brilliant holiday!

Reviewed 28th October 2010

"brilliant holiday! we went as a big group there was 11 of us, 3 kids and 8 adults! when we first arrived the staff were brilliant they got our bags of the coach and got us straight to reception and checked in, on of the couples we were with had to wait about an hour cause there room wasn't ready but that was fine because they put their bags in our room while they were waiting and we went looking round. our first room was a big room, me and my husband had the bedroom with an en suite on the first floor of the room while my daughter had a double bed in her room which was on the ground floor and she loved it, also on the ground floor there was a kitchen and a lounge and a bathroom, it had a big sitting area outside of it. the first night we got there it was raining and we were meeting our friends in the bar but our room was soo far away me and my daughter had to walk through all the rain just to get there. and when we got back my daughter had a leak in her room. the next morning we went straight to reception and they were great they were polite and apologised and moved us too another room which was closer to reception and also closer to the other family who had two kids who we came with so it was easier for the kids to be closer because my daughter was 14 i was cautious of her walking through the mmarket on her own so it was much easiler for the children to be a few rooms away from each other. the beach was lovely and the people selling things on the beach were very friendly and often sat down and had a crack with us which was very nice. they also were very friendly with the children and the youngest child loved them building sandcastles with her. the staff in the restaurant were very friendly and chatty and looked after us really well, because we were in a big group they reserved there biggest table for us. they brought bottles of wine over and lemonade and beers without us even asking. it was great and it was hard saying bye to them because we got so close to them. the food was good there was loads of variety and the chips were delicious and so was the icecream they had loads of different flavours and the children loved it! the entertainment was good for the children and the entertainment team were very chatty and definately entertained the children, some of the shows they put on i didnt quite get but the children found it very funny. the market was handy for when we needed to do some shopping, the shop owners were trying to get you to go into the shop but if you just said no thanks they are friendly and just leave you non of them very rude or anything like that. we found that they get ruder if you ignore them but if you just say no thanks they are fine, it was a bit weird when i was walking with my daughter because they were always trying to talk to her but she was fine with it and we knew they were only joking so you could have a laugh with them. if you bought anything of them if they see you walking they will always say hello my friend or something like that. very friendly! we always had a good crack with the bar staff aswell and they were very friendly and my friend even tought one of the waiters a new drink and everytime we asked for it she knew exactly what it was and she said she loved it and was going to put it on the cocktail list. overall it was a great holiday and i would definately reccomend it, all the staff are friendly and the hotel is great and i recomend it mostly to familys! it was a brilliant holiday and i would definately go again! "

• Travel date: 27th October 2010

Noisy at night, carthage land a con, good holiday though

Reviewed 14th October 2010

"The hotel, about an hour from the airport, is fine. We were given a large detached room with nobody below - great as we have 2 girls. It backed on to the main road but was reasonably quiet until - 10pm the fun parks start. They don't stop until 1am. After 2 sleepless nights we got a room move to a suite near the main pool. Much better apart from the drunks returning late at night. Food was very good local specialities with enough rubbish (pizzas, chips and ice cream) to keep the kids happy. Carthage land is very expensive for what it is and the other 'attractions' included with your 'unlimited entry for the day' ticket are very poor and outdated. The advertised opening times are not fixed at all. If you want to go, it is worth it if you are on all inclusive as it's free, ask the hotel to confirm opening times on the day. All advertising for carthage land shows a roller coaster. It does not exist. We went on every ride, some three times and had run out of things to do within an hour. The major rides (log flume and river rapids) were so badly understaffed that they were closing one to open the other. Staff, with the exception of Mr Hameed (hope I spelt your name correctly) in the ball play area, were unhelpful and generally miserable. Mr Hameed single handedly made our day - joining in with us and our children when it was pouring with rain - and we all played happily for an hour even though it had stopped raining and most others had gone home. We were there for ten days and in that time we met two victims of aqualand. Some of the rides are dangerous with bits of metal sticking out! we didn't go because of this. Haggle for everything (except carthage land tickets), book the pirate ship trip directly, enjoy the quad bike tour, excellent parasailing and cinderella carriage rides. Take your own photos on these trips/rides so you can get theirs for very little if you want them. We had a great time despite the room/noise/carthage land. "

• Travel date: 14th October 2010

Pat & Dave, Scotland Sep/Oct 2010

Reviewed 8th October 2010

"Absolutely brilliant! We had a fantanstic time. The staff were really helpful and couldn't do enough for you - everyone tried to make your holiday special and succeeded. The cleaners, as well leaving your room clean, left towels artistically displayed in your room, the waiting staff in both the bar and restaurant made you feel as if you were the only important people there, the reception staff were friendly and helpful and the animantion staff made everything fun as well as giving very professional shows. Didn't like the hassle in the medina but you have to remember that is their way of life and not let it put you off. Will be back!!"

• Travel date: 7th October 2010

Amazing ! Please read this ...

Reviewed 22nd September 2010

"Me and my mum only stayed there for a week but felt like we had been there for years. We were treated like queens and were waited on hand and foot basically, in the resteruant, by reception and the bar staff! The staff is what really made the hotel special as they were always friendly, polite, always smiling and would always make time to chat to you and ask what you wanted, how you were feeling, was there anything you needed etc... And they didn't know just english they knew alot of other languages and would always make the effort to speak and converse with others no matter where you were from and especially if you had just arrived in the hotel they made you feel welcome as soon as you arrived! The animation team (the entertainment staff) were brilliant, friendly, energetic and seemed genuinley happy to be there they always had different activities on and every night would invite you to there shows, they are based surrounding the pool and again were always smiling and talking to others and they were very hard working people! The staff in the resteruant always pulled out our chairs for us to sit down and poured us drinks and set our table if it hadnt been done previously and always talked and greeted us as soon as you entered the hotel. Our rooms were spacious, clean, tidy and the beds were really comfortable and if you ran into the cleaners they also would greet you with a friendly smile also, in general the hotel was completley spotless and clean down to the front desk, and the pools were beautiful, clean and the right temperature to take a dip in, with sun loungers everywhere and if you needed a matress for your sun lounger a member of staff would always offer you one/ get one for you! The food was very healthy and delicious and you always had a wide range to choose from, always fresh salad and fruit aswell as spicy meat dishes and if your vegeterian they had alot of choice to choose from too! This hotel had its own beach and it's only a 5 min walk away and that was beautiful and spotless with a toilet and a little bar by the side of it which was helpful. To top it off the hotel was beautiful and it looked like a castle, modern but at the same time traditional looking so gave it an exotic feel to it. It was big and spacious without it being over crowded! In the hotel complex there was alot to explore surrounding the hotel were shops, resteruants even a mini theme park, a hammam spa, hair salon, henna stands, sheesha bar outside the hotel was a water park which you could visit aswell and clubs and taxis nearby, so there was alot to do and visit around and surrounding the hotel which meant you didnt run out of anything to do or see! This hotel was very cheap considering it's high standard of quality and me and my mother were very pleased with it and will want to go back again soon. I reccomend this hotel to anyone as i had such a good experience, you would be missing out if you didnt go ! "

• Travel date: 19th September 2010

Fantastic!!

Reviewed 19th August 2010

"I was a bit apprehensive of heading here on holidays after reading some of these reviews but any doubt I had about the place vanquished as soon as we got there. We arrived late in the night/ early in the morning after a delayed flight and a very long wait in immigration. As soon as we got there they were looking after us. We had booked a 2 bedroom apartment but when we got there it was like a little house. Downstairs had 2 couches ( one doubled as a bed, we brought it upstairs into the 2 single bed room ), a tv, a bathroom and a nice little kitchen area. Upstairs were two bedrooms, one double bed, 2 singles, 2 bathrooms. Very spacious and lovely air conditioning!! Right outside our door was the smaller of the 2 pools, the inside pool was closed while we were there, I think it reopens in October. The small pool was lovely and quiet, I spent most of my time in that one. THere was plenty of sun loungers. There is a bigger pool, that one has a bit more life, there's music and games going on there. The hotel staff were lovely, the bar staff in particular, we weren't all inclusive or half board but things weren't that expensive. It was my birthday when I was over and we were out for dinner, came back and was getting something from the fridge and I noticed there was a birthday cake in the fridge courtesy of them, I thought it was a lovely touch! The lifeguards were lovely too! The medina, I walked it every day with my sister who has blond hair and blue eyes and I had no problem, the traders made jokes and chatted but we never felt uncomfortable! You have to haggle, you'll get a great price. I got loads of things for alot less than the asking price! The hotel restaurants are lovely, another lovely restaurant is on the strip across the way from the beach, when you go down the road from the hotel towards the beach, turn right when you reach the road and walk a small while and you'll see seats and tables on the side of the road, the trees in front of it have colored wrap around lights. We went there twice and it was lovely. There was also a lovely English Steakhouse around the corner from the hotel near the elephant statues, well worth a visit. I'd recommend going to the shop in the medina, when you go in the main gates, take the first right and you'll see a sign, you can get water, coke, pasta etc in there. The last night we were there, there was a show on in the hotel restaurant, an outside show, it was very good!! Be careful crossing the roads because there are some crazy drivers there and zebra crossings don't seem to mean anything!! The beach was nice too, plenty of loungers again although it was a bit dirty at places but went you get out into the water, it is as clear and blue! It's lovely, you'll see all little fish in there too!! Overall I'd recommend this place! I have no complaints and usually I'm very picky! Although I'd advise to bring alot of suntan lotion, it's very hot and the sun can be a bit intense so make sure to drink water!! "

• Travel date: 19th August 2010

A noisy, basic hotel

Reviewed 11th August 2010

"Awful. Spent a week here Aug 1st to Aug 8th. The other reviews are mainly families, but we travelled as a couple - the hotel is split into two distinct parts the standard rooms and the apartments. The apartments are modern but the standard rooms are in the Medina. I would not describe these as even 3 star, very basic and dark. We complained and complained when we arrived about our room. The first room was like a prison cell and had tiny windows and no balcony. We then moved to another room and had to move which had a shared balcony, we were disappointed but stoical. But then we had to move due to the noise (which I'll deal with later). We then moved to a third room on the third night and again the NOISE was unbelievable. Eventually we were offered a junior suite - but this was again dark, with no balcony, but at least it was quiet. So there we go - one week and four rooms. This wasn't just us either, every couple that arrived with us was at reception the following morning to complain about their room. The thing that I got from the reviews before I went was that it was a busy place, but what it wasn't clear about was that the whole hotel is spread throughout the medina. The old section of the hotel, which is everything apart from the top priced suites is in small blocks no more that one storey high. The music, bands and shops don't shut until 1am, if you have any ideas about sleeping before this time forget it. DO NOT COME HERE IF YOU WANT TO RELAX. I didn't mind the salesmen in the souks, I have travelled through Asia and spent a great holiday in Marrakech and in general it was like water off a ducks back, however, one of the salesmen swore at me on my final day calling me a 'MF' - I reported this and he was immediately hauled off by hotel security. We went B & B and I thought that this was a lucky escape as we were considering going all inclusive, the food is OK but samey and the dining hall is uninspiring and dated. This is the first time I had gone on a package tour in about ten years as I usually prefer to travel independently and it was awful. Yasmine Hammamet itself is a very busy resort - there are some good restaurants, the beach is excellent and clean - if a little busy. The one big downer is the airport though which is chaos. It took one and three quarter hours - yes 1 3/4 hrs! to get through passport control. We eventually got to the hotel FOUR hours after we landed! this is a big chunk of a week long holiday."

• Travel date: 10th August 2010

Accommodation Great - but avoid Henna Tattoos!

Reviewed 31st August 2009

"We had a last minute family holiday in August, 3 adults and 2 children. The accommodation was spacious, light, and nicely furnished. All rooms are around the pool which was never too busy. The kitchen is a fridge, microwave which grills slowly and 2 rings, but okay if you plan to eat out most of the time. You may need to ask for more plates, glasses etc as some rooms were low on supplies. The staff were friendly and attentive and although tipping is expected 1 dinar is a good tip (less then 50p). The rooms are cleaned daily, we tipped the maid each day and possibly as a result she put flowers in our room and decorated the beds which the kids loved. HENNA TATTOOS - DON'T DO IT! Our daughters wanted tattoos, proper Henna is a vegatable dye should be brown/orange and last just 3 days. The tattoos our children were given contain a chemical dye which is illegal in the UK for use on skin and has caused a severe painful reaction, requiring hospital treatment. They may now be over sensitive to a common dye in cosmetic products for the rest of their lives. Don't even bother with a test as it can take up to 3 weeks to react so you have no guarantee that it is safe. The person who did our children was based in the Medina opposite the bouncy castles, he showed us a certificate from the hospital saying it was safe and said that he had been their 4 years with no complaints - when I went back to show him what had happened to my daughter he was "less then helpful" and this was before my other child started to react. Don't be taken in by their salemanship it really is not worth risking it. Don't be put off by the Medina, you don't need to walk through it to leave your hotel there is an entrance through reception so you can walk around the outside rather than through the middle. Even if you do want to walk through but don't want to be dragged into shops, just wear sunglasses, don't give eye contact, hold on to your children, keep walking and don't answer their questions. It isn't scarey - just treat it as a game. The beach is lovely, gently shelving soft sand - lovely for children and there are bannana boats, paragliding etc. Restaurants are cheap £5-£15 each including drinks but the quality is variable. The floating one at the Marina is reccommended. Food shopping is limited to local foods, there is a very small supermarket in the Medina and a small one near Marina which is cheaper. Taxis are cheap and plentiful and should be metered, but they don't seem to bother. It should cost about 1.5 dinar to the Marina so get a price first. Changing money - the exchange rate is fixed by the government so it is easiest to change money at reception. You cannot take dinars into or out of Tunisia so will have to change any leftover money back into sterling at the airport, they will charge 3% commission but watch what they give you back in sterling as they gave my husband 40% less than they should have and even after complaining he was still £8 out of pocket. My advice would be try not have anything left over at the end of the holiday. Hope you found this helpful and have a lovely holiday. "

• Travel date: 31st August 2009

food

Reviewed 27th October 2008

"We went Self Catering But used to buffet restraunt we made numerous complaints along with other guest about quality and tempreture of food. Upon returning we have both been diagnosed with salmanela type e. we no that there were other couples who were not well if they could contact us at [email protected] we would be grateful. "

• Travel date: 27th October 2008

On arrival was greeted by lovely recepti...

Reviewed 8th September 2008

"On arrival was greeted by lovely reception staff, in a nice air conditioned Hotel. Our accomodation was lovely and the housekeeping staff laid beautiful floral arrangements on our bed daily. You are only 300 metres from the sandy beach and there is a designated area of sunbeds that as guests you can use so this saves you alot. You are also in the main area of everything going on, but its worth a visit into Hammamet and to experience the old medina, there is a cafe to the side over looking the sea, and they make beautiful chocolate and almond crepes definately worth a visit. The hotel food was varied and tasty, perhaps at times needed to be hotter, but nevertheless, the fresh fruit was inabundance, and we sometimes had a fresh omelette made for breakfast. We used taxi`s but always agreed a price before getting in and its cheap to go from place to place. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful, and were not pushy in the respect of trying to get you to go on trips etc. We had a relaxing time, and went down to the Marina and have to say this time of year was hot but I would say its a very romantic destination, and the arcitecture, and Arabic Music, just adds to the whole feel. Would totally recommend this Hotel, and will return again without any hesitation, and if you need to call home, use the taxiphone`s, they are so cheap, and can talk for ages on just 2, dinars."

• Travel date: 8th September 2008

Amazin!!! This hotel offers everything w...

Reviewed 27th May 2008

"Amazin!!! This hotel offers everything within the walls of the medina. The hotel swimming pool was clean and quiet with pool side service. The staff were great help and friendly. The shopper owners within the medina were pushy but by the end of the week we had grown a very thick skin. They have a habbit of targettin us women to get us into shop, but they soon knew i wasn't having any of it! The food was very italian based, but there are so many pubs and eateries to chose from. Its a very big smokin culture too, and you will see many of the men around the tables smoking the pipe- its only tabacco don't worry! The marina is worth the walk, and the beach is just about 200 metres, with residence having there own section. The water sports at the beach are good fun but be warned don't book any tours with operator- RIP OFF!! you can't give the money away its so cheap so feel free to spend a little and live a lot! ENJOY!!"

• Travel date: 27th May 2008

The hotel was lovely. There were a few ...

Reviewed 26th February 2008

"The hotel was lovely. There were a few members of staff that were very helpful and we loved how they made swan towels and sprinkled rose petals on the bed. We thought the tours were a total rip off. You are paying for a taxi driver, not a tour. We wanted to go on a guided tour of the desert and the guy booking it was trying to send us on a trip with one of his friends and 3xtimes the price than a proper guided tour. It was only when we refused that he said there was a coach tour available. This really left us with a bad taste. As for Tunisa as a whole, there is a major problem. The merchants. They were unbearable. I expect some pushing selling but not like this. Everyone we met complained about it. When you left your hotel to go into the walled city, it was so imposing and intrusive. The were literally taking your hands and trying to drag you into the restaurants. The worst part was that everything they were selling was extremely overpriced, even after bartering them down, and very badly made. Everything that I have bought, fell apart within 2-3 wearings. This included handbags, shoes and sunglasses. We will never return to Tunisa, and think the hotel should do something about the aggressiveness of the merchants outside their hotel. It made us not want to leave the room."

• Travel date: 26th February 2008

This hotel was fantastic! It formed part...

Reviewed 12th November 2007

"This hotel was fantastic! It formed part of a complex with the medina - lots of shops, market stalls, a spa, restaurants, mini supermarket, cash point, and museum. Everything you needed. The hotel staff were brilliant, very helpful, and polite and more than happy to show you where you needed to go. When we first arrived (travelled with my friend and her 6 month old baby girl), we given a welcome drink. We were originally given a room on the first floor but the concierge arranged for us to have a room on the ground floor to make access easier with the baby's pram. The room was more of an apartment with 2 floors - bedroom and bathroom upstairs with a living room, kitchen, and second bathroom downstairs. Very clean and great value for money! The maids even made designs with towels and flower petals on the bed - we had a swan design left on the bed, it was beautiful! Food served at the hotel's restaurant was excellent - buffet style with plenty on offer to choose from. Waiters were very chatty and helpful. Our rep gave us lots of options to see the rest of Tunisia. We opted for the 2 day trip to the Sahara Desert and a visit to the animal park with a meal and entertainment afterwards. The Sahara trip was fantastic and would definitely recommend it! The only problem we found was the hotel that we stayed at in the evening we arrived at the Sahara Desert. Very basic, no hot water even after we asked for it to be sorted out, air conditioning not working, and not much lighting around the complex (very dark outside!). The tour guide was brilliant - very informative and knew his stuff. No problems taking a baby on the tour - although I would recommend taking certain things to sterilise the baby's bottles etc as the hotel at the Sahara couldn't supply anything. Overall we had a fantastic time and would definitely return to this hotel. Few tips - a few dinars (approx 80p) always goes a long way when tipping the staff, especially since most of them only earn 10 dinars a day! Learn a bit of Arabic - most people in Tunisia speak Arabic, French, and a little English, but they seemed really pleased when you talked to them in Arabic, even if it was only a few basic words!! If you do stay at this hotel, look out for 2 young men (concierges) called Ahmed and Hassan - very helpful, polite, and great fun!"

• Travel date: 12th November 2007

Hotels near Hotel Diar Lemdina

Top traveller tips for Hotel Diar Lemdina

• by D.L

"fun family holiday destination"

• by Megan:)

"It's a nice relaxing place, no mad nightlife if thats what you're after!! "

• by Teacherman

"it's a noisy place where it is hard to relax."

Hotel Diar Lemdina is also called

• Diar Lemdina Hotel
  • Residence Diar Le Medina Hotel
  • diar lemdina residences hammamet