DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi

Exterior

Don't tease animals for "entertainment". Shameful

Reviewed 11th June 2014

"Staff very friendly. Rooms clean. Food not v good. Food overpriced Very few vegetarian options. Did not have a single umbrella to loan to me or a fellow guest when it looked like rain. I recently stayed at HILTON Double Tree resort. On the last night I was there they had African dancing which was enjoyable UNTIL the end when they brought out a LARGE PYTHON and used this poor python as part of the entertainment. It was kept in a dark box then let out and TEASED relentlessly, all to give the audience some cheap thrills. The snake tried to STRIKE at least 7 or 8 times in response to the teasing. It was very upsetting to watch and also the stupidity of the crowd some of whom found it amusing. However myself, one of the people in my group and another South African woman was not amused. I made a formal complaint to management and also wrote about how disgusted I was by the behavior of the dancers provoking the snake. It is NOT APPROPRIATE to use snake in entertainment. I was told by one of the locals that the snake was borrowed from the Aquarium up the road!!! The mind boggles."

• Travel date: 11th June 2014

Lousiest Service Standard

Reviewed 21st March 2013

"There are several other better beach front hotels in Zanzibar North Coast . However, Nungwwi Double Tree does not merit Hilton brand service. Having saved money and travelled all the way to Tanzanian Capital and then spend on a boat but taxi drivers rip of foreign visitors to top you find Breakfast is very poor. Food is priced very high, simply unaffordable. Hotel atmosphere is very quite and not upbeat. Service in the bar is third class. Internet is very expensive. Rooms are terrible -equals to a three star hotel with poor lighting Items are lost in the hotel and when asked to speak to the general manager he is never avilable. This hotel place not recommended for destination like Zanzibar. Too far from main aiport and time consuming on transport. No joy to use room service, takes too long."

• Travel date: 9th May 2010

Perfect and superb service

Reviewed 19th March 2013

"I went to Zanzibar on a hooneymoon with my wife and my sister and her husband. I had been once before in Zanzibar at the Ocean paradice witch also was very nice, so this place had to be good. We got a tip from the Seacliff hotel in Dar es Salaam that the Double tree Hilton in Zanzibar was good so we went for 9 days. The stay was from arrival to check out just superb, the staff very friendly and professional, all of them from bartenders to maids cleaning the room. The manager was also around and asked if all was fine. The location is stunning and the rooms is very nice. If I am to go back to Zanzibar I have no doubt where I will go. And I will happely recomend it to all my travelling friends in Norway. You wish you only had some more days to spend her.. Åge Jordalen"

• Travel date: 6th April 2010

Amazing staff more than made up for the few minor issues

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"Just back from a 5 night stay at the Doubletree. Like some of the other reviews our first impression whilst driving along the dirt track to the hotel was 'oh my God what are we doing' but once those gates opened and we walked into the open air reception area, all those worries were put to bed. We couldn't take our eyes off of the seat view whilst we were checking in and were itching to go and explore! We were told on check-in that there were only 8 guests staying in the resort at the time so there was a real feeling of seclusion (which has it's good and bad points). Good points were that we pretty much had the beach to ourselves the whole time. Bad points were a lack of atmosphere mainly in the evenings when there would be the 2 of us and maybe 1 or 2 other couples at most. The rooms were amazing. We had pool/sea view rooms on the top floor (don't worry about a lack of lift. We are not the fittest people in the world but had no issues with the few stairs at all). I would definitely recommend asking for top floor rooms as the views were incredible. The staff were amazing and whilst not liking to pick a few out of the many fabulous staff I feel we have to say a special thank you to Ali the poolboy, Prince, Celestine who served us every night in the restaurant and was simply a delight and also Ruth the F.O manager who always greeted us with a smile and remembered our names throughout our stay. Also a big thank you to the chef (I'm sorry I don't remember his name) who was more than happy to prepare dishes for us off of the menu (his prawn curry was to die for!). My friend and I are both travel agents and have visited many hotels over the years and we both put the Doubletree in our top 3 hotels of alltime (which considering we have stayed at the likes of Shangri-La hotels on many occasions is quite some doing). It is not the most luxurious of hotels but the location is second to none. The beach is quite simply one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. I never thought a beach would be able to top those in the Maldives but this was certainly up there. All in all it was a wonderful trip at a wonderful resort with wonderful staff and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for somewhere idyllic if maybe a little bit secluded from the outside world. Thank you to Imtyaz and all of your staff for a fantastic holiday!"

• Travel date: 3rd April 2010

Pure Heaven

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"Like one of the other reviews say, don't wonder what you have booked or where you are being taken to on the bumpy dust track up to the wooden planked gate. It is so purely Nungwei streets and anything else would spoil the experience. When I arrived, I was greeted with a fresh juice and a Doubletree cookie. Nothing is too much trouble the staff all want you to have the best possible time. I was alone female traveller so felt a little nervous, but once here I was very much at ease and relaxed. My room was massive, very nice decor, a large comfortable bed, fridge, tea and coffee making facilities, large balcony with great sea view, air con, ceiling fan, plenty of storage for luggage, safe in room, even an iron and ironing board. I had a large walk in shower and bath. The sunbeds by the pool were in the shape of a boat and also had soft mattresses. Afternoon tea and cake was served by the pool which was a nice touch. Breakfast was juice, fresh fruit, bread and pastries, pancakes, eggs, sausage, tea, coffee, all served at the table to you. Evening meals were excellent, the presentation, attention to detail and service outstanding. This is a new hotel and they have got it spot on from the start."

• Travel date: 22nd March 2010

Fantastic and Friendly

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"We arrived in March at the end of tourist season- who knows why it ended... the weather was great and the room was cheaper! The resort is beautiful without feeling pretentious and the staff were the friendliest on the island... especially the pool bartender Prince... te front desk workers Ruth and Albert and Helen in the restaurant as well as Ali by the pool. Go! enjoy the cookies! The room are also wonderful... with great views and incredibly effective air conditioning"

• Travel date: 19th March 2010

One of the Best Value for Money Hotels on ZnZ

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"Paid $130 USD per night for a double room with poolside balcony view and 25% sea-view. Good Points of the Hotel: 1. Staff genuinely have a "can-do" attitude. I've stayed in 10's of hotels around Tanzania and this really is something quite rare. The higher management of the hotel are clearly taking a genuine interest in customer satisfaction and it's a refreshing thing on ZnZ. 2. The rooms genuinely live up to International Hilton chain standards. Quality of fixtures and fittings and house-keeping in the rooms are second to none. Very comfortable beds. Very, very cold air-conditioning. everything and more you need from your room. 3. Breakfast is good and again it's a "can do" approach to what you want (my partner didn't like the juice they had prepared freshly for that day so the staff ran down the road to get some other fresh fruit to make her a different type of juice). 4. Location excellent... direct onto the beach. 5. Pool-side service, bar, and lunch menu is good (pizza's are some of the best on the island and worth the $$$). Bad Points: 1. Swimming pool is too shallow so it's impractical to actually swim in the thing. It's also a salt water swimming pool which understandable bearing in mind water issues on ZnZ.... but still they could have forked out a bit more for a fresh water one. Also the pool itself was consistently dirty when we stayed (but not too dirty... just being picky). 2. Food and drinks are a little overpriced for Zanzibar... but not against international 4* hotels I guess. Evening dinner menu didn't really appeal but we happily ate out each night. Good hotel. Definitely worth the money... one of the best value for money hotels I've seen and stayed in, in Tanzania. 10/10 for effort. 8/10 for achievement."

• Travel date: 2nd March 2010

Loved it - top service -great location

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"First this is a new hotel - opened in December 09 and we were only 6 guest in all the hotel which made our stay even more romantic and wonderfull , Expect all that is coming with a new hotel. rooms are new and modern ,big plasma tv - free internet which was great , but there are still learning processes for some of the staff of the room electricals (leaking a/c , tv etc.), and to how to treat a guest ,for example at breakfast which was included in the price -we asked for a glass of water for our pills ,and allthough we can get as much fruit juice as we want for free , they broght us a bottle of water and charged it for that , when we made a remark about the to Hotel manager - they ofcourse appologized for this and also the resturant manager came the day after to apologize , but still in our final bill they charged us for this. small things that can be avoided with proper education . we had a room with balcony to the beach which was wonderful. the service of all staff was more than 5 stars and they should really deserve to get many more guests. dont worry about the power problems in the island , the hotel has a generator and you can hardly feel it. allthough we had few times without power and water this was very short times . they have A/C 24 h which is gret as we heard in some hotels they shut don the a/c at night which can be very troubeling. The resturant still leaves a lot to be desired. again the service is very very good , but the food was not tasty and allthigh we tried we orefered to eat in other resturants allong the beach and enjoyed the Langi Langi resturant , also the Z-hotel resturant was good allthough is was rather expensive. the beach and pool are great and enjoyed very much walking on the beach the spa was not ready yet , but they do offer services as massage and others. all the staff - were realy great and very helpfull and made us feel wonderfull . thank you all from Talia & Eitan."

• Travel date: 24th February 2010

An undiscovered piece of paradise

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"My partner and I stayed four nights at the Doubletree. We were a bit apprehensive as to what to expect as we couldn't find many reviews or pix of the property (the pix on the doubletree website do it NO justice). We were delighted any of our concerns evaporated as soon as we arrived. Echoing other comments the road (dirt tracks) through the village is horrendous and does make you think 'my god where am i going?!' but you will be instantly relieved when you enter the big gates. I passed two or three other big hotels on these dirt tracks and its a shame they havent gotten together and given a little back to the local community maybe in the form of a decent tar road. We had taken advantage of a fantastic value 'january sale' and paid only about US100 per night including breakfast. I discovered the hotel has only been part of the Doubletree/Hilton brand since November. Previously it was the Nungwi Village Resort. Service was absolutely fantastic. Although I would prefer not to highlight any particular employee as ALL were just amazing, I must pass on my thanks to Ruth the reception manager. Nothing was too much of a problem. She always, always remembered me and my partners name as she greeted us whenever we were passing and adhoc requests (such as having fruit cut that we'd purchased in the local village) were no problem. The hotel was very clean and the rooms were large and airy. More functional than deluxe, they had everything one could want including flatscreen TV, balcony or patio and VERY good aircon. Also they have 24hr electricity which is apparently quite rare for Zanzibar - even in the 'better' hotels & resorts. Rooms are arranged over three storey wings (note there is no lift) and nearly all have at least partial sea views with some having full frontal views. There was a decent sized swimming pool but we never used it as only a few steps away from our room was a spectacular beach. The hotel has a private area which is very secure. The beach was stunning with warm seas. Also free access to two PC's in the Business Centre and free WiFi in the public areas. There was also a restaurant which was good but as the hotel was very quiet (i'd say no more than 20% of rooms were occupied) I don't think it was working to full potential. Breakfast was ordered a la carte (though included in our rate) there was a decent lunch menu and dinner varied between either a buffet (great seafood) or a la carte (not much choice). All in all it was good food and reasonably priced though there are other restaurants along the beach not far away that offer fresh seafood at cheaper prices. My only real criticism was the gym (we are both fitness freaks). The gym equipment is actually located outside by the pool (obviously with no aircon). And also I don't think there would be much for kids to do here. It is definitely perfect for a romantic adult retreat. All in all, I would highly recommend the Doubletree."

• Travel date: 22nd February 2010

Best hotel in Zanzibar Island

Reviewed 30th November 2012

"Don't be decieved by the road leading to the hotel( its terrible), no fault of the hotel management, behind those plank doors lies a luxury resort of par excellence, led by Mr Imtyaz Mirza. I was taken aback by the hospitable treatment my family and i received. Yes, being a new resort there are a few shortcomings but overall i will rate them 9.5 out of 10. We once complained to the housekeeing manager, Mr wilson about a water problem, he was there within a few minutes to sort the problem. Well done Mr Wilson. To our family, food is a delicate issue because we are very fussy as to what and where we eat. Mr Ganesh, Mr Singh and the Chef Devdutt were ever so willing to comply with our requests. They always gave us service with a smile. Well done to all the staff."

• Travel date: 28th January 2010

Nice beach, good rooms & great food,

Reviewed 30th November 2012

"Although the room prices are a bit high, the location, food and the smiling faces really compensate it. My partner and I had a memorable new year at Doubletree Zanzibar. The rooms are new and clean, the staff is polite and the food is superb. We spent most of our day by the pool and the evenings by the beach. Really enjoyed the barbeque dinners. Will certainly make an effort to be there again this year."

• Travel date: 14th January 2010

Hotels near DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi

Top traveller tips for DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi

• by Annie G

"Don't use snakes in Entertainment. Don't tease snakes for entertainment"

DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi is also called

• Doubletree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi
  • doubletree by hilton hotelanlage zanzibar - nungwi
  • hotel doubletree by hilton resort zanzibar - nungwi