Coral Strand Smart Choice Hotel Seychelles

The Standard Ocean View Room at the Coral Strand Smart Choice Hotel Seychelles

Very noisy - loud music till 2am & service very bad

Reviewed 31st December 2012

"As an extensive traveller, i am very open minded and have never written a negative review .. till now. This hotel appears to have no management function at all. Service is terrible, staff are not trained but the biggest problem is the loud music they play till 2am. There is little in the way of sound proofing - it is impossible to sleep even with all the doors/ windows closed and air-con on full. The hotel has a great location - amazing beach and would be ideal for a party animal but if you are looking for some sleep, book elsewhere. (Our room had a major ant problem and leaky air-con. There aren't enough loungers or umbrellas at the pool or beach either)"

• Travel date: 31st December 2012

Worst Hotel ever

Reviewed 6th September 2012

"This was the worst Hotel I've ever been to. My husband and I luckily only stayed there one night (1st September 2012). First of all there was no mention on the website that the Hotel was still in a "soft opening" stage. This meant that we were staying right in a construction site! This was very disruptive as we could not even enjoy our lunch in peace and quiet! Further more, I paid 40 Euro for an indivual transfer the next day at a certain time which I had corresponded via email prior to arrival, on arrival and on the day of departure. On the day of departure we arranged for a late check out and two hours before our taxi had to pick us up, the reception calls and informs us very rudely that we are late for the airport transfer. We had to take a freakin' bus which I paid 40 Euro for!!! We could've arranged our own taxi for that rip off, thank you! Needless to say, we also paid 40 Euro for the late check out unneccessarily. This Hotel is a total rip off! There is nothing smart about the Hotel. The Wi-fi did not work in our room. It only had signal in the restuarant (this the porter told us). Our TV in the bedroom did not even work! The mini-bar is non-existent. When we arrived at the room there was only one bottle of water inside. When I phoned reception to coe stock the mini-bar, they came and put another bottle of water in! It's ridiculous that there was no other beverages on offer! The bedding was also terrible. We had only a sheet to sleep under! This was the worst experience I've ever had!!"

• Travel date: 6th September 2012

a 3-star hotel, not more but not less

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"I have read all the (mainly bad) reviews and I just would like to say that the Coral Strand is a 3-star hotel. You simply have to keep it in mind. We stayed in the Coral Strand for one week and it met our expectations: a very nice beach, nice sea and nice island. The Hotel was okay even if it could do better, means that there is a lot of space for optimization (first of all it should be renovated, outside and inside). The rooms are very simple. They have air conditioning and safe, but don't have TV, Minibar, shampoo. Everything is a little bit old and I didn't like the toilet seat in plastic. The Hotel staff was kind and friendly and the buffet was a little bit better than 3 stars, let's say a 3+. Overall we enjoyed our stay in the Coral Strand, because we got what we have booked"

• Travel date: 24th July 2006

Perfect spot, perfect hospitality, perfect management

Reviewed 9th November 2012

"We (two travellers from Holland) were pleasantly surprised by the hospitality and service of this hotel! From the first moment we arrived until the last hour of our stay everything was perfect: the warm welcome, the possibillity that we could change to a preferred room, the rich and delightful menus, the staff who was always smiling, the general manager who was always interested in your wellbeing and who was always at your disposal in the hotel. We will certainly come back to the Coral Strand Hotel! Thanks for the very enjoyable time here!"

• Travel date: 15th July 2006

Unbelievable

Reviewed 9th November 2012

"Just read the last review on this page for the Coral Strand..what a lot of rubbish!!! The Coral Strand is an outstanding Hotel, clean, well placed, the staff (everyone) are so friendly and helpful & welcoming. I left cameras, computers, cash, and other goodies on full view in our room and NOTHING was ever touched! The girl who cleaned our room took great pride in her job and it was great seeing her beautiful smiling face in mornings. The menus are breathtaking in their variety and quantity and the view from the restaraunt is God given! All of the staff did everything possible to make our stay one which we will remember for a lifetime, and as for it being expensive I have stayed in 5 star Hotels worldwide who could take a lesson from the Coral Strand and its Staff. Believe me I watch our holiday photos at least once a week, I listen to the music from the musicians who visited the hotel daily and at night before I go to sleep I think back with love on the beach & Coral Strand Hotel who gave me a once in a lifetime experience."

• Travel date: 18th June 2006

We found it great!

Reviewed 27th October 2012

"The Coral Strand Hotel hardly deserves the bad rap. This is a small friendly older hotel, the rooms are small, basic, and yes, no televisions! Rooms are for sleeping in! Who needs a TV any way with the beach, sunsets, shopping, local entertainment and the Monday night cocktail parties. If you really need one, there is one on the balcony on the mezzanine floor. The food was always fabulous, some plain, some creole, but always good and plentiful. For a great change there is an authentic Indian restaurant attached to the hotel. This is an island in the middle of nowhere, and if you want designer cuisine, choose another hotel. We were a party of four, and enjoyed every minute of our stay, we had no problem with the staff, no theft, although there was opportunity, and our rooms were cleaned daily and were fresh and air conditioned. The rest of the hotel was clean, and the beach was swept daily! The Staff were friendly, neat and tidy, and knowledgeable about where to go and what to do. The manager was a great host, and we were never at a loss for something to do. This hotel is a good deal for its price. If you want luxury and a big price tag, go next door to the BanyanTtree. Me, I'll continue my stays at the Coral Strand, because the staff are great, and they remember my name!"

• Travel date: 6th June 2006

A charming and quaint hotel

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"I cannot believe that people are writing such terrible thingsabout this hotel. We stayed at the hotel for our honeymoon in 2003 and had a great time. As with all things you get what you pay for and with some rooms on the island costing over £1000 a night, just relax and enjoy the Seychelles. The hotel might not be the most luxurious in the Seychelles, but IS excellent value. The view must be one of the finest on any island in the world."

• Travel date: 28th May 2006

Chef Carl and Coral Strand Hotel - Perfection

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"I stayed in this hotel in May, June, August and October 2003 and once again in January 2006. Chef Carl was the executive chef in 2003 and the food, atmosphere and ambience in the restaurants was a blast. He would put on cooking shows, great Sunday BBQs, Creole specials in the Pizzeria and wonderful nightly buffets using the best foods that the island had to offer. The Indian restaurnat was ok but not worth missing out on the nightly buffet. The hotel is very clean, comfortable and the staff are always friendly. My request were always delivered. On my next visit in 2006 I found that Chef Carl had left and had taken his great cooking skills, ambience and atmosphere with him. The hotel lost a great asset as the standard has gone down. Staff are still very friendly and the hotel is still very clean and comfortable. I would suggest the mamanegment of this hotel find Chef Carl and bring him back onboard as the period he was with the hotel was the best ever. Beau Vallon Bay Hotel is terrible, dirty place, food is poor and the staff behave stressed out and the Fishermans Cove is just too expensive. I love the Seychelles and its always a shame when something so good is then lost. My family and I will always remember the good times of the Coral Strand Hotel with Chef Carl and his professional kitchen team."

• Travel date: 9th May 2006

Terrible hotel (keep an eye on your money in the room safe)

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"Surfing the web, I just remembered the time I spent with my wife in one of the worst hotels I ever stayed in. Back in 2003, they didn´t have even a simple TV set in the rooms. The hotel is very basic. The rooms are not clean and the furniture is old. The Seychelles are (regarding nature) surely one of the most beautiful places on the planet but even being such a beautiful place they are highly overpriced, so you get to pay for such a black hole as a Coral Strarnd hotel an amount of money that can afford you a fantastic hotel in south-east Asia. If plan to visit Seychelles, don´t go to Coral Strand hotel because it is ugly, dirty, and yout might get your money stolen by the local stuff. It happened to my wife and me. We had about 2000 EURO cash deposited in the room safe. The first day they stole us a 200 EURO bill from the pile. It was surely done by the local hotel stuff because the real thief would have taken it all. The person who took it didn´t count that I would count the money the first day, after leaving the beach. So, to conclude: DON´T GO THERE!!! Go to Berjaya Hotel on Beau Vallon Beach (which is surely one of the most beautiful beaches I´ve ever seen) it is onlly 200 m distant from Coral Strand. Good luck and enjoy the Seychelles."

• Travel date: 3rd May 2006

relatively low priced holiday

Reviewed 22nd November 2012

"Coral Strand hotel was our last station in a three weeks' stay on Seychelles. It is optimally located with respect both to the capital Victoria (cheap bus traffic) and, above all, to the large, beautiful beach which offers excellent possibilities for swimmers. The rooms are OK (we had one of the so called suites with separate living and bedroom, so we were spoiled with respect to the normal rooms). We were on halb-board. Food is not outstanding, but perfectly OK (always buffet). On the beach the hotel offers complimentary boats (kayaks). Service is correct. The large hotel building with five floors seems to have only one elevator."

• Travel date: 6th April 2006

You get what you pay for!

Reviewed 17th November 2012

"Recently got back from here following a 12 day stay. As others have mentioned its location can't be faulted. The hotel appearence and rooms were a little tired, but it was clean. The food at the hotel was OK, but nothing sepcial. We expected the hotel to be on its own with little else around. We were pleasantly suprised to be able to find 4 or 5 restaurants within a 5 min walk, with options for lunch and dinner so this didn't present a problem. Also you can go to the other nearby hotels for food as well. The Al Mare restaurant was particularly good. The neighbouring hotels look larger and smarter, but their location was no better and you pay a lot more for them. Coral Strand was cheaper than other hotels, and you get what you pay for to some extent. However, I think that bearing in mind the cost, it was value for money (by Seychelles standards!)"

• Travel date: 1st December 2005

Best holiday we had since years

Reviewed 17th November 2012

"We expected a holiday as usual, but we got back more than happy. The atmosphere in the hotel was exceptional, we did not expect such personal service. We got several trips from Glass Bottom Boat seeing nice fishes, a very professional diving course and an exceptional mountain walk with Basil. Finally we got a big parcel of lemon grass given by the restaurant manager. We had lovely Indian food in MAHE the Indian restaurant, also the Creole food was marvellous. Coral Strand hotel with no doubt is at the best beach of Mahe, everything is nearby and lying really at the beach with all facilities is a real relaxing experience. We made many excursions around the island and again and again we have been excited about the beautiful wild flowers, the authentic tropic nature and nice beaches. But when we came back to our hotel, we felt proud about the best place with the most beautiful beach. At evening we had several nice discussions with other guests, partly from Seychelles and other countries, we really got the feeling to live within one family. Coral Strand is a cosy family hotel not a 5 star hotel with sterile ambience. We got a new family room with nice living room and a separate bed room for us. Our suite really was in perfect order tastefully furnished with can furniture, wooden wardrobe and matching fabrics. Every day our room was cleaned very perfect, we really got enough fresh towels, fresh bed sheets. The reception on arrival was really a recovery after the long flight, we got refreshing towels air-conditioned rooms and a very nice fruit basket. I know our children will urge us to come back and we have got no arguments to refuse. We can not understand at all some frustrated bad comments given by some visitors."

• Travel date: 23rd November 2005

Hotels near Coral Strand Smart Choice Hotel Seychelles

Top traveller tips for Coral Strand Smart Choice Hotel Seychelles

• by mich0016

"Avoid this hotel at all costs!"

Coral Strand Smart Choice Hotel Seychelles is also called

• Coral Strand Hotel
  • hotel coral strand
  • coral strand beau vallon