We have recently updated our Privacy Policy. Click here to learn more

Dongwe Ocean View

Michamvi Pingwe, Dongwe Tanzania

Good

Dongwe Ocean View is a private beach palace

"Dongwe Ocean View is a private beach palace on the quiet Southwest side of the main island. I came for supreme relaxation and comfort by the beach and that's exactly what I got. The tour companies that were organized picks up right from the airport and after a short drive across the island you are there. "At Dongwe Ocean View" is on a spectacular location right on the beach. Where by all the rooms are right on the beach which is 4 steps by foot .I stayed in room 103 which is a deluxe room in a ground floor, all the room are facing the sea but I loved this room because it has a lovely garden and it is near by the pool The room have fans, and air conditioners in case it gets too hot. Upon arrival I was greeted with big smile, hearty handshake, and a cold fresh towel to freshen up with cold coconut juice which was my first time to have this juice.” Shaibu” Front office manager who checked me in was a fantastic host and incredibly knowledgeable about life in Zanzibar and local tourism - he was able to arrange for anything that I needed (visits to Stone Town, local bars, Jozani National Forest, Scuba diving, day trips, etc.) The food and service are unparalleled in this setting. The Hotel Dongwe Ocean View has all the amenities you expect of its class (Wi-Fi, safe depositing box to deposit all your valuable things which was digital safe you just use your own password number to reopen and to close. In the rooms there is a TV with DSTV connected and a lot thanks to the creative and personal management. Friendly service staff can serve you whenever and wherever you want - on the beach, in your room, on the veranda.
I can recommend the Hotel to every one who wants to travel to zanzibar for a holiday this is the right place and right time and for those who want to contact me please they are mostly welcome and I will give them the real picture of Dongwe Ocean View.
Thanks and hope to return back for the New Year with my family at DONGWE.
Kindly Regards,
Schmidt"

• Travel date: Fri 9th of July 2010

Only Sea View Hotel in Zanzibar from Rooms to Restaurant .

"We were taken to Dongwe ocean view after staying two nights in Zanzibar town where by was to busy town , we felt like we are in a paradise, everybody was attention waiting for us from the management to staff, very high welcoming by mentioning our name; was so exiting, for sure the relaxation started from there and we felt so relaxing .We checked in by the front office manager ,then taken to our room ooh the room was so fresh and good smelling with air freshener full air condition ,we were astonished to seat at the balcony and enjoy the sea view “GOOD VIEW “ .
We went to the pool for swimming which was clean and the sun beds on the beach where we use to sun our selves, the weather was so good and the beach so clean long beach with white sand .The food was amazing was well done and cooked “congratulation chef” the staff were helpfully and friendly always smiling and charming .The restaurant has a good view its towards the beach whereby you could enjoy the local boat “Ngalawa” especial when they are on sail. The restaurant staff was well trained and knowledgeable.
The entertainment which was so interesting in our last night diner the”Masai show”, this was so exiting and the entire guest at the restaurant was enjoying the show.
On our departure all the Management team was there to say bye and wishing us safe journey, I haven’t ever seen this before and I have been traveling many places only Dongwe Ocean View, many thanks for the Management and staff, Hope to come back next year in our annually vacation.
Warm Regards,
Natalie & Leonard"

• Travel date: Tue 6th of July 2010

The Real Paradise In Zanzibar

"We stayed 6 nights at Dongwe Ocean View and the staff made our stay so wonderfully.

This is a luxury resort that has a high ratio of staff to guests. Every time I needed something someone was there to assist without being overbearing.

The accommodations were straight out of a story book, all the rooms are facing the sea with a good sea view .The room has an air condition, mini bar and a television with DSTV connection . I felt like I am in a paradise! Just the escape I was looking for!

The food was amazing the hotel gets there fresh fish right away from the beach with the fishermen, the sea food was very delicious especially the lobster, the South African wine suggestions were perfect and Very knowledgeable staff.

When you travel to such an exotic place as Zanzibar you have many expectations. The Dongwe, their staff and the management fulfilled all of my expectations and more. Thank you so much for a dream comes true.
Best Regards,
Jessica"

• Travel date: Sun 20th of June 2010

Best Hotel in Zanzibar “Honeymoon Heaven”

"We stayed at Dongwe Ocean View for a week in our honeymoon after climbing Mt Kilimanjaro in Arusha and thought it was amazing. We were warm welcomed with the management team with fresh cold face towels to freshen us up which was good smelling of lemon grass. We were taken to club house for the check in and the head waiter his name “Capo” who made our stay unforgettable brought a cold fresh coconut juice “Zanzibar Coca-Cola” .Then we were taken to the room which was sea view, the room was so good with and decorated with flowers and bottle of wine on it as a complementary for our honeymoon. After half an hour we went to the beach which was so quite and private, nice beach and clean white sand. The staff in general was very friendly, charming and always smiling. The food was so delicious especial the sea food platter with lobster this we had it on our last night dinner on the beach which was a surprise. All this was organized by the Management team which was providing extra service and I real appreciated on this. The reservation Manager organizes the trip for us in stone town and spice tour with a well trained and knowledgeable guide who guided us every where by giving us the full history of Zanzibar. We enjoyed our vacation very much.
We thank all the staff that made our stay unforgettable and the tour company that took us to and from the airport which was well organized and well maintained vehicles with A/C.
Thanks and we hope to visit again with my family at Dongwe ocean view.
Best Regards,
Paul & Anna."

• Travel date: Wed 16th of June 2010

NICE HOTEL,BEATIFUL PLACE

"We stayed for 6 night at Dongwe Ocean view, all was good and for sure i have nothing to compain about this Beautiful hotel, small and quet.
Staff were friendly,helpful and hard working,
It was realy a low season and we knew that,it was difficult to get every thing we wanted especialy Food.But we enjoyed.
Beach was so amazing,nice and clean.
Management was good,We thanks all staff for every thing.
We recommend others to go and see the secret of the place.

Radek and Anna"

• Travel date: Wed 16th of June 2010

FANTASTIC HOLIDAY

"I had the most fantastic honeymoon in such a beautiful place. I arrived in Zanzibar and the welcoming at the airport from the staff of the hotel was so great that I understood from the beginning that our honeymoon would of been incredible.
After one hour drive we took a small little road down to the beach and there we were in the most beautiful place I have ever been to. The staff greated us immediatly with a special Dongwe cocktail, Mr Shaibu head of reservation upgraded us to the best room they had on the sea overlooking the ocean.
Everybody spoilt us so much, the food was excellent and one night they made us a surprise and organized a lobster dinner just for the two of us.
Thank you so much Dongwe we will never forget you and hope to come back very soon
warm regards
Victor & Pauline"

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of June 2010

Food leaves a lot to be desired

"We stayed at this very small hotel for a week during April on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis. We understand that this is basically out of season for the hotel industry in Zanzibar, we found the people to be extremely friendly and the country quite well geared to tourism. The accommodation at the hotel and the attitude of the staff was excellent. The food was inevitably severely over cooked, there was no variety on the menu and there was no facility to choose other options. The drinks were over priced.
We did not let this bother us too much, but this is an area which should certainly be looked at in order for this relatively new hotel to succeed and prosper."

• Travel date: Thu 20th of May 2010

A feast for the Senses - Blue oceans, Warm relaxing days, incredible people and service

"Donwge ocean view was our first taste of the Spice islands, and boy did it ever live up to its name.
With a location and view straight out of the movies this small yet charming hotel is a feast for the senses.

On arrival, we were consumed by the beauty and could literally taste the tranquillity that personifies the Dongwe Ocean View. We were warmly greeted by the managers and their team who were full of zest and friendliness. With the open styled reception area, framed the palm treed swimming pool area which gave way to the famous white beaches and enticing turquoise oceans, we knew our holiday had truly began.
From our comfortable air-conditioned room we could literally fall out of bed onto an amazing white beach (which was meticulously swept a-new each day)... We spent all our warm, quiet days, savouring the constant rhythm of the high tide waves from our deck chairs as they gently lapped at the foot of the stairs beside pool and the decked restaurant. And when the tide was low, the waves retreated to break on the furthest reef, over 800 meters off shore, which allowed the ocean to simmer down to be transformed into our own gigantic marine swimming pool, where we feasted ourselves on unparalleled snorkelling and swimming.

Our taste of the Spice Island was further enriched by adding in a generous amount of memory filled excursions and Dhow driven adventures, infused with a dash of local culture and history, spiced with the local cuisine and rounded off with the knowledge that where ever we went or no matter what we needed, Shaibu,Samson, and their amazing staff would be more than happy to ensure we made an absolute meal out of our incredible time there and we sure did, it was nothing short of delicious ...

And we'll definitely go back for more."

• Travel date: Thu 20th of May 2010

Beautiful - room for improvement

Good

"We have just spent 7days at Dongwe Ocean View. Accommodation was super, minor issue with our friends appartment. The staff were very friendly and made for a pleasant stay. The menu was very limited and not everything on the menu was available until several requests. The food was over cooked most of the time. It would be wise to invest in an icemaking machine. If they are able to get this sorted, it would be an absolutely superb resort. The beach is beautiful and very pleasant snorkeling can be done there."

• Travel date: Wed 5th of May 2010

A disappointing start for a new hotel

"The hotel only opened on 1 December! It is not their fault that there has been no electricity since before Christmas but the stunning beach location did not entirely make up for an overall disappointing stay. The staff is charming but poorly trained, the pool was spotless & a saving grace, the quality of (unfinished) building work is shocking. The biggest let down is the catering. There is NO excuse for this given the magnificent fresh produce of Zanzibar & especially the fish caught on the hotel's doorstep. It was unimaginative, boring, unco-ordinated and not exactly something to look forward to each day. It boils down to a lack of training. I really don't think the staff knew any better."

• Travel date: Tue 19th of January 2010

Hotels near Dongwe Ocean View

Stayed at Dongwe Ocean View? Share your insight.

Dongwe Ocean View is also called