Good

Hell On Earth!!!!!!!

Reviewed Mon 10th of December 2012

"DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT GOING!

Well what can I say, it was a holiday from hell. Don't make the mistake of going there. There is absolutely nothing to do. Me and my husband both 23 years old slept most of the time out of boredom. The area is secluded, only closed down shops, no soul on the beach, and the outdoor pool at the hotel didn't have water. FOOD? if thats what you can call it is the most discusting ever. When I read reviews and people moaned they just catered for Italians, I thought I like Italian food. BUT it didnt taste Italian and it didnt taste like food. We paid for half board but ended up eating out everyday. Ate at Shakespeare which is a British Bar. The only thing people did was go to the bar and back in their rooms. All the guests at the hotel moaned. The entertainment did not entertain anyone. It was all in Italian as they couldn't speak english. We stayed for 2 weeks which felt like two lifetimes. NEVER AGAIN!"

• Travel date: Mon 11th of February 2008

Don't go here!!!

Reviewed Mon 10th of December 2012

"I have just returned from this Hotel with my friend, we stayed here from Wed 21.11.07 to the Sun 25.11.07 , after I had booked this hotel I did read reviews and to my horror I thought it just cant be that bad, from the photos, BUT it was. The rooms are basic but clean, it is the food that I found to be the worse I ever come across. There was no choice for breakfast - eggs and more eggs. The evening meal was even worse and the food was always cold, I only faced the food for one night and that was enough.The rest of our holiday we ate at the Shakespere English pub around the corner, as there is nothng else around. This Hotel is run for OAP ITALIANS so everything is geared up for them with no translation in English at all, which you don't know when you book it. All I can say is that I am so pleased I had not taken my family to this hotel as they would of starved. As for the resort, I was not impressed and would not be returning .This hotel is stuck in middle of no-where and also had a very loud disco next door playing for most of the night . If only I had taken the reviews more seriously. Also the word 'light inclusive' is very misleading as you only receive one glass of their wine with your meal this would be a night mare in the summer. And to top all of this trip when we arrived at the airport our flight did not exsist to return to Gatwick it was actually a Birmingham flight to our horror - good old Thomas Cook ."

• Travel date: Wed 28th of November 2007

serail

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"My husband and I just came back from hammamet on sun 11/11/07. When i booked this hotel i had originally wanted another hotel and area in tunisia, so when i phoned bookable holidays were told that the hotel what we originally wanted was booked up but they had another 4 star hotel called the serail and as they only had 2 seats left on flight ,I booked this not knowing what hotel reviews were like . When I went on trip advisor i looked in horror at the reviews and I assurred myself that we have read them before and it wont be that bad. WELL it was, for a 4 star it was pretty basic rooms although the maids did brighten up the rooms with the decorative towels ect.
We knew about all inc light reading reviews. but the drink was quite cheap if local, The food was cold and i am a cook so was very wary of eating cold food, all i ate was veg and salad, An english couple told us about a bar called shakespear turn left at bel air and down a few yards food is great, had steak pie and was heaven. The weather could have been better but they cant help that. The best time we had was the 2 day trip to sahara and the hotel there is gorgeous the food is good and hot !!! Would not go to Tunisia again could not stand hassel, taxi drivers, and market stall workers what a pain glad to be home."

• Travel date: Tue 13th of November 2007

This one is NOT!! for the English!

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"Booked via teletext with jetline .co.uk travel all inclusive! told after we had booked and paid it was in fact all inclusive light!!!! looked on web sites re this as not happy with explanation from teletext person as vague! It actually means.... beer wine with meals only sangria n soft drinks, tea n coffee any other time but only between 11am n 11pm!. when queried it with them was told we could change hotel but at a cost of £520 which included cancellation fee!! we declined as already paid £10058 for hol for all inc! so we were stuck with it! We made the best of the hol yes ALL ITALIANS but we had a bloody good lot who made us laugh n very welcome and became our friends despite the language barrier. we met up with other brits later in the 2ndwk as we were there for 2wks!! had brill time went to sahara which is a must if you go to tunisia! Food same for dinner as lunch just presented differently! but must say well cooked n presented but if you dislike pasta rice(or are allergic as my partner is) then its meat n potaoes n salad. But lots of gooey fattening cakes for afters! or past its best fruit!. Entetainment ALL in italian!!! You get the jist in some ways but it gives you ONE BIG HEADACHE with ALL the screaming n shouting that they do which is part of the entertainment!!! Hotel and bar staff very friendly n helpful so that a big plus for the hotel rooms not so good!! changed ours 1st day as thought we were in staff accomodation that hadnt been cleaned or updated for years i cried i was so upset on seeing it!! DONT GO UNLESS YOU REALLY HAVE TO IT DEFINITELY NOT FOR ENGLISH!! DOESNT EVEN CATER FOR US."

• Travel date: Thu 8th of November 2007

very bad

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"we stayed at this hotel and found it very much anti english
The food was disgusting and after paying for all inclusive we had to eat out ,also we had to pay for drinks outside of the restraunt , entertainment was all in italian ,we would not go back to this hotel if it was free, we would advise any english people not to go to this hotel"

• Travel date: Wed 24th of October 2007

holiday from hell

Reviewed Wed 10th of October 2012

"my wife and i booked this hotel and holiday with fleet way travel on their recemondation told them the reviews told us we dont go by them we got to tunis airport 10.40 pm local time we got outside and was confroted by about three people shouting taxi we told them where we were going were told its double this time of night anyway we had a ride from hell we got dumped on roadside was told 20mins later to get into a van which was very dirty the driver drove like he just robbed a bank missing cars by inches arrived in a town driver said ok out now go no further we had to get another taxi which cost us another 20 dena alltogether it cost us 95 dena the holiday company told us 20 mins from airport to hotel would cost us 10 dena we left airport 10.40 arrived 1.45 am local time we were shatterd what a start but thats only the begining food terrible only cater for italians was cold dinner food left was put for snacks by the pool where flys coverd it within mins wasnt all inclusive had to pay for water drinks only time itwas free at meal times .the beach was ten mins away and full of camel mess and looked like a tip the huts were falling down and if you dared stay on the beach you had to pay for sun loungers there wasnt any gym just two weight benches at the back behind the pool on the grass .entertainment was all in italian if you could call it entertainment but they tried .anyway we put up with it for one week in that time i was ill in bed with sickness and trots the travel agent was contacted to no avail the rep was no good we took upon ourselves to get a flight home thanks to nigel from thomson travel we got home a week early please dont go to this hotel or that surrounding area iwouldnt go back if fleetway travel bought the hotel for me. j s haines"

• Travel date: Tue 16th of October 2007

Dont go if you havent don't

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"Booked a holiday here off Teletext holidays, good photos, 4* and all inclusive. What a better way to spend a week in sunshine in October less than three hours flight time. We arrived and was immediately told it was all inclusive (light) . No drinks except at meal times. We complained as we werent sold this, We rang England, left messages with A1 travel but they never got back to us until two days left on holiday when it was too late to move hotels. The rep was pretty useless and the hotel staff gave it a great big 'me no understand'. The only good thing about the hotel was the pool. It doesnt have gym, the indoor pool is closed, it only has one bar and the private beech is miles away and isnt private. The rooms are tired and the lifts broke down every day. They only cater for the italians both food and entertainment. If you dont eat it at lunch time you'll get it rehashed for dinner. drinks only with meals. Ask for a bottle of water they will charge you. We had to pay for water to take to the room after 11PM. No towels with sun beds. The italians are Ok, yep 90% italians rest french, german and british. All british had been misold holiday and all were complaining. Breakfast is a joke. Taxis are cheap but the hassle is unbearable. The Tunisians will actually grab you to get you in the shop. The British Bar next door tried to rip us off and its full of prostitutes. So if you havent booked look elsewhere you can do much better. If you have booked enjoy the sunshine but youll have to grin and bear the rest."

• Travel date: Fri 12th of October 2007

too loud man

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"Well we stayed here for 1 week and on first impression it seemed ok. Nice reception, staff friendly and helpfull. Our room was ok basic but ok, view nice of the pool. We booked all inclusive here its not the usual all inclusive so check the small print? Only alcohol with your meals no other times pool snack bar forget it bits of cake n hard cold pizza free tea and coffee though. Food was basically for the italians 90% of the holiday makers were italian. They have there own entertainment people (if you can call them that) . Gorgeous weather and beach move further down the beach for peace and quiet a little red & yellow shack serves the best food on the beach. Lets get to the night time bit dodgy round the corner from the hotel this is were to my astonishment the tourist government have decided to let all the disco's do what they like bit of a back hander has gone on if you ask me. Well we got back to the hotel and settled down for the night about 11.30 we were a bit tired so we had an early night. About 12.30 it sounded like the dj was on our balcony the thumping sound of rave music bellowing out over the area I could'nt beleive it I like loud music but this was ridiculous. I complained and got a room at the front of the hotel if you get a room with a pool view dont expect any sleep til about 4 in the morning. What a pity such a nice place has been spoiled by something that belongs in blackpool or benidorm . just a tip for tip for the Tunisian tourist industry close the disco's and people will return ."

• Travel date: Sat 4th of August 2007

Nitghtmare Hotel !!!

Reviewed Thu 18th of October 2012

"We spent a week at this hotel. I have been all arround the world. Worst experience ever. Not a 4 stars hotel. I would say 2 stars because I am in a good mood today.
Hotel is dated and so are its surroundings.
The room itself was a joke. Looked like a hospital saloon and smelled like one. Very dated décor and the view was to a brick wall, couldn’t see the sea anywhere. We told the bell boy that we don’t want to keep the room and that we want another one. Went back to reception and told the receptionist to change our room. Luckily I speak Italian because that was the main language around the hotel. I told the receptionist that I want a nice room. She gave us a room on the 3rd floor, facing the pool. Again it was a very dated room and also dirty.The room was not ready and on top of that I had to flush the toilet because it was disgusting. I went back to reception and told the lady receptionist that this is a joke and I would like a clean and decent room. At last they gave me a room on the ground floor facing a brick wall. Tired of changing rooms I took that one. The room was no better than the other two.
Restaurant looked and smelled like a canteen. Food was horrible and everyday we were served pasta and fish. Pizza was always cold wheatear you went for dinner at 19:00 when it started or at 21:30 when it finished. I have eaten pasta on my holiday to cover me for an entire year. My partner is not a fussy eater and still he barely managed to eat something decent.
The all inclusive plan was a joke. We went on the hotel beach and they asked us to pay for the sun beds. On our first day we paid for a beer 2 dinnars, the next day they tried to charge us 3 dinnars.
The beach was miles away from the hotel and always full of locals. Next to the hotel there was a construction site, both on the left side and in front.
Staff in reception was most of the time unfriendly. The only lady working in reception was rude and had no clue on customer service.
I have pictures that prove how dissapointing the room and the hotel were. I cannot believe that this hotel is first of all advertised in UK. It is a hotel that caterers only for Italians. Everything there (food, entertainment, staff) went around the Italian guests. Entertainment was in Italian and only for the Italians. English guests were not asked at any point to participate.
Not worth considering for a holiday.
There so many more great places and hotels in the nearby.
Try Yasmine .,, nice resort.
I don't want to scary the ones who already booked the hotel.I hope they will be more lucky than we did.
My review is mostly for people who want to book. Please don't do the same mistake as we did . If you have dreams about a nice holiday don;t choose Hammamet Serail."

• Travel date: Sun 29th of July 2007

Absolutely discusting!

Reviewed Wed 10th of October 2012

"Myself (24) and a good friend (31) of mine were booked to stay at this hotel through an independent online travel agency. Upon looking at the beautiful photos of the hotel and the description of the 4 STAR RATING we were anticipating staying in such a wonderful hotel all inclusive. However on arrival it was quite the opposite.....The reception was airy and in its own way welcoming. We were shown to our rooms along stained carpets and dark corridors. We put this shabbiness aside and expectantly followed the porter into the room. This can only be described as a hostel/bedsit. It was filthy and smelly with water dripping everywhere and paint chipping off the worn furniture. The view from the room was disappointing, and looked like a dumping ground.

We decided to venture outside to take a look at the surroundings at the hotel. The 'entertainments room' resembled a working mens club and smelt musty. There didn't seem to be an awful lot of activity at the hotel. We were hungry so we went to the poolside to get snacks and all that they offered were the minutest pieces of pastry like pieces served on serviettes, and nothing else. The all inclusive drinks only included beer or wine (this was an error we believe on our part as we misread the info). The pool seemed to be the best part so far, as it looked clean.

We phoned our rep who said he would arrange for us to be shown around alternative rooms. We agreed but we had already made our minds up, and got in our own taxi that evening to go and look at a neighbouring hotel we had heard excellent reviews on - the 'Hotel Les Orangeres' (a review on this hotel can be found on this site too by ourselves). We stayed one uncomfortable night and then we informed our rep that we would like to move immediately and scrambled our money together to pay for the transfer. We were told at reception that they had no currency exchange for my travellers cheques although there was a sign only a few metres away saying there was at the specified time! Reluctantly they gave in and we left the hotel immediately....in fact you couldn't see us for dust!"

• Travel date: Fri 27th of July 2007