Michamvi Sunset Bay Resort

East Coast, Michamvi Tanzania

A holiday that dreams are made of!

"My husband and I travelled to Zanzibar for our 10 year wedding anniversary and stayed at Michamvi Water Sports Resort.
The hotel is small and personal, so you don't feel over crowed when taking a stroll on the beach or lying by the pool. The food was plentiful and delicious with a huge variety and some local cuisine which was fantastic to try. Dave the owner and Dutchie, the water sports manager made us feel at home and gave us excellent service and advice about the trips and how to bargain in Stone Town. All staff are polite, and friendly, only to happy to assist where they can. The rooms are spacious, clean and have much needed aircon!! The beach is breathtaking and we enjoyed an early evening swim each day. At low tide you can explore and find many wonderful sea creatures, including starfish the size of a dinner plate. We will definately be returing to Michamvi, except this time we will be taking our children to experience the beauty of Zanzibar!"

• Travel date: Mon 19th of October 2009

"We spent 12 days at Zanzibar, in 4 different hotels. This hotel was certainly one of the best and a great way to finish our holidays. We spent 3 nights in this hotel.
Excellent service. Great staff and management. Great location. We had a wonderful time! In case we go back to Zanzibar, we will certainly select this hotel again!"

• Travel date: Sun 6th of September 2009

A fantastic hotel – I would definitely recommend it to anyone. A beautiful location – great hotel

"A fantastic trip had by all. Good value for money. A quaint small family run hotel - very obliging. The hotel is situated on a beautiful beach in a bay. Good choice of food on the buffet and excellent quality. The bedrooms were very spacious looking onto the pool and beach. The bar prices at the resort were reasonable. The hotel is rather secluded - 1 hours drive to Stone Town. A day visit to Stone Town was great but I would not stay over in a hotel. I would certainly return in the future for a relaxing break."

• Travel date: Wed 19th of August 2009

Great time at Michamvi

"I have recently returned from a vacation at the Michamvi Water Sports Resort, and can only supply positive feedback regarding the friendliness and service from the hotel staff.
I work in a rotational basis in Siberia, and as I was working through the Festive season decided to take a break, somewhere warm. I travelled to Zanzibar direct from work (from -32 degC to +30 degC), but due to a late connecting flight my baggage did not arrive with me.
I explained my situation to the hotel manager, and he followed up with the airport right away to track my baggage. Along with the water sports manager they supplied me with shorts, t-shirts etc to make me feel a lot more comfortable and cooler until my bag arrived a couple of days later. This helpfulness set the tone for the rest of my stay.
The hotel is situated at the beach on the south-east of the island, and views from the rooms all look toward the bay. I took advantage of water sports such as snorkelling and for the first attempt, game fishing, where I caught a couple of durado's.
The restaurant meals are buffet served and supplied excellent food, and I can say that the meals were never repetitive.
There were plenty tours available, and I took advantage of visiting a spice farm, and also visiting Stoney Town, learning its history from the slave trading, Dr. David Livingstones attempt to abolish slavery, to discovering that Freddie Mecury from Queen was born there.
The hotel is relatively small, but this enhanced the personal service I received, I was made to feel someone, not just a number. Staff were always friendly and encouraged greetings in Swahili, I enjoyed the interaction. I will definitely recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to enjoy a relaxing holiday."

• Travel date: Sun 15th of February 2009

Honeymoon at Michamvi

"Having booked our Honeymoon in an exotic destination (Zanzibar), we started with high expectations before we got off the plane at the Zanzibar airport. We had 10 days booked at Michamvi and at the end of them, We can honestly say our expectations were greatly exceeded!

The resort itself, is located right on the beach, the rooms are at no point more that 20 meters from perfect white beaches.
Gentle rolling waves, perfect sunsets provided us with an idealic backdrop with which to settle into our honeymoon. Champagne was on ice in our room upon arrival. The furnishings and layout of which was all done to again a very high standard and assured us that we had made a good decision to book with Michamvi, for what was/is our first experience of Zanzibar.

We really cannot sing the praises enough for the friendliness and helpfulness of the management & staff. My new wife and I experienced and enjoyed a very high level of attentiveness and hospitality right from our arrival right through to our check out 10 days later.

Other activities apart from lazing on the beach drinking fresh pineapple juice from sunup to sunset, that we partook in whilst staying at Michamvi included 'Safari Blue' - a day trip on a Dhow to a nearby island for snorkeling & a fish BBQ, guided tours of a 'Spice' farm & of Stone Town. Michamvi does also have the water sports option where we found a wide choice of activities. Skiing, wake boarding, wind surfing, kayaking and of course fishing are just some of the options available that we can remember.

After sunset, we cracked a couple of the local beers & one or two Konyagi (the local recomended gin) G&T's (to protect against mosquito’s - you understand) and settled down to some well cooked, well presented, locally sourced dinner.

All in all, we owe David, Zuberry & Dutchie a very big thank you for making our honeymoon something we'll always happily reflect on and reminisce about.

Thanks Guys!

Simon & Tam"

• Travel date: Fri 4th of July 2008

Hotels near Michamvi Sunset Bay Resort

Stayed at Michamvi Sunset Bay Resort? Share your insight.

Michamvi Sunset Bay Resort is also called