Berjaya Beau Vallon Bay Resort & Casino - Seychelles

What a miserable experience

Reviewed Mon 15th of November 2010

"Not just this resort (which seemed to specialise in very poor service, excessivly overpriced low quality food, and facilities that were average - at best), but the country as a whole.

Having stayed in the Berjaya in Singapore and KL, I expected the same value for money, polite, efficient and effective service and ammeneties fron the Beau Vallon Resort. What a dissapointment. If I was part of the management of this resort (and the Berjaya Corporation as a whole), I would be embarrased by the levels of customer service, the dirty and unkept ammenities, the lack of basic facilities and the excessive charges levied.

I was that dissapointed in the resort, that I cut my time there in 1/2 and returned to Mauritius where they actually treat tourists in a respectable manner.

And they still (after almost 3 weeks) havent refunded the outstanding credit to my card.

For a country that relies totally on tourism, they treat tourists very badly. The poor service extended across just about every establishment we visited. The excessive charges levied on tourists (eg: mother-in-law was born there and considered a local, was charged 50rupees for a tour and they wanted to charge me 2000???????) is just a plain rip off."

• Travel date: Mon 15th of November 2010

Visited the Berjaya as part of our honey...

Reviewed Fri 18th of January 2008

"Visited the Berjaya as part of our honeymoon in March 2006. The best bit about the hotel was the lovely beach it sits on, the water is like a warm bath. (Just look out for all the crabs hiding in the sand!).

Considering we upgraded our hotel we were very disappointed with it. The rooms are very basic and crawling with ants. The bathroom was extremely disappointing; the shower was quite small and a bit mouldy.

The pizzeria restaurant was the best and it’s right on the beach which did make it a bit chilly at night but lovely all the same.

The pool area was good, nice and clean but not enough sun loungers to go round.

We were only staying for 5 days which I'm very glad about.

I would definitely go back to the Seychelles but not this hotel.

• Travel date: Fri 18th of January 2008

Old, sad, disappointing

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Have just stayed here. Go at your own risk. I much preferred the 3 star Coral STrand next door at a third of the price."

• Travel date: Sun 6th of November 2005

Stay at your own risk

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"The two stars is to reflect the third room we were offered (apparently an upgrade). Berjaya Beau Vallon is a tired property, The staff is aloof at best and small things have a tendency to wreck a great holiday.

My wife and I started our honeymoon here and this was by far the worst property of the lot. Beau Vallon is a nice area, but the Berjaya can make things difficult. The toilet broke in our third room (upgraded villa near the sea) and after three days and seven or so phone calls to the desk nothing had been done about this. I wouldn't expect this type of neglect at the local Motel 8 so this was rather disappointing."

• Travel date: Sun 7th of August 2005

Nothing Special

Reviewed Wed 17th of October 2012

"The hotel is nothing to sing or dance about. The internal and externals are very old and need updating.
The accommodation is simple but very clean. I would not class this as a 4* hotel.

The food is expensive – you are better of going out to eat as the quality of the food outside the hotel is excellent and the price is a lot better. The mini bar is very expensive too so it’s best to stock up from local shops.

The staff were great – it’s such a shame the hotel is so old – reminded me of hotels in the Caribbean.
I would not recommend this hotel for people between 25-40 as there is not much going on. It’s worth paying the extra and staying at other hotels in the area.

Overall Mahe is beautiful. The Seychellois are lovely people, very polite and make every day a pleasure.

Recommend take a trip to the Seychelles as it is an amazing island. Not commercialised in the slightest."

• Travel date: Wed 11th of May 2005

Highly Recommended

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"My wife and I stayed at this hotel last week. After having read the mostly negative reviews on this site, we were more than a little concerned about what we would find when we arrived. Based on our own experience, I can only say that the negative reviews are highly exagerated. The location of the hotel is perfect for a beach and watersports holiday...right on the best beach on the island, in Baue Vallon Bay. The quality of the rooms and the decor is in line with European holiday-apartment standards, from the Standard room which we stayed in, up to the Superior rooms and Chalets which we also checked out (for our next visit). The quality of the food was excellent. There was a varied local and European menu in one restaurant, a wide variety of fast food and pizzas in the Italian restaurant, and a very good menu in the Chinese restaurant. All of the staff were friendly, courteous and efficient. It depends what kind of holiday you are looking for, however, relative to the other hotels which we visited in the same area, the Berjaya hotel offers excellent service and represents very good value for money, if you want a relaxing and enjoyable beach holiday in the Seychelles."

• Travel date: Tue 19th of April 2005

There are better hotel's in the area!

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"This wasn't the most exciting of resorts I've stayed at, and seeing I was there on honeymoon I wasn't particularly wowed at anything. We upgraded the same day to a chalet which is a lot nicer than the standard room. The hotel has three restaurants, the Parrot - the hotel restaurant. An expensive place to eat so go there only when you're sure you want the buffet meal. The Chinese restaurant which was our favourite of the three because we enjoy Chinese food! Not bad in price though, and the Pizzeria. They have all round food, chips burgers and pizzas. Not bad for easy food and the price was ok. There is a casino in the hotel which was ok - but you have to be smart dressed to enter!!

Anyhow this resort is ok if you want something standard, if you want really nice I would go for the higher star hotels that are on Mahe. They cost more but believe me if you want a romantic holiday they will be worth it!"

• Travel date: Mon 18th of April 2005

Excellent location and new chalet type rooms

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"We, a portuguese family, including three generations, totalling seven people, stayed in this hotel for 8 days in late March/2005. We stayed on a "family plan" with comunicating rooms in the main building part (the older part). Our rooms looked restored and were quite acceptable. However, the path (stairs and corridors) leading to them was old and ugly and we took the chance to upgrade to the new chalet type de-luxe rooms available after a few days. These were nicer, outside the main building and closer to the beach.
I believe the Beau Vallon bay is a good place for those who want do some water sports. In this respect, this hotel and the even older Coral Strand are the best options. They seem to be the most "beach-friendly" hotels (fast access, restaurants and rooms overlooking the sea, etc...).
I had read a lot of criticism towards this hotel in your site, and I must say now it seems exagerated. I found the buffet dinner quite nice and the breakfast only lacked more tropical fruits (strange in this part of the world...).
The service is friendly, but don't expect too much efficiency. Overall, if you book a de-luxe room, I can't see any reason not to recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 17th of April 2005

Jan 2005 - Fantastic beach location but Hotel & Rooms faded and jaded

Reviewed Thu 18th of October 2012

"Count myself lucky that I was staying at the Hotel for 8 days on Business and not around during the day. Rooms, very dated and in need of major refurbishment, only consolation for those holidaying was the wonderful beach setting on this beautiful island. Food and beverage outlets did not measure up on service, food or wine quality, only endured two evening meals, one a very limp tasteless tomato pasta at the "Pizzaria" terrace bar and the other from the onsite "Chinese" restaurant which was not only quite bland but pricey for Chicken with Peppers and plain boiled rice...!! Eating out and sampling the local Creole food though was well worth the effort, tasty, excellent service, always with a smile and at a fraction of the cost in the hotel.
The island itself is very lush and beautiful, a true paradise, I hope my next visit will be for vacation but I'll not be staying at this hotel...!!"

• Travel date: Sun 13th of February 2005

Wouldn't recommend it to anyone

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"Absolutely awful, we checked out after just one hour and booked into Le Meridien Fishermans Cove next door (at a hefty extra cost). When we arrived at the Beau Vallon we couldn't believe our eyes....the hotel was awful, it looked like a 1960's built rundown hospital and inside didn''t get any better. Dreadfully tacky with a smell of grease everywhere.....when we were served our welcome drinks they were in filthy dirty glasses. The sun loungers and umbrellas around the pool would once have been white but now are grey and mostly broken. Then we got to our room (we had been upgraded to a deluxe chalet) which was horrible....it smelt strongly of mould/damp and the bathroom had definetely seen better days. Having come from L'Archipel on Praslin (lovely hotel) we were devastated to think we woul have to stay here for the remainder of our holiday and so left. Dreadful hotel and I would not recommend it to anyone."

• Travel date: Wed 12th of January 2005

Disappointing

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"We stayed here for the start of our honeymoon in July 2004. The hotel was disappointing. The food was bad, though to be fair we had to really hunt around for good food on this holiday. The hotel is dated and something of an eyesore on a fairly good beach (and there are much better beaches on other islands). The room was clean, but in serious need of modernisation and was oversold as having a 'sea view' as you could only just see the sea if you pressed your face to the balcony doors. If you can afford it, stay at Le Meridien Fisherman's Cove, at the end of Beau Valon - it's stunning."

• Travel date: Wed 15th of September 2004

The Staff make this hotel

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"The staff make this hotel! Rooms large bright and clean with nice glassed sitting area-cane sofa and chair and table. Fridge in room (mini bar but space), tea and coffee making facilities (but have to pay per cup!-take your own coffee) Main areas attractive-toilets etc bit jaded. Right on the best beach on the island and 15 mins transfer from airport. Food reasonable (I dont think you come to the seychelles for the food!). Staff lovely-from the very efficent cleaning ladies who didnt complain about the amount of sand my kids brought in and even folded their pyjamas on the pillow, to the pizza restaurant staff who treated the kids like royalty and after the first visit had the ketchup waiting Pool bit deep and cold for small children-thats the only downside. Would go back tomorrow"

• Travel date: Sun 5th of September 2004

Hotels near Berjaya Beau Vallon Bay Resort & Casino - Seychelles

Top traveller tips for Berjaya Beau Vallon Bay Resort & Casino - Seychelles

• Jack Daniel by Jack Daniel

"Dont bother - go to the Beachcombers in Mauritius "

Berjaya Beau Vallon Bay Resort & Casino - Seychelles is also called