Beach House Apartment

Good

Nice beach but very basic hostel

Reviewed 10th February 2013

"Stayed here for 2 nights, the beach is fantastic but the accommodation isn't. We stayed in some rooms towards the back of the hotel/hostel and they were pretty grim but if you spend most of your time outside the rooms they are ok. Breakfast isn't bad but be prepared for a little bit of a wait."

• Travel date: 14th February 2009

I loved this place!

Good
Reviewed 10th December 2012

"I booked a room through I-Escape and had to revise my reservation directly with the hotel and experienced no problems with this. After arriving, post safari, jet lagged, exhausted, down the bumpy road, KendwaRocks was heaven on earth. I may have acutally heard angel's sing upon my first view of the beach (see pic). My room was clean and cooled by fan and air con. The view was awe inspiring - - I had a lovely veranda, but spent the majority of my time in a lounger or in the bar. I can confirm that the staff isn't very attentive, but they are definitely making efforts toward this end. I had dinner with Omar (I think he's in charge of the wait staff) one night and he offered gentle suggestions to our waiter on how to provide a more pleasant experience (everything okay? would you like a glass of wine?) in a positive and reassuring manner. And anyway, I sort of like the not so in your face approach to vacation. I've been at the Ritz or Four Seasons and have had the staff spraying me with Evian, etc...and after awhile that's just not fun anymore. And the food was delicious - - prawn coco, chicken coco, calamari and chips...divine! I would go back in a heart beat. The beach is beautiful and the staff is helpful, but not in your face and overbearing. I love the African ingenuity, but the loungers must have a more comfortable material than coarse rope! I highly recommend KendwaRocks to any holiday maker to whom the setting is the most important aspect of a vacation, because what you do with that setting will make (or break!) your experience. And for me, this setting was heaven!"

• Travel date: 1st February 2009

NIce setting but lazy staff on Kendwa Rocks

Reviewed 9th February 2013

"The hotel has an excellent setting on one of the beach beaches on Zanzibar. The restaurant is right on the beach. So far so good, but there are some problems. The food being one of them. A lot of newly arrived tourists got sick during our stay there. The staff is another problem. Everything started very nice with a very friendly man showing us around, but the rest of the staff was just very lazy. Ordering food was very difficult, since they were more interested in chatting with each other and they got really annoyed when someone tried to call for attention. The rooms in themselves are not the best value for money. If being without a private bathroom isn't a problem we would recommend the second floor beach bandas, which are quite good value. The bungalows are a bit dark and not very nice on the inside, but they have a very nice setting on the front row."

• Travel date: 27th January 2009

Sleep ? whats that for !

Reviewed 31st January 2013

"Big difference in types of accommodation here , you pays your money and takes your choice. My choice would be the beachside makuti thatch huts, which are luxury compared to most. Plenty of little gripes, like the light bulbs blown, but they do have a generator and that is important on Zanzibar because of the frequent power cuts. You get a stoop to sit on, and a hammock, aircon that sort of works, but there was a fan anyway. The bed had mosquito nets, but the sheets were worn, (nothing unusual there) ensuite bathroom had lots of hot water all the time. We found each place had different facilities, for instance the one next to us had a safe, but we had to use the office safe deposit. Some don't have hot water apparently. I was surprised it was a "semi" I expected the whole hut to be for us but fortunately next door were not noisy. Cant say the Full Moon Party was quiet however, !!!! what an experience, actually , this place is very much a youngsters hang out, and plenty of sex tourism was observed, but I have to say I really liked the place, love the beach bar, love the beach, and the sea, food not so good, but next door, literally hundred yards up the beach was a really good bar / restaurant and the next one along, the White Sands hotel beach bar was excellent as well, and not too pricey. If you want a really cheap place to eat at local prices, you go out the front gate and and there is a cafe, you cant see what you are eating at night and there is no choice, but my daughter loved it, and because mum and dad were with her we actually got knives and forks. Zanzibaris respect age! Overall, I would say they are trying to improve step by step, felt perfectly safe,its good place for youngsters to meet people,and it is about half an hour walk up the beach to Nungwi, but you run the gauntlet of the tat sellers and masseurs/ henna girls, all the way."

• Travel date: 7th October 2008

Don't go!!

Reviewed 25th January 2013

"Don't stay here. Most people go here because it's the biggest name around, but it was horrible. The staff was rude and completely uncaring about any of our needs. We felt very unsafe and had two seperate occasions when people were trying to get in our room very late at night!! Horrible. We re-located after two nights to a hotel just down the beach that was cheaper, cleaner, and way friendlier. Sorry, can't remember the name of that one! The area is beautiful, but the hotel itself is awful and there's not much else to do around there other than to hang out there."

• Travel date: 24th July 2008

Nice Beach - Rooms ok!

Reviewed 21st January 2013

"We stayed here in late June/early July for 2 nights. We took a 'basic' room, which is exactly what it sounds like! The rooms have a bit of a storage locker feel but let's be honest you'll be spending all your time at the beach right? The rooms have nets and fans in them, and you also get a massive can of RAID ant spray (which was a bit worrying!). The shared bathrooms are good and bad. They have hot water and pretty good showers, but they could be cleaner. The basic rooms are tucked away from view right at the back of the resort. The bandas and cottages are much nicer and nearer the beach. There is a pretty good restaurant, which serves a nice breakfast (with really good spiced tea yum!) and the bar has a laid back feel with hammocks etc. The more lively bar is further down the beach. They also have an internet cafe which had the fastest internet I had used in Tanzania."

• Travel date: 19th July 2008

Love, love, loved the place!!!!

Reviewed 10th December 2012

"Three of us stayed here for a couple of nights after climbing Kilimanjaro. I have to admit, they aren't very hot on replying to e-mails, so when we landed at the airport, I was rather worried as to whether we had a vehicle to pick us up or not. Luckily the taxi was there. It took just over an hour to get to Kendwa, and once off the main road, the track down to the properties is awful. We checked into a four-bed banda with no problem and was surprised to see that there were clean towels, insect repeelant, air freshener and a toilet roll as well as candles supplied in the banda which cost $100 for two nights. It was clean, and the shared bathroom was just outside the door, with flushing toilets and hot showers, an absolute luxury after being on the mountain for a week and peeing down a hole! The beach was stunning, clear turquoise sea and white pristine beach with plenty of hammocks and sunbeds. The bar/resaurant had a great vibe and there was a good choice of delicious food at reasonable prices. We indulged in massage on the beach and henna by some lovely ladies situated by the Spanish divers place. The staff were lovely and made you feel really welcome. Although its a back-packers type of place, it appeals to all agaes, our group ranged from 40-53years. We noticed a few older couples, there were a family with three kids as well as a younger crowd. I loved it here and want to go back for a full-moon beach party."

• Travel date: 28th June 2008

Beware

Reviewed 19th January 2013

"Let me first say, Kendwa beach is beautiful and much nicer than close by Nungwie. The facilities at Kendwa Rocks are also nice. Nice bar, ok rooms, great beach location. The staff is, however, horrible. Staffwise Kendwa Rocks has got to be the most awful hotel I've ever stayed in. The staff is slow and ignorant at best. Some are even rude. Also AVOID the overpriced Restaurant which serves disgusting food."

• Travel date: 25th April 2008

We moved out after 2 days, overpriced backpackers

Reviewed 13th December 2012

"Sadly for all its write-ups, we were very disappointed in this place. The owner is cashing big bucks -$65pn for an overpriced backpackers which is not a backpackers. Nothing is being reinvested in the units to keep them up to standard, our bungalow Manda had a broken shower holder so one couldn't hang up the shower,head, the toilet holder is broken so the roll lies around on the floor,the towelrail is broken and missing.Nothing was provided to place any clothes anywhere except 2 hooks.The mosquito nets had at least 6-8 holes in them and not small ones either, towels were missing and the deckchairs broken. The roof over the verandah was beginning to disintegrate as had the lampshades which were also partially missing and the securty safe didn't work. I can understand and accept all these points in a cheap low class backpackers but not in a $65.-pn hotel. I also went to the reception and asked if they could replace the nets, fix the safe and provide some towels. The latter they did but the nets I'm sure are still hanging and they didn't seem to think that was necessary. Well nobody stays long anyway. The service was unfriendly and disinterested and gave the impression they didn't care less. Breakfast was served at the beach where one poured ones own tea out of a common flask, collected ones marg. and jam from common jars which were sticky and covered in flies and the waiter brings the breakfast which one orders -egg- boiled,fried or omlette on one plate together a small slice of pineapple and a piece of melon and 3-4 small pieces of bread separating them. We didn't eat there in the evening because the staff made such a disinterested impression. One good point -new quiet AC's in our bungalow but we were glad we had our own coils. The setting is nice, altho the local play football outside the verandah before sunset and the bar provides lots of loud music - the loudest on the beach, until midnight. We moved next door to the Amman which was luxury and cost $50pn"

• Travel date: 14th March 2007

Hotels near Kendwa Rocks Beach Hotel

Kendwa Rocks Beach Hotel is also called

• Kendwarocks Bungalows
  • kendwarocks bungalows hotel
  • kendwarocks bungalows hotel zanzibar