The Pool at the Sunset Beach Hotel

Good

Nice Hotel - almost too much service!

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"My husband and I stayed at Sunset Beach for 4 nights before moving on to L'Archipel in Praslin. We stayed in a Junior Suite as apparently there were no deluxe rooms available. This was costly but it was a lovely big room with a balcony that faced over the ocean (no. 27). We even saw dolphins swimming right past us on our first night. I do think this was luck though - we didn't see them again despite much sitting and watching! When you arrive you get a full-on welcome with lais and cocktails. The staff make sure they know everyone's name straight away. The private beach is beautiful and very rarely busy. The bar is up on stilts above the ocean and every night there are literally hundreds of fish swimming down below. I thought the food was pretty average, but apparently it's much better than the restaurants in Beau Vallon. Some friends of ours visited a couple of small restaurants there and said they were nothing special (both food and atmostphere) - even the comparitively expensive places. So I probably would recommend booking half board although we went B&B. The location is pretty good and you can take advantage of one of the excursions. We booked one through our rep at the hotel and headed out to Moyenne - I can't recommend this day trip highly enough. It is a beautiful tropical island owned by Brendon Grimshaw, a very chatty British millionaire. There are also huge tortoises roaming free around the island. The trip also includes snorkelling off the reef in St Annes National Marine Park. Stunning! I do have some constructive criticism of Sunset Beach - don't go to there if you like the freedom to serve yourself or eat when you fancy it. The eating is quite formal and quiet - even lunch. Snacks in the day are pretty much unheard of, so this reduces some of your flexiblity. Also, the waitresses wouldn't even let us top up our own wine glass or beer - they come rushing over and grab it out of your hand before you have a chance to pour!! It might just be me, but I felt we were always being watched! The service is great, but they could perhaps loosen up a little occassionally (perhaps that's just me)!! :-) Other than that, it was fabulous - a very special place. But if you are after the tropical beaches with white sand and green sea you really should try praslin, which is much more the stereotype of a tropical island. In hindsight I would have done 2/3 days in Sunset Beach and 8 nights in Praslin L'Archipel."

• Travel date: 14th August 2005

Excellent Honeymoon Location

Reviewed 24th December 2012

"We stayed here for a week from 28 May. We actually got married there too. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. The location is excellent, near enough and far enough from Victoria to get from the aiport quickly and back to do some shopping on the bus (30p). We had room 12 which is one of only a few with uninterrupted sea views. Excellent size and big bathrooms. The food is A' La Carte standard all the way including the buffet nights. Go half board as there is no where else close by. From the welcoming flowers and cocktail to our chauffeur driven lift back to the aiport we had no complaints."

• Travel date: 16th June 2005

Paradise on earth

Reviewed 1st November 2012

"I was treated to a week's holiday here for my 50th birthday. My partner and I arrived to find an idyllic location surrounded by a sparkling blue sea. The staff were very friendly and attentive. A garland of flowers was presented to me on arrival, followed by a long cooling drink. Our room turned out to be a suite, with the bed covered in petals spelling out "Happy honeymoon". Oops! We did explain that it was a birthday present, not a wedding, and luckily they did not remove the free bottle of wine! Sliding doors led to a private terrace and garden, with sunloungers and table. Here we sat every evening listening to relaxing music. I can still close my eyes and feel the warm air on my bare arms. the temperature never varies, so evenings are just as warm as during the day. The bed was enormous; petals were strewn tastefully around the furniture and in the bathroom. The bath was huge; the whole bathroom very luxurious. Towels were changed twice a day. Bliss! We had the pool to ourselves every morning, and wandered down to the private beach every afteroon. Sun loungers were placed there and cleaned every morning. The sea was blue, warm and clear, ideal for basking. Food was excellent, with a wide variety of dishes, always including local cuisine. Entertainment was provided on one night of our stay by a local band, so we were able to enjoy some dancing. Service was unbelievable; never have I been made to feel so welcome, and such smiles. I had an ear to ear grin throughout my stay and have never been so happy in my entire life. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel. However, stay away and let me have it to myself!"

• Travel date: 22nd May 2005

Very Romantic

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"I loved the place. We used it as a honeymoon destination. The service was excellent with a lot of warm smiles, helpfulness and willingness to meet any demands to make your stay more comfortable. The stunning beach is as private as it can get with lovely blue water that is perfect for snorkeling in or just a quick swim. Supper was one of the favourite times of the day with a wide variety of food - again very accommodating for any dietary requirements."

• Travel date: 16th May 2005

Fantastic place

Reviewed 1st November 2012

"There is nothing more to say than FANTASTIC. Food was great, there was always one local dish offered - which I can highly suggest - whether it was Creole style fish or Octopus curry - . The service was excellent. The place is like a paradise - situated on this little peninsula overlooking this incredible ocean - on one side there is this little beach with powdery white sands. Its perfect for kids also plus further down it offers great snorkelling. This combination is rarely seen! It was stunning and absolutely top!"

• Travel date: 28th April 2005

PERFECT FOR A HONEYMOON

Reviewed 22nd October 2012

"Sunset Beach Hotel is fantastic. We have just arrived back from spending our honeymoon there! It exceeded all our expectations! The staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms are stunning! They all have king size beds in them! We stayed in room 12 - which is right on the beach! Def the best room! In fact rooms 12 - 18 are all on the beach and you fall asleep at night listening to the waves breaking on the beach! It is a fantastic small hotel with no children under 10 allowed - perfect for a romantic getaway! The food was also outstanding - 4 course meals each night! We will definitely be going back there!"

• Travel date: 17th January 2005

Wonderful

Reviewed 27th October 2012

"I got married at this hotel in November 2003 and my husband and I went there this year again. Each time we stayed at the Junior Suite - they have beautiful views and are private. If you stay at JR No. 27 the only drawback is, that is does not have any outside space (Sep 04) but they are in a process of building a terrace. The bathroom in this JR is huge! From the bath you have a view on the mountaines, there is a separate shower room. And the views from this JR are outstanding! We always have Half Board. You will have soup, starter, main course (choise of 3) plus desert. We cannot fault the food here. We always enjoyed it very much. The service is very good, our room was always clean. The bar is built over the sea. The beach is clean. My husband took a fishing rod with him and he caught loads of different types of fishes (he let them go :-) I can recommend this hotel to everybody. If you like quiet, relaxing holiday - this is the place to go. My husband is already planning our next holiday - guess where - at the Sunset Beach Hotel, Mahe."

• Travel date: 24th December 2004

Fantastic!

Reviewed 14th November 2012

"Wonderful relaxing environment. Fabulous food. Excellent and very friendly service. Secluded and sunny beach. Very spacious rooms. Quiet, relaxed and idyllic. Do you get the feeling we enjoyed it? Do you get the feeling we would go back? Right on both counts."

• Travel date: 1st November 2004

Away from it all

Reviewed 14th November 2012

"Great location - probably the best on the island. Well worth upgrading to a suite - much better location with full sunset views. Deluxe rooms set on a (public) beach and some guests complained that they had little privacy. Snorkelling superb. Food mediocre - especially breakfasts. Lunches much better - simple grilled fish, curries, salads and steaks. Guests on HB option complained about food whilst we were there. Our recommendation is to book RB - you can request items from lunch menu to be cooked to order at dinner. Also much cheaper to book the dinner option whilst there rather than prebooking. No other restaurants within walking distance. Wonderful for a quiet, intimate, get away from it all holiday - lots of honeymooners! Staff lovely."

• Travel date: 30th October 2004

Peaceful Paradise

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"The Sunset Beach Hotel exceeded all our expectations! The staff were delightful, the setting was wonderful and the food was excellent! A really lovely place to relax and a short bus ride away from Victoria. Perfect honeymoon destination or a quiet beach holiday."

• Travel date: 26th September 2004