Four Seasons Resort Seychelles at Desroches Island

• diving
  • windsurfing amenities
  • yoga classes amenities

Good

It was the most FANTASTIC place!

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"The Desroches resort was beautiful! The staff were all extremly friendly and helpful. We stayed there for 6 days and it wasn't long enough. The room was excellent with an outdoor bath and shower, massive gorgeous bed, elegantly decorated and I haven't even mentioned the beach yet! Just a few steps out your door and there in front of you is the magnificent beach. We also did some cyling around the Island which takes you into the lush trees and you soon find yourselves all alone. The memories are endless... Giant tortoises, scrumptious food, lovely staff, beautiful beach, elegant room, bike rides, true paradise... I could go on and on!"

• Travel date: Fri 26th of October 2007

Overpriced for what it is

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"We stayed at Descroches for the last part of our honeymoon and left feeling very disappointed. The island itself is lovely and the range of activities that you can do - including travelling around the island on your own bikes - mean that you are rarely bored however it is let down by poorly maintained equipment, disorganised staff, and the food was just awful! We went diving once however after that the boat was out of action due to a hole and also lack of petrol. There was no back-up. The same was true of the food of which it was obvious they were on to the last supplies. The two well run areas of the resort are the spa (which we made good use of!) and the house-keeping (which was immaculate). Beware of the huge biting flies which mean that you can not sun-bathe for any length of time. Finally the really expensive drinks meant that - even if like us you drank hardly anything but water - you still end up with a horrendous bill at the end which left a very sour taste."

• Travel date: Mon 15th of October 2007

Started bad but ended good

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"We stayed here for a couple of days for our honeymoon. We started out at this accomodation in a not so nice way however things were rectified by the manager the same day. The staff and manager worked side by side and made a great team. The rooms were nicely laid everyday. The food was alright and more western but nothing of the local food. Non-local items are quite expensive in the hotel. I also found the spa quite pricey, for example a basic manicure cost 35euros without nail polish and with polish is an extra 10euros.
The beach is good for walking but not for getting a tan because of the big flies and mosquitoes.
There were lots of shells and dead coral on the beach."

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of August 2007

Tranquil place, wonderful service, great diving

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"We visited Desroches over Easter 2007, me, my husband and 16 year old daughter. The place is beautiful. As you arrive you walk through a cocunut grove to reception where you are greeted with cool cloths and coccnut milk drink. Rooms are situated along the beach (only about 20 in all). In front is a small lawn, palm trees and the beach. The rooms are big with an inside and big outside sitting area, separate loo and wonderfully big bathroom with outddor bath and shower. Rooms are well appointed with safe, TV, phone, bathrobes, loads of towells and electric points that fit British plugs. The furntiture is robust and well designed. Sinks are modern, like stand alone bowls. Everything has a flower on it when you arrive.

The food is excellent. Breakfast is a cold buffet with lots of fruit, cheese, breads, cakes and ham and any kind of hot breakfast you choose to order. Lunch is at little tables with their own shade by the beach, with a buffet which includes freshly cooked fish and a great choice of deserts. Dinner is sometimes a buffet and sometimes a set menu with 5 courses - sometimes we left some out as it made you quite full, but everything was beautifully cooked.

The diving was excellent. See pictures above and http://homepage.mac.com/bobwalding/PhotoAlbum13.html. Tana and George were excellent dive guides and the sites are many and varied with interesting caves and swim throughs and many big fish. We went on an excursion to Pepper Island and were lucky enough to snorkel with mantas while we were there.

We didn't saw big spiders on Pepper Island but not on Desroches even though we cycled through the woods - which was lovely. There are lots of hilarious hermit crabs on Desroches and green lizards. In the evening we did put on insect repellent as my daughter got bitten three times the first night. This seemd to work!

The staff couldn't have been kinder. My husband hurt his foot badly during our stay jmuping off a boat and they aranged a medical evacuation to Mahe and a hotel and taxi for me. We had to leave my daughter behind on the Island and everyone made a great fuss of her. All the staff were really kind and friendly. The only two things I didn't like were the cocktails. I tried a lot and they were either too sweet or not sweet enough and the cost of the drinks. A cocktail was 14 euros and a coke 6 euros which is quite a lot when it all adds up at the end. However, they offer carafes of water free at every meal so you don't always have to buy drinks.

However, I would strongly recommend this place to anyone. It is sheer bliss."

• Travel date: Fri 13th of April 2007

Unbelievable island - real paradise on earth!

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"I cannot even begin to say how much I loved this island and hotel. My husband and I just got back from a 9 day stay which was absolutely wonderful, to say the least.

Desroches is a small private island that is 35 minutes by plane from the main island of Mahe. There is nothing much on the island besides the hotel (there are about 9 houses on the island in total, but nothing else!). The hotel has something like 25 junior suites, all identical that are situated on the beach (not directly on the sand - you have to walk on a bit of grass garden to get to the sand). The rooms are clean with a simple luxury to them (don't expect large plasma tvs and surround sound systems).

The island is absolutely beautiful and feels very untouched. You get mountain bikes with the room and you can go cycling around the island in the jungle, which is amazing. When you do this, you often come up to these small paths that lead to deserted beaches that are unreal - you almost feel like you're part of a postcard!

The hotel staff are very friendly - I think this is the best service I have ever had at a hotel (and I've been to many 5 star hotels around the world). They are all always smiling and will help you with just about anything.

The atmosphere of the hotel is great as well. It's funny because during the day all the guests dissappear to their own plans, and then they all congregate for the 3 meals that are included in the full board. Breakfast is in the restaurant, lunch is a buffet on the beach, and dinner is either in the restaurant or on the beach, depending on the night. The chef is great - we were there for 9 days and we never felt that the food was repetative. Although almost everything is imported, the food was so fresh and tasty. I am also not a big fan of fish, but the grilled fish that they do on the barbecue is really amazing.

We were disappointed by the beach the first couple of days because there was a lot of algae floating around, but I think it was a weather thing and one day the algae just disappeared and the beach was turquoise again - just pristine and beautiful which is how it usually is. The water is really warm too. We tried to snorkle several times but I have to say that we had trouble finding good corals - we did see some interesting fish and many people even saw rays and turtles. We also went diving which was magnificent. The one major negative point is that the diving centre is not very professional, but I think the hotel is doing something to address this as many people complained. The problem is that the hotel sub-contracts the diving centre to a professional group, and this group hasn't been on top of things as they should be.

The massages at the spa are some of the best I have had in my life. The two Balinese girls there are really nice and give excellent massages.

There are a lot of couples honeymooning etc., but as we were there the week of Easter there were many families with children as well. Although there is no kids club or the like, the children there loved it because they also have bicycles for kids and a tennis court. The swimming pool is quite kid friendly too as is has some shallow parts.

There is no mobile phone reception on the island, so you really feel disconnected from the rest of the world, which I think is part of the charm of this island. My husband was complaining about this (as he is a phone addict), but by the end of our stay he was so relaxed and forgot about the phone thing.

I highly recommend Desroches and cannot wait to go back there, soon I hope! Do not expect an over the top luxurious hotel, but I can almost guarantee you will relax and unwind and really enjoy what the island has to offer - just beautiful!"

• Travel date: Tue 10th of April 2007

Best ever

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"Cannot say enough about this resort. Located on a paradise island perfect for honeymoon or couples looking for a quiet break. Staff are the most friendly helpful and eager to please I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. Included in booking are 3 meals a day of the highest quality food, bicycles left outside the door of every room, use of water sports equipment inc paddle boats windsurfing boards, canoes. Rooms are beautifully maintained which staff clean to the highest standards and turn down bed at night. Beach surrounding island are paradise, plenty of coral for snorkling. TV has movie channels perfect for evening viewing after a relaxing day on the beach. Dinner sometimes served on beach - what a setting, has to be seen to be believed. One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. If looking for some night life this is not the place for you however."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of April 2007

topclass

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"We went to Deroches for our honeymoon. We were looking for somewhere very quiet, somewhere to totally relax, preferably with few people. We were not disappointed. Deroches is superb, whilst we were there we saw very little of the other guests at the hotel. For the majority of the time we had the beaches to ourselves. Cycles are provided and it is easy to cycle round the island to various beaches. There is some snorkelling and we were lucky enough to see a turtle, but it was not as easy as we had anticipated to find the coral and if you are not a good swimmer you might not see as much as you hope.
The staff at the hotel are polite friendly and the service is first class. The rooms are comfortable and everything is kept to a high standard
The food is beautifully cooked and presented. The staff make enormous efforts to ensure guests have a fantastic time
If you are someone who needs to be entertained or have music playing al the time this is not the island for you. But if you want peace and a sense of having nothing to do you will be in paradise
I would add there are a lot of spiders hanging on big webs amongst the trees They do not bite or sting, but if you are scared of spiders I would just like you to be aware there are a lot of them and they are everywhere on the island and around the hotel grounds."

• Travel date: Sun 31st of December 2006

Paradise

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"We went here for our honeymoon. I've been lucky to visit several nice resorts, but none come close to this.

Room, food, service, location all amazing. This is paradise, well away from the tourist trail of mahe - you'll feel like you have the place to yourself. Secluded beaches, palm tree plantations, giant tortoises and more.

Only notes of caution:

Divers - check the season carefully as the visibility is poor at the wrong time of year.

Hotel Expansion - while we were there the hotel had about 20 rooms and it felt deserted most of the time, even when fully occupied. However the hotel was planning to expand significantly. Don't be concerned about it disrupting your stay if construction does go ahead as the new site is well away from the existing hotel. However, once open the hotel and island will inevitably lose the amazing sense of seclusion it has now. Check before you book!

Singles/Friends - only worth it if you're divers, this is a couples place.

Kids - will get bored

As it was when we were there - first class in every respect. Ignore the comments by other reviewers that this place is not 5 star. If you want butlers and bell boys, why would you go to a tiny island in the middle of nowhere! Paradise."

• Travel date: Sat 2nd of December 2006

Beauty and Quiet

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"I went with a friend who doesn't enjoy water activities such as snorkeling or scuba, so she was content to stay at the pool in the sun all day and rest. it was very relaxing for her and she usually didn't see anyone at all until mealtimes. I went out biking, snorkeling, diving, and loved every minute of it, yet still found it to be very peaceful and relaxing due to the lack of people, great rooms, great service, great food. It is definitely meant for couples though, however they accomodated our separate bed request just fine. the spa is nice and offers all services you could want, and we both enjoyed our various massages immensely. It was really a great deal considering everything. i woke up this morning wishing i could be back there among the quiet and beauty of the island."

• Travel date: Sat 17th of June 2006

Simple and lovely

Reviewed Sat 8th of December 2012

"Desroches was the first stop of our 4 week honeymoon and did not disappoint. It is a large island a flight away from Mahe. We were greeted on arrival at the air strip by cool drinks and a singer with a guitar welcoming us to the island - delightful. Our room was lovely - quite large with a four poster bed draped in muslin and a mosquito net (which was welcomed and needed). It was set back off the beach - nice views but private too. The resort was very quiet and peaceful and we only really saw other guests at meal times, which were very laid back affairs. The food was good but tended to be a bit repetitive after a few days as there was always a set menu which allowed for no choice. That said, it was all inclusive and there was no risk of going hungry, so we can't complain. The hotel was lovely - great location on the beach. The pool was large and pleasant - we spent a day next to it and were the only people there. The restaurant is lanscaped around the pool which makes dining there lovely. Exploring the island on the provided bicycles was great fun - it is huge and well worth the effort (which I'm afraid it was in the heat with full-on jet lag!). We made our way to a gorgeous deserted beach on another side of the island - how wonderful to look both ways down miles of white sand and be the only people on it. Bliss. The staff here were wonderful - friendly and always smiling. One night they hosted a cocktail party and beach BBQ which was lovely. As honeymooners, on our last night they surprised us with a private meal on the beach, set out with candles and flowers and waited on us all evening. They refused to allow us to pay for any of the food and wine that night.
We stayed for 4 nights and felt that this was enough.
Desroches is simply charming - it is not 5 star, so do not expect extras like room service, gourmet dining, or a spa. But if you want simple relaxation in a lovely setting without paying the outrageous prices of some of the Seychelles resorts, it's hard to beat."

• Travel date: Mon 29th of May 2006