Keep Your valuables With You

Reviewed 19th October 2011

"Return visit to the Oceana, what a shock. Bar staff only smile when given a tip and try to make you sign for drinks that you have not had, food average for a RIU Hotel. Room maids superb and trustworthy. Lots of thefts from rooms during our stay, including us, my jewellery stolen. Cash, phones, cameras, ladies underwear etc also taken from other couples rooms, dresses also ripped. Last week of holiday, walked round with passports, money, air tickets, credit cards with us at all times because we were told of a room safe being opened by a thief. You would have hoped that a 5 star RIU Hotel, could give you some comfort feeling of security, sadly not. You save all year for a luxury break in the sun and end up being robbed, but what makes it worse is the Hotel staff try to sweep everything under the carpet as though it has not happened. Security increased, but they didn't have a clue. Not trying to frighten anyone, but please be aware of personal security. Gilly "

• Travel date: 17th October 2011

Be careful

Reviewed 17th October 2011

"We stayed at this hotel at the same time as blue 150952 and agree totally to all of his comments as we were one of the couples who suffered from items together with money going missing. Management did not want to take responsibility and wanted to brush it under the carpet. Afraid we cannot do that as we feel other guests have a right to know just how bad things are."

• Travel date: 15th October 2011

RIU PALACE OCEANA

Reviewed 12th October 2011

"Had 4 holidays here - two this week the latter being from the 4th September 2011 to the 18th September. We had a lovely time and being repeat guest were made especially welcome. Unfortunately whilst we were there a couple who again repeat guests had items of jewellery stolen from their room and it was only the Saturday evening before we were due to leave first thing Sunday that I noticed an item of clothing out our wardrobe had gone missing. I have since learnt since returning that these thefts have continued to a point that safety deposit boxes were broken into. I cannot quite believe that this has happened and it has questioned us whether we should return next year. We have already booked for a week in May 2012 and August/September 2012 for two weeks. The Hotel Manager runs the hotel with very high standards and I am sure he must be devastated as to what is happening. I just hope the problems are resolved and that we will be able to return."

• Travel date: 12th October 2011

Holiday

Reviewed 14th October 2011

"Hotel not what it would appear to be, sadly. After many stays at the Ocean over many years, this last stay was something of a disappointment to say the least. The staff who appear to be friendly we found to be not what they seem. We found money missing from our hotel room safe and clothes both missing and damaged. This was reported to both hotel staff and local authorities, both dealt with the matter with total distain, we were just a nuisance. When the staff thought it appropriate they disconnected out tv signal just to cause us some inconvenience and at the last minute even the bell boy decided not to assist us with our bags. Mungie, the head waiter is very good at advising his staff on how to treat guests to their best advantage in gaining tips and benefits from them."

• Travel date: 8th October 2011

Be Very Careful

Reviewed 14th October 2011

"We have just got back from another 4 weeks at the Oceana and I am not really sure were to start with this my 3rd review. Anyone who has read our previous reviews will have noted nothing but positive impressions, sadly the worm has turned. I won’t go into all that happened this holiday as it would fill a book, but suffice to say that finally the light has been switched on for my wife and I, who I think have both worn rose tinted glasses over the last few years but both now feel violated, conned, abused, laughed at, and treated as cash cows. The problem for the Hotel is that those of us who have had money/clothing stolen are all repeat guests who know and speak to each other so it is difficult for them to cover up the problem. Theft is rife in the hotel, £750.00 cash from a “bum bag” in a bedroom (English couple), £300.00 from a room safe, plus underwear stolen from room and clothing/shoes tried on and dresses ripped (English couple), my wifes gold stolen from our room (necklaces, earings, bracelets etc). There are other instances we are aware of, but obviously the Hotel were adamant that we would not find out the full story. Sadly, when a few of our friends went to Reception to get information on the problems we had all encountered, they were not told the truth: my wife didn’t lose her jewellery in the room, apparently she left them round the pool(sorry-rubbish), our friends didn’t have their safe compromised the money was left in a dish(sorry-rubbish), the bum bag was left on the bed(sorry-rubbish). I have read an earlier review regarding poor behaviour in the Hotel by locals, I can fully concur all that they witnessed and wrote about. Sadly it is their country, but they have no idea how to behave: I will clarify that, “some” have no idea how to behave. I think that they are known as “new money Tunisians”, who have surfaced since the revolution. Bit of advice- Friday/Saturday/Sunday use the beach and set up your sunbeds way over to the right hand side away from the Beach Bar which attracts them. We made the mistake of going in front of the Bar and were surrounded within minutes. I think that perhaps it is a game to wind up the Europeans as much as possible. All I can say is that the Manager is doing his best, the food, accom, gardens, beach (oh yes, sorry there are also cases of beach bag thefts from your sunbed when you pop to the loo etc). As a final note that is minor, but perhaps is indicative of how we are really thought of, our friends who had their room safe opened and also clothing stolen, lost all TV signals for the last couple of days of their stay. Guess what, yep the TV in our lounge had the aerial cable pulled out and the remote control for the bedroom TV had the batteries removed. We spent the last week of our holiday with a chair propped up against the door just in case, and security guys walking the corridors, relaxing or what. On leaving (5th Oct 2011), I opened our room safe and spotted the security foil covering the safe electronics (inside door close to hinges), had been ripped open exposing all workings, not sure why but informed the Manager. Anyone going to the Oceana, will have a great, relaxing time but please please don’t take any gold or valuables with you, and be very aware of room security, as I suspect the problem is far greater than we know. When you get the smiley smiley face and handshake from staff, watch their eyes, as they will focus 1st on your hand to see if there is any money in it. Sorry if this has soured some peoples impressions of the Hotel, but I have tried to give facts and be objective, rather than emotive and subjective ( I am a Magistrate of some 11 years so am used to that approach). Will we ever return, erm I think you can guess. Final nail in the coffin from our perspective, and I will not mention names for obvious reasons: Riu has a Regional Manager who was called to the Hotel because of the problems. I was being advised by reception that our trip to the Police Station had been arranged for a certain time and day: bless me, the owner and Regional Manager are sat about 5m away from me, chatting, having a drink and couldn’t even be bothered to get up and say sorry for what had happened. Correct, we never spoke to him once during our stay even though we know him from previous visits, very sad but once again indicative of how we are valued. Whilst nothing to do with this review, can both Gilly and I thank everyone who gave us their help and support. All nationalities: German, French, Dutch, Portuguese, English etc. Hope this may have been of help. "

• Travel date: 8th October 2011

Oceana

Reviewed 6th October 2011

"We have been Oceana's biggest fans spendiong between 10 - 12 weeks every year for the past 15 years. However our latest visit will be our last, what a difference! Hotel deteriorated so quickly, housekeeping and cleaning staff not usual standard, food not as good as previous visits, bar staff over charging for drinks etc. If that was not bad enough, the main problem is theft. Money, gold, sunglasses, cameras, mobile phones, bags for the beach and clothes all stolen during our stay. Goodness knows just how bad it is. "

• Travel date: 6th October 2011

Care and affection

Reviewed 10th May 2011

"My friend and i have just returned from our 3rd visit ,the more we go the more we want to go back ,,from management ,chefs ,waiters ,absolutely everyone treat you with respect and care ,we both have health issues ,this must be the easiest Hotel from Doncaster airport to reaching the Hotel which to us we feel like we have been to a top of the range health spa purely from the care we are given ,absolutely no reason to feel apprehensive for visiting these super people . "

• Travel date: 9th May 2011

truely 5 star

Reviewed 14th October 2012

"Fantastic in every respect. Large clean rooms, friendly and competent staff, nothing is too much trouble. We are vegetarians, and the dining room manager and head chef went out of their way to make sure we were suitably catered for. We travelled with our four month old baby and all our needs eg cot, bottle warmer, were met. Really enjoyed our stay and would recommend this hotel for a touch of paradise in Tunisia."

• Travel date: 7th June 2007

An Oasis in Tunisia

Reviewed 3rd December 2012

"We have just returned from the Oceana with our two daughters 12 &17 years. On arrival we found fruit and drinks in our rooms,they were happy for us to replenish the fruit daily from the dining room.Our room was very large with a good sized bathroom and balcony. The main outdoor pool was exellent surrounded by grass this made a welcome change from concrete or tiles.Attendants layed towels on the loungers as soon as you arrived ,waiters brought drinks.We found the indoor pool very good on colder days(it was april). The main restaurant was buffet style there was a more formal restaurant if you wished. From arrival to departure the staff were very helpful and obliging nothing was too much trouble. The tennis courts are very good there is also table tennis. We have stayed at some of the best hotels in the world and found the Oceana to be exellent value for money,we cannot recommend this hotel enough."

• Travel date: 22nd April 2007

Relaxing Riu

Reviewed 8th December 2012

"We arrived at the Riu Palace Oceana on our 2nd day in Tunisia. We had just been moved from the truly dreadful Le Hammamet Hotel and were thrilled when the taxi pulled up outside the hotel, even more thrilled on entering the hotel. We had one of the best holidays ever. The staff couldn't have done more to rectify the poor start to our holiday. Nothing was too much trouble. They gave us a room to use, until interconnecting rooms were ready. Our rooms were wonderful and huge, with bathrobes, complimentary fruit, wine and water and although we didn't have a pool or sea view, we looked over the gardens and could see the distant Hammamet. The staff were fantastic and friendly, the food outstanding - as our waistlines can testify to, the pool and grounds truly lovely. Definitely 5 Star all round. We couldn't have asked for better. We shall definitely go back later this year."

• Travel date: 13th April 2007

Fantastic - can't wait to return

Reviewed 8th December 2012

"What can I say ..... apart from a few days' rain, this would've been the perfect holiday. The hotel was wonderful in every respect. The rooms are massive, the food is superb and the staff are very, very friendly. I am a single traveller and was very dubious when the rep at the aiport told me I had a private transfer. I got into a minibus with a Tunisian man who spoke very little English, but it was fine, no problem and he got me to the hotel safely. On arrival at the hotel, check-in was easy with a welcome drink waiting for me. I was shown to my room, which was huge and very clean, with some fruit, wine, flowers and water waiting for me. This is the first hotel I've stayed in where I never once heard my neighbours which is a wonderful treat I think!! The hotel was not busy, being March, but there were still plenty of people about, the Brits being in the minority. The hotel has a buffet restaurant and an A La Carte restaurant and I tried both. The food is equally as nice in whichever one you eat in, fresh and hot. In fact I thought I would've put more weight on as I clearly over-indulged!! Who wouldn't?! I found the drinks were a bit pricey as the first night I asked for a G&T and unfortunately wasn't offered the choice of local brand or Gordons. I was given Gordons which was 17 dinars (about £7) so watch out if you don't want to pay that much, be sure to stipulate which brand you want. The cheapest was about £3/£4 and was okay. I found this to be a very comfortable hotel in every respect and can't wait to go back. I'm almost on the verge of booking for April 2008 for my birthday, I only wish I could go back sooner!!! If you're thinking of trying this hotel, do - you won't regret it!!"

• Travel date: 18th March 2007

First Class Quiet Relaxing Hotel

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"A superb hotel with the most attentive and friendliest of staff. Large rooms with fabulous views. Wonderfully cared for grounds and pool and excellent pool side service. Recently refurbished dining room with the widest selection of starters, main courses and desserts. Be prepared to come back a few pounds heavier. Service was exemplary and didn't think it could be improved. However, after a few dinars tip, we were treated like royalty. This hotel is definitely the place to go if you want to be pampered and to completely chill out. If you want interactive or energetic evening entertainment then you need to go elsewhere, although this may be different at a busier time of year. Whilst we were there last week, evenings were more piano bar or very low volume live entertainment in a mellow atmosphere. The staff at the Lobby Bar were very engaging and entertainment enough for us. Would definitely go again."

• Travel date: 11th March 2007

Hotels near Hotel TUI SENSIMAR OCEANA Resort & Spa

Top traveller tips for Hotel TUI SENSIMAR OCEANA Resort & Spa

• by Gilly

"Don't leave valuables in your room"

• by blue150952

"Take Security Seriously, check the foil security tape on the inside of the room safe door for tampering"

• by sheila

"Be careful, staff friendly to your face but when incidents like this happen they do not want to know"

• by My girls

"Accept that you are in a different culture and embrace it"

Hotel TUI SENSIMAR OCEANA Resort & Spa is also called

• Riu Palace Oceana Hammamet Hotel
  • Riu Palace Oceana
  • riu palace oceana hammamet