The Blue Oyster, as seen from the beach.

Great Hotel - fabulous location and friendly staff

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"After a lot of research my husband and I decided to spend a week at the Blue Oyster Hotel before heading off on safari. The location of the hotel is wonderful and staff were very friendly and attentive. The food was excellent and rooms clean and airy. I would recomment heading to the Starfish Restaurant (next door to Blue Oyster) for a more local experience - it seemed to be run by young local people and offered the best fish I have tasted! All in all a wonderful expereince, great hotel and I would certainly recommend it!"

• Travel date: 2nd July 2009

Blue Oyster - The best hotel in Zanzibar!

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"I don't normally write reviews, but I feel that this hotel is worthy of some serious praise!! We were in Zanzibar for a month and researched numerous websites and books on where to stay. We decided to make our way up the east coast, from Jambiani through Pongwe to Kendwa. And I have to say, not even the well-rated (and far more expensive) Pongwe Beach Hotel came close to the Blue Oyster. The Blue Oyster in Jambiani is a little German-run hotel right on the beach. We paid about $70 per night for both of us, which included a breakfast. It was the first place we stayed at on the island, so we really didn't know what to expect... It is unbelievably good value for money! Our en-suite room was huge, with a very comfortable king size bed and a private balcony overlooking the picturesque beach! The room was clean, airy and you could hear the gentle waves crashing just outside. We were absolutely blown away. It really is the quintessential paradise. The hotel really seems to capture the easy-going lifestyle of Zanzibar perfectly. Most of the staff are from Tanzania and were literally the nicest people we have ever met. We are still actually in touch with one of the waiters, Fidelis, who went out of his way to make our stay as enjoyable as it was. I really can't recommend this place enough. My partner and I are in our 20's and while we were probably the youngest guests there at the time, we did not feel out of place at all. If you are looking for more of a party/backpacker scene though, I'd recommend Kendwa or Nungwi over Jambiani. Personally, we didn't feel that Kendwa was anywhere near as enjoyable and it is far more commercialized, which kind of defeats the object of going to a little island off the coast of Africa. One final piece of advise, if you are planning on doing a safari on the cheap, do not book it from the island! We were getting quoted prices of $1500 each for 5 days of camping! Instead we took the locals' advise and got a bus from Dar es Salaam to Iringa (under £10) and then arranged the safari from there. The locals all said that Ruaha was a better park than Serengeti and Ngorongoro, so we took their advise - and we were not let down! We used a company called Tatanca (+ 255 26 2700610) and paid about $550 all in for both of us, for a 3-day private safari, luxury accomodation at the Ruaha Hilltop Lodge, and all meals included!! Its strange to think that we were getting quoted nearly 6 times (!!) this amount for a budget camping safari..."

• Travel date: 5th March 2009

paradise!

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"The Blue Oyster was everything I expected - and more. The location right on the beach could not be bettered. At high tide the turquoise blue, bathtub warm ocean was literally just steps away, at low tide however it was quite a walk to get into the water. The rooms are large and well appointed, the bathroom spotless. My ground floor room had a large front porch overlooking palm trees and the ocean. The restaurant is above the lobby, has indoor and ourdoor tables and is, of course, overlooking the ocean. The menu is varied and the food good. For all this, the Blue Oyster is relatively inexpensive. I paid euro 55/night including breakfast for a single room. I hope I have the opportunity to return someday."

• Travel date: 28th February 2009

Blue Oyster highly recommended!

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"What really makes Blue Oyster different from the rest of the places we tried on Zanzibar was the friendly and helpful staff. Everything was sorted out with a smile. The food was good and kitchen seemed to be very clean. The setting is also beautiful on a nice stretch of beach in Jambiani (although it's not possible to swim during low tide). Jambiani seems to be windy most of the time, which is nice during the days when it doesn't get too hot, but it was a bit unpleasant some nights. We stayed in a room with sea wiev in Blue Oyster. It was spacious and clean and good value for money (compared to other places on Zanzibar). Sometimes there were some problems with electricity, but that is the same all over Zanzibar."

• Travel date: 24th January 2009

Best way to experience Jambiani

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"Blue Oyster has an excellent location right on Jambiani beach. We spent 6 nights in one of their simple but tastefully furnished, and very clean, seaview rooms. These rooms all receive a great breeze throughout the day. Bathrooms are well designed and although the water pump shut down during our stay, the staff fixed the problem within a few hours. The service is excellent - friendly and efficient. The restaurant serves delicious meals but they need to be ordered in advance or else you end up waiting for a long while. There is a dive centre and internet shop nearby. I highly recommend this hotel for its location, charm, service and great value for money."

• Travel date: 7th January 2009

An absolutely lovely hotel with the best beach on Zanzibar

Reviewed 7th November 2012

"When I look back on my boyfriend and I’s recent holiday in Zanzibar, our stay at the Blue Oyster was definitely one of my highlights. It’s a small, quiet hotel facing that picture post card sea view of Zanzibar that you fly all the way over there to see. We stayed in a sea view room which was simply decorated and spotlessly clean, as was the bathroom also. Our bed was a simple four poster traditional Zanzibari one with fresh clean white sheets and a full mosquito net. They have a stunning restaurant on the second story of the main building overlooking the water and we watched a full moon rise over the Indian ocean it was magical. If you want to get some sun they have thatched palm umbrellas with simple but nice rustic wooden loungers and pillows. Everything about it is low key and relaxing and the staff were just as friendly and helpful as everywhere else on the Island we had been to. If you want to just kick back and relax this couldn’t be a better place and we thought it was very good value. If I had to say a negative point it would only be that local kids and ladies selling massages and henna tattoos do wander up and down in front of the hotel on the beach which can be annoying at times but it’s not really that bad, and every other hotel in Jambiani will have the same problem. Overall it was a wonderful stay and I only hope that one day we can go back!"

• Travel date: 28th October 2008

Beautiful Blue Oyster

Reviewed 7th November 2012

"Excellent beach holiday. My husband stayed at the Blue Oyster in Nov/06. We went on safari and then came to the beach. The Blue Oyster was perfect. The courtyard rooms were clean and quiet. The restaurant had good food and great service (Richard, Elizabeth and Memzee). We had our own reserved table every night. Memzee would find us at 4 o'clock to pre-order our dinner for seven. The menu had a variety of food and changed daily. Breakfast was coffee, tea, fruit, cereal, bread, and eggs. A perfect place to relax on the Indian Ocean."

• Travel date: 31st August 2008

Very good beach hotel

Reviewed 19th October 2012

"This is a very good place. The only thing that is negative is the food in the restaurant, which was not very good. But service is excellent. But the hotel is nice, clean, has good value rooms, is right on the beach and has a very friendly staff. The hotel also supports the local community by letting locals run business on their premises. There's an excellent masseuse offering traditional massage right in the beach, and there's the friendly and skilled Captain Zapy who offers snorkelling trips, sailing and fishing services - you may even have the restaurant prepare the catch for you. There's a small library also, and Jambiani is a very friendly place - if you get sick of the hotel it's no problem to explore the village and the restaurants there. All in all a very good place"

• Travel date: 3rd August 2008

Great Holiday At Blue Oyster Hotel

Reviewed 12th November 2012

"It was a wonderful holiday. I can recommend the Blue Oyster Hotel and the restaurant very much! The rooms are very comfortable and cleaned daily. An original swahili- style kingsize bed is also inside the room. The view from the balcony and the restored restaurant is unique. The food tastes excellent especially the fresh fish. The employees was so friendly and helpful. The ocean is perfect for diving, swimming. Helpful information I found at www.zanzibar.de."

• Travel date: 6th April 2008

Average stay at the Blue Oyster Hotel

Reviewed 12th November 2012

"We have just returned from a week long stay at the Blue Oyster Hotel on Jambiani beach in Zanzibar. The views are magnificent and the hotel is very quiet and relaxed. Perhaps a bit to relaxed.t The staff are very frinedly and helphful. The room was neat with limited hot water and not made up every day unless we specifically went and asked. Breakfast consisted out of bread and fruit for the whole week. Eggs and sausage could be ordered on the side but was not always avaible. Lunch and dinner had to be pre-ordered and it is not unusual to wait up to an hour and a halve for a meal if it was not pre-ordered. The sea food was fresh and tasty. Their are very few places to eat around the hotel and all meals have to be pre-ordered. The hotel does not have a swimming pool and it is seldom possible to swim in the sea. During the time we were there they wind blew from around 11 in the morning till late in the evening. Most of the rooms don't have great views and are not suited to retire to and we spend a lot of time sitting under palm tree umbrellas in the wind. Snorkelling and sailing on the Dhows are available and so are half day trips to the nature reserve to view Red Colobus Monkeys or early morning trips to swim with dolphins. You can rent a car but there are few places to go to and the roads are very bad. The Beautilful beach are littered with plastic and other rubbish. I would advise a sorter stay."

• Travel date: 27th August 2006

Hotels near Blue Oyster Hotel

Blue Oyster Hotel is also called

• blue oyster hotel sansibar
  • hotel blue oyster
  • hotel blue oyster jambiani