Good

Zanzibar Palace, not an understatement.

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"I booked online and I have to say, I was very pleasantly surprised. The owners (Marion and Sebastian) were congenial, knowledgeable and above all extremely helpful. Competent staff, tastefully decorated rooms (one can always recognize a good personal touch) and most importantly, comfortable beds! To be honest, the meals alone were pretty much worth the price of admission. I’m not one to get lost in rave reviews, but the Zanzibar Palace has definitely earned it. Recommended."

• Travel date: Tue 12th of June 2007

Beautiful quirky hotel

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights during our honeymoon. We booked directly after reading reviews on TripAdvisor and had to wire the entire cost to a bank account in Belgium in advance. We were a bit wary of doing this but because of the excellent reviews the hotel had received, we took a chance - and it turned out to be fine.

We stayed in the Dunia Suite which has a huge four poster bed which is raised up really high off the ground. It also has an open air bathroom on the roof of the hotel which is really great, along with TV, DVD, AC and free room service!

The hotel is decorated very beautifully and has a very personal feel to it. Owners Marion and Sebastian could not have been more helpful and gave us lots of tips abut where to eat and drink, and even arranged car hire for us for our onward journey.

We would highly recommend this hotel to anybody going to Stonetown - unless you are not very mobile as the stairs are quite steep."

• Travel date: Mon 11th of June 2007

Over priced!

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"Zanzibar Palace hotel was just ok.I think it is way over priced for what you get!The toilet is in the bedroom just a little wall hiding it from the bed. That is not very pleasant when you want to go to the toilet and someone is in the room. This might sound very blasé but I missed a swimming pool. It is humid in stone town and it is nice after a walk to be able to cool down in a pool. I will say that the manager was very helpful and very polite!He has a very good knowledge about stone town,. Witch was very helpful..I do think that the amount of money we spent you can definitely find something better!"

• Travel date: Sun 10th of June 2007

Palace by name Palace by nature

Reviewed Fri 2nd of November 2012

"I booked the Zanzibar Palace Hotel on line without having to put any deposit.This was accepted in good faith.The room I had was very, very comfortable.The building has been restored beautifully and has a very calm and pleasant atmosphere.The Hotel has lovely personal touchs from the owners.and the guests are made to feel relaxed and at ease.Breakfast is excellent.This feels like a 5 star hotel."

• Travel date: Mon 4th of June 2007

Zanzibar Palace: An Oasis

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"We had planned to stay at the Zanzibar Palace only two nights, but extended it to seven. We stayed in two different rooms--both unique and interesting. The owners were quite courteous--even letting me borrow their laptop when I had problems with mine. Free wireless, free room service, free ironing are just some of the things that make staying here a great value. I'd say I felt at home here, except it was better than any home I had. The location of the hotel is quite central (though quiet), so it is easy to get around Stonetown on foot. I loved everything about my stay at this hotel."

• Travel date: Fri 11th of May 2007

The p(a)lace to stay!

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"This very nice hotel is located in the middle of Stone Town.
I was lucky to be able to stay in the Shaba room and Suite Sherila, both of which are very well decorated with eye for even the smallest detail.

The friendly staff, beautiful rooms and warm welcome, made this, by far, the best hotel I stayed in during my 3 weeks visit to Zanzibar.

If you ever plan to spend a night in Stone Town than this is the place to stay!

Thanks again Marion & Sebastiaan for the wonderful time!"

• Travel date: Tue 10th of April 2007

Excellent Hotel & So Friendly

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"We stayed 4 nights in the Zanzibar Palace Hotel in February, we had camped on safari and stayed in a backpacker resort on the beach, this was out treat, and it was everything we expected and more.

Marion, Sebastian and the staff of the hotel could not have been more friendly and helpful. The room (Sultana) was amazing, with a fab 4 poster bed, large tub, balcony and even tv and dvd played if you wanted a night in, and of course AC which was great !!

We would definitely recommend staying here."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of April 2007

great little place

Reviewed Fri 2nd of November 2012

"Spent 2 nights here in one of the basic double rooms,
Considering the cost, the room was a good size with excellent ac and fan above the bed. Good breakfast with plenty of choice included in the rate. Good central location. Tv and dvd player in room and safe. would deff recommend as a stopover in stone town."

• Travel date: Sun 25th of March 2007

Lovely Place

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"We had a lovely 2 night stay here

The hotel is unfortunately not on the beach and therefore the view is not great but at the same time one really got the feeling of being "inside Stone Town" and therefore the experience of the local area and residents was a lot more authentic.

We were a bit dissapointed in what Stone Town itself had to offer and would not recommend stayin in Stone Town for more than one night before moving on to th beaches

The managements was helpful, effective and the service personalized.

The only negative comment is that breakfast was very average and with the wondrful access they have to fruit on the island one expected this to be much better.

Nevertheless we can recommend this hotel as a smaller more intimate option. The rooms are lovely and have all the acessories needed."

• Travel date: Mon 19th of March 2007

Absolutely Royal.....

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"From arrival to departure Sebastiaan and Marion made sure every detail was perfect. Imagine your wish being a command, welcome to Zanzibar Palace Hotel. The room was perfect (Sultana), the air conditioner flawless, the breakfast sumptuous, the service just right and Stone Town was a delight to explore with Sebastiaan's directions to all the special places. We can't wait to get back for another visit. If you are planning a visit to Zanzibar and want a unique experience, stay at the Zanzibar Palace Hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 11th of March 2007