A Room at Princess Salme Inn

Swahili Chic

Reviewed 19th December 2012

"The location of the Princess Salme Hotel is my only quibble, it is in Stonetown, and convenient to the Dar es Salaam ferry, but is at the far southern end of the old city. however, the very reasonable price made up for any inconvenience. The property is an old Swaheli house converted to an hotel. My room was facing the front and was long and skinny. The huge confortable bed - which looked like something out of 1001 Nights - took up most of the width of the room. The bathroom was spacious. A full breakfast is served on the roof terrace, The staff were very friendly and helpful. I paid $35/night including a full breakfast."

• Travel date: 3rd March 2009

Really enjoyed our stay here - good budget accommodation

Reviewed 15th October 2012

"My partner and I stayed here in November. We stayed for a night when we arrived and then came back after our diving trip for a few more nights. The staff at Princess Salme were particularly good - very friendly and helpful. The hotel isn't in the best location (on a dark street) but it's a really easy walk to the centre of Stone Town and right near the ferry terminal which is handy if you're coming over from Dar as we were. The room we were in was clean and comfortable. The fan pretty much penetrated the mozzie net so it didn't get too hot. If you're on a budget this is a good deal. Sure, if you've got loads of cash and want luxury then it's not for your but this was a perfect choice for us - 20 something year old backpackers who quite like the odd stray cat!"

• Travel date: 23rd February 2009

Bad value for money

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"The only positive thing about this hotel was the friendly staff. The hotel itseflf has a bad location a bit outside of Stone Town on a very dark street that is not very nice to walk on during night. The rooms are terrible: hot and humid with mould problems in the shower (although they do have hot showers) and it's not particularly cheap. Choose something else in Stone Town."

• Travel date: 26th January 2009

Over the top customer service

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"Our group stayed one night at the Princess Salme. For $20, I thought the rooms were adequate and the shower had great water pressure as well as hot water. The morning we checked out, I left my iPhone on one of the beds and only realized this an hour later on our way to a day trip. When I returned the staff said no one had seen it or turned it in. We confronted all of the maids and they said they had not seen it either. Although it was my fault for leaving it there, I felt very disappointed as I was sure someone (guest or staff) had my phone and were not confessing. One week went by and while working in Uganda I received an email from the hotel saying they had found my phone and would ship it back to the US via DHL. I quickly wired the necessary funds to their account and received my phone one week later. What impressed me most was that even though I had given up on the phone and was far from Zanzibar, they had not. Honesty from a hotel staff such as this should never be overlooked and I will definitely stay at the Princess Salme again should I return to Zanzibar."

• Travel date: 12th October 2008

Nice, but mess up with the booking

Reviewed 13th December 2012

"As other reviews say, this guesthouse is clean and has a nice authentic atmosphere. However, when we arrived at around 9 in the evening after 27 hours of travel to get there, we found out that we were double booked, Whilst we waited to check in for about 20 minutes, the staff seemed very confused and argued for a while speaking in swahili. We were not told what was going on but they demanded full payment upfront (which we went along with in our post-travel state of tiredness and confusion) and then were driven off to stay in another hotel for one of our two nights booked there. I am pretty flexible when things go wrong, as they inevitably sometimes do, but we were offered no explanation and no apology for what went on. My advice is book with caution."

• Travel date: 16th September 2008

Such a nice place

Reviewed 13th December 2012

"It's a simple, but clean and nice hotel for a reasonable price. Comfortable beds with good mosquito nets. One advice: there are different double rooms, while booking, try to ask for a bigger one, it's nicer and more comfy. Emmanuel, the manager and the staff are very friendly, professional and extremely helpful no matter if you need advice what to see in Stone Town or you try to get back the things that you forgot in the hotel on the other side of the island :)Thanks again! And what a pleasure to have a nice breakfast on the roof terrace! If we're back in Stone Town, for sure we'll stay there again."

• Travel date: 31st August 2008

Loved this B&B

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"I stayed at the Princess Salme Inn Hotel in Stone Town for a total of 4 nights with a group of young people from the UK and 1 child aged 5. The hotel is located within walking distance of the port and Stone Town Attractions. All rooms have fans and nets. Breakfast is served on the roof top so you can get a good view of the port and surrounding area. This is also a good area to watch TV or just relax. The staff were very accommodating and friendly. They even allowed us to leave our large suitcases in their storeage room while we went to visit Pemba Island for 2 days and then on a 2 day safari. The hotel can arrange air port pick ups at a resonable price and is a 15 minute drive from the airport."

• Travel date: 2nd August 2008

Princess Salme is a Happy Experience

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"This hotel lived up to TripAdvisor reviews of simple, clean, friendly staff with a good breakfast on the rooftop. We felt like we overpaid by booking through Zanzibar Magic web site. Better to book directly with Emmanuel the Manager at the PrincessSalmeInn.com web site. The hotel is very close to the ferry. No need for the taxi we got. Besides they didn't know the hotel by it's new name. Ask for the Malindi Annex. The staff is ready with good advice about taxi prices, tours and eating places."

• Travel date: 3rd March 2008

really good

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"This was the greatest vacation ever. After safari we stayed for 5 nights in Princess Salme Inn hotel. It was really great, stuff so friendly, roofterrace nice, breakfast good and you feel really good. Management Emanuel very helpfull and they arranged us local guide for Stone town tour. I just want to say that we went every evening on walk and we feel really safe. Just say NO THANK YOU and there will not be any problem. Thank you again!! We will be back soon! K&M from Slovenia"

• Travel date: 26th February 2008

Loved Princess Salme Inn

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"This hotel is very good. It is clean, simple and the staff are very friendly and the breakfast is lovely. Extremely resonable prices."

• Travel date: 30th January 2008

Hotels near Princess Salme Inn

Princess Salme Inn is also called

• princess salme hotel
  • princess salme stone town