Ignore horrible reviews

Reviewed Fri 10th of July 2009

"I have just got back from a long weekend at the Sun Beach Resort Hotel and must say I had a very pleasant experience. I'd read a number of these reviews and was starting to feel a little nervous about taking our 15 strong work party to this hotel for a mini break. After reading horror stories of tasteless beer, raw meat, horrible people and moldy bathrooms It was not the best start to our little outing. However, these couldn't be further from the truth if they tried. The staff were lovely and always tried to help, even if we knew little French or German (it helps to at least acknowledge them in their native language). The swimming pool toilets were NOT disgusting and if for any reason your Balcony doors did not close there are safes you can keep your personal belongings in. The Food was fine....no signs of "chicken only" like stated in previous reviews. There was a wide range of salads, pork, beef, rice, chips, pasta etc etc and for those that did not want to taste the local cuisine, there is a BBQ and Pizza. There is a dedicated restaurant above the buffet for you to book an intimate table for a more structured 4 course meal. There is plenty to do as the Hotel reps give you lots of information on Tours and days out. The beach offers lots of activities such as Volley Ball, Jet Skiing, Banana Boating, Canoeing and paragliding. The beer, wine and Cocktails all tasted fine....although you do need to have a few of them to get a bit tipsy!!! All in all I would recommend. For all those that rated this 1 or 2....Stop being so fussy, take the time to understand that you're in a Muslim country and that not everyone can speak English, remember that not every cuisine consists of bacon, eggs or fish and chips and that the hotel does the best it can. Yes the Animation team can get a little OTT, but it's their job to keep the kids entertained and to make sure everyone is happy. If you don't want to do something have the initiative to say NO! Oh! and the so called 10 minute massage from the SPA was a full hour for me and was absolutely wonderful so no complaints from me at all"

• Travel date: Thu 9th of July 2009

Having read a bunch of reviews on German...

Reviewed Fri 5th of May 2006

"Having read a bunch of reviews on German, French and English websites about this hotel, and most of them bordering on the abysmal, it was with some trepidation I left with my family for a week’s well-earned vacation. In fact, having a rather active imagination, I came within an inch of canceling our trip. I’m glad I didn’t. It seems that most reviewers are either enraged about something, and if not, they are completely over the top about the place. There are few well-balanced reviews, so I’ll try to make mine as fair as I can and take up some of the points many reviewers (especially on the German sites) address. In short, I find that the Sun Beach Resort gives excellent value for money and I would not hesitate to go there another time. The place is well-run, professional, clean, and no, the drinks do not taste of chlorine! We arrived late Friday night, two adults and two small boys (4 and 1 years old). On arrival, I asked the receptionist if we could have a baby cot for the room, as I hadn’t booked one in advance. He looked at his watch and told me it would be in our room in half an hour at the most. Ten minutes later an already made baby cot was carried into our room. I have traveled much and stayed in many finer hotels around the world, and have rarely encountered this level of service. Top marks for that one. The room was big enough for the four of us and spotlessly clean. It was cleaned every day, towels changed daily, everything worked as it should. The view from our room was a bit dull, though, but as we didn’t spend much time there, we hardly cared. The general cleanliness of the resort I find is beyond reproach. While it is true that the poolside toilets develop quite a stink in the course of the day, I do not blame the hotel. I blame half-drunk holidaymakers who, not to put too fine a point on it, **** all over the place, don’t flush, don’t wipe their bums (with the evidence left behind floating in the water) and certainly don’t wash their hands. The cleaning ladies run to and fro all day, but can’t keep up – hardly the hotel’s fault. A few ants in the hotel room. Big deal. A bit of wildlife is to be expected – this is Africa, after all. On our return home, my four-year old summed up Tunisia like this: There are three kinds of animal in Tunisia: Sparrows, ants, and palm trees. Another word on the cleaning staff: They kept kissing our youngest son, but that’s not why I have such a good opinion of them – they do their job well, and we tipped them regularly. I advise you do the same. We did not participate in any of the activities arranged by the animators, but there were plenty to choose from – it was simply that with two almost-babies, you don’t join in archery or belly-dancing and all the wild rest of it. If you get bored, it’s your own fault. The animators were all young and cosmopolitan, most of them speaking at least two or three foreign languages – invariably friendly, easygoing and cheerful, and they will actively try to draw your children into the activities and to befriend them. If our children had been a bit older, we would hardly have seen them, I’m sure. However, being Danish, our eldest son couldn’t communicate with the animators so well, but he made great friends there nonetheless. Many reviewers (not on this site) harp about the meals – how the food is cold, badly cooked, nothing to choose from, gives you typhoid, downright dangerous to eat etc. Well, good food is an essential part of a good holiday in my opinion, so I took a lot of interest in the meals. And in my view the meals were great. The variety, while not overwhelming, is more than adequate for a week’s dining without having to pick the same stuff every night. For the timid, there was always pasta and fries, for the adventurous, you could choose from a wide variety of local dishes, which, I suspect, are downgraded in their spiciness so as not to give people blisters on their lips. There are cooks at hand to prepare something fresh all the time – be it omlettes, fried fish or on the Tunisian-theme night, some stuff I don’t even have a name for, but which was good! I even grew accustomed to harissa, the red-hot chili/garlic paste the locals adore so much. Every evening, there was something new, all of it freshly made, some of it a bit alien to my palate, but isn’t that why we go on vacation? All in all, a treat. Then there was the cake table… It looked fabulous, arranged as it was with imagination and wit, and the different cakes, sweets and pies were delicious, although much of it far too sweet for my taste. I never strayed far from the strawberry pie and the ice cream, but there was so much else to choose from. We took no precautions whatsoever and suffered no diarrhea or any such malaise. On my last trip to Turkey, I spend most of it on the toilet, guzzling water. Not so here. The pool is great – big and well-suited for both little ones and adults. You can actually take a real swim in it, as it is both long and deep (and, of course, super clean), with a shallow children’s area at both ends. Splendid! If you grow tired of it, you can sample the other pools at the resort. The beach is smallish, and once you pass out of the hotel’s section of the beach, it can be filthy, with bits of rusting iron and other debris lying around. A real shame – the natural setting is spectacular, overlooking the Bay of Tunis and bordered by lush green mountains on both sides. Try going there after nightfall and watch the city lights in Tunis, in Carthage and on the promontory where Sidi Bou Said is perched. Gorgeous! I saw no dead fish and did not to the best of my knowledge swim in sewage. The water was fine, the sandy bottom rockless. The hotel's beach area was cleaned savagely every morning - you could always dig up a few cigarette butts, but - again - you cannot blame the hotel for the nasty habits of its guests. The weather was a bit fickle, though – if you expect Saharan conditions be advised that this is northern Tunisia, where the climate is pretty much as it is in southern France. And while this is fine, there can be quite a few rainy days in the spring. On one such day, we hired a local taxi and had him take us to the Medina in Tunis, Carthage and the little hilltop tourist trap of Sidi Bou Saïd. This turned out to be a good idea. We had our own enthusiastic local guide for the day and a car at our beck and call for the total sum of 80 dinars – about 50 euro. Considering that the organised bus tours cost about 50 dinars per person, this was a bargain, and much to be preferred. Our driver spoke only French, though, but if you don’t expect a running commentary on everything, and you don’t speak French, it’s a good option nonetheless. You can book taxis in the reception – for short trips, just go out the somewhat intimidating front gates and hail one. Don’t be put off by the security staff – they may look tough, but they’re there to assist you. A one-way trip to central Tunis costs 10 dinars on the meter! If that isn’t cheap for a 25 km ride, I don’t know what is. As languages go, it’s true that most staffers prefer German or French - English seems to be more optional. If you have a bit of French, you’ll go a long way. If you are in a tight spot and can’t make yourself understood, just approach some of the French guests and ask if they’ll help you. I’m sure they will. But when confronted with someone speaking rapid English in a Yorkshire dialect, the reception staff throws in the towel, as would I. Be patient. English patient. I encountered several British guests there, and it was not my impression that the staff actively discriminates against Britons – and why on earth would they? I urge you, dear prospective visitor, not to pay heed to these allegations. Some reviewers say this resort is in the middle of nowhere. Actually, this is both true and not true at the same time. The resort is close to a Tunis suburb called Hammam-Lif and close to another town called Soliman – you can walk there in ten minutes, tops. Both towns have shops and cafes, where women are not exactly forbidden to come, but certainly not an everyday sight. If you want to go shopping or visit cafés, go to Tunis, though. While Soliman and even Bordj Cedria are actual towns, they are not really suited for strolling around and just passing time. In Tunis, on the long Avenue Bourguiba, which is the city’s beating heart, you might as well be in Nice or Barcelona – fashionably clad young women in sunglasses flash their hi-tech mobile phones at café tables, and elegantly suited business men tap away at their laptops. At the end of the Avenue lies the entrance to the Medina, which is another world altogether. The Medina: Before leaving, we were told by other travelers that we ought to be very, very careful if we so much as set foot inside the medina. Maybe I look big and scary, or maybe I look poor, but we had no problems whatsoever of any kind. I do recommend that you keep your things and your wits about you, as you would anywhere else. As for persistent shopkeepers, take it in your stride, smile and have a laugh with them, but be adamant when need be. I'm sure you can also actually buy stuff there at good value, although all I bought was an ice cream. Anyway, that's nothing to do with the hotel. If I were to give points on a scale from 0 to 10, I would give this establishment 8 points. Two things deduct from my rating. I guess that amounts to two points. First, the variety of drinks is very limited. This is to be expected in a Moslem country, even one with such an easygoing attitude towards alcohol such as Tunisia. The liquors are all Tunisian, and this limits the bartender’s range very dramatically. In fact, you are restricted to beer, wine, and the cocktail a la maison, which consists of some of the local stuff and is very good, though served in tiny glasses, which makes you feel self-conscious the fifth time you walk up to the bar on the same afternoon. Foreign liquors are very expensive, so I can’t blame the hotel that you can’t ask for a free Glenlivet at the bar, but it is still a pity. If you expect endless Pina Coladas poolside, you should go to Mauritius (and pay a lot more for the trip). If facing a week without a single malt is not an option, you should bring your own, as one reviewer has suggested (I did – thanks for the tip). But, as I wrote at the beginning, although many reviewers seem to find a note of chlorine in everything drinkable, I for the life of me could not – it all tasted fine to me. Secondly, you will be constantly accosted by people selling camel rides, boat trips, quad bike adventures and the like. This practice is obviously condoned by the hotel, but in my view it should be discontinued at once. One guy in particular annoyed me – Abdoul the Would-Be Magellan in his captain’s outfit, who, on our first day, physically forced a boat trip ticket into my hand and demanded 80 euro for it. I had to tell him in what I felt were no uncertain terms that I was not going to bring an 18-month toddler onto a phony pirate ship rolling around in the middle of the Mediterranean – in the end, after he had approached me several times afterwards, I had to be somewhat more firm with him than I like to be, and he left me alone after that. Abdoul the Cardboard Pirate wasn’t the only one, just the most persistent, and I really think a hotel, even a holiday resort, should keep itself above allowing its guests to be harassed in this manner on its premises. All told (actually, not all, but there is a limit to everything, even this review), the Sun Beach Resort is a great place to bring children, relax, eat from a fine buffet thrice a day and bask in the pool. It’s also conveniently close to Tunis, which fact you ought to take advantage of. The whole place is run in a professional, courteous, easygoing manner which really appeals to me. And, yes, I’d gladly go again, even at the chance of another encounter with aforesaid archenemy Abdoul. Morten Leth Jacobsen Denmark"

• Travel date: Fri 5th of May 2006

Just returned from a week at this resort...

Reviewed Mon 31st of October 2005

"Just returned from a week at this resort. Like other reviewers, I was a bit anxious - having booked and then saw some very bad reviews! I still find it rather amusing at the very different scores people gave the resort - just shows you, you can't please all the people all of the time! Overall we had a good week. The weather was wonderful (great, because it was pouring with rain in England!!). The room was very clean, it was cleaned every day. Towels were changed every day and the bedding, about 3 times.

The staff were delightful - their English was limited but then I don't speak Arabic - people who don't attempt to speak in other languages (we get on well with our limited French) should stay at home!! the manager even put flowers on our table for our last night - how charming is that!?
Admittedly the food wasn't brilliant but we didn't expect it to be - people must remember that you can't expect the equivalent of an English 4* hotel to be the same abroad - their criteria is obviously different and for what we paid - which was very reasonable - we didn't expect more.

Overall it's worth giving it a go - although a word of caution - we were told that when the three linked resorts were full i.e. at the height of the season - it holds 4,000 people!!! I don't think it would have been nearly so pleasant - so, if you want my advice - go 'out of season' and you'll have a great time!

• Travel date: Mon 31st of October 2005

Having read some reviews about Sun Beach...

Reviewed Tue 31st of May 2005

"Having read some reviews about Sun Beach I was worried my friends and I had been hasty when booking and should have researched the hotel first, however I am glad we didn’t as we would have missed out on a great holiday.

The hotel was lovely and the rooms clean and air conditioned. The pool was huge and the variety of food was excellent so long as you are happy to try stuff you don’t get at home (if you’re after McDonald’s stay at home or try a bigger resort, thought they did do really nice chips a few times). The wine and spirits were not bad, I didn’t try the beer.

The staff were friendly and helpful, not hostile towards English people like we had heard, most of the staff spoke good English but we tried out our limited French with those who didn’t and coped quite well, it is after all quite ignorant to expect every foreigner to be fluent in English, especially when you are visiting their country. There were a few English guests but most were French or German. The only problem we encountered was that our balcony door would not lock, however within an hour of us reporting this it had been fixed.

If you’re looking for somewhere with a lot of nightlife this isn't the place to come but if you just want to relax, or if you have children I would recommend this hotel. There is cheesy entertainment on until 11pm and a night club near by, lots of activities to do during the day, such as aqua aerobics and beach volleyball and they often do quiz’s by the pool. All of this in translated from French into German and English for everyone to join in.

There were 3 excursions on offer including one to Tunis, Carthage and Sidi Bou Said with plenty opportunities to shop in the markets, I would recommend this, it was good value for money and again, everything was translated into English and German. If you don’t go on this it is worth a trip to Tunis anyway as it’s not far, and the Medina is cheaper than the hotel shops. We got a taxi one day for about £15 between us to take us there and pick us up a few hours later. There is a train station at the top of the road which is much cheaper.

The other excursion we went on was traditional Tunisian entertainment and dinner in Hammamet.
This was not bad, men loved the belly dancer and there was a guy performing stunts with swords etc but we were left sitting for over an hour before we even got anything to drink while the rest of the guests arrived. Also, if you are animal friendly you probably wouldn’t appreciate the prodding and tormenting of snakes and lizards purely to get the audience to scream.

Overall we were really pleased with everything about the hotel and would definitely go there again.

• Travel date: Tue 31st of May 2005

Reading the reviews before I left, I’d...

Reviewed Tue 31st of May 2005

"Reading the reviews before I left, I’d thought we had perhaps not done our research thoroughly before booking as well. However, I now feel that those who have given this hotel a bad review have been way too harsh on the place. The hotel was well maintained, clean (exactly like the picture) and the staff were friendly despite speaking little English (though good enough to get you by) there is a pleasant English rep there anyway who was helpful throughout The all inclusive food was good but repetitive but there was enough variety there to last you a week and I didn’t feel ill once. Beer, wine and soft beverages were available till 11pm and they were ok too.

I think people need to be realistic and think about how much they paid. For me this was definitely value for money, if you want 5* paradise in the sun then go and pay the going rate and take yourself to the Caribbean otherwise quite moaning. The only downside was the lack of nightlife but considering it is an Arab country, they have made enough concessions to accommodate the Europeans and the least we can do is respect their culture.

The key I think to enjoy yourself is to go on the different trips organised, in particular the Sahara explore is a MUST it takes you away from the resort for 2days on the road down to the Sahara and around most of Tunisia (yet again great value for money at £55/person which covers food, transport and hotel stay). You may want to go to Tunis (the capital) you can get on the taxi from outside the resort for 1 Dina to the station down the road, hop on the train which runs every 20mins to Tunis for less than 1 Dina (0.80 Dina) each, the journey takes about 40 mins and its safe. Once at Tunis station, the big market is about 5mins walk from the station where you can get cheap bargains but be warned the traders start off at a ridiculous price but you can always haggle it down to next to nothing (i.e. a chess board cost me 14 Dina’s despite the trader starting off at over 100 Dina’s the key is to walk away and they’ll call you back).

Overall, I would say that it was a good holiday, great value for money, I would recommend it for first time visitors to Africa, and couples etc though don’t expect any nightlife at all, if you want a clubbing holiday then take yourselves to Greece or Spain. Happy to give u more info at: [email protected]

• Travel date: Tue 31st of May 2005

To call this place a 4star hotel is a di...

Reviewed Sat 30th of April 2005

"To call this place a 4star hotel is a disgrace, having stayed in various types of accommodation over the years this place takes the biscuit.

Although the room was always clean and the maid very helpful that was where it all stopped, the food or should I say pig swill that was served up to you day after day was shocking with no taste or flavour or choice I wouldn’t of give it to my dogs.

The beer tasted like shandy with an alkaselser in it and you would have had to have drank 30 halves (served in plastic cups) to have even got a fresh on. The place is full of French and German guests and as soon as they found out we were English we might as well of shot ourselves in the head.

PLEASE PLEASE TAKE THE WARNING THAT I HAVE GIVEN YOU AND DONT GO TO THE SUN BEACH RESORT AS YOU WILL HAVE THE HOLIDAY FROM HELL,WE DID AND SO DID THE OTHER 6 ENGLISH AND WELSH COUPLES AND FAMILIES THAT WERE THEIR TOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

• Travel date: Sat 30th of April 2005

I attended Sun Beach Resort, Tunis, Tuni...

Reviewed Tue 1st of March 2005

"I attended Sun Beach Resort, Tunis, Tunisia at the end of May 2005.

The resort is 3 complexes (Sun Beach Resort, Caribbean World and another - I am told a French operator) linked together with a large wall around them making you feel a bit like a prisoner but also safe.

The resort itself has a mixture of people German, French and Americans together with the English.

My opinion is that the resort is clean and safe. The food is mostly local and there is alot of fish on the menu together with many other dishes. As it was an all inclusive so I could try all the dishing without worrying whether or not I like the dish. There is food for children, things like pizza (thin crust though!!)

During the day you can join the entertainers playing games like water-polo or be left to sunbath either at the beach or around the fresh water pool enjoying the free drinks

In the evening, the entertainment is Butlins like, which is enjoyable for the kids. This lasts until 11pm be which time most are ready for bed. However, if you do still feel like dancing the night away there is a disco which is open to 2am

I had a double room and the room was cleaned every day. The room was basic and it is true the TV programmes are in French. However when it is 85 degrees and free drinks I aim to spend as little time as possible in my room!!

The down points - it must be said that the entertainment is limited and if you do not fancy it there is not much else to do apart from playing cards. The resort is in the middle of nowhere so I would recommend going on some organised trips as this will give you a break from the resort.

I personally didn’t think much of the all-inclusive beer however you can purchase some better quality beer if you ask and are willing to pay a little extra. The red wine is what I mostly stuck to!!

My top tip is to take a bottle of whisky with you - Tunisia is a dry country and the whisky is a great bargaining tool!! Apparently Johnnie Walker Black label is highly prized - The Tunisians like to barter, but in Whisky you have something they cannot get to easily!!

All in all I returned home with a nice tan and fully re-charged for my return to work. It is a families resort and would recommended the resort to youngsters looking for a wild time!!

• Travel date: Tue 1st of March 2005

Excellent - fairly last minute and expec...

Reviewed Tue 31st of August 2004

"Excellent - fairly last minute and expected to be cheap and cheerful (less than £600 each for 2 weeks' all inclusive seemed fine by me!)

A minor whinge - in that initially we were placed in the Caribbean World resort as Sun Beach was full. Once we had moved, though, all was well.

We had a huge airy room (double AND twin beds with a sort of dividing wall) as well as a great balcony, and bathroom included bath and shower. Air conditioning worked fine (in our case 24/7 till the engineer came - to be fair, reception was helpful and service was speedy).

Gorgeous pool, spotless and with good depth variation so plenty of options to splash in the shallow ends as well as swim for real. I have never seen a pool shaped as a river - believe me, it is delightful. The kids and mums were happy at one end whilst the water polo or aqua aerobics were at another, and people could potter quietly if they wanted in between. Loads of sunbeds, sun or shade, and no hassle. Bliss!

Please - why bother going abroad if all you want to do is complain about the lack of English food and drink? And get used to it, not everyone in the world speaks English! (Not that the staff didn’t here - just not all of them, and not all were fluent). But come on, guys - if you can’t be bothered to try any French or German (or sign language if you are desperate) then stay at home - or try Spain!

The drink - ok, it was basic but then I don’t go on holiday to experience exactly what I can at home. Daytime was fine on water (still or fizzy) fanta, Coke or sprite, and occasional shandy. Evenings - go for beer or Muscat-and-sprite. Rose wine was better than red (In my honest opinion).

The food - again, basic in some ways - but I defy anyone who complains of lack of variety to tell me (truthfully) that they offer over 18 items at breakfast. The evening meals offered four or five main courses, a choice of veg, pasta, salads, bread and more. The BBQ was great - the crevettes were to die for and well worth the queue. And the Chinese stir fry was good too.

At home, I don’t even bother with breakfast. Here there was juice, tea/coffee, bread, various pastries and several types of jam (including apricot and fig), and if I’d wanted there were omelettes (cooked to order) as well as the choice of cereals/fruit/nuts/yoghurt and ham, salami or cheese.

The bottom line: for me, any meal where I don’t have to cook or wash up has got to be OK!

The staff were helpful and pleasant. And let’s be honest - if you don’t treat people like idiots or slaves, they respond better.

The resort is in the middle of nowhere but you can explore by taxi or train (and the transfer from the airport was nice and quick!) There were trips offered (but we did those last time, when we stayed in Hammamet so we were happy to be lazy). Some people went on the pirate boat trip and were disappointed so I am glad we stayed by the pool.

There are a few shops just outside the resort entrance - a massage place, an internet cafe, a shoe shop, jewellery and so on - so you could get basics (extra sun tan cream in our case). There is also a hairdresser and beauty salon and a tattoo (henna I think, or black ink - stencil though, nothing flash).

They hold a weekly market at the Caribbean World resort (literally across the road) which again was basic and offered the usual tourist tat - but if you want the real Tunis, why settle for a resort-based holiday?

The sun was great but be warned - it was very hot. We were glad of the thunder storms in the second week, and the rain - the following day was back to wall-to-wall blue sky but a lot fresher!

All in all - we thoroughly enjoyed it and would certainly go again."

• Travel date: Tue 31st of August 2004

My partner and me arrived at this Hotel...

Reviewed Tue 31st of August 2004

"My partner and me arrived at this Hotel on the 17th Sept for Ten days on all inclusive basis. First impression on arrival was nice Hotel and room quite nice. Was not to impressed with the location as outside the hotel gates was like being in the middle of the local tip. Not 4 star in my opinion.

The food was not edible and the lack of hygiene in the restaurant put both of us of eating anything in this resort after just one visit.

There was no variety of drink on offer at the bar unless you liked local beer or wine which neither of us drink. There was no spirits on offer unless you were willing to pay 7 Dinah for vodka.

After just the first day we decided to take a taxi and investigate some of the resorts further south. We were taken to Hammamat by our taxi driver and instantly thought this is where we would like to stay.

This is a beautiful resort with lots more variety of restaurants and shops to browse, unlike Borj Cedria which is too remote. We investigated various Hotels in this area and decided to go back to sun beach pack our case and move to Royal Azur Hotel in Hammamet. This was the smartest move we did the whole ten days, the staff at Royal Azur were excellent and we could have whatever food and drink we liked with no fear of becoming ill.

We went on quite a few trips including the Camel trek which was superb.

Finally l would go back to Tunisia but l would give Sun beach a wide berth and go and stay further south in an established resort like Hammamet where the food is edible and the choice of things to do are far superior to what’s on offer in Borj Cedria.

A final word of warning if you use the Taxi drivers located outside the Sun Beach be careful to agree a price before you get in as you can get ripped off as we did"

• Travel date: Tue 31st of August 2004

This is the worst resort I have ever sta...

Reviewed Tue 31st of August 2004

"This is the worst resort I have ever stayed at. This is more like a 2 star hotel than a 4 star hotel.

The hotel staff did not speak English and you were ignored once they discovered you were British. Fortunately I spoke a little French, which helped as the resort caters solely for French and German tourists.

Raw sewerage was being pumped into the sea and dead fish and jellyfish could be seen not far from where children and adults were bathing in the sea.

There were flies in the wine, I was short changed at the bar when buying drinks & there were ants in our room.

Upon arrival at the hotel at midnight we had to ask for another room as the bath in the bathroom was surrounded in thick green mould, the shower was from the 1970’s and the balcony door did not lock. We were given another room, which was slightly better, but definitely not a 4 star.

British tourists are not welcome at this hotel and will be guaranteed a miserable holiday if they go there. I have worked and travelled extensively across the world and whilst I appreciate foreign standards are not as high as British standards this hotel was filthy and disgusting. The worst holiday I have ever had."

• Travel date: Tue 31st of August 2004

I went to the Sun Beach Resort to celebr...

Reviewed Mon 31st of May 2004

"I went to the Sun Beach Resort to celebrate my 25th birthday and was not disappointed. The hotel was beautiful and our room was just as nice as it looked on the net. The staff where very entertaining and very friendly. The only problems I found was that not everyone spoke English, as the majority of tourists are French and German.

The food was a bit basic but edible. It was my first time staying at an all-inclusive hotel and I really enjoyed the whole drinking for free experience. I would definitely recommend this hotel and the camel trip is a must!!"

• Travel date: Mon 31st of May 2004

Hotels near Sun Beach Resort

Top traveller tips for Sun Beach Resort

• Mrs J Sherlock by Mrs J Sherlock

"Don't believe every bad review you read!!!! "

Sun Beach Resort is also called