Terrace at the La Tangerina

Good
Good

Wonderful!

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"La Tangerina was an oasis of calm and beauty. The hosts were extremely accommodating, friendly, and helpful. The price was incredibly cheap for the quality of the rooms, service, and ambiance we enjoyed. Gorgeous views on the rooftop terrace overlooking the Straights of Gibraltar."

• Travel date: 19th October 2007

Wonderful Tangerina

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"We absolutely loved La Tangerina and had it not been for this lovely little 10 room Riad, we would have had a miserable time in Tangier. Firstly, we were stupid enough to visit during Ramadan, which can be an great experience if you're staying with a family and can participate in their evening and night time activities, but if you're tourists trying to eat at your normal times and enjoy the culinary variety Morocco usually has to offer then Ramadan is the wrong time to visit. We were only here for two days during our 2 1/2 week stay in Marbella. We drove down to Tarifa and took the fast(ish) ferry over to Tangier. We paid a total of 110 euros return for two adults and left the car in Spain. Be warned, as we were and were therefore prepared, that lots of so-called 'guides' will pounce on you in the port. Look like you know where you're going (even if this is difficult as the signage in Morocco is non-existent) and just say non merci to everyone. Jump in a yellow petit taxi and head for town. This should not cost more than 10-15 dirhams. Make sure you tell him to turn the meter on. On arrival at the hotel we were shown to the roof terrace as our room was not yet ready and we were given a pot of delicious mint tea and a plate of traditional Moroccan biscuits. Jurgen & his wife Farida speak flawless English and are extremely hospitable. We are glad we've seen Tangier and despite a wonderful hotel, we are reluctant to visit again. One of the main reasons is the persistent 'guides', some as young as 5 or 6 years old. Wherever you go, if you look even slightly lost or take your map out to have a quick look, someone will pounce and just start telling you which way to go. At first it appears they just want to help, but they want your cash. If you are rude they will just be nasty and still not go away - they can follow you for hours in they think there's money in it for them. I read in Lonely Planet that if you say, I want to spend time alone with (whoever you are with), please respect my wishes, they will leave you alone. Sorry this was more of a review of Tangier than the hotel, but hope it helps."

• Travel date: 5th October 2007

Our Favorite Riad in Morocco!

Reviewed 6th November 2012

"We had an amazing time at La Tangerina! We arrived very late into Tangier (around 2 am!) extremely tired, hungry, and with no cash. We were greeted at the Riad with welcoming smiles and delicious snacks, and they even lent us cash for our taxi. Headed up to our room in the dark, only to wake up the next morning taken aback by the incredible beauty of the property. The owners were extremely friendly and overly accommodating and willing to help us, the roof terrace is beautiful, the breakfast is great and this was by far our favorite stay in Morocco! So sad that it was just for one night...."

• Travel date: 15th August 2007

Fantastic place, go there and be charmed

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"Amazing small and cosy hotel in the center of the old kasbah. I really hope to be able to go back soon and enjoy thís fantastic hotel."

• Travel date: 12th August 2007

a great week at the Tangerina

Reviewed 10th November 2012

"The three of us spent a fabulous week at the Tangerina beginning of April. It is a beautiful house that is elegantly decorated with just enough moroccan atmosphere and all the modern comforts. The place is immaculately clean, quiet and right in the kasbah and at the edge of the medina so very conveniently located at the heart of things. You can walk almost everywhere but after a day of walking up and down the medina steps you welcome the very cheap "petit taxis". We had the room at the top of the house and even though the bathroom is tiny it was adequate. The room has its own private little terrace on one side and the hotel terrace on the other with breathtaking views on the sea and Spain beyond. Farida and Jurgen, the owners, are friendly, very helpful with reservations and information and smiled constantly and chatted with us even when the house was full and very busy. The personnel was extremely pleasant, the breakfasts were plentiful and delicious and the afternoon drinks on the terrace were what dreams are made of. We treated ourselves to the newly restored in-house hammam (a jewel of moroccan architecture) followed by a delicious dinner. After a hammam you feel so mellow it is all you can do to walk back up to your room. To sum up: . a beautiful place in a great location . fabulous hospitality . clean and efficient . we highly recommend it"

• Travel date: 21st April 2007

Very pleasant introduction to Morocco

Reviewed 4th December 2012

"Our arrival at La Tangerina was a relief after the crossing to Tanger from Tarifa in a cold rain storm and the confusion of the port. . Due to the poor weather we did not seek out dining spots in Tanger but prevailed upon the willing staff of the riad to fix us a hot lunch, served in our very attractive small suite, and later an evening meal in the small dining room. La Tangerina was the first of a series of dars and riads we had chosen for our trip to Morocco and we were not disappointed. Between rain drops we visited the nearby kasbah and museum and later made a run into town to buy some wine. The owners were in Europe on vacation but we were well taken care of by the staff. La Tangerina is an excellent place to lay your head in this somewhat caotic city. Bring cash as they did not acept credit cards, something not uncommon in Morocco we discovered."

• Travel date: 19th April 2007

Heaven

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"I have just returned from a short holiday at the Tangerina. It is a warm welcoming sanctuary in the middle of a very lively city. The decor is superb and the hospitality unequalled. As a woman travelling by herself, I was made to feel safe and secure. I was made to feel part of the family after being invited several times to join Farida Jurgen and their children for dinner. Farida and Jurgen are always there to help with advice on places to visit, restaurants to eat at etc. All the staff were extremely polite and nothing was too much trouble for them. Farida and Jurgen even came with me on several trips to show me around Tangiers and took me to the port on my departure to help with sorting out my travel back to Spain. Can't wait to return."

• Travel date: 11th January 2007

Threatened by police, ripped-off

Reviewed 10th November 2012

"By email I had reserved a double room for one night at 50 Euros. On arrival we were taken to a quite small room with a sleeping platform over the bathroom. As the room, like the hotel in general, was nicely decorated, the hotel offers easy access to the Medina, and from the roof there are fine views of the city, we decided to extend our stay by two more nights in the same room. When checking out after the third night I was extremely surprised by being charged 300 Euros for the stay, the manager, Ms. Najouna, explaining that we had been staying in a suite! I protested, of course, referred to my email, and asked to speak to the proprietor. I was told by Ms. N and her sister, who had now joined us at the hotel office, that the proprietor was in Spain, and unavailable on the phone. And that, if I did not pay the 300 Euros, they would call the police. I told them to go ahead and call the police. They conferred in Arabic, and Ms. N now called, not the police, but the proprietor who after all was available on the phone. I explained the situation, and again referred to my email reservation. According to him a misunderstanding had occurred, and he subsequently instructed Ms. H to write out my invoice, copy of which I also enclose. Even if tastefully decorated a price of 50 Euros for a room of its size, with no heating, climatization, television, phone, or other amenities, would be considered high in Morocco and other countries on both sides of the Mediterranean by most people. But the prices for the extras, as you will see from the attached invoice, must be considered exorbitant anywhere in the world. Coffee at 8 Euros a cup, and a one-page map, which other hotels would hand out free, at 5 Euros!"

• Travel date: 5th January 2007

very welcoming treated like one of the family

Reviewed 4th December 2012

"Only just registered on trip advisor but first thing i could do was to leave a review for La Tangerina where we stayed in July 06. We fell in love with the house (its too formal to call it a hotel) every room was magic i would have love to stay in each, we had the top room on the terrace and everything was authentic the view over the city was wonderous. The owners Jurgen & the beautiful Farina made us feel really welcome and they invited us to lunch with their friends, thank goodness for that because we were new to Tanger and my husband hated it from the moment we step foot off the ferry. We even spent the evening in the company of them and their friends when Germany were playing in the World Cup and they shared their family dinner with us. Jurgen even took us to the port to pick up the ferry to Tarifa. My advice is if you do visit Tanger go and stay at this beautiful Oasis high in the Kasbah because to us La Tangerina was the only place of sanity in Tanger. It was spotless clean, 5* and a special place, birdsofafeather1 Essex (Gina)"

• Travel date: 31st October 2006

Great authentic Moroccan hospitality

Reviewed 6th November 2012

"The hotel is a restored Moroccan small "palace" in the Moroc/Andaluz style. Owned by German Jurgen and his Moroccan wife Farida, they provide simple, clean, comfortable accommodation in an authentic setting. Their rooftop terrace is magnificent, overlooking the Straits of Gibralter and clear views onto the Spanish coastline. Tangier itself is quite run down and shabby. Not to be recommended for more than one night and certainly do not visit during Ramadan. No restaurants open until 8pm. Best restaurants close for the month."

• Travel date: 29th September 2006

Hotels near La Tangerina

La Tangerina is also called

• la tangerina tangier
  • la tangerina hotel tangier