - no problem getting a taxi outside the hotel. They are v cheap also. The main town has a market place - be prepared to be harrassed by the people there to buy all there goods! Great for haggling though.

We got a few tips from our travel rep of places to eat - worth doing as we had a couple of 'not great' places. But that's part of a holiday - trying places etc.

It's not a resort like anything you see in places like Spain etc. The streets are dusty, some buildings are old and crusty but it adds character to the place. Driving into the area, the first few drop off's were at some brand new hotels - all of which looked fab! It was a totally new area. But further out than we were. There were a couple of bars (English and Irish tacky looking jointa) nearish our hotel but we never went there. We were all about the early nights, relaxing by the pool and getting a nice bite to eat!

I would return there again, as a gay couple, we found no issues with 2 guys in a twin room etc. (We pushed the beds together at night and apart in the morning - didn't want to cause a fuss just incase! - but that was us being paranoid) Having said that, we didn't walk around hand-in-hand (as if we ever do lol) but I felt totally comfortable there.

Perhaps if I was going there again I might look into the new hotels, but for what we paid (€450 flights,accom,transfers each) it was great!

Nice big clean relaxing hotel - good memories of a great relaxing holiday!"

• Travel date: Thu 24th of May 2007

Le Hammanasty

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"I shall start by saying that I would never recommend this hotel to anyone, even if they got a cheap deal! I have travelled the world, camped in places with only pit toilets and water tanks and languished in 5 star accommodation. I therefore feel I have a broad horizon to call upon. I can honestly say that this is the worst hotel that I have ever been to. We arrived late at night and were greeted by a man wearing a dirty jacket in a reception that was less than inviting - alarm bells sounded! The room was cramped and was so well past it's sell by date, it should have been binned! (wardrobes seem to be made from painted chipboard). The bathroom so small that the door was prevented from opening by the toilet and that was a good thing!!!!! There was nowhere to get any food for the children and the lounge bar like something out of the dark ages. After a dreadful night's sleep on the hardest beds of all time, we went to breakfast. Appalling beyond words. We had a look around the rest of the hotel and there was nothing to make us smile. I could have cried, it was only that I was putting on a brave face for the boys, that I didn't . There was no way we were going to stay.

I booked this holiday through Wigmore Travel, who were great to deal with. The brochure portrayed this as a 4 Star hotel and we paid £2400 for 7 nights Half Board for the 4 of us. We expected so much more. Thankfully, the rep from Wigmore did not argue and promptly moved us, that very morning, to the Riu Palace Oceana further down the road - of course we had to pay another £1000 for this - which is outrageous (and something I shall take up further with Wigmore), but needs must at the time. Our new hotel was fabulous and I shall be contributing to the comments within Trip Advisor.

Wigmore cost a little more than most travel agents and as such I had expected to get better. Even though the rep was kind, sadly I don't think we shall use them again."

• Travel date: Fri 13th of April 2007

A workmanlike hotel

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"Le Hammamet is medium to large hotel where we stayed for a week in February 2007. It is perhaps unfortunately named, for it is the name both of the hotel, and of the resort in which is situated. It consist of a number of blocks set in a well wooded landscape. We were in one of the largest, a two storey block some 200 yards from the main entrance and reception.

I think I would describe the hotel as workmanlike. Everything seemed to work and it had most facilities - a large outdoor swimming pool which we did to sample, it being February, and a warm indoor pool which was lovely and warm. Perhaps the one snag for anyone wanting a beach holiday in the summer is that it is the wrong side of the road for the seaside - it was matter of crossing the road - it was a cul de sac, so safe for children, and then walk down a leafy avenue about 500 yards in all . The beach looked fine, though the sea was chilly – though wonderful when we got out.

Is workmanlike too harsh a judgment? Perhaps. I certainly would not call it romantic, but I imagine it would cope well in the summer under full load. We rattled around in February of course but we were quoted very good price. It is quite a long way to the south of the centreof Le Hammamet − we were told it was about an hour’s walk long the beach. Apparently there is a noddy train that runs every hour or so into the town. We hired a car and used the hotel as a centre from which to explore the archaeology of Tunisia, and for this purpose it proved fine. The staff were all very friendly and the food very adequate. And the archaeology of Tunisia is wonderful!"

• Travel date: Thu 15th of February 2007

NEVER AGAIN

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"I have heard of this hotel before but I have to say that it was really awful, I cant describe how I dislike it since my arrival. First there were too many people everywhere, at the pool , on the beach and you cant imagine the rush . It was impossible to get a transtat or just a chair to relax. The food was warmed up so that my friends and I got all sick . rooms were terrible- carpest sticky and smelly.
inside the restaurant, I have seen many people smoking and no one had been asked not to do so by staff who didnt care even if there were too many kids around. the worst was at the pool where many teenegers were playing foot ball all day long, pushing each other in the pool. I
have read earlier reviews by other guests and agree that the hotel itself is not bad looking and is German, english and french occupied, but must say that there were only people from north africa .

further more the staff were unhelpful and very rude. water and electricity had been cut off many times . I let you imagine the situation with 42 degré inside the room. I WOULDNT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL AND NEVER STAY THERE AGAIN"

• Travel date: Fri 25th of August 2006

Fantastic Holiday!

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"Just back from possibly one of the best holidays I've had. Only had 1 week there and really could have done with 2. Place is immaculate, very safe, food is lovely, staff are great and the entertainment, although cheesy at times, is really really good! In fact we had such a good time we are going back at the end of Sept but this time we want to go for 2weeks, however are having difficulty booking it past 1 week.....will keep at it tho! This place is well worth a visit!"

• Travel date: Mon 14th of August 2006

Brilliant Holiday!

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"Stayed here from the 17th - 24th July 2005!
Have been to Tunisia a total of 11 times now, cant say this was the best hotel we'v stayed in.. but guaranteed it was the best time I had!

Went with parents and two of my friends..
Our rooms were right at the back, which didnt make much difference to us coz we were always at the hotel entertainment, then we used to go opposite to the Hotel Fourati entertainment (also brilliant), then to our hotel nightclub after which we'd fall asleep outside in reception.
Not the best of ideas sleeping outside at 4am so I wouldnt recommend it.. but with our secuirty guard Kemir watching over us we were safe!
We'd get back to our hotel room by about 5am, fall asleep and up by 7.30am for breaki! Certainly tiring but great fun

Made some brilliant friends with some local Tunisian lads, just a shame we didnt give them our real phone numbers lol
They even tried to teach us to bellydance!!

Food at the restaurant was pretty good, just very very busy coz it was summer.. Waiters were lovely.. :-)
Reception staff were very cold and unfriendly.. first hotel iv been to thats been this way..
Animation team were brilliant, specially Abdul (i think).. Photographer was great too

So was the evening entertainment..
specially the Coco the snake charmer! Not so great when he took me up on stage and I had to run off screaming lol but what a great guy
And the Miss Hammamet was great too.. and The couples competition, that was too funny to watch!

Me and my two friends bought ourselves some Tunisian Hipscarfs while we were there and wore them one night to the entertainment.. We were quite late and got there as it was finishing.. and being of an olive complexion all the other guests thought we were Tunisian and the next act!
So being the hyper chicks we were, we got up on stage and danced (not very well mind)
It was brill
Infact everything was brilliant..
Next stop hopefully, Hotel Fourati!"

• Travel date: Fri 4th of August 2006

27th visit cant wait for 28

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"Excellent holiday, you reach the beach via a private road, food excellent, staff welcoming, ideal for children. Disabled access. Great value for money. Many people return year after year and they all can't be wrong."

• Travel date: Wed 21st of June 2006