Good

Robbed 3 times

Reviewed Mon 25th of January 2010

"We are a young family who stayed at the Cabanas for a week last year. We were robbed 3 times. The 1st time someone came into my room whilst I was sleeping and took my purse off the side, 2nd time was around the pol when one of the staff walked off with my 3 yr olds toys and denied taking them, and lastly £700 was taken from our safe. The cabanas hotel are taking no responsibility for this and have treated us extremely badly. It is a very corrupt place to go - do not take families!"

• Travel date: Mon 25th of January 2010

Watch out for thieves

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"we had several things stolen from our room at the Cabanas. We cannot prove it was an inside job, but please look out for this, especially on the ground floor. Hotel management were not helpful in the matter either. Spoilt our holiday!!"

• Travel date: Fri 9th of January 2009

Not for us

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"We are regular visitors to South Africa. There are now so many great place to stay. On the basis of this vist the Cabanas at Sun City is not one of them. On the positive side, there is plenty in the resort for young children to do and the breakfast buffett was good. But the rooms are really tired and over priced compared with other resorts in South Africa. The Family room we stayed in was too small for a family with two older children. We had the longest wait in a check in queue I have ever experienced and no apology when we did eventually reach the head of the line. Overall it felt a bit like it was trying to be a cross between Las Vegas and Disney Land but suceeded only in being tacky, crowded and noisy."

• Travel date: Sat 3rd of January 2009

Another good stay at the Cabanas, Sun City

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"This was my second visit with a teenage son to Sun City, staying at the Cabanas. We had a good time there in 2007 and were not disappointed this time either. True to last year's Trip Advisor review, we spent longer there this time.

The room in the Cabanas was comfortable and clean, complete with ensuite bathroom, flat screen TV, desk, sofa, etc (see photos), and the Cabanas' breakfast was enormous and very very good. I'd stay here again if returning to Sun City (and I'd like to do that again too).

Sun City itself is fabulous - for all ages. If you have safety fears being in South Africa, they do not apply to Sun City.

We flew to Johannesburg from Perth, arriving in the evening, and stayed overnight at a nearby airport hotel/casino complex (I'll write a separate review for the Metcourt Laurel Hotel). We had pre-arranged a transfer from there to Sun City, along with a return transfer from Sun City back to the airport. The transfers were on-time, in late model Toyota sedans, and well worth it to make sure you get to where you are going safely, comfortably and on-time. Sun City is about 2 hours drive from Johannesburg airport.

The facilities at Sun City are brilliant. It is, afterall, a resort used by locals and overseas visitors alike. There are some facilties within Sun City which are free, and others which are run externally (and paid for separately).

The birds of prey show and mini zoo (the birds of prey themselves - owls, falcon, vulture, hawk eagle, kestrel, buzzard, etc - plus macaws and parrots and other birds, squirrel monkeys and marmosets, goats, pigs, springbok, Welsh ponies, nyala and duiker are close to the Cabanas, free and frankly wonderful for kids (but we enjoyed it as adults, and went back twice). Vervet monkeys roam the grounds too.

There are lake water sports (at a cost) (we went parasailing and jet skiing) and a water park with slides, a beach and wave pool (free for guests), a golf course, shops and numerous other pools.

Pilanesberg Game Reserve is close by, and you are collected from Sun City for game drives (I can confirm - plenty of game to see). We did a dawn balloon safari from there; collection and drop-off at the Cabanas reception. You might not see a lot of game from up high, but the balloon experience is worth it - if you want to tick-off hot air ballooning from your own personal bucket list, why not do it over a game reserve in Africa?! There is the elephant back safari (which is just awesome - THE highlight of both our visits to Sun City), a crocodile park (with meercats too), a predator park (a zoo with big cats etc), all of which need to be paid for separately.

At night, there are casinos, a bar/nightclub, other bars at the individual hotels, an amusement arcade (open all day), and a cinema. The eating is great - from very nice restaurants such as The Famous Butchers Grill in the Cabanas itself, to family restaurants and takeaway food such as pizza and burgers - it will suit adults or children alike.

I can't speak highly enough of Sun City, and the Cabanas provided fine accommodation therein. As mentioned, I really hope to go back for a third time, soon."

• Travel date: Sat 9th of August 2008

loved it

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"we were on a holiday visiting our family which lived in south africa they decided to take us on a 3 night trip to sun city. we stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. check in which was very easy and loved the staff who seemed cheery and enthuastic. the complex was spotless. the monkeys going around added to the atmosphere. the pool was fantastic and big. the lake and activities were excellent and reasonably priced. the food and drink was cheap but so was everything.

the room was fantastic and great to have a balcony, our other family was right beside us which made it extra good. the shower and toilet worked which in hotels doesnt usually.

breakfast was amazing, lots to offer and great quality. hot food was always coming out so nothing ran out. an extra bonus was that you didnt have a time and the breakfast was on untill 11.00 i think.

overall, i would definatley stay at this hotel again and would reccommend it to everyone."

• Travel date: Tue 5th of August 2008

Wonderfull surroundings, excellent service, great food, overall excellent stay!

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"Me and my family visited Sun City over a weekend for my sister's 21st birthday and we enjoyed it very much!

The Sun City grounds are very well kept and there's too much to see for a weekend only. The gardens are lush and green and you would never find a single piece of litter anywhere. There's a bird-park, waterworld and fantastic tropical gardens with a hang-bridge to stroll through.

We stayed at the Cabanas and we were all very pleased. The rooms have recently been re-done and it's clean, modern and comfortable. The rooms are fully serviced by wonderfully friendly staff, for which nothing is too much trouble.

The breakfast at tha Palm Terrace restaurant was a buffet and if you think of something that you'd want for breakfast, believe me, it's there! The quality of the food is excellent and I've never seen such a wide selection in my life. The friendly staff keep your coffee cup full and even supplied hot chocolate when we asked!

They sang to my sister the morning of her birthday, baked a cake with her name on and even decorated the table with flowers and champagne! They were really wonderfull and made us feel special.

We also received complimentary tickets for the show (Let there be Rock) and enjoyed it very much. There's also a lot to do : we went on a cruise on the lake, visited two casinos, had a wonderfull meal at the rastaurant (Squires Loft) and lounged at the beautiful pool. Th sky-train is also a must-do and the valley of waves is worth a visit.

We had an overall wonderful stay and can't wait to go back there! The road to Sun City is not so nice, but the reward is worth it through and through!"

• Travel date: Tue 19th of June 2007

Worst hotel I have ever stayed in!!!!

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"I recently checked into the Cabanas for a 1 night stay as a quick escape from Johannesburg during a work trip. Having paid 1400Rand (approx USD250)for the room, and having heard so much about Sun City, I was extremely excited. However upon checking in, I was shocked at the state of the hotel. The hotel is made up of blocks of 2storey buildings scattered around the grounds. I had to walk up a flight of stairs to reach my room (the light on the staircase didn't work!). Upon reaching the room, I was shocked to find the tiniest of rooms without any windows (I found it extremely claustrophobic!) The glass door is accessed through the common corridor & as this is the main route for other guests to enter their room, one would need to have the curtains closed at all times for privacy. Whilst I didn't mind the small room, I found the fittings, ID & furniture to be dated and in serious need of a renovation. The Air conditioning did not work and when I called up the number to complain, I got through to one of the other hotels in Sun City and the lady was not very helpful. There were also cockraoches in the room!! I wouldn't have minded so much if I was expecting a 2 star hotel but having paid USD 250 for the room, one would expect at least a clean working room!! It was certainly the worst hotel I have ever stayed in and will certainly not recommend people to use it. If I had to describe the hotel - I would probably say it looked like a motel!"

• Travel date: Mon 27th of March 2006

wonderland

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"from the day we arrived to celebrate my husbands 50th birthday we were treated with respect and kindness beyond our dreams. from the manager to the cleaners, everyone had a word of warmth and politeness for us. nothing was a problem and our every request was dealt with to our satisfaction. the hotel was spotless, as were the rooms and everything inside them. the african people made you feel like you were the most important people there and always had a smile and a warm greeting whenever we passed by. in all our travels we have never met a warmer, kinder and more polite group of staff and management than we found in africa. the food was awesome,giving us the opportunity to try food from different cultures every night. to say it was paradise on earth for us would be no understatement. we loved every minute of it. finally, if the manager, harry, and his wife isabelle get to see this we thank you and your staff for all your kindness in making robert's 50th birthday a time we will never forget."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of January 2006

Good value for money

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"We stayed a room overlooking the golf course and an artificial lake. The view is lovely and the room is spacious. The food and service are also good. What's more, you can have access to almost all facilities in the Sun City without paying the much higher price for staying at other hotels in the Sun City!
There are just so many things to do there that we did not spend much time in our room. The crocodile golf course is definitely worth trying and the horse ridding s a must try!"

• Travel date: Thu 11th of November 2004