Great Place

Reviewed 18th March 2013

"This hotel is so great because you get a very good value for what you pay. The rooms are big and equiped with A/C, fan, safe, a small fridge and a balconey. The beach that the hotel is located on is beautiful and has free beds and some shade. The restaurant that belongs to the hotel is good (not great, but good enough). They have very good fruit-shakes (try the Mangofest). As far as I can see the hotel has 2 disadvantages: 1. The towels smell bad. 2. The water flow in the room is very weak (but it is like that on most hotels). But everything is else is great (we have been to 5 different hotels in zanzibar and this one is definitly the best value). We paid $65 per night (you can get a discount if you stay more days). We recommend!"

• Travel date: 28th October 2009

Basic Accomodation but beautiful location.

Reviewed 18th March 2013

"I stayed here for 3 nights in a basic bungalow on top of the cliff. The room was nothing special, a big (comfy) bed with a mosquito net, chairs, small table. It was clean and cool however no aircon. Cieling Fan was noisy and useless. The biggest issue with the room is that there was no cupboard to hang clothes, and no fridge. Shower was pretty average, with water spurting in all directions (everywhere but your head/body). The rooms are large, but the lay out makes it a bit sqishy in parts - lots of unused space. The restaurant is insanely overpriced so we didn't eat there instead ate at a cafe along the beach (just past the first set of shops past white sands resort) and one up on the main road. We did have the included breakfast, satisfying but after 5 days eggs, juice, tea/coffee becomes a bit boring. I would love to have seen some cereal or something else for variation. The staff aren't overly friendly, however one of the reception staff did help us out by booking a few nights at a neighbouring resort when we wanted to extend our stay (Sunset was booked out). The location of the resort is brilliant, right on the beautiful Kendwa beach. Fine, squeaky sand, turqiouose water, it looks like a postcard! Well worth it is the day trip to Mnemba Island, snorkelling in the best reef I have ever seen, nice BBQ fish lunch - for $30USD. A great day out. See the guys at white sands resort - they arrange for you."

• Travel date: 24th October 2009

BEAUTIFUL LOCATION!!!!

Reviewed 18th March 2013

"This was the last stop of our honeymoon and there is no beach quite like Kendwa. Coming from Nungwi, this stretch of beach with crystal clear water and white white sand is just stunning. This is the destination you want if you are looking to lie and bake in the sun all day sipping cocktails and listening to some chilled tunes being played by the variety of beach bars along the way! Yes, you can do snorkelling, diving, fishing and you can also do a variety of tours from here, but mostly, you just relax! And where better to do it? Now, if you are planning on staying somewhere budget, then know that the budget rooms at sunset bungalows are exactly that. They are situated up on the hill and it is quite a walk to the beach front. I would recommend, as we did, staying in the deluxe beach bungalows which are right at the front!!! Otherwise you will be disappointed. If you are looking for luxury - dont come here, rather spend the money and go to La Gemma Del Est just down the beach! The restaurant and bar are beautifully located, but beware the flies and bees during breakfast. There are also a numerous amount of other bars a short walk away should you get tired of this one. The breakfasts are very basic and the same choices every day. The dinner is good value for money. Once again., this is a stunning place, and if you on a budget then Sundset is a good place to stay, If you are looking for a little more luxury, rather dont stay here!"

• Travel date: 15th October 2009

Good choice...

Reviewed 18th March 2013

"-Prefer new builded rooms (80USD per night) -Just go to the beach and ask for 'Captain Morgan'... he's a funny guy which can arrange a trip to Mnemba island for 30USD per person. Snorkel to Mnemba atol!!! On the other hand, meal was not so good. -There are two bars at beach (European style). -Great beach!!! -On your way to the beach go to right and look for a restaurant called: 'Les toits de palme'. Incredible sunset and very good food (have a look at my photos)."

• Travel date: 13th October 2009

Brilliant - if I wanted to be insulted and ripped off ...

Reviewed 18th March 2013

"I dont wuite know what to say about this 'resort'. I think the owners need to either, rethink thier price to appeal to the backpacker crowd, draw thier standards up to what they promise, to appeal to the dollar/euro tourists, or close. Myself and my boyfriend stayed here for one night, and that was enough. For me, and maybe it is just me, I expect a little more for my $90. Think for a moment what you get for that amount in England. A Travellodge or Holiday Inn, is aout 60 pounds, or $90, and for that you get a sat tv, fridge, comfy bed, hot shower, towels and a professional attitude. I apprieciate that it is Africa, a predominantly third world country, but if you want to charge the rates they do, you have to deliver. Well, I was dissappointed. ROOM The room was clean and large, but that is where the good points end. The fridge was loud, smelly and didnt work well. It was put randomly in the corner, which I found strange, as it wasn't integrated at all. The net around the lumpy and uncomfy bed had holes in it and when we asked the staff for a new one they said they would give us one my 6pm, something they didnt do. The curtians were falling off the windows and there was no wardrobe. For us, as we decided to only stay one night, this was not an issue, but for an exetended stay you would expect this. There as a small safe and a well lit bathroom. The shower however, was not working and there was no water. I appreciate that this may not have been something they could have helped, but we asked before taking the room if they had a working, hot shower. It was a condition for taking the room for us, as we were at the time roughing it. The staff, basically lied through thier teeth to get the money off us. The rings me to the STAFF Aside form the lying, when I reported the problem they came down and put on a grand show of checking the pressure and heat of the shower - which was non-existant. The man then said that we could see to problem with the trickling cold water coming from thier 'functioning hot shower head'. I said that we didnt want excuses and we just wanted it fixed. He brought another woman down who changed the shower head to a new one, but it didnt work. Then he said that if he didnt like it was could just leave. By this point it was about 8pm, and we had spent at least 2 hrs arguing about it. When I started talking again he spoke over my to my boyfriend, telling him to tell me off. Shocked we asked to speak to the manager. He said he would send for him. We waited half an hour, and then rung again to the reception and he sad he was coming. 30 minutes later we rung again and he said he was coming. At the third ring the man had just gone home. We found the manager ourselves, and explained the situation. He seemed willing to help us and told us that he would sort it out. The next day we listened to the mans half-hearted apology and excuses. The manager then asked for us to settle our bill. We ended up paying full price for the room. The FOOD The service was slow and poor, but the food itself was okay. The breakfast, however, came out cold and bland. The milkshakes we has were very nice. The LOCATION It is a very nice place, with the sunset and a wide beach. It is not the nicest beach we had stayed on, but the swimming is probably very good. It was a shame that we were busy being insulted by the staff and so couldnt enjoy it. The layout of the hotel means that the rooms are very far away from the beach and the beauty of the place hasnt been well utilised. OVERALL I left disappointed with two main things - the staff and the value for money. The place cliams to cater for a certian upmarket crowd, with the rooms starting at $55. In actuallity they offer a standard that is not worthy of the prices. I wish I hadnt stayed here and fully intended to tell they owner of our experience so that it doesnt happen to anyone else. I can only hope he isnt as flippant and rude as his staff."

• Travel date: 26th July 2009

Nice..but

Reviewed 22nd February 2013

"The road to the resort is a road which you can't even call a road...(lol) Anyway, for the price of 60$, you have a fridge, a big bed and a safe. My family and I took the (new)apartment, on the 2nd floor. It is a gardenview though, and a bit of of a walk to reach the beach. I didn't mind if there wasn't any happenings around, because we enjoyed the serenity of the place anyway. The restaurant has great selection of seafood ( i recommend Coco Jambo). The only problem ( a BIG ) problem, is a swarm of flies hovering on your food. It was like, you eat with your right hand, and you shoo off a whole clan of flies with your left hand. It was such a turn off. You can't even enjoy your food, you have to eat as fast as you can before the flies get its way. Breakfast is BAAAAD. They don't serve fresh milk or creamer for your tea/coffee. I think it's just powdered milk boiled and put in a thermos. They're not hygienic. They don't even put the butter in a serving container. Instead, it's still in the plastic tub, and when the others ask for it, you have no choice but to share it. Same goes for the cheap indian jam. It's still in the bottle. You share it with others. So what we did, we chose from the tables the bottle which has the most content in it. Who knows if the previous customer didn't use a serving spoon. It's just yuck yuck yuck. They really have to do something about it. For others who want to explore the place a bit, you can walk to the other resorts such as Kendwa rocks, Kendwa Breezes and La Gemma del Est. Even if La Gemma is a very very private resort, you can ask the guards to let you pass just for drinks. Just take note, that once you're done with the drinks, you have to leave and not to roam around the premises anymore. Rooms are ok. We didn't have any problems. Staff are very friendly."

• Travel date: 8th May 2009

Kendwa is a hidden paradise

Reviewed 19th February 2013

"After having spent a couple of days on the east coast (where the beach is beautiful but you cannot swim during low tide) we decided to take a taxi up north. We first could not decide between Nungwi and Kendwa but since Nungwi is more like the party place and beaches are not as nice we decided to go for Kendwa. We hadn't reserved in advance and I was very happy about that since it gave us the chance to have a look at all the hotels in Kendwa and then decide. Sunset Bungalows has the best rooms by far! Take the air conditioned rooms on the left hand side when going down to the beach, they are very spacious, have a nice balcony, room safe and a fridge where you can cool the drinks you buy from the small supermarket in the village. We paid USD 60 per night (make sure you bring enough cash and nobody takes credit cards except for Kendwa Rocks and there are no ATM's) The beach is absolutely amazing, white white sand and turquoise waters. You can swim the whole day long and even snorkelling was quite nice (trigger fish, clown fish, trumpet fish...) The breakfast was very very basic (2 toast, egg of your choice and fruit) but we didn't mind since it was very hot anyway and one didn't feel like eating too much. Basically there were 4 restaurants along the beach and we moved around a bit. For dinner only the bikini restaurant (belongs to Sunset) and Kendwa Rocks have music so we switched between those two. This is a great place to stay for singles, families and couples and you will enjoy the most amazing sunsets."

• Travel date: 5th April 2009

Sunset Bungalows - In beautiful Kendwa

Reviewed 20th February 2013

"I travelled to Zanzibar fir the first time with a friend of mine i 2008. After some reading on the internet we deceided to stay in Kendwa. Kendwa has the most beautiful bach, and we wanted to see it:-) And it really is AMAZING! I have the most wonderful & perfect suset phtos from Kendwa!!!! Sunset bungalows is divided into the appartments(new ones) bungalows with garden view, and bugalows situated at the beach. We stayed 2 nights in the garden view bungalows with NO air condition... And Kendwa is HOT this time og year, very humid and we barely slept. The rooms were old, and not well kept. So we upgraded to the appartments. Beautiful, big appartments wit A/C. These are the best rooms I've seen in Zanzibar. Very clean, large, private balcony and wonderful beds. And great value for your money. Just remember to specify that you wanna live in the appartments, the new ones with A/C. You won't be dissapointed! Norbert from Germany who runs the place is a very nice guy, and likes to talk to his guests. Kendwa is very quiet, and is perfect for a family travelling or a couple just wanting to relax. For young singles I would say that it's okay for a couple of night just to relax. But you might get bored, and you know where the party is.... It's in Nungwi. To get there from Kendwa isn't always easy. They don't have any regular taxi's, so you have to depend on a friend of a friend of the guy who works at the hotel. And it takes you about 15-20min with a car to get there. The worst part is getting a ride home in the middle of the night. This is the reason why I won't recommend it to young people looking for some fun... Then it's easier to just stay in Nungwi. But for relaxation - Perfect:-) Sometimes there's a big party at Kendwa Rocks (the bugalow resort next to Sunset) The restaurant at Sunset Bungalows is okay, but nothing more. Between 3:00 p.m and 6:00 p.m the kitchen is closed and you can only order pizza.... You get tired of that;-) It's limited with reaturants and bars in Kendwa."

• Travel date: 1st March 2009

Great Beach

Reviewed 6th February 2013

"Best beach on the island with no reef so swimming at all states of the tide. No longer the secret getaway it once was now the main road is tar all the way from Stone Town. Beach bungalows can get a bit noisy if there is a party near by and some of the standard ones are due for a makeover. New apartments on the cliff top are very good but further from the sea. Staff helpful, breakfast OK for the price, facilities limited but good choice of places to eat and drink along the beach."

• Travel date: 5th January 2009

Good place who could be better

Reviewed 11th February 2013

"When we first arrived to Kendwa we thought it was a joke. Just a few places on a small tiny little road. (Can u even call it a road?) But it became better! :) We looked at all the places in Kendwa, before we decided to choose Sunset Bungalows. It was a bit overpriced from the beginning i think... They wanted 65 for a room with AC. After discussion they gave us a couple of nights for $55. The room was guite large and modern and had a large balcony , overlooking the garden with chairs and a table. (no sea view) A good hot n cold water shower. The cleaning of the room could have been little better. But I think u see the little lack of service, everywhere in Tanzania.. :S The location is good, and you take the stairs down to the beach where the beach bungalows are located (for another $10) It feels very safe around. The restaurant is located right on the beach. It is cozy and nice to sit there in the evning. The food is ok, I think. The service is BAD tho and the breakfast really sucks!! Their breakfast system is not working! The first morning we didnt get it at all! We took a table and waited. Nothing happened. A waitress passed by, and I asked. She told us that we had to go to the desk and sign a list first. Sign; table number, what time it was, the room number and how we wanted the eggs done. Ok? :/ Then u have to take tea or coffe by yourself, and then juice (as a buffet). (The juice is water and sugar, only..) After a while the waitress serves some fruit. After 15 min 2 old toasts. And then the egg. They havnt butter and jam enought so u have to walk around and ask other tables.. (It goes faster than wait for service) When I asked the staff and told them bout my thoughts, they didnt even listen. Kendwa beach is the best beach on the Island i think. (we have been around for a bit) We liked it so much that we dicided to come back again. The guy in the reception was happy to see us again, so we got the room for $50. :) The restaurants around are good too. We liked the white sands a lot! If u want to go through the village, make sure you show them respect and wear clothes(!), not just bikinis. (as anywhere in muslim countries) Finally, I think the sunset is the best choice around. It has different types of rooms for different budgets. Kendwa Rocks is a very polpular place, actually I dont understand why, white sands bungalows has got more chairs and hamocks on the beach, but we didnt like the rooms that much. Now it's up to u to decide! :D Good luck and have a good holiday!"

• Travel date: 1st December 2008

Excellent Place - Loved It

Reviewed 2nd February 2013

"We stayed here for 5 days this month. Kendwa was lovely, not too quiet, but not too busy. We didn't really like Stone Town found it quite stressful with all the hassles etc, but Kendwa wasn't like this at all. People would try and sell you trips / fruit etc on the beach but never hassling and always took NO as an answer We met people staying in Kendwa Rocks and from what we saw Sunset Bungalows were nicer. The beach itself is excellent and theres lots of choice for places to eat and drink (at least 3 or 4 within a 300-400m stretch). Money-wise we paid $90 for the first 2 nights (had agreed by email before we arriced), then we dropped to $80 for next 3. Were off season and place was only half full we think, prob could have gotten the 5 nights for about $70-$75 we reckon maybe in hindsight. We did have a nice double room though right on the beaech with aircon etc. all in all, lovely place and lovely accommodation!"

• Travel date: 27th September 2008

Exquisite Setting

Reviewed 8th February 2013

"The setting of the hotel is truly beautiful. The sunsets are out of this world. The peace and quiet is very soothing on the nerves and definately recharges the batteries. The beach is wide,open and long so walking is a wonderful form of exercise. The sea was a beautiful aquamarine clour and very clear. The weather was fantastic. BUT the rooms were very average. We had no hot water , the telephone did not work and we could not operate the air conditioning as the lever was broken. But they are clean, but also very dark. The breakfast was atrocious .Yet the lunches and suppers were really good. Found the staff members had a very offish attitude,bordering on rudeness. Came across as if they were doing US a favour in looking after the guests. The gardens could be very beautiful if they spent a little time , money and water on them. Still a lovely setting which I was grateful for."

• Travel date: 10th March 2008