This hotel is now closed.

Hotels near Clove Hotel Zanzibar

Good
Good

INSANE INKEEPER

Reviewed Tue 16th of September 2014

"I was a guest in the hotel August 25 - 27, 2014. The hotel is acceptable for the most part, BUT THE OWNER IS INSANE AND RUDE. I made the mistake of thinking that my bill was paid because I booked online (I usually work with a travel agent so I never booked online before and didn't understand how it worked). At check out time, I was asked to pay and I said "I paid online". The owner started yelling, "YOU DID NOT PAY! You must pay in cash, we don't take credit cards, I will call the police!" I was shocked. I had no problem paying it, I just didn't understand the procedure. She went off! "You will pay or I will have you arrested", she screamed. I asked about the location of an ATM machine, walked through a very dark alley at midnight, got the money and paid in the local currency. She was so rude, it was unreal. I am a 70 yr.old African American woman who had just finished doing humanitarian work in Mombasa, Kenya, have visited 9 other African countries and have never been treated like this before - she was beside herself, screaming and generally behaving like a drunk. After I paid her, she began to apologize and tell me she was sick. I will say.
Please avoid this hotel at all cost, because the owner is unstable."

• Travel date: Fri 12th of September 2014

Perfectly located - superb relax

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Clove Hotel was our home in Stone Town for a couple of days. It is perfectly located - right in the middle of the heart of Stone Town. What we loved best was the terrace on the top level with beautiful view on the town and sea. We would spend hours there studying diving theory (while doing the PADI course in the One Ocean school nearby) and enjoying self-service drinks from the fridge. The hotel is a very peaceful and relaxing place and Lisette (the owner) makes all efforts to preserve it.
Moreover, Lisette helped us a lot to plan the rest of our Zanzibar trip. She recommended other nice places and organized spice tour for us. She also did her best to support us in the mission of recovering our luggage (lost somewhere between Nairobi and Dar-es-Salaam).
Clove Hotel is a perfect choice for low-to-medium-budget travellers."

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of November 2006

Home at the Clove

Reviewed Sun 21st of October 2012

"My family and I just returned from six months of travel around the world. One of our last stops on our tour was the island of Zanzibar in Tanzania. While in Zanzibar we were fortunate to stay at the Clove Hotel. After five months traveling and staying at a variety of hostels, guest houses and hotels it was wonderful to find a place where we all really felt at home. Of all the places we stayed on our trip this place really stands out for us.

My husband and I, as well as our two teenagers, spent many hours enjoying the beautiful roof terrace at the Clove:, reading, catching the ocean breezes, sipping cold drinks, listening to the music of the streets and soaking in the incredible atmosphere of Stone Town,

While we were there the owner/manager of the Clove, Lisette Aernaudts went out of her way to make our stay in Stone Town comfortable and memorable. When we needed travel advice she had great ideas, when we had problems with our visa she was able to help, and when our son contracted malaria while we were away from Stone Town, she found room at the hotel and took us to the local clinic. Ours was not an isolated experience.; In a total of ten days that we stayed at the Clove I regularly saw Lissette helping people by providing advice and assistance.

In addition to Lisette and the wonderful terrace I would also recoomend the Clove to other travelers to Zanzibar because of the excellent and friendly staff, the central location in the old city, the great price ($75 US for a family of four including breakfast), the comfortable family rooms, the great lending library and last but certainly not the least the fantastic breakfasts."

• Travel date: Wed 11th of October 2006

A gem of a budget hotel in the heart of Stonetown

Reviewed Tue 16th of October 2012

"We're just back from Zanzibar, and began and ended our stay at the Clove hotel. We loved it. Lisette is very capable, focussed, energetic and friendly, helping us to sort out travel arrangements. All the staff were excellent.

The terrace and 'honesty' bar are excellent innovations, and allowed us to meet others who were also just chilling out, and to have really interesting conversations.

Overall, good value, safe, reliable, and fun to be there. It's so much nicer than Emerson and Green."

• Travel date: Wed 13th of September 2006

Great location and value

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Stayed at the Clove Hotel before and after travelling to the coast. The Dutch owner, Lisette could not have been more helpful - it was very reassuring having an English speaking person to answer my many questions and assisting us in organising cheap shared transfers to the north coast. She even gave us an upgraded room on our return!

I felt very safe in the streets around the Clove Hotel - the hotel is about 3 minutes walk from the food stalls at Forodhani gardens, a minute from the many shops that will tempt you to part with your shillings and a five minute walk from Kenyatta Road with the post office, more upmarket shops and some good restaurants nearby (Monsoon and Archipelago are recommended).

An added bonus of the hotel is that they have a roof terrace with a fridge containing drinks, to which you can help yourself and pay for when you leave. The terrace is also where you have breakfast, which is a buffet with lots of fresh fruit, cheese, jam , bread, juice, tea/coffeeand choice of egg. It was definitely the best breakfast we had in Zanzibar. You can see the roof terrace of Emerson and Green about 50 metres away and it is good to know that you are getting a very similar view for far less money!"

• Travel date: Fri 18th of August 2006

Very nice accomodation, great value for money

Reviewed Tue 16th of October 2012

"A very nice, modest hotel right in the centre of Stonetown. Rooms are not very spacious, but we just needed to sleep & eat breakfast here (by the way the roof view from "restaurant" is great!)... Lisette is a charming person and - what is even more important - a very helpful one. We got great shared spice tour from the hotel (10 USD/person) as well as she appointed a taxi driver on our way back to Dar es Salaam airport...
If you expect clean, nicely run basic city hotel / b&b it is the right place to stay (but it is definitely not a butique/sultan-like hotel as Emerson&Green and others!).
Great value for money."

• Travel date: Mon 24th of April 2006

Delightful place

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"Clove Hotel is a lovely and very reasonably-priced place to stay in Stonetown. The rooms are spotlessly clean and comfortable, the staff is friendly and the upstairs patio, with it's fantastic view and self-service soda and beer bar, is a wonderful place to watch the sunset and just hang out. Lisette, the owner, is a delight. She couldn't be more helpful or informative."

• Travel date: Sat 10th of December 2005

Going Dutch in Zanzibar

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"Clove Hotel in Stone Town is a very good choice. The recently renovated property is clean, comfortable, secure and well located. It has a nice rooftop terrace with a view of the sea and Lisette the owner is very friendly and helpful.

The fact that on Zanzibar's beaches, you are looking at around 10-15USD per person for just a palm-frond hut on the sand with nothing but a double mattress in it, highlights that Clove Hotel is very good value. Current rate for an en-suite double room is 45USD.

Blimey - I ought to ask Lisette for a job as her publicist."

• Travel date: Thu 10th of November 2005

Highly Recommend

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"Very nice hotel and very nice athmosfar, very friendly service. Try Lisettes Spice tour it is worth of 10 dollars. Transports exellent and very liable !
Highly recommend !!"

• Travel date: Thu 27th of October 2005

Great, Friendly Place

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"Our stay at Clove was excellent. The hotel is just a short walk from the ferry and is well placed for all that Stone Town has to offer. Lissette couldn't do more to make our stay as smooth as possible. She helped with spice tours, finding beach accommodation, places to go, flights to Dar and transfers to the airport. The authentic bedrooms have African wall hangings and bedspreads and are a good size with comfy beds! The terrace on the roof is a great place to relax and have a drink watching and listening."

• Travel date: Mon 5th of September 2005

Clove Hotel: Wonderful location in the heart of historic Stonetown

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"This private hotel offering great value is located a block back from the waterfront in the heart of historic Stonetown. The rooftop terrace offers views of the ocean, all day self-serve refreshments and a relaxed and sociable environment from which to view the end of the day as the sun sets over the Indian Ocean.

The price of around $45 dollars per night (room with double bed and bathroom) including a breakfast offering eggs any style along with a buffet of toast and juices, coffee and tea with a selection of fruits. The proprietor, Lissette has created a wonderful, relaxing environment and offers her services in a low key, laid back style that is totally hospitable without any sense of pressure or obligation.

The rooms (while compact) are clean and functional, and the terrace is a feature that facilitates meeting fellow guests, or allowing for solitude as your frame of mind dictates.

Any advice, informaton or arrangements were happily offered by Lissette and nothing was too much trouble.

Thumbs up for a wonderful experience in the center of Stonetown - we could not have hoped for a better location combined with value for money! (Our stay was in mid-July 2005.)"

• Travel date: Wed 27th of July 2005